PDA

View Full Version : Three Things I've Learned - Round 23 Edition

GVGjr
01-09-2013, 07:42 PM
The final Three things I've Learned thread for 2013, once the match against the Dees is completed post the three things you've learned as a result of the game.

Be constructive but be honest.

LostDoggy
01-09-2013, 08:30 PM
I've learned there is 232 rounds this year.

chef
01-09-2013, 08:32 PM
I learned that Crossy played under Terry Wallace in our success period not long ago, according to Gerard Healy.

LostDoggy
01-09-2013, 08:38 PM
I learned that Crossy played under Terry Wallace in our success period not long ago, according to Gerard Healy.

I've learned the HairyMidget has less respect for Chef for listening to Gerard Healy.

bornadog
01-09-2013, 08:42 PM
1. Roughead is the AFL's number one spoiler, Libba best clearance player , Griffen A grade and the young players are coming along nicely
2. Minson is AA
3. We have a long way to go to be a good team

F'scary
01-09-2013, 08:49 PM
1. That a win like today doesn't feel good enough. 6 months ago I would have taken anything and painted the town red.
2. However, we have improved enough that we can win with only one quarter of good football against a bad side.
3. Echo BAD's number 3 above. We are only a work in progress. A backslide is entirely possible unless we improve that bit more next season.

chef
01-09-2013, 08:52 PM
I've learned the HairyMidget has less respect for Chef for listening to Gerard Healy.

But he has great respect for our captain Brad Boyd.

westbulldog
01-09-2013, 09:00 PM
1. Roughead is the AFL's number one spoiler, Libba best clearance player , Griffen A grade and the young players are coming along nicely
2. Minson is AA
3. We have a long way to go to be a good team

Agree with this. We also need to improve our defence next year.

Nuggety Back Pocket
01-09-2013, 09:10 PM
1. Midfield of Minson Libba Boyd and Cooney was the difference.
2. We still lack a quality key forward. Jones was again disappointing.
3. Great to see Crossy finish with a fine performance.

comrade
01-09-2013, 09:13 PM
1. Tory Dickson's defensive side needs to improve as some of his efforts were deplorable today. I watched him closely off the ball and I really hope he's carrying something because there were numerous occasions he could have influenced a contest but decided not to go.

2. Koby Stevens is cooked and needs to a rest. Jack Viney is no speedster but he burnt off Koby with ease and Stevens was the one with fresh legs.

3. With some more experience, Campbell could be a gun. He needs to learn to use the body a little better and jump earlier but he's quick for his size and footy smart. Not many key defenders can handle his size. Is he the answer up forward? He could be.

ReLoad
01-09-2013, 09:18 PM
1. Soups is way ahead of Ayce Cordy, who is now clearly on the outer.
2. The kids were spent, plenty of niggles hurting players, roughy couldn't even raise his bung shoulder arm to high five the crowd.
3. I'm cracking in.

bulldogtragic
01-09-2013, 09:21 PM
1. How good can Libba get? So happy or him his year.

2. We have some 'one grab' players, Koby isn't one of them.

3. Bring on the 4th best young gun in the country!

Remi Moses
01-09-2013, 09:26 PM
1) Libba is an out and out star
2) best game for the skipper for the season
3) worst dive since the 09 prelim from Jack Watts

comrade
01-09-2013, 09:28 PM
3) worst dive since the 09 prelim from Jack Watts

Yeah, that was horrible. Morris just outbodied him like he's done 1000 times in his career and Roughy was also going to take the mark anyway. The umpire needed to use some common sense which unfortunately was in short supply today. At least 3 of Melbourne's first 4 goals were influenced by umpire intervention.

Remi Moses
01-09-2013, 09:28 PM
1. Midfield of Minson Libba Boyd and Cooney was the difference.
2. We still lack a quality key forward. Jones was again disappointing.
3. Great to see Crossy finish with a fine performance.

That mark he took at the end just typified the player and the person
Brave, selfless and team orientated . Great reception from the crowd

azabob
01-09-2013, 09:34 PM
1. Lachie Hunters vision in traffic and on the move, then hit the target is scary good.

2. Tom Campbell is progressing very nicely.

3. J.Grant doesn't mind giving a bit of back chat to his oppenent if the stuff up.

LostDoggy
01-09-2013, 10:21 PM
1. Lachie Hunter is the smartest footballer we've drafted since the bloke playing his 250th today.
2. Tom Campbell may just spend a majority of his career as a full-forward rather than in ruck.
3. Libba is an AA quality midfielder in only his third season; extraordinary, and bloody exciting!

