PDA

View Full Version : Whats in a name?

GVGjr
23-01-2007, 09:14 AM
A simple question to all Bulldog fans.
Has the name change from the Footscray Football club to the Western Bulldogs really been a success?

When Smorgan first rose to power in the bloodless coup he stated that the the analysis he had done highlighted that the name of the Footscray Football Club was not recognised by the local community. The Western region of Melbourne had a population of 400,000 plus people and basically as far as Smorgan was concerned we wern't tapped into it because the FFC was not recognised by the region. The name change to the Western Bulldogs was apparently required to become a club that represented the region as opposed to just the Footscray area.

A few years back when we were really struggling to attract a proper major sponsor a few functions were held to try and sell the club to the region and I think Eddie McGuire was involved. The upshot was that very few local businesses actually supported the Club in any real capacity and this problem still exists as far as I am concerned.

If we really haven't attracted significant sponsorship and support in the region does the Western Bulldogs name really give us any competative advantage?
Would a name change that reinstated the Footscray name be worth a shot?
Have we gone to far down the road to turn the ship back?

If you check the Footscray not the Western Bulldogs site you can see the reasons why the name change wasn't the right move and I would be interested to hear others thoughts?

The Coon Dog
23-01-2007, 06:01 PM
I'm not worried what we're called. I just usually refer to us as the Bulldogs. They're my team, regardless of what they're called. I don't think the club has had as many members/sponsors so I don't think the name change has hurt. Just a personal view, something I am not too concerned about.

BulldogBelle
23-01-2007, 06:08 PM
Whilst at first the name change did annoy me a little when it was changed to the Western Bulldogs, as time has passed I quite like it now and don't really have an issue with it.

Dry Rot
23-01-2007, 06:14 PM
Is there any evidence that the name change helped commerically?

The Bulldogs Bite
23-01-2007, 06:15 PM
I'm not worried what we're called. I just usually refer to us as the Bulldogs. They're my team, regardless of what they're called. I don't think the club has had as many members/sponsors so I don't think the name change has hurt. Just a personal view, something I am not too concerned about.

Ditto my thoughts.

I personally prefer "Western Bulldogs" over Footscray, anyway, but either way I'm not exactly fussed.

Long as we win, I'm happy.

bornadog
23-01-2007, 11:37 PM
Whilst at first the name change did annoy me a little when it was changed to the Western Bulldogs, as time has passed I quite like it now and don't really have an issue with it.

I agree, I felt the same way as you, but now I think its actually better as it is meant to represent the whole of the western suburbs. It time it will, many other supporter still call us Footscray but that will change. As long as the team is still Melbourne based, thats all I worry about.

alwaysadog
24-01-2007, 12:17 AM
I lamented the loss of the Footscray name initially, but then I realised Footscray isn't the same suburb it was when I was growing up and football is also a different game.

Names no longer worry me, but I suspect that it is easier to attract sponsors to the Western Bulldogs than it would be to the Footscray Football Club.

What I am more concerned about is the nature of the club. I see little evidence that it is more distant from its supporters and plenty to suggest that it is closer and that it sees itself as having a role to play in helping the less advantaged members of the western suburbs community. What's more it's been winning awards for doing it.

Names and what people say interest me less than what people do. I prefer to judge the club and its endevours by the latter criteria.

LostDoggy
24-01-2007, 07:18 AM

I'm a little the same but I don't think the name change did us any good from a membership (initially) or from a sponsorship perspective.
It's too late to make the change but as members we should be more dillegent in just accepting proposals like this in the future. The whole proposal was supposed to appeal to the western region of Melbourne but unless things have change in the past few months then it just hasn't worked.

aker39
24-01-2007, 09:46 AM
I'm a little the same but I don't think the name change did us any good from a membership (initially) or from a sponsorship perspective.
It's too late to make the change but as members we should be more dillegent in just accepting proposals like this in the future. The whole proposal was supposed to appeal to the western region of Melbourne but unless things have change in the past few months then it just hasn't worked.

I would have thought the huge increase in membership is a success.

I'd love to know the demographics of our membership

Go_Dogs
24-01-2007, 09:51 AM
I don't think it has made too much of a difference, if anything it has probably helped the clubs image off the field, losing the scragger reputation a bit, playing some good football under the name, and being seen as a more regional club, rather than purely a Footscray club. Not living in Melbourne I probably am not witness to a lot of the changes that have occurred since the name change, but personally, I don't have anything against it. I still have my Footscray jumpers, scarfs and beanies though, that I wear to games I attend.

