PDA

View Full Version : Who will be captain and vice next year for the dogs?

LostDoggy
05-09-2013, 10:54 PM
The season is over, this is not a vote.

Simply, what should our leadership structure be next year in your opinion?

My thoughts...

Captain: Griffen - he is the man that everyone will follow
Vice: Murphy and Minson

Morris a Marshall for the defence
Gia to take a near coaching role for the forward line plus some game time.
Boyd to focus on his game and role
Cooney to just concentrate on being Cooney
Libba banging the door down to become part of the leadership group but should hold off another year at least, his mate Wally will be on his heals by then

I know there are other captain threads but let this one be free and from the heart, irrational if you like. Call it how you see it and let people have their opinions.

bornadog
05-09-2013, 10:59 PM
There is some talk that Boyd should continue one more year and then Griffo take over. My opinion is we need to start looking into the future sooner rather than later. I would like to see a complete change.

Griffen Captain, Minno and Wallis Vice captains with senior players continuing on with their mentoring roles.

bulldogtragic
05-09-2013, 11:00 PM
There is some talk that Boyd should continue one more year and then Groiffo take over. My opinion is we need to start looking into the future sooner rather than later. I would like to see a complete change.

Griffen Captain, Minno and Wallis Vice captains with senior players continuing on with their mentoring roles.
Ditto. Griff, Minno and Wally.

AndrewP6
05-09-2013, 11:04 PM
Griffen captain. It's time.
Murphy or Minno vice-captain ( one or the other, not both)

Boyd to focus on footy, and maximising his strengths whilst minimising his weaknesses.

azabob
05-09-2013, 11:07 PM
Great thread Marcov.

I think Roughead also oozes leadership potential and is one to watch.

Liberatore is my favourite player on our list and has been done since day one, however I don't he will be ready for an offical leadership role for sometime. He seems a very quiet and reserved. Very much in the Griffen mould in his younger days.

Griffen captain, Minson his deputy.

LostDoggy
05-09-2013, 11:14 PM
Great thread Marcov.

I think Roughead also oozes leadership potential and is one to watch.

Liberatore is my favourite player on our list and has been done since day one, however I don't he will be ready for an offical leadership role for sometime. He seems a very quiet and reserved. Very much in the Griffen mould in his younger days.

Griffen captain, Minson his deputy.

Cheers Aza, I reckon Libba has become my favourite player this year, he seems the guy to build the future around. He is the type of player that will grow an extra leg come finals time and drag the team over the line. Grim, fanatical determination in this guy.

LostDoggy
05-09-2013, 11:14 PM
Captain: Ryan Griffen. Our best and most consistent player despite copping a hard tag every week. Has become an absolute warrior and the players would run through brick walls for him.

Vice-captain: Bob Murphy. Spiritual leader of the Club. Has bled red, white and blue for many years and the title of VC would be a fitting reward.

In his final year Gia will be more or less a playing assistant coach. Boyd showed in the second half of the season just how effective he can be when he doesn't try to do the impossible every time. Not having the pressure of captaincy will allow him to focus on maximising his role for the team during the final year or two of his career, whilst still providing on-field leadership and an exemplary example for his younger team mates. Morris another possibility for VC being the general down back. As marcov said above, let's just let Cooney be Cooney.

As for the future, Libba, Wallis and Roughead are the next generation of leaders for mine. If it weren't for so many injuries, I'd imagine Higgins would be right up there too. If he does somehow manage to get his body right and have some luck, I'd like to see him just focus on getting the best out of himself for the team without the added pressure of being an 'official' leader.

GVGjr
05-09-2013, 11:19 PM
I really like Minson but I wonder if his indiscretions will count against him for any leadership roles? It probably shouldn't but its at least a consideration.

My roughy for a senior leadership role is Jordan Roughead. Next year is probably too early for him but maybe in 12 months time.

jeemak
06-09-2013, 12:06 AM
Boyd remaining as captain wouldn't surprise me. If we're not going to keep Boyd as captain then I don't see him leading in an official capacity.