SonofScray
01-09-2013, 10:25 PM
1. Bulldog fans love a good scrap. Stirred a savage beast.

2. You shouldn't throw punches if you have a limp wrist (Melbourne ruck on Picken late in the game)

3. There's always next year.

G-Mo77
01-09-2013, 10:38 PM
One thing I did learn is Crossy is one of the most respected players we have, not just from inside the club but from the fans as well. He took a mark on the members wing and nearly everyone stood and applauded. Great moment!

LostDoggy
01-09-2013, 10:53 PM
One thing I did learn is Crossy is one of the most respected players we have, not just from inside the club but from the fans as well. He took a mark on the members wing and nearly everyone stood and applauded. Great moment!

Loved it

always right
01-09-2013, 11:00 PM
How about that bulldogs chant when the melee broke out at halftime. Can't recall our supporters reacting like that in the past. It was incredible and bloody loud.

G-Mo77
01-09-2013, 11:03 PM
How about that bulldogs chant when the melee broke out at halftime. Can't recall our supporters reacting like that in the past. It was incredible and bloody loud.

Awesome. Big Will running around without a shirt reminded me of big Ilya. Will's just a tad more chiseled.

LostDoggy
01-09-2013, 11:04 PM
Anyone see what happened to Austin on the wing, looked like Watts might've given him a knock where he didn't want one and then Watts ran forward and kicked a goal as Matthew Boyd tried to man him up.

SonofScray
01-09-2013, 11:12 PM

I can't recall a response from the Doggies faithful in the past 10 years at least. It was stirring stuff. In the mid-late 90s you'd occasionally have guys like Libba, Southern, Kretiuk etc in a scrap at the whistle and then Joyce or Wallace etc would walk the huddle over to the member's wing, or closer to the cheer squad which always revved the crowd up.

I really love that sort of stuff from the fans, and seeing the players care enough for their colleagues to fly the flag. It is a solid foundation for a strong team.

bornadog
01-09-2013, 11:38 PM
I can't recall a response from the Doggies faithful in the past 10 years at least. It was stirring stuff. In the mid-late 90s you'd occasionally have guys like Libba, Southern, Kretiuk etc in a scrap at the whistle and then Joyce or Wallace etc would walk the huddle over to the member's wing, or closer to the cheer squad which always revved the crowd up.

I really love that sort of stuff from the fans, and seeing the players care enough for their colleagues to fly the flag. It is a solid foundation for a strong team.

this was almost the highlight of the year for me.

Twodogs
01-09-2013, 11:51 PM

Two Melbourne supporters hear us tred to get a Melbourne one started s the Bulldog chant got louder and louder. They stood up, mumbled " Melbourne, Melbourne" exactly twice and then sat down again.

bornadog
02-09-2013, 12:15 AM
Two Melbourne supporters hear us tred to get a Melbourne one started s the Bulldog chant got louder and louder. They stood up, mumbled " Melbourne, Melbourne" exactly twice and then sat down again.

Out of the 22,000 there today I think there was probably only 2000 dees supporters

w3design
02-09-2013, 12:22 AM
Libba just goes one better after each game sky is the limit.

only half of current team will be playing our next prelim final.

need to get used to winning now good or bad ones.

LostDoggy
02-09-2013, 12:31 AM
Out of the 22,000 there today I think there was probably only 2000 dees supporters

They did find some impressive voice in the fourth.

I learned:

1. I get too attached to them, Crossy really hurt. Agree with the decision, but still really hurt.
2. Jack Watts is a deadset flog. He can keep his four goals, if my son played like that I'd disown him.
3. Nathan Jones is the best player Melbourne has. He was the latest in a line of “Mitch's Bitches”

whythelongface
02-09-2013, 09:47 AM
1. Whilst we have made massive improvements there is still a long way to go. We played at Melbourne's intensity for most of yesterday's game. We can't afford to do this if we want to compete with the top teams;

2. Crossy would be a great pick up for a team like Melbourne. Sure he is the other side of 30 but he could certainly help their midfield out. In saying that I would hate to see Crossy wearing another AFL jersey - he is bulldog through and through - listening to his post match speech brought tears to my eyes.

