PDA

View Full Version : Mad Monday strikes again (not us)

bulldogtragic
06-09-2013, 10:48 AM
Allegation:

High profile Brisbane AFL player is Brisbane was highly intoxicated on Monday. Approached a man in a wheelchair at a taxi rank. Said "you beauty, a wheelchair retard". Then tipped him out of his wheelchair, other players then threw food at him on the ground and took his maxi taxi.

Club investigating.

Source: Breaking Sky News

whythelongface
06-09-2013, 10:58 AM
Are some of these people imbeciles or what? Can't they act like normal members of our society and show respect to other people and property. Sure this is only an allegation at the moment, but if found true really they should be sent to undertake some serious community service.

Just grow up.

Maddog37
06-09-2013, 11:08 AM
If true, that is disgusting. The dwarf thing smelled to me of someone making the most of the situation they were in so it did not overly upset me (I know that is cynical and baseless).

bulldogtragic
06-09-2013, 11:12 AM
Sky News naming Daniel Rich just now.

Twodogs
06-09-2013, 11:12 AM
If this is true and what was said happened each player should appear before the AFL tribunal. The player who tipped the guy out of his chair must be suspended for at least a year, the food chuckers get appropriate suspensions. No mucking around. No long drawn out negotiations.

Then all the information gets passed on to the police and they take their action. If true the initial act is battery.

soupman
06-09-2013, 12:02 PM
If this is true as posted above I will be very surprised. Surely nobody would ever do that.

I feel like it will be like that scene in extras where Andy Millman asks the waitress to tell a mother to quieten her kid down in a restaurant, who turns out to have down syndrome, and within days the chinese whispers of the media have turned it into a story about how he punched a down syndrome kid and a defenceless wheelchair bound mother in the face.

G-Mo77
06-09-2013, 12:17 PM
OK lets name the charity the player will donate to......

If tipping the man and his chair over wasn't bad enough they upped their efforts threw food at him while he was one the ground. What a pathetic pack of disgusting individuals.

LostDoggy
06-09-2013, 12:23 PM
Something's not right here, and i don't mean the players actions.

There's a line in humanity, no matter how pissed you are, but this isn't the whole story. It can't be.

Greystache
06-09-2013, 12:28 PM
If this is true as posted above I will be very surprised. Surely nobody would ever do that.

I feel like it will be like that scene in extras where Andy Millman asks the waitress to tell a mother to quieten her kid down in a restaurant, who turns out to have down syndrome, and within days the chinese whispers of the media have turned it into a story about how he punched a down syndrome kid and a defenceless wheelchair bound mother in the face.

I think that's likely to be along the lines of what happened.

When you have a media that is desperately looking for stories like this to write, and there is sections of the public that desperately wants to believe them, evidence and the truth become irrelevant in the pursuit.

You only need to look at the St Kilda "school girl" situation- The most unreliable of witnesses, who had lie after lie exposed, yet every claim was published one after the next by the media and accepted as fact by some of the public until they were proven to be false. Ultimately the whole story was proven to be lies, but it took 6 months of media bashing before that happened.

Twodogs
06-09-2013, 12:39 PM

You'd be surprised. I have had people get out of their cars at traffic lights and try to punch a client sitting in the passenger sear of my car because he didn't like the "way he was looking at me" I've been told to "get back to the zoo". I've even seen staff members abuse and subject clients to violence.

People with disabilities don't always react to situations the way the rest of us do and sometimes those reactions and situations are misinterpreted and escalate very quickly.

99% of people are fine but there is an element of society that react violently to people with disabilities.

LostDoggy
06-09-2013, 01:42 PM
You'd be surprised. I have had people get out of their cars at traffic lights and try to punch a client sitting in the passenger sear of my car because he didn't like the "way he was looking at me" I've been told to "get back to the zoo". I've even seen staff members abuse and subject clients to violence.

People with disabilities don't always react to situations the way the rest of us do and sometimes those reactions and situations are misinterpreted and escalate very quickly.

99% of people are fine but there is an element of society that react violently to people with disabilities.

It's sad, isn't it? I wouldn't be surprised at all. People are *****, pure and simple.

Where's the common decency and empathy for your fellow man?

Twodogs
06-09-2013, 02:03 PM
It's sad, isn't it? I wouldn't be surprised at all. People are *****, pure and simple.

