PDA

View Full Version : Giansiracusa to take on coaching role with Bulldogs

comrade
29-08-2013, 11:15 PM
Daniel Giansiracusa will remain a Western Bulldog for next season and beyond, after agreeing to a one-year contract extension that will evolve into a coaching role in 2015. Comfortable all year with the thought that this season would probably be his last, Giansirucusa accepted the club's invitation to play on, knowing he had not lost any of his love for the game.

The 31-year-old has prepared comprehensively for his planned next step into coaching, and the Bulldogs did not want to lose him to another club, having seen up close the guidance he has given younger teammates.

Giansiracusa felt the club that drafted him in 1999 was a good place to start his coaching career, believing he has plenty still to learn from coach Brendan McCartney, who asked him last month to keep an open mind about playing again in 2013.

After a month-long stint as the Bulldogs' starting substitute player earlier this season, he has finished the season in excellent form, kicking 34 goals. He will play his 250th game against Melbourne on Sunday.

"I'll be managed again next year, and there will be a bit of being the sub, for sure. It's something that helped me a lot this year, once I got my head around how it could work for me," said Giansiracusa.

"There were times earlier in the year when I thought I was probably cooked but I just got back to simplifying the game and concentrating more on what I could bring to the team, not what I couldn't do.

"I'm still able to run pretty well, I still work hard, and that's what I focused on– making it more about my teammates and how I could help them, and removing a bit of pressure from myself.

"You never lose pride in your own performance but I think focusing more on other people seemed to help my own form flow.

"I get a great deal out of seeing young guys succeed and improve, and I suppose that's what coaching is about, helping each person improve and be the best player they can be. I really enjoy that."

While Giansiracusa's main focus next year will be on playing well, and making it as hard as possible for his younger teammates to take his spot in the side, he is looking forward to learning as much as he can about coaching.

"There will be an aspect of coaching next year, maybe with our VFL team. Obviously, I have to hold up my end of the bargain with my form and I'm not going to hand my spot over easily. But I want to learn as much as I can and use it as a good stepping stone," he said.

"It's a great opportunity and probably not something that many clubs have done, so I'm really grateful I've been given the opportunity and grateful they've seen something in me that they like."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/giansiracusa-to-take-on-coaching-role-with-bulldogs-20130829-2stv2.html

azabob
29-08-2013, 11:23 PM
Great news.

bulldogtragic
29-08-2013, 11:25 PM
Wow.

ratsmac
29-08-2013, 11:32 PM
I'm pleased about this decision the club and Gia have made. It sounds like a positive move for both club and player.

GVGjr
29-08-2013, 11:38 PM
I was convinced early in the year that this would be his last one. His performances have been far better than I expected though. He may not be a permanent fixture in the senior line-up next season but I think he has deserved this chance to extend his career.

Makes the list management and development decisions interesting.

Well done Daniel.

comrade
29-08-2013, 11:45 PM

Seals the fate of Vez and Howard you would think.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-08-2013, 11:51 PM

It does.

I'm not convinced this is the right move, personally. On form he earns another contract, but it reminds me of the Johnson/Aker/Eagleton/Hahn scenarios. The first two earned another contract but were poor the following season whilst Eagleton/Hahn were kept on too long. Gia isn't the quickest player and you'd think it's only going to be even tougher in 2014.

Additionally, is it good list management? We don't want Gia/Murphy/Morris/Boyd retiring all around the same time.

I'm not dead against the decision, but I'm not 100% confident in it either.

Remi Moses
29-08-2013, 11:55 PM
Not a fan of this decision personally.
Coaching yes, but history is littered with players going one year to long.
Do we want 4 or 5 players retiring at once?

The Underdog
30-08-2013, 12:30 AM

Does it put a line through someone like Pearce? At the moment I'd think Markovic, Vez, Howard & Cross are definite outs with Austin likely promoted. I'd think Jong stays as a 3rd year rookie & Redpath & Greenwood are delisted. Unless we're planning to let Addison walk, I'm struggling to see where we make space.