3. Griffen is an A grade top notch footballer, but he needs to dominate games like these. He will be AA but based on his last two games, he won't win the Brownlow.

always right
02-09-2013, 09:52 AM
1. Whilst we have made massive improvements there is still a long way to go. We played at Melbourne's intensity for most of yesterday's game. We can't afford to do this if we want to compete with the top teams;

2. Crossy would be a great pick up for a team like Melbourne. Sure he is the other side of 30 but he could certainly help their midfield out. In saying that I would hate to see Crossy wearing another AFL jersey - he is bulldog through and through - listening to his post match speech brought tears to my eyes.

3. Griffen is an A grade top notch footballer, but he needs to dominate games like these. He will be AA but based on his last two games, he won't win the Brownlow.

He may not even win our B&F. I reckon it's going to be a close run race between Griff and Libba who has has had an outstanding second half of the season in particular.

comrade
02-09-2013, 09:53 AM
He may not even win our B&F. I reckon it's going to be a close run race between Griff and Libba who has has had an outstanding second half of the season in particular.

Minno will also be right up there.

always right
02-09-2013, 10:23 AM
Minno will also be right up there.

Yes but I think he'll be slightly off the pace of the other two. I expect our top five to look like this;

1&2 Griff/Libba toss up
3 Minson
4 Murph
5 Roughy/Cooney toss up

Eastdog
02-09-2013, 10:25 AM

That was great to hear that passion from us.

KT31
02-09-2013, 10:37 AM

Pretty hard to get "Go the Dee's" going as a chant.;)

LostDoggy
02-09-2013, 10:39 AM
Yes but I think he'll be slightly off the pace of the other two. I expect our top five to look like this;

1&2 Griff/Libba toss up
3 Minson
4 Murph
5 Roughy/Cooney toss up

Going off-topic here, but I'd have

1. Minson
2. Griff/Libba
3. Murph
4. Roughead.

Ozza
02-09-2013, 10:47 AM
1. We need to do a lot more work on how to set up the ground when the opposition gets numbers behind the ball (which is probably not something we have contended with often in the last 2 seasons).

2. A 22 game season is a very long one for a young side. Both teams were absolutely stuffed in the second half. It was a dreadful half of footy.

3. The players wallets will be considerably lighter on the footy trip due to the half time stoush!

Greystache
02-09-2013, 10:49 AM
1. We are arguably the best team outside the the 8

2. Hunter may well be the best of a very strong draft year

3. Campbell has made a massive difference to the way we play.

Murphy'sLore
02-09-2013, 11:00 AM
1. We are arguably the best team outside the the 8

You got that from yesterday's effort? Honestly? In the second quarter, definitely, but the rest was rubbish.

Greystache
02-09-2013, 11:06 AM
You got that from yesterday's effort? Honestly? In the second quarter, definitely, but the rest was rubbish.

No I got that from the Football Operations Manager of one of the teams about to play finals. I thought it was interesting view and something you could make a case for.

bornadog
02-09-2013, 11:11 AM

You can't base it on yesterday, Melbourne seemed to have more to play for, ie they really wnated to show Paul Roos they are improving:D We had done enough to win it, so the second half effort wasn't there. Players looked stuffed, with Boyd and Libba accumulating 76 disposals between them or 19% of the total teams disposals :eek:

I think the way we have played since round 14/15 has shown the improvement is there. Imagine if we had very few season ending injuries. I think North should be playing finals, and they are the best team outside the 8. I think we ended up being the next best for the last 9 games.

Greystache
02-09-2013, 11:18 AM
You can't base it on yesterday, Melbourne seemed to have more to play for, ie they really wnated to show Paul Roos they are improving:D We had done enough to win it, so the second half effort wasn't there. Players looked stuffed, with Boyd and Libba accumulating 76 disposals between them or 19% of the total teams disposals :eek:

I think the way we have played since round 14/15 has shown the improvement is there. Imagine if we had very few season ending injuries. I think North should be playing finals, and they are the best team outside the 8. I think we ended up being the next best for the last 9 games.

Agree. I found it hard to make a case for us being better than Norf, but it's pretty easy to make a case for us being better than the rest. Interesting other clubs rate us very highly though. I guess the way we play really challenge teams physically, where as Norf's run and gun style wins games when they have a good day and it comes off but it doesn't intimidate the opposition.