Dry Rot
24-01-2007, 10:42 AM
I'd love to know the demographics of our membership

Agreed. I understand that the area of Footscray is changing and most of our supporters may well come from other adjoining areas these days anyway.

The theory IMO of representing the greater west with the name change is a good one, but who knows how well it has gone in practice.

Maybe the planets will line up for us in the next couple years ie The Dons will bottom out just as we pick up a flag, and we take advantage of the bandwagon effect.

Twodogs
24-01-2007, 12:10 PM
Maybe the planets will line up for us in the next couple years ie The Dons will bottom out just as we pick up a flag, and we take advantage of the bandwagon effect.

You see far more Bulldog stickers in Essendon and Moonee Ponds than you see Essendon stickers. I dont know whether that means that

a/ Our supporters display their allegience more than Essendon

or

b/ Theres lots of Bulldog supporting people living behind enemy lines

BulldogBelle
24-01-2007, 12:26 PM
You see far more Bulldog stickers in Essendon and Moonee Ponds than you see Essendon stickers.

That is very true, living very close to Essendon I see the Dogs stickers on a lot of cars - which reminds me I must put one on my new car. Also having worked in Essendon, I have met a lot of Bulldog supporters in that area and chatting with the Essendon supporters a lot of them look at the Bulldogs as their neighbours and have even purchased Bulldog Memberships as they love the way the Doggies play.

aker39
24-01-2007, 01:45 PM
You see far more Bulldog stickers in Essendon and Moonee Ponds than you see Essendon stickers. I dont know whether that means that

a/ Our supporters display their allegience more than Essendon

or

b/ Theres lots of Bulldog supporting people living behind enemy lines

I think Option A is correct.

I live in Moonee Ponds, and before that Essendon.

Ricky Oleranshaw, Dean Soloman (used too) and Mark Alvey all live in my street. Out the front of their house is a car with a bulldog sticker on it. It may be Ricky's, I think he barracked for the dogs.

I can assure that Bulldog supporters are certainly out numbered by Essendon supporters. I went to school in Essendon and used to cop so much s*** as we would get pumped by Essendon everytime we played. The one time we managed to beat them, I was on school holidays and couldn't give it back to them.

Twodogs
24-01-2007, 02:00 PM
I think Option A is correct.

I live in Moonee Ponds, and before that Essendon.

Ricky Oleranshaw, Dean Soloman (used too) and Mark Alvey all live in my street. Out the front of their house is a car with a bulldog sticker on it. It may be Ricky's, I think he barracked for the dogs.

I can assure that Bulldog supporters are certainly out numbered by Essendon supporters. I went to school in Essendon and used to cop so much s*** as we would get pumped by Essendon everytime we played. The one time we managed to beat them, I was on school holidays and couldn't give it back to them.

Oleranshaw was/is a bulldog supporter. His family have a paint shop in Sunshine and I know his brother and dad are.

I lived in Smith Street in Moonee Ponds for a while back in the '80s. I came home from Windy Hill in my Bulldog scarf after we beat them there in '87 and none of the neighbours said another word to any of us for the next couple of months.

bresker
25-01-2007, 01:42 AM
I lived in Moonee Ponds two years ago and it was hell getting the Broady line train on matchdays when we played the Bombers. I was hugely outnumbered by Dons fans. We aren't well represented at all on the Broady line, judging by the trains; Hawks and Roos fans would outnumber the Dogs until we got to Kensington.

Anyway, have a look at this:

http://collingwoodfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=309464

Pies to provide $1.5m to the West
10:12:39 AM Mon 11 December, 2006
Collingwood Football Club

The Collingwood Football Club maintains a proud tradition of strong community involvement at all levels, and is particularly pleased to announce that the Club will contribute in excess of $1.5M to the Shire of Melton over the next ten years.

This commitment represents one of the most significant financial contributions by any AFL club to a local community in the history of the VFL/AFL.

