PDA

View Full Version : Western Bulldogs offer Jarrad Grant one-year extension

chef
12-09-2013, 07:32 AM
THE Western Bulldogs have offered late-season sensation Jarrad Grant a new contract as hopes grow they could land Essendon’s Stewart Crameri.

The one-season offer for Grant is a story of perseverance given he was playing VFL reserves this year, but he is pushing for a two-year deal.

The Dogs and Essendon both say Crameri is yet to make up his mind, and could yet stay at the Bombers.

But there is no way the Bombers will be able to match a four-year $1.8 million deal for hard-leading Crameri.

It means the Dogs are in the box seat to secure him given the dual lures of opportunity and extra money.

The Bulldogs said yesterday they still were awaiting his word despite intensifying speculation Crameri will make the move.

Grant was on the scrapheap midyear after another mediocre season but came into the senior in Round 16 and peeled off eight quality games.

The former No. 5 draft selection kicked 13 goals and averaged 17 possessions, but if the Dogs lure Crameri or other targets Jesse White and Scott Gumbleton he could still be surplus to requirements.

There is rival interest given his hot finish to the year but a two-year deal would clearly see him staying.

Manager Anthony McConville, of Macs Sports, said yesterday negotiations were continuing.

"Jarrad has been offered a contract with the Western Bulldogs, and at this stage there will be further discussions,’’ he said.

Essendon is also fighting to keep ruckman Tom Bellchambers, with negotiations delicately poised.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/western-bulldogs-offer-jarrad-grant-one-year-extension-while-hopes-grow-on-essendons-stewart-crameri/story-fniv6fwe-1226717117533

GVGjr
12-09-2013, 07:49 AM
Tough deal, probably should have been offered a two year deal. Lets hope he accepts it.

always right
12-09-2013, 09:18 AM
For a guy many were calling to be delisted I would have thought a one year extension is a responsible decision by the club. Grant owes the club for persevering with him after he has provided little return so far. The signs in the latter part of the season were positive but he needs to prove that it wasn't a flash in the pan. If he backs it up next year I'm sure he will be offered a longer term contract.

azabob
12-09-2013, 09:21 AM
For a guy many were calling to be delisted I would have thought a one year extension is a responsible decision by the club. Grant owes the club for persevering with him after he has provided little return so far. The signs in the latter part of the season were positive but he needs to prove that it wasn't a flash in the pan. If he backs it up next year I'm sure he will be offered a longer term contract.

My thoughts exactly.

Greystache
12-09-2013, 09:35 AM

Exactly. He's shown glimpses of form previously only for it, along with his work rate, to drop away dramatically the following year. If he can prove he's turned the corner there will be many contract extensions ahead.

jeemak
12-09-2013, 09:55 AM
I think it will come down to whether there is genuine interest for him from other parties. If there is, he will get his two years.

Fair and reasonable starting position from the club. If pushed, I don't think they'll let him go.

The Doctor
12-09-2013, 09:55 AM
Agree with AR.

Greystache
12-09-2013, 09:59 AM
I think it will come down to whether there is genuine interest for him from other parties. If there is, he will get his two years.

Fair and reasonable starting position from the club. If pushed, I don't think they'll let him go.

I think what happens with trade targets will also play a part. For what it's worth I think he'll get the 2 years anyway.

LostDoggy
12-09-2013, 10:09 AM
Out forward line went from dysfunctional to functional after he was introduced. I would think 2 years would be a good investment.

Mofra
12-09-2013, 10:22 AM
I'd prefer a 1 year deal + extension clause - Grant gets his 2 year deal subject to performance, the club get some level of protection against poor perfrmance. Win/win.

I wouldn't be uncomfortable with a 2 year deal though - we gave Mulligan 3 years FFS

Scorlibo
12-09-2013, 10:46 AM
Out forward line went from dysfunctional to functional after he was introduced. I would think 2 years would be a good investment.

Agree, he proved himself our best forward after he came into the senior side. I would be looking for a 1 year deal with talks of an extension to be held early in 2014.

bulldogtragic
12-09-2013, 11:11 AM
Agree, he proved himself our best forward after he came into the senior side. I would be looking for a 1 year deal with talks of an extension to be held early in 2014.
Cordy = 3 years
Grant = 1 year

??????

bornadog
12-09-2013, 11:17 AM
Cordy = 3 years
Grant = 1 year

??????

Cordy = Fantasia

Grant = J Macca

For what its worth, to be offered one year is an insult.

bulldogtragic
12-09-2013, 11:21 AM
Cordy = Fantasia

Grant = J Macca

Agree.

Something doesn't compute to me. The conspiracy theorist in me thinks we are telling the world we want him while forcing him to consider other options...

chef
12-09-2013, 11:33 AM

I think its probably fair enough ATM. Put in a whole season like his last half a dozen games and a longer contract will be on his way. He's not there yet.

comrade
12-09-2013, 11:33 AM
Guys, it's a starting position. Obviously we have a few trading irons in the fire that will impact what sort of coin we can offer him over 2 years. It's a positive thing we're not making knee jerk list management decisions based on a handful of good games.

We'll keep him and it will be a deal that is beneficial to both parties.

SlimPickens
12-09-2013, 11:51 AM
Guys, it's a starting position. Obviously we have a few trading irons in the fire that will impact what sort of coin we can offer him over 2 years. It's a positive thing we're not making knee jerk list management decisions based on a handful of good games.

Agree Comrade, this is a positive move by the footy club and one which should be applauded. Grant had a solid month of footy and has been rewarded with a year contract. Playing AFL footy is a privilege, and one that shouldn't be taken for granted (pun intended).

