PDA

View Full Version : A question mark over........

bornadog
01-09-2013, 09:33 PM
This thread is not for those being delisted but players you may have a concen over.

1. Still not sold on Wood, I think he needs to really have a big preseason.
2. Stevens - could struggle to be in our best 22, once Macrae, Smith start to cement themselves in the next few years.
3. Austin - back up at best.

Any others you think will struggle to hold there spot in 2014

bulldogtragic
01-09-2013, 09:39 PM
I'd have Wood over Addison, easily.
Jones has had a forgettable year in most ket areas outside contested marks (which are excellent), he just needs to realise his bloody enormous talent.
Stevens has bad decision making and is not 'one grab'.
Not sold on Picken as a defender, a very good footballer, I just don't see defender.
Williams and Higgins bodies are still fragile. Damn shame.

We still have room for improvement, which is exciting. I like the ride up as much as any part of the journey, maybe more so.

azabob
01-09-2013, 09:39 PM
1) Jarrod Grant - can he keep his intensity up over the per season?

2) Tom Campbell - can he continue his upward trend as a key forward target?

3) Who is going to push Boydy in pre- season with his great mate gone?

LostDoggy
01-09-2013, 09:44 PM
Stevens seems to find trouble more often than not. He's also a one paced plodder. May struggle next year over Hrovat, Macrae, Smith (once fit again) and pick four.

The Underdog
01-09-2013, 09:50 PM
Stevens seems to find trouble more often than not. He's also a one paced plodder. May struggle next year over Hrovat, Macrae, Smith (once fit again) and pick four.

For a guy who's so one paced, he's rising to the status of whipping boy pretty quickly.

LostDoggy
01-09-2013, 10:09 PM
Would it be fair to say most of what is wrong with Stevens is experience related? From what I see the main problem is decision making which does improve as a player gets older. He is 21, maybe reevaluate next year?

Greystache
01-09-2013, 10:17 PM
Would it be fair to say most of what is wrong with Stevens is experience related? From what I see the main problem is decision making which does improve as a player gets older. He is 21, maybe reevaluate next year?

I would contrast his decision making against Tom Young, both are 21, both had limited opportunities at their previous clubs, and both are inexperienced, yet Young is so composed with the ball in traffic and consistently makes good decisions. Lack of experience isn't necessarily an excuse.

Not to mention one L Hunter just quietly :D

LostDoggy
01-09-2013, 10:37 PM
I would contrast his decision making against Tom Young, both are 21, both had limited opportunities at their previous clubs, and both are inexperienced, yet Young is so composed with the ball in traffic and consistently makes good decisions. Lack of experience isn't necessarily an excuse.

Not to mention one L Hunter just quietly :D

100% that there are exceptions to the rule. Or maybe I'm implying Koby is an exception to natural decision making footballers? Either way I believe he has a weakness which may not be able to get worse. Hell, it may not get better, but with the current situation of our list we have the luxury of being able to find out. At least for another year.

Bumper Bulldogs
01-09-2013, 11:10 PM
I have two editions to this thread.

1. Ayce Cordy. Has he done enough and if we get a Drug Free bomber will he get opportunities to develop?

2. Is our Captain. We need to be thinking that maybe 2014 will be his last, I'm not sure that we have anyone over 24 that will fit the role. Do we think they may take the plunge on a young gun like a Wallis

LostDoggy
02-09-2013, 12:08 AM
I have no real problems with you boys fleshing this out, but I'd prefer not to pot our players and will sit out of this thread. I think enough of this kind of thing goes on in every thread, but by all means, don't let me spoil your fun.

bornadog
02-09-2013, 12:11 AM
I have no real problems with you boys fleshing this out, but I'd prefer not to pot our players and will sit out of this thread. I think enough of this kind of thing goes on in every thread, but by all means, don't let me spoil your fun.

Its not meant to be a thread for potting anyone, its meant to be a discussion on concerns going forward.

jeemak
02-09-2013, 01:09 AM
Cordy - One year into a three year contract. From what I can gather his Willi form was pretty good in the last few rounds of the season. Can he put enough strength into his body to take a step forward?

Addison - Will the match committee do away with him to clear a space for a younger player with more upside? A lot of what is said about Addison is based on current output mixed with limited strengths. Is he versatile enough to maintain a spot on the list?

Higgins and Williams - The former will be our best forward next year if able to come back from injury without interruption. If there was ever going to be a player to benefit from our improved ball movement and organisation it's Higgins. Williams on the park gives us versatility

Remi Moses
02-09-2013, 03:44 AM

Bingo . He's very inexperienced, and lets give it time.
Agree he has certain deficiencies that need to be addressed, but I think he's been good.
Addison for mine will go. Just can't command a regular game.