The first stage of the community funding was completed on the 31 October, 2006 when Greg Swann, the Club's CEO, handed a cheque for $407,000.00 to the Mayor of Melton, Cr Chris Papas at a ceremony held at the Club�s venue in Caroline Springs. For the next nine years Collingwood will contribute a further $120,000.00 per annum to the Shire of Melton as part of its ongoing commitment to the communities of Caroline Springs and Melton.

The Club, through its Chief Operating Officer, Eugene Arocca, will form part of a committee made up of local representatives who will make recommendations to the Council in relation to the recipients of the funding, which will include not only sporting groups but a variety of community and welfare causes.

The first round of funding has seen a major contribution of $250,000.00 towards the cost of the pavilion for the oval which is home to the Western Jets Football Club. In addition payments were made to the following local sporting clubs:

# Diggers Rest Football / Netball Club
# Melton Central Football / Netball Club
# Melton Football Club
# Melton South Football and Netball Club
# Rockbank District Football Club Inc
# Sydenham / Hillside Football Club
# Melton Basketball Association Inc and
# Melton Netball Association

Club CEO Greg Swann stated: "We are particularly pleased to be so active in the community at the grass roots level. This will compliment what is already a very significant contribution through local, state and national programs.

"Collingwood has always had a proud tradition of community involvement and we believe that this initiative in Melton will set new standards not only within the AFL but also for any sporting association. We are intent on being the biggest philanthropic sporting club in Australia."

----------------------------------------------------------

I'm worried by this. The Melton Shire is huge these days, with the new developments through Caroline Springs & Sydenham/Hillside. I teach in the primary schools around this district, and there are very few young Doggies fans in the outer west. Collingwood has the monery and muscle to move into this territory, and the club needs to respond.

The Collingwood Football Club owns a hotel in Caroline Springs called 'The Club.' I choose to boycott this establishment.:)

We're doing great in the heartlands of Yarraville, 'Scray and Spotswood; good in Altona & Hoppers Crossing; OK in Sunshine & St Albans - kudos to Higgins & Crossy for their trip out to St Albans North Primary School for a coaching session with some very deprived kids.

But our representation out in the new suburbs is very poor. Tigers players have been out in Sydenham PS doing healthy eating & coaching clinics and now we see the Pies get very heavily involved.

If we really are the Western Bulldogs we need to get a presence out there. I've been meaning to contact the club about this issue so I'll be using this post as an e-mail to send to Cam Rose tomorrow. We need to act now.

LostDoggy
25-01-2007, 07:26 AM
Agreed. I understand that the area of Footscray is changing and most of our supporters may well come from other adjoining areas these days anyway.

The theory IMO of representing the greater west with the name change is a good one, but who knows how well it has gone in practice.

Just reading in the Hun today a respected North administrator wants to return the Kangaroos back to the North Melbourne name.
I understand all the reasons why Smorgan wanted the name changed but perhaps just until the last 2 years it was a dismal failure in attracting the Western Region businesses in supporting the club.

I won't be as quick to support radical changes like this again.

LostDoggy
04-03-2009, 05:52 PM
Would've loved to have kept the Footscray name, but then again Western Oval as well.

I think we probably did the right thing, seeing as though the AFL killed off local clubs long ago. When the AFL forced clubs to play at TD & MCG it changed the whole look of things, there was never money invested in local grounds to keep them up to scratch.

We are only Footscray in training ground now, we are spread out across Melbourne a lot more now & it has probably helped the club survive.

mighty_west
04-03-2009, 06:33 PM
It's one of those unknowns, who REALLY knows either way, perhaps it wasn't so much the name, but the people in charge that got us where we are today, could Smorgan & Rose have done just as good a job off field had we kept the name? who knows.

It wasn't a real major issue for myself, like Coon Dog said, we are the Bulldogs, we are the same club, we are the same colours, we never merged, we never died, we are still the same club that won 9 VFA Premierships & 1 VFL flag.

To me, as a lifetime supporter, the colours & logo & ground are more important to the name Footscray, the club still lives in Footscray, it's our base.

It would have been nice to remain Footscray, but like i said, it's not so much of an issue, the times have changed, we don't play in the VFL any longer, it's not just a suburban league.

Max469
04-03-2009, 09:34 PM
I didn't like it at first.

Doesn't bother me now. Most times just say 'Dogs or Doggies' anyway. Sometimes I still say Footscray.

It is about the colours, as long as they don't take them away from us, I will be okay.