Where's the common decency and empathy for your fellow man?

It is sad, but I see it as more their problem than anything. I was at Highpoint one day when a woman stated abusing us. She was trotting out all the names and swearing and carrying on. Then she went to pay and the shop assistant said "if you think your money is welcome here then you've got another thing coming" and told her to leave the shop. It reaffirmed my faith in human nature.

LostDoggy
06-09-2013, 02:43 PM
Looking on the AFL website and this popped up.

http://i44.tinypic.com/35je5bb.jpg

Twodogs
06-09-2013, 03:03 PM
Looking on the AFL website and this popped up.

http://i44.tinypic.com/35je5bb.jpg

Is that Rich? He looks like Sir Lancelot.

LostDoggy
06-09-2013, 03:04 PM

What you are saying is true and I have seen it. However a wheelchair can't be misinterpreted, it's pretty obvious.

LostDoggy
06-09-2013, 03:09 PM
Is that Rich? He looks like Sir Lancelot.

It's not Rich. It's a Tyranosaurus Rex ;)

Twodogs
06-09-2013, 03:22 PM
What you are saying is true and I have seen it. However a wheelchair can't be misinterpreted, it's pretty obvious.

Don't start me on wheelchair stories. People pushing in front of them, snide remarks about favouritism, problems with access...

westdog54
06-09-2013, 10:26 PM
It is sad, but I see it as more their problem than anything. I was at Highpoint one day when a woman stated abusing us. She was trotting out all the names and swearing and carrying on. Then she went to pay and the shop assistant said "if you think your money is welcome here then you've got another thing coming" and told her to leave the shop. It reaffirmed my faith in human nature.

Love stories like that.

A mate of mine used to work at the Reject Shop. A mate of his had just had surgery on his wrists and had some scars that liked a bit like a heroin addict's tracks. A customer started abusing him, calling him a druggie and all sorts of other names.

The Duty Manager comes over and says "Listen here you stupid bitch. Put your money back in your wallet and get out. No one talks to my people like that."

AndrewP6
06-09-2013, 10:32 PM
Don't start me on wheelchair stories. People pushing in front of them, snide remarks about favouritism, problems with access...

Nor me!

Twodogs
07-09-2013, 11:21 AM
Nor me!

What's your perspective about all this Andrew?

Likely to be blown out of proportion or something that happens with drunks and bogan dickheads?

azabob
07-09-2013, 11:53 AM
What's your perspective about all this Andrew?

Likely to be blown out of proportion or something that happens with drunks and bogan dickheads?

I don't understand your comment and if you are having a dig at Andrew? Either way I think he is in a position where his comments would be accurate.

Twodogs
07-09-2013, 12:26 PM
I don't understand your comment and if you are having a dig at Andrew? Either way I think he is in a position where his comments would be accurate.

No, not having a dig at all. I'm genuinely interested in Andrew's views.

Topdog
07-09-2013, 12:27 PM

I have no idea how you have taken it as a dig at Andrew. Honestly I read the comment back 10 times trying to look for a possible way that it could be taken incorrectly and couldn't find it.

He is simply asking him for his opinion

AndrewP6
07-09-2013, 12:50 PM

No, not having a dig at all. I'm genuinely interested in Andrew's views.

I have no idea how you have taken it as a dig at Andrew. Honestly I read the comment back 10 times trying to look for a possible way that it could be taken incorrectly and couldn't find it.

He is simply asking him for his opinion

I didn't take the question as anyone having a dig at all, no harm done in the slightest. As for the question, well, I can imagine (unfortunately) this sort of thing going on - mix alcohol with bogans/dickheads and you do get some pretty poor behaviour. It's never happened to me personally, at least not with a physical act as has been alleged here, but I have experienced some pretty ordinary language and comments from drunken idiots in such circumstances. And it's not right for it o happen to anyone, let alone someone who is more physically vulnerable than others.

So, I'd be absolutely appalled (as im sure most would be) if the allegations were to be proven true, but I'm willing to see if any more facts come to light.

bornadog
07-09-2013, 02:43 PM
So, I'd be absolutely appalled (as im sure most would be) if the allegations were to be proven true, but I'm willing to see if any more facts come to light.

I alway believe there are two sides to every story so at this stage we haven't heard the other side.