I'd like to see Griffen captain, with Higgins, Murphy and Minson as his deputies.

LostDoggy
06-09-2013, 01:16 AM
Tough, Boyd may well still keep it, with his speech at the best and fairest etc he's reminded people why he's captain.

I think the best leaders at the club outside of Boyd, Murphy, Gia, Morris and Crossy are probably Minson, Griffen, Wallis and Roughead. (Didn't include the perennially injured Higgins)

So if Boyd steps down then I expect Griffen to be skipper with Wallis vice captain

soupman
06-09-2013, 08:16 AM
Don't we have that leadership model in place where we have a captain and then everyone else is "equal"?

Griffen is pretty much a lock for captain, and I'm not sure we will go beyond naming that, although if he doesn't play I think Murphy is next in line.

Greystache
06-09-2013, 08:47 AM
Captain- Giffen, he was the spiritual leader this season and it's time to make it official.

Vice-Captain- Roughead, he plays arguably the most important role in the team and has excelled in the past 2 seasons. I see his leadership potential and the added responsibility might elevate him to another level again.

Mofra
06-09-2013, 10:20 AM
Don't we have that leadership model in place where we have a captain and then everyone else is "equal"?
That's what I thought - I'd love Griff as captain but previously he's been happy to be just a player. If his acting-captain role indicates a change of heart he'd be fantastic for us.

SlimPickens
06-09-2013, 10:54 AM
Captain- Definitely Griffen, has taken huge strides this year.

Vice Captain- Clay Smith- is held in such high regard down at the footy club. Players/Coaches love him, think he'd be fantastic in the role.

Leadership group- Roughead, Murph, Minno and Wallis

Maddog37
06-09-2013, 11:16 AM
Captain. Dale Morris

Vice captain. Dale Morris.

Deputy VC ......you guessed it, Dale Morris.

Seriously though it is time to start the charge forward.

Captain Griff with joint Vcs Libba and Mitch.

Higgo, murph, Dale, Minno, Coons etc are all leaders that do not need a title.

Gia will still do a mountain of media anyways.

Ozza
06-09-2013, 01:13 PM
One way to look at it would be - if Boyd was gone - who is the next 3-5 yr Captain - Griffen.

After Griffen - who is the next 3-5 year captain - I think its between Wally and Roughead.

It doesn't appear that Macca labels a specific Vice Captain....but I'd say;

Griffen Captain.

Leadership group:

Griffen, Murphy, Boyd, Minson, Wallis, Roughead, Morris

Twodogs
06-09-2013, 01:26 PM
My roughy for a senior leadership role is Jordan Roughead. Next year is probably too early for him but maybe in 12 months time.

So Roughy is your roughy? :)

Captain- Giffen, he was the spiritual leader this season and it's time to make it official.

Vice-Captain- Roughead, he plays arguably the most important role in the team and has excelled in the past 2 seasons. I see his leadership potential and the added responsibility might elevate him to another level again.

Yep, good post. My view exactly.

LostDoggy
06-09-2013, 01:32 PM
I actually think Murphy should be the captain. He's not just a leader on and off-field, he's very well-spoken and well-known in the media, he is a heart-and-soul-of-the-team player and as others have said, it would be a fitting reward.

I think Griff has enough responsibility to carry the team without burdening him with the captain's role as well. It's not that I don't think he deserves it — he absolutely does, and if he really wants it, he'd make a compelling argument — but for me, the captain of the Dogs at the moment, in our current phase of development, should be somebody like Bob.

Griff to take the reins in 2015, when we should be really pushing for the eight.

Dancin' Douggy
09-09-2013, 12:17 PM
I actually think Murphy should be the captain. He's not just a leader on and off-field, he's very well-spoken and well-known in the media, he is a heart-and-soul-of-the-team player and as others have said, it would be a fitting reward.