Dogs, Bulldogs, Footscray or Western Bulldogs - doesn't matter - they are who we all seem to live and breath whatever we call them.

The last couple of years we have had more members than we ever had - it was not because of the name - it was because we were winning.

Prince Imperial
04-03-2009, 10:59 PM
We still are the Footscray Football Club based in West Footscray and are also the Western Bulldogs. I alternate between both names. I tend to think the new name, which I opposed at the time (even wrote a letter to Smorgo!) has been a good thing for the club. Whether we like it or not, the suburb Footscray has a rather poor reputation and I think the more generic, regional name has helped us attract supporters in the broader West and corporate support. The reality is we have had this new name for 12 seasons now and a whole generation has grown up identifying with it - there's no going back. For us old time supporters, though, we have every right to still call our club Footscray.

KT31
04-03-2009, 11:30 PM
I think the name change has been successful and will be a greater success in years to come.
And at least now we can't get mocked by the stupid Franco Cotzo add.

LostDoggy
05-03-2009, 04:06 PM
The name change has probably helped us break away from the stigma associated woth Footscray, bu it makes no difference to me what we are called. No matter what it is still the club I have loved all my life and that is all that matters.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
05-03-2009, 06:44 PM
I must admit that when we first changed our name I was annoyed. However as the years passed and all in all we have otherwise maintained our club's heritage, I have grown used to it. I still from time to time refer to us as Footscray, but more and more I have become accustomed to our Western Bulldogs name.
I also think that the plan of generating a larger support amongs the Greater Western suburbs by way of changing our name to the Western Bulldogs is a long term process, perhaps a generational one.

It may not pay in the short term or even medium term but in the long run, providing we can build a sustainable financial future, I think we can capitalise more and more on being the team of the West.

The reason I think it will be a long term thing, is that many of the people who have moved to the expanding outer western suburbs have moved there from somewhere else, and often have moved there with allegiances to other clubs.

However over a long time frame as more and more people grow up their and in turn have kids that live there, the prospect of us becoming a more obvious club of choice will increase.

Maybe this is flawed thinking, but all in all I think we are in a better position in terms of having a larger base to draw our future fans from, than say a club like North Melbourne who occupy a small georgraphic area.

mighty_west
05-03-2009, 07:28 PM
Whilst it's just a small issue, but when we play our heritage games, wear the old jumpers etc, would be nice if they actually played the old "Sons Of The Scray" when we ran out and after the game if we won, rather than Sons Of The West.

Drunken Bum
05-03-2009, 07:35 PM
Whilst it's just a small issue, but when we play our heritage games, wear the old jumpers etc, would be nice if they actually played the old "Sons Of The Scray" when we ran out and after the game if we won, rather than Sons Of The West.
I for one love that idea, i reckon it would be sensational to belt out the old "Sons of the Scray" again, and is a great reminder as to where we have come from too.

hujsh
05-03-2009, 08:27 PM
I for one love that idea, i reckon it would be sensational to belt out the old "Sons of the Scray" again, and is a great reminder as to where we have come from too.

The idea of a poor club building itself to become a powerful one might be relateable to some people who've immigrated here from poorer countries as well.

craigsahibee
06-03-2009, 01:32 PM
I lived in Moonee Ponds two years ago and it was hell getting the Broady line train on matchdays when we played the Bombers. I was hugely outnumbered by Dons fans. We aren't well represented at all on the Broady line, judging by the trains; Hawks and Roos fans would outnumber the Dogs until we got to Kensington.

Anyway, have a look at this:

http://collingwoodfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=309464

Pies to provide $1.5m to the West
10:12:39 AM Mon 11 December, 2006
Collingwood Football Club

The Collingwood Football Club maintains a proud tradition of strong community involvement at all levels, and is particularly pleased to announce that the Club will contribute in excess of $1.5M to the Shire of Melton over the next ten years.

This commitment represents one of the most significant financial contributions by any AFL club to a local community in the history of the VFL/AFL.

The first stage of the community funding was completed on the 31 October, 2006 when Greg Swann, the Club's CEO, handed a cheque for $407,000.00 to the Mayor of Melton, Cr Chris Papas at a ceremony held at the Club�s venue in Caroline Springs. For the next nine years Collingwood will contribute a further $120,000.00 per annum to the Shire of Melton as part of its ongoing commitment to the communities of Caroline Springs and Melton.