Murphy'sLore
02-09-2013, 11:20 AM
I wasn't disagreeing with the contention, just whether it was something that could have been gleaned from how we played in round 23.

Our improvement in the second half of the season has been sensational.

LostDoggy
02-09-2013, 02:01 PM
1. Tory Dickson's defensive side needs to improve as some of his efforts were deplorable today. I watched him closely off the ball and I really hope he's carrying something because there were numerous occasions he could have influenced a contest but decided not to go.

I've been intrigued by Dickson from day dot. I love his pace, his ability to kick goals from difficult situations, and his attack on the footy. He knows where to go. He reads the ball well. What he sometimes doesn't do so well is make intuitive decisions that are right for the moment. He seems to take too long to make up his mind and can get caught. He can fire out a handball that misses it's target because that intuitive skill isn't there...yet.

His role, in part, appears to to be to play up the ground to provide an option for the exit kick after a behind has been scored, or provide an option for the second kick. He also has to provide the option of running past for the handball and stream into the forward line. Aside from this, when he in the forward line, his role is to mark the ball when one on one or to be continually placing himself outside the contest so he can receive the ball and shoot for goal from a crowded situation, or to get the ball out from a contest to someone else. In addition he tackles hard and tries to shut down space. He covers a lot of territory. I see Grant doing much the same thing.

He fell heavily at one stage, I think, which seemed to affect him in the second half. I watched on TV so could not tell if he was being lazy with where he was positioning himself. From what I could tell he placed himself in many advantageous situations regardless of whether they resulted in anything.

Maddog37
02-09-2013, 02:12 PM
Dickson had 14 touches at 86%, 3 tackles, 14 pressure acts (4th most), 8 score involvements(second most behind Libba) and 3 goals 1.

If you could get that every week from your half forward flank you would be more than happy. Another preseason will see him become even more dangerous IMHO.

comrade
02-09-2013, 02:16 PM
Dickson had 14 touches at 86%, 3 tackles, 14 pressure acts (4th most), 8 score involvements(second most behind Libba) and 3 goals 1.

If you could get that every week from your half forward flank you would be more than happy. Another preseason will see him become even more dangerous IMHO.

The stats are fine in isolation, but I'm more concerned about the pressure acts he didn't commit.

As I said, I hope it is a fitness issue that stopped him from going 100% of the time. With a big pre-season I would like to see him creating a contest whenever he has the opportunity.

Mofra
02-09-2013, 02:18 PM

Yep, I was a little mystified by the "he doesn't chase" calls considering I'd have only Dahlhaus in front of him for defensive game (out of our forward six). Tory does seem to do a fair bit of unrewarded running.

Anyways:

1. We only had 12 tackles in the first quarter - and 5 of them were by Libba. Better teams will destroy us if we put in that sort of effort.

2. Lachie Hunter has amazing vision to go with his elite-level agility

3. A little bit of biff elicits a fantastic crowd response - halftime was the biggest cheer of the day (apologies to Crossy's efforts and Grant's amazing goal).

Maddog37
02-09-2013, 02:20 PM
More pressure acts than every forward bar Dal. I think you are too harsh on Tory.

Bulldog4life
02-09-2013, 02:23 PM
Jonesy has to learn to continue to lead, lead & lead. No good wrestling his opponent each time.

Libba just keeps getting better & better.

Young Hunter will be a star.

Greystache
02-09-2013, 02:34 PM

I simply don't understand the criticism that Dickson gets from some of our supporters (not directing that at Comrade btw), since he's been back from injury in the past 7 matches he's kicked 17 goals, laid 19 tackles, and averaged 16 disposals. If he kept up that form across the season there wouldn't be a small forward in the league to kick 53 goals and average 16 possessions. There were calls for him to be delisted!

The stats are fine in isolation, but I'm more concerned about the pressure acts he didn't commit.

As I said, I hope it is a fitness issue that stopped him from going 100% of the time. With a big pre-season I would like to see him creating a contest whenever he has the opportunity.

He missed 12 weeks during the season with an ankle injury and I've no doubt it seriously affected his fitness and his ability to put in repeat efforts. Based on his career to date I don't doubt for a second his intent to apply defensive pressure is there.

jeemak
02-09-2013, 02:58 PM
I simply don't understand the criticism that Dickson gets from some of our supporters (not directing that at Comrade btw), since he's been back from injury in the past 7 matches he's kicked 17 goals, laid 19 tackles, and averaged 16 disposals. If he kept up that form across the season there wouldn't be a small forward in the league to kick 53 goals and average 16 possessions. There were calls for him to be delisted!