On a purely emotional level though, it's pretty cool, if a little unexpected.

westdog54
30-08-2013, 07:28 AM

I think Howard and Vez were home long before this announcement

I'd be more worried if I were Addison.

The Pie Man
30-08-2013, 07:40 AM
The evolution to a coaching role is the good news story for me (as in, with us - of course he was heading that way) As a player, it feels a year too long, though he's accepted being 'managed' in that regard & won't be a negative influence should he fail to contribute on field like a certain recruit we had a few years ago.

Will be handy should we make an unlikely push to an elimination final.

Well done Gia & the club

LostDoggy
30-08-2013, 07:50 AM
I think this is moreso a coaching role. He may play a few games but I see this as a mentoring role in reality.

chef
30-08-2013, 07:52 AM
Great news.

bornadog
30-08-2013, 08:34 AM
I think this is moreso a coaching role. He may play a few games but I see this as a mentoring role in reality.

Yes the permanent sub/assistant coach

Hotdog60
30-08-2013, 08:44 AM
with the cap he may help with the rotations, he has good endurance and could potentially stay on the ground for 100% game time. I'm with the 1 year too long bit, but I'm rapt for Gia and I hope he can contribute with 40 odd goals next year.

angelopetraglia
30-08-2013, 09:04 AM
Sensational news. He deserved another year and for him to start his coaching career at the Bulldogs is fantastic too.

craigsahibee
30-08-2013, 09:41 AM
with the cap he may help with the rotations, he has good endurance and could potentially stay on the ground for 100% game time. I'm with the 1 year too long bit, but I'm rapt for Gia and I hope he can contribute with 40 odd goals next year.

If that is the case we will be going well.

Gia was definately cooked earlier in the year but a month as the sub has re-energised him and he has finished the year in brilliant fashion. Well done Daniel.

Like others on WOOF, I too hold reservations about anyone of the same age going around again for another year.

That 6 month break between games when you're on the wrong side of 30 could actually feel like 2 years. Johnno finished off his penultimate year in great style, but his final year was a disaster. Mind you, it doesn't help when one of the training staff contributes by running him down in a golf cart ;).

Our club has made significant improvements in player management in such a short period of time and I am confident Gia will be managed well enough to get him through the year physically. If his form at any stage doesn't warrant selection, then I also have the confidence that Macca will make the right decisions at the right time.

We are in good hands and with Gia steping into a coaching role, this will only get better.

LostDoggy
30-08-2013, 09:48 AM
I think it's a good decision, need some maturity up fwd whilst the youngsters are still learning, with careful management I think Gia will be good for us next year.

LostDoggy
30-08-2013, 09:58 AM

Yes, likewise. I don't think he's being retained to be our number one target up forward — let's hope not! — but for his leadership. If you had to keep either Gia or Cross for that reason, Gia does provide that little bit extra.

As he's on our veterans list, it's not so much of a salary cap issue, and as a somewhat playing coach, he's going to be invaluable to the coaching staff when it comes to enforcing the message on the field in the heat of battle. I wouldn't be surprised if he's involved next year in more of the coaching side of things.

If so, he can be of incredible assistance to somebody like Griff, who looks like being given the captain's role as well as being the main cog in the machine, so having somebody like Gia around just lightens the load on Griff as well as the coaching staff.

Very happy with the decision, even if he only plays limited games.

comrade
30-08-2013, 09:58 AM
It does.

I'm not convinced this is the right move, personally. On form he earns another contract, but it reminds me of the Johnson/Aker/Eagleton/Hahn scenarios. The first two earned another contract but were poor the following season whilst Eagleton/Hahn were kept on too long. Gia isn't the quickest player and you'd think it's only going to be even tougher in 2014.

Additionally, is it good list management? We don't want Gia/Murphy/Morris/Boyd retiring all around the same time.