The Club, through its Chief Operating Officer, Eugene Arocca, will form part of a committee made up of local representatives who will make recommendations to the Council in relation to the recipients of the funding, which will include not only sporting groups but a variety of community and welfare causes.

The first round of funding has seen a major contribution of $250,000.00 towards the cost of the pavilion for the oval which is home to the Western Jets Football Club. In addition payments were made to the following local sporting clubs:

# Diggers Rest Football / Netball Club
# Melton Central Football / Netball Club
# Melton Football Club
# Melton South Football and Netball Club
# Rockbank District Football Club Inc
# Sydenham / Hillside Football Club
# Melton Basketball Association Inc and
# Melton Netball Association

Club CEO Greg Swann stated: "We are particularly pleased to be so active in the community at the grass roots level. This will compliment what is already a very significant contribution through local, state and national programs.

"Collingwood has always had a proud tradition of community involvement and we believe that this initiative in Melton will set new standards not only within the AFL but also for any sporting association. We are intent on being the biggest philanthropic sporting club in Australia."

I'm worried by this. The Melton Shire is huge these days, with the new developments through Caroline Springs & Sydenham/Hillside. I teach in the primary schools around this district, and there are very few young Doggies fans in the outer west. Collingwood has the monery and muscle to move into this territory, and the club needs to respond.

The Collingwood Football Club owns a hotel in Caroline Springs called 'The Club.' I choose to boycott this establishment.:)

We're doing great in the heartlands of Yarraville, 'Scray and Spotswood; good in Altona & Hoppers Crossing; OK in Sunshine & St Albans - kudos to Higgins & Crossy for their trip out to St Albans North Primary School for a coaching session with some very deprived kids.

But our representation out in the new suburbs is very poor. Tigers players have been out in Sydenham PS doing healthy eating & coaching clinics and now we see the Pies get very heavily involved.

If we really are the Western Bulldogs we need to get a presence out there. I've been meaning to contact the club about this issue so I'll be using this post as an e-mail to send to Cam Rose tomorrow. We need to act now.

How much are Collingwood taking out of this region through their poker machines? A bit more than $1.5M I reckon.

The Pie Man
06-03-2009, 10:37 PM

I'd love the 'Scray' as a phrase to live on and be revived like the Swans revived the 'Bloods' - if we ever win a flag, I'd love our captain to say something like 'this is for the Scray'

Just had a look fnwb website - the North Melbourne argument is compelling for mine. Love the last game results as 'Country Cats vs Western Bulldogs'

I'm personally still not a fan of any team being named after a region or state (bar the Super 14 where all teams are) I reckon Queensland Roar should change (and there's rumours they will) their name to Brisbane Roar, I hated the New Zealand Knights name (Wellington's working) I hate the New Zealand Breakers name (kinda limits expansion possibilities - what could you call a new team in Wellington....South New Zealand?) I'm not sure why the Jazz were called Utah (though to say the Salt Lake City Jazz would just be weird now) and I'm still yet to be sold on our trading name.

Smorgon came in and did what he felt he needed to do - big picture view, it made sense. He, along with Plough (as much as I hate to concede this) made the Dogs an exciting brand that saved the club, but I'm not sure that excitement had anything to do with the name change....perhaps that we changed name, but not the name per se.

It'd tie in better if Whitten Oval was still called the Western Oval - the Western Bulldogs being based at the Western Oval. No issue with EJ being recognised in such a fashion of course.

I also think the bulldog on the front of our guernsey has run it's race - this was part of the 'change' we had to have in 97, and did genuinely generate some excitement.

I'll close my rant by saying AT LEAST WE DIDN'T MERGE OR DIE!! Despite my ramblings, I'll always love and support this club, and if Smorgon & Co maintain it's in the club's best interest to retain our trading name, then so be it.

Sockeye Salmon
06-03-2009, 10:42 PM
I also think the bulldog on the front of our guernsey has run it's race - this was part of the 'change' we had to have in 97, and did genuinely generate some excitement.

I'd like to see our jumper changed back to the 1954 era design.

The Pie Man
06-03-2009, 10:57 PM
I'd like to see our jumper changed back to the 1954 era design.

Likewise - we had a poll on this last year on WOOF if I remember correctly, I think the heritage design was most popular. We should change back - but at least it's not a massive departure from what it was.