Mofra
02-09-2013, 10:52 AM
Higgins and Williams - both senior players if fit.

'If' being the problem, not when.

I expect us to keep both, but how long can we carry two guys on the list that are unlikely to play more than a handful of games between them per season?

bornadog
02-09-2013, 10:55 AM
Higgins and Williams - both senior players if fit.

'If' being the problem, not when.

I expect us to keep both, but how long can we carry two guys on the list that are unlikely to play more than a handful of games between them per season?

On Williams, given his age, I would expect 2014 to be his last chance.

Greystache
02-09-2013, 10:56 AM
Can we continue of the same improvement curve in 2014, or will we hit some poor patches again where we struggle to be competitive?

Are we going to see some fringe players like Tutt, Wood, and Cordy finally step up or should we cut our losses

Our perennially injured hopefuls Higgins and Williams going to repay the faith or will it be more of the same.

Bulldog Joe
02-09-2013, 11:36 AM
Can we continue of the same improvement curve in 2014, or will we hit some poor patches again where we struggle to be competitive?

Are we going to see some fringe players like Tutt, Wood, and Cordy finally step up or should we cut our losses

Our perennially injured hopefuls Higgins and Williams going to repay the faith or will it be more of the same.

I know I am a perennial optimist but I see no reason for the improvement not to continue.

I think all the players you mention can be significant in that.

Tutt has shown some signs, and while he needs more poise, that should come with experience. He has the line breaking run and can kick the ball over distance to advantage.
He can bring what Eagleton provided in that 2008-10 team.

Wood has a versatility that others don't have. He also has shown glimpses of really being able to make it only to be troubled by injury. His ability to play above his height is important, but he can also be a line breaker.

Cordy has looked much better in his last few games at Williamstown. His ruck work is progressing and he can take a mark, and looks much better on the move. I think he just needs the confidence to play.

Higgins and Williams are obviously best 22 players when fit.

2014 is probably the last chance for Williams to get through a season. I would expect him to retire if he has another long term injury.

Higgins also has had unusual injuries and the latest one is very difficult to recover from. If he can get fit he will certainly improve the side.

G-Mo77
02-09-2013, 09:08 PM
Tutt.
He adds what we need but has almost zero composure. It'll come with more experience, next season he's got to show it.

Roberts.
I know I've put a lot of high hopes on the kid has he got enough to break into the squad?

Higgins and Williams
2 players who are so important but we can't keep them on the park. List spots are so valuable can we afford to gamble on both when there is a good chance they could be on the shelf for most of the season next season?

Throughandthrough
02-09-2013, 10:31 PM
I know I've been banging on about Jarryd Lyons all year about him being the clearance king of the Sanfl. (Which he is) and not getting much of a go at the crows

Jl is a ripper bloke and he deserves better treatment then he gets from
The crows Pretty sure he won't be there next year

Talking to some crows people yesterday, the knock is that he is a little slow/ not an elite at "the spread".

Oh, and one of Shaun mckernans team mates told me Saturday that he thinks McKernan is scared of hard contact

azabob
02-09-2013, 11:11 PM
I know I've been banging on about Jarryd Lyons all year about him being the clearance king of the Sanfl. (Which he is) and not getting much of a go at the crows

Jl is a ripper bloke and he deserves better treatment then he gets from
The crows Pretty sure he won't be there next year

Talking to some crows people yesterday, the knock is that he is a little slow/ not an elite at "the spread".

Oh, and one of Shaun mckernans team mates told me Saturday that he thinks McKernan is scared of hard contact

Not sure of the point of getting Lyons.

1eyedog
02-09-2013, 11:40 PM
Wallis - hoping the tagging role is an apprenticeship and can development into a genuine play maker.

Dickson - he is a good footballer and knows where the goals are but I am not convinced that he is the right forward going forward (so to speak). With Gia committing, Grant improving and Stringer impressing early I think Dicko's position is precarious.

The Bulldogs Bite
03-09-2013, 01:39 AM
Young -- His fitness is poor. Really poor. Struggled in many second halves, which severely effects his ability to spread/defend. Can he improve this to the level required? Good player if he can.

Jones -- Can he take a big step forward? He needs to. He doesn't do nearly enough and although he showed some good signs early in the year, his second half was poor. IF we get somebody like Crameri, Jones could quickly find himself at the back of the pack given Campbell's rapid rise and versatility.

azabob
03-09-2013, 09:34 AM
Wallis - hoping the tagging role is an apprenticeship and can development into a genuine play maker.

Dickson - he is a good footballer and knows where the goals are but I am not convinced that he is the right forward going forward (so to speak). With Gia committing, Grant improving and Stringer impressing early I think Dicko's position is precarious.

Interesting, I actually had Grant as my concern. I think there is room for all the players you mentioned.