He missed 12 weeks during the season with an ankle injury and I've no doubt it seriously affected his fitness and his ability to put in repeat efforts. Based on his career to date I don't doubt for a second his intent to apply defensive pressure is there.

You make a good point on his fitness, an area in which it was clear he was already coming from a little way back when he started with us.

I knocked his defensive efforts in his first couple of games with the club, but since then I think it's been a strength of his.

Considering his interrupted year, I think his output has been quite good.

Greystache
02-09-2013, 03:13 PM
You make a good point on his fitness, an area in which it was clear he was already coming from a little way back when he started with us.

I knocked his defensive efforts in his first couple of games with the club, but since then I think it's been a strength of his.

Considering his interrupted year, I think his output has been quite good.

Not to mention he's played 30 AFL games in his career.

westdog54
02-09-2013, 03:24 PM
1. Hunter is the biggest bargain of 2012 draft.
2. Jack Watts is Melbourne F.C. personified.
3. Crossy could be one of the most loved Bulldogs ever. I reckon we'll still be cheering him next year.

bornadog
02-09-2013, 04:58 PM
2. Jack Watts is Melbourne F.C. personified.

I would still take Jack Watts. Under Macca, he would be a different footballer.

bulldogtragic
02-09-2013, 05:03 PM
I'm on this bus too.

With the right coach, he could be a better top pick re-recruit than Everitt has been at Sydney. Macca would be the best fit for him. I'd have him over Crameri every day of the week.

comrade
02-09-2013, 05:11 PM
I'm on this bus too.

With the right coach, he could be a better top pick re-recruit than Everitt has been at Sydney. Macca would be the best fit for him. I'd have him over Crameri every day of the week.

For a second rounder?

bulldogtragic
02-09-2013, 05:17 PM
For a second rounder?
If it were a case of both being a second rounder, yes.

Lots of different scenarios though. And dependant on how good we think Marsh is.

Greystache
02-09-2013, 05:21 PM
If it were a case of both being a second rounder, yes.

Lots of different scenarios though. And dependant on how good we think Marsh is.

I couldn't see Melbourne giving up Watts for a second round pick, they're trying to build hope amongst their supporters, I don't see them trading him for anything other than an early first round pick unless he publicly states he wants out.

bulldogtragic
02-09-2013, 05:27 PM
I couldn't see Melbourne giving up Watts for a second round pick, they're trying to build hope amongst their supporters, I don't see them trading him for anything other than an early first round pick unless he publicly states her wants out.
I tend to agree. I'm not confident he wouldn't want out though. He's been through a rough start to his career, maybe he might want a fresh start with a coach who is exactly the type of coach he says he wants and needs to perform.

I'm not banking on this happening, just saying I wouldn't be opposed to him, especially if it was him or Crameri if either was deemed better than Marsh.

bornadog
02-09-2013, 05:42 PM
I couldn't see Melbourne giving up Watts for a second round pick, they're trying to build hope amongst their supporters, I don't see them trading him for anything other than an early first round pick unless he publicly states he wants out.

You would think if Roos was the coach he would stay.

LostDoggy
02-09-2013, 08:16 PM

He plays in a dangerous area of the ground, in terms of fan expectations, that's all.

I asked for him to be subbed off, thats as bad as I got, and he taught me a lesson that day by booting a bag of six. Paid more attention to him since and have noticed the workrate is there, he just needs more time. Happy with him for sure.

There are a lot of players that draw attention away from him, and maybe that's why fans get the impression he's gone MIA.

LostDoggy
02-09-2013, 08:17 PM
You would think if Roos was the coach he would stay.

You'd think if Roos is the coach, he'll be spending a lot of early morning running laps. Work rate was shocking, spent 80% of the game hunting free kicks.

westdog54
02-09-2013, 09:35 PM
So would I. If he remains at Melbourne his talent (which is considerable) will be wasted.

LostDoggy
03-09-2013, 05:52 PM
1. Players were cooked; we looked like we couldn't run in numbers in the end. Credit to their will power to fight for the win.
2. Great to win 8 games and still get pick 4 (assuming no early priority picks for Melbourne).
3. Minson is absolutely pivotal to how we go in the middle. If he goes down with injury next year, I think our progress would be significantly slowed.