Richmond's preseason jumper with the tiger on the front looks atrocious

The Coon Dog
07-03-2009, 01:45 AM
Likewise - we had a poll on this last year on WOOF if I remember correctly, I think the heritage design was most popular. We should change back - but at least it's not a massive departure from what it was.

Richmond's preseason jumper with the tiger on the front looks atrocious

Sure did. It's here:

Which Bulldogs Jumper Do You Prefer? (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=1264&highlight=jumper)

BornInDroopSt'54
07-03-2009, 08:27 AM
The abandonment of the Footscray Football Club name is a betrayal to Ted Whitten, the premiership team and the history of the club. I understand that Smorgan and Co saw the need to make a statement that the club needed a change of culture and to make a statement of intent, and so sacrificed the name to that cause. They did not need to change the name, the new marketting of the club could have been faithful to our name and heritage.
The name and suburb of Footscray are integral to the identity, heart and soul of the club. to abandon it is shameful. It is discarding the past as shameful, like a criminal that needs a new identity. The club had every reason to be proud of its past. The fact that its lack of on field and financial success was not acceptable does not preclude turning things around, pride in the club and its name.
The generic nature of "Western Bulldogs" is ludcrous and meaningless. It stands for nothing. We are out wested by the Adelaide and Perth clubs. The success of the club has come from improved management, player and coaching personnel and would have been achieved without abandoning the name of the Footscray Football Club. It is the only true working class suburb remaining with a team in the league. The abandonment of our name shows lack of faith and integrity, reeks of insecurity and insincerity. Conversely to reclaim our name would show faith, integrity, security and sincerity. These are marketable qualities and qualities to rally behind.
Loyalty and tribalism are at the heart of football. I am disappointed at the views of placid acceptance of the abandonment of our proud name expressed here. I love your collective views on football strategies and your knowledge of the players and the club. But don't lose your rage against forces that damage our club; they can come from well intentioned forces within as equally from non-caring or hostile forces without.
We have achieved the change in culture needed and perception of the club will change with continued success. Lets do it under the banner of the Footscray Football Club, the banner for which we, our parents and grandparents wept tears of joy and grief.

Sockeye Salmon
07-03-2009, 09:35 AM
The abandonment of the Footscray Football Club name is a betrayal to Ted Whitten, the premiership team and the history of the club. I understand that Smorgan and Co saw the need to make a statement that the club needed a change of culture and to make a statement of intent, and so sacrificed the name to that cause. They did not need to change the name, the new marketting of the club could have been faithful to our name and heritage.
The name and suburb of Footscray are integral to the identity, heart and soul of the club. to abandon it is shameful. It is discarding the past as shameful, like a criminal that needs a new identity. The club had every reason to be proud of its past. The fact that its lack of on field and financial success was not acceptable does not preclude turning things around, pride in the club and its name.
The generic nature of "Western Bulldogs" is ludcrous and meaningless. It stands for nothing. We are out wested by the Adelaide and Perth clubs. The success of the club has come from improved management, player and coaching personnel and would have been achieved without abandoning the name of the Footscray Football Club. It is the only true working class suburb remaining with a team in the league. The abandonment of our name shows lack of faith and integrity, reeks of insecurity and insincerity. Conversely to reclaim our name would show faith, integrity, security and sincerity. These are marketable qualities and qualities to rally behind.
Loyalty and tribalism are at the heart of football. I am disappointed at the views of placid acceptance of the abandonment of our proud name expressed here. I love your collective views on football strategies and your knowledge of the players and the club. But don't lose your rage against forces that damage our club; they can come from well intentioned forces within as equally from non-caring or hostile forces without.
We have achieved the change in culture needed and perception of the club will change with continued success. Lets do it under the banner of the Footscray Football Club, the banner for which we, our parents and grandparents wept tears of joy and grief.

I like your website and refer to it often.

I still refer to my club as 'Footscray' more often than not and I call out "Arna Scray" at games like I have been doing for nearly 40 years.

My son thinks the first line of our club song is 'Sons of the 'Scray' because that is how I taught him.

I have no problem whatsoever with the club being called 'Western Bulldogs'.

BornInDroopSt'54
07-03-2009, 11:19 AM
[QUOTE=Sockeye Salmon;72581]I like your website and refer to it often.