Topdog
12-09-2013, 12:18 PM
I'd prefer a 1 year deal + extension clause - Grant gets his 2 year deal subject to performance, the club get some level of protection against poor perfrmance. Win/win.

I wouldn't be uncomfortable with a 2 year deal though - we gave Mulligan 3 years FFS

I'd be happy with that. We really should be looking to protect ourselves as well.

Bulldog4life
12-09-2013, 01:36 PM

Yes agree too Comrade. Well put.

Remi Moses
12-09-2013, 02:40 PM

Yep agree with this.

Eastdog
12-09-2013, 03:13 PM

Agree Mofra. He has to back it up next season if he is in the running for a contract extension. Do you reckon he still needs to beef up a bit.

G-Mo77
12-09-2013, 04:18 PM
I'm confident he'll sign on for 2 years. No inside knowledge, no rumours just a hunch that it'll be officially 2 years.

Regardless of his history 1 year could be regarded as a little insulting and should Grant have a great year there will be teams throwing coin at him at the end of 2014 and if he harbours that insult it could be tough to keep him.

Locking him up for 2 is safe and fair IMO.

FrediKanoute
12-09-2013, 10:31 PM
Cordy = 3 years
Grant = 1 year

??????

My thouhts exactly. If he performs next year he will attract offers which we will struggle to match - lock him away!

LostDoggy
12-09-2013, 11:09 PM
Cant see him going backwards, he was a little quieter late in the year prob due to more attention which is good frees up someone else. Give him two years. Ive always rated him.

LostDoggy
13-09-2013, 04:33 PM
Cant see him going backwards, he was a little quieter late in the year prob due to more attention which is good frees up someone else. Give him two years. Ive always rated him.

I'd be wary of giving more than a year to a bloke who had to be dropped to the VFL for half a season, in a contract-year, to find his heart muscle. I'm rapt he finally seems to be coming good, but I would wait him out, and if he backs up in Round 1-5 with the same effort and consistency, sign him in Round 6 for a further two years after next.

LostDoggy
13-09-2013, 10:21 PM
I'd be wary of giving more than a year to a bloke who had to be dropped to the VFL for half a season, in a contract-year, to find his heart muscle. I'm rapt he finally seems to be coming good, but I would wait him out, and if he backs up in Round 1-5 with the same effort and consistency, sign him in Round 6 for a further two years after next.

Yes but I wouldn't be check, raising at this stage. Not while the Northern clubs are still circling.

Maybe the Coach whispered in his ear the right way this time.

LostDoggy
13-09-2013, 10:24 PM
How hard of a Match Up is he going to be if Crameri and Stringer are running around?

X Factor to the hilt. He is one I want to keep.

KT31
15-09-2013, 01:49 AM
How hard of a Match Up is he going to be if Crameri and Stringer are running around?

Love Grant and have been a big advocate but .......
We are talking about a bloke who has played not may games and not seemed to have given a toss until a few games back.
Offer him a year and if he has any character he will play longer for us.
Geelong wouldn't settle we are rebuilding why should we ?

Remi Moses
15-09-2013, 02:15 AM

He's an X factor no doubt, but he's been below par until the last 6 weeks of the season.
Time Jarryd re-paid the clubs loyality and faith in him.

LostDoggy
16-09-2013, 09:27 AM
Yes but I wouldn't be check, raising at this stage. Not while the Northern clubs are still circling.

Maybe the Coach whispered in his ear the right way this time.

If you mean Brissie then there are a few options I would happily consider if he dug his heels in on 2 or 3 year deal.

If he goes on with the last 6 weeks of this year Jarrad will be in a great position to ask for good dollars and a lengthy contract. If he tapers off again (and he's done that after flashes of brilliance twice already at my count) then the club has protected our interests.

I'd happily keep him but I'd happily trade him for the right deal whilst he has some currency. He was on the delist almost certainly 8 weeks before the end of the season.

Jeanette54
08-10-2013, 01:21 PM
For the latest progress regarding Jarrad's re-signing check out

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-08/jarrads-wish-not-yet-granted

on the AFL Website.

LostDoggy
08-10-2013, 01:44 PM
Would like to see a one-year contract with a two-year extension on top of that subject to performance in the first half of next year.

Greystache
10-10-2013, 12:44 AM
This answers a few questions people had on the club's approach to Grant.

The 24-year-old has been offered a one-year contract extension by the Dogs, but it is understood that deal includes a games-played incentive clause that would trigger a second season

I'm happy with that strategy personally.

Link (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/lions-weigh-up-trade-for-dogs-grant-20131009-2v8qn.html)

bornadog
10-10-2013, 01:11 AM
This answers a few questions people had on the club's approach to Grant.

I'm happy with that strategy personally.

Link (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/lions-weigh-up-trade-for-dogs-grant-20131009-2v8qn.html)

That would be a sensible way to go.

JohnGentStand
10-10-2013, 05:22 PM
I am finally excited about what Grant will bring to the table next year and he may not be there????
Sign him up! He is an absolute game-breaker / x-factor. Show the boy some love and we shall be rewarded.

Disclaimer : my opinion only and may not be that of the masses

Jeanette54
11-10-2013, 11:37 AM
For the latest news see

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/lions-weigh-up-trade-for-dogs-grant-20131009-2v8qn.html

Can't believe that we would actually do this

chef
11-10-2013, 11:52 AM
For the latest news see

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/lions-weigh-up-trade-for-dogs-grant-20131009-2v8qn.html

Can't believe that we would actually do this

:D

Thats an article from earlier in the week.