I think Griff has enough responsibility to carry the team without burdening him with the captain's role as well. It's not that I don't think he deserves it — he absolutely does, and if he really wants it, he'd make a compelling argument — but for me, the captain of the Dogs at the moment, in our current phase of development, should be somebody like Bob.

Griff to take the reins in 2015, when we should be really pushing for the eight.

I was just about to write the exact same thing pretty much word for word.
Bob Murphy has certainly earned his place in the honour roll at the dogs.

Griffen seems a quiet type and maybe needs someone like Bob to front the media.

If Griffen WANTS to be captain after that, by all means, but give Bob the honour now while he's still around.

Will be a very popular choice IMO.

bornadog
09-09-2013, 12:44 PM
Given Bob's age, I would not be promoting him to a captain or vice captain this late in his career. Either we have a new broom, or Boyd continues for another year and some new young vice captains are brought in like Griffen, Minson, etc, ready for 2015.

KT31
09-09-2013, 01:08 PM
Rumour is touted that they are grooming Mitch as a future captain, would be a great chance to get him into the leadership group as a Vice.
Would keep Boyd and have Griff and Mitch as Vices.
Griff to Captain when Boyd is rested.

LostDoggy
09-09-2013, 01:09 PM
Given Bob's age, I would not be promoting him to a captain or vice captain this late in his career. Either we have a new broom, or Boyd continues for another year and some new young vice captains are brought in like Griffen, Minson, etc, ready for 2015.

What are your thoughts in terms of how his age adversely affects his suitability as captain?

G-Mo77
09-09-2013, 01:10 PM
Cameron Mooney in a recent interview mentioned something about Wallis. I can't remember the exacts as it was passed onto me from someone else. I think Boyd will be captain next year.

Murphy'sLore
09-09-2013, 01:24 PM
Cameron Mooney in a recent interview mentioned something about Wallis. I can't remember the exacts as it was passed onto me from someone else. I think Boyd will be captain next year.

I heard that discussion on SEN (Run Home, I think). Cam Mooney said something like, Griffin is on the road to becoming captain, but not quite ready just yet, and Wallis will be captain one day. The general tenor of his remarks led me to think that Boyd will be captain for one more year, followed by Griffin, with Wallis pencilled in to take over eventually.

You imagine he would have some inside knowledge and it's not pure speculation on his part.

bornadog
09-09-2013, 02:32 PM
What are your thoughts in terms of how his age adversely affects his suitability as captain?

I think the captain should be in the role for at least three years which I believe Murphy doesn't have. I would loved to have had Murphy as the Captain a couple of years ago.

LostDoggy
09-09-2013, 04:40 PM
I think the captain should be in the role for at least three years which I believe Murphy doesn't have. I would loved to have had Murphy as the Captain a couple of years ago.

When put in that light — not wanting to swap the C every year — your thinking is pretty solid. So I guess it comes down to that then, doesn't it?

bulldogtragic
09-09-2013, 04:57 PM
Griff has evolved to be captain. Now is the right time.

BulldogBelle
09-09-2013, 11:32 PM
The captain has to be able to give on-field instructions, give encouragement and admonish players if necessary. Lead by example. Fly the flag. Organise the huddles and give the g-ups.

Other duties include representation with the media, sponsors and supporters.

Not necessarily the best player. The captaincy may ruin the best player.

Murphy.

Give Griff the VC, just to let him know that we love him.

Nuggety Back Pocket
10-09-2013, 05:40 PM
Griffen is inspirational and would be a worthy leader. There would also be value in elevating Minson to be the vice captain. Boyd needs to be relieved of the captaincy responsibilities to focus on his own game. I would prefer to see Wallis really establish himself as a regular member and suggest his leadership aspirations be put on hold for the moment.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-09-2013, 06:16 PM

Agreed. Holding off for a year isn't something I would be in favour of, he's 26/27 isn't he?

I'd like to see Mitch as one of the VC's, ditto Minson.