Hi Sockeye,
I like your posts. My only football website is this one.
I was born in Footscray, not, as it happens to a working class family, my father was a chemist in Sydney Rd. We left Footscray in 1961 when I was seven, to go to the leafy eastern suburbs. No one else barracked for Footscray in my area or at my school. The prejudice towards Footscray and the western suburbs, even from my well educated classmates hit me in the face. I remained proud and loyal in the face of the prejudice. The suburb of Footscray is unique and has an interesting history. The club is part of that.

alwaysadog
07-03-2009, 01:54 PM

We have a good community department even if they are a bit smug and predominantly small vision stuff. A kick in the tail won't hurt, of course Cam may just get defensive.

azabob
07-03-2009, 05:07 PM
From my point of view, I thought I was comfortable with the change of name from Footscray to the Western Bulldogs. I'm now not so sure. I wasn't even 18 at the time of the name change and growing up in Seaford I accepted it. But what I have realised in the past few years when you get asked that question "who do you barrack for?" i reply the bulldogs, not Western Bulldogs. I guess there is a part of me which feels uncomfortable that we are known as the Western Bulldogs and not Footscray.
So for me I still feel uncomfortable with the name change.

mjp
07-03-2009, 06:56 PM
I lived in Smith Street in Moonee Ponds for a while

Has your (somewhat fragile) psychi recovered from the shock?

mjp
07-03-2009, 07:14 PM
Living in Perth, the use of the word 'Western' as part of the name of a club from Victoria always seemed a bit silly. The whole 'we represent the Western Suburbs thing when there is a draft and national competition seemed a bit tenuous as an explanation as well...I mean, many of our more famed players hailed from Gippsland, so shouldn't we want to represent them as well? Footscray is the base of the club, it is a really nice spot (close to the city, close to transport) that has been discovered by a lot of people in the past ten years and it really is a place to be proud of.

I am rambling a bit now, but from the name perspective I simply don't get it.

While I am at it:
- I hate the artificial dog on the front of the guernsey...and it looks a bit 1995 to be honest. When you have the best (or second best maybe? Carlton's colors/guernsey is pretty good I suppose) colors in the competition, why does so much of our gear feature the logo that no-one I know likes.

I would love to be able to get an old style lace up jumper (to wear as a jacket) to the footy. I know the old jumpers didn't have names on the back (and I kind of prefer it that way) but if the club was smart they could use the popularity that E.J. has throughout Victoria by selling that 50's jersey with a number 3 and 'Whitten' on the back....I know it would sell. And the more the rolling zone takes over, the more people will pine for days past and items like this.

As for the involvement of Collingwood and Essendon in the Western Suburbs, I have posted this before, but getting players from our club involved in promotions etc was always too hard when I was based in Vic....Essendon would say 'how many players do you want?', WB would say 'how much are you going to pay?'. And these were Western Suburbs events...

And the Storm? Those guys would send everyone they had to make a promotion work...

LostDoggy
07-03-2009, 08:58 PM
I personally don't mind the bulldog logo MJP so I will make sure not to run into you at a Woof event or Melbourne game when you make it over here because I wouldn't want to wreak your agument about no one you have meet liking it. (Just kidding).

I do like the fact that the old stocky bulldog logo is appearing on some apparel though I did like that logo. It could be worse it could have been the early 90'swith the cartoony happy bulldog.

The Pie Man
08-03-2009, 05:24 PM
But what I have realised in the past few years when you get asked that question "who do you barrack for?" i reply the bulldogs, not Western Bulldogs.

I do the same thing - I caught myself doing it last night when meeting people at a wedding I was at. Does anyone say anything different to 'the doggies' when asked who they go for?

And MJP's comment about our logo looking very 1995 - I agree, it's dated really badly. I say change back to the EJ era top

BornInDroopSt'54
12-03-2009, 08:31 PM
The bulldog logo on the jumper sucks big time, except for the fact it's where a good pass should hit. It's too stylised, not authentic enough. A bulldog never lets go, is fearless and when it bites, you know you're in a fight with an opponent that will not give in. A bulldog is NOT some easy to manufacture logo.

BornInDroopSt'54
12-03-2009, 08:39 PM
The heritage jumper is awesome IMHO with the tight vertical stripes. Also the premiership jumper has not been improved upon since.