I'm not dead against the decision, but I'm not 100% confident in it either.

Different scenario, though. When those guys played one, we were hunting for a premiership and they ended up being dead weight. Unfortunately, we probably played them for too long in the senior team due to their credits in the bank rather than actual form.

Now, we're still firmly in a development phase and from all reports, Gia buys into this and understands his role is to nurture the young talent we have. He will play a critical role not only next year, but in 2015 and beyond as part of the coaching set up. Good on Macca and the footy department for identifying this and formalising a deal.

I can see Gia retiring next year, Bob the year after and Boydy and Morris following those two. Hopefully by then, we'll have youngsters playing their roles and the hit to our on field performance will be minimal.

bornadog
30-08-2013, 10:16 AM
Unfortunately, we probably played them for too long in the senior team due to their credits in the bank rather than actual form.

I don't agree with this, I think it was worse than that. We never had the young players knocking on the door to take their place. We now have some great recruits that should be given their opportunities.

Murphy'sLore
30-08-2013, 10:18 AM
I was in two minds, but now it's been announced I think it's fantastic. This will be a transitional year for Gia as he eases from a predominantly active playing role to an off-field coaching position. He has so much to offer in both capacities, I'm optimistic that 2014 will be a wonderful year for both him and the club. Win win all round!

KT31
30-08-2013, 10:29 AM
Well done to Gia for his contracted extension.
I can see positives and negatives out of this move, we really won't know until next season if it is the right move or not.
So until then I will reserve my judgment, put my faith in the coaching panel and wish Gia all the best for his 250th and beyond.

Bulldog4life
30-08-2013, 12:27 PM
It is terrific that Gia is going to stay with us in a coaching role officially in 2015. I am sure he will be honing his coaching craft unofficially as well next year while playing. He will be great for the young lads in the seniors and in our VFL team. I have faith in Macca that this is the right call. As shown with Crossy Macca can make the hard call if he needs to.

Mofra
30-08-2013, 12:38 PM
He'll play 10-15 games next year, get rested and hopefully will have given his spot up by the end of the year.

Two years ago, there were a few that went into meltdown that he was given two years. Good to see he's performed and proven he deserved a bit of loyalty.

Maddog37
30-08-2013, 12:47 PM
Good on Gia. He is basically the captain of the forward line.

He is probably enjoying not being the main forward and getting the best defender each week too. Sounds like he is another Macca convert too.

If he pulls the pin half way through the year in 2014 can we upgrade a rookie?

Bulldog Joe
30-08-2013, 12:57 PM
Watching those games when he was the sub and it was apparent that he was predominantly the ground level coach.

This just formulates that and I would expect him to play the sub role regularly and allow the club to rest some of the developing players without detracting from the team.

Macca has clearly been in favour of resting the young bodies and by keeping Gia on he makes that easy to do while having a coach who can feel what is happening in the game.

Maddog37
30-08-2013, 01:05 PM
"I'm still able to run pretty well, I still work hard, and that's what I focused on– making it more about my teammates and how I could help them, and removing a bit of pressure from myself.

"You never lose pride in your own performance but I think focusing more on other people seemed to help my own form flow.

These words from Gia encapsulate for me exactly what Macca is trying to bring to our club. By everyone simply doing their job and not trying to star everyone's job becomes easier. This is what a true team does.

Cyberdoggie
30-08-2013, 02:02 PM
I think the kids will benefit more with him in the squad.
Seems he does a lot of the talking amongst the senior players.

Has shown this year that we have been able to survive with his lack of pace up forward.
Can't hide that in the middle of the park which is why Cross has gone and why Boyd
will struggle in the near future.

chef
30-08-2013, 02:45 PM
I can see Gia retiring next year, Bob the year after and Boydy and Morris following those two. Hopefully by then, we'll have youngsters playing their roles and the hit to our on field performance will be minimal.

Same here. They're not going to retire all at the same time so I don't see a problem with Gia going on.