PDA

View Full Version : Rookie List Strategy

bulldogtragic
16-09-2013, 12:50 PM
For mine:

3rd Year Rookie Spot: Austin (we/he qualify for this advantage, so why not use it)
Re-rookied: Goodes (with retirements next year and a 3rd year spot the year after if needed, I don't see the urgency to promote him)

Delisted: Greenwood, Redpath and Jong (owing to ACL injury)

=

Tall defender depth, HBF depth and 3 new rookies.

dogman
16-09-2013, 01:00 PM
Have been told that all rookies will be retained.

Redpath will continue to get developed into fullback.

Not sure if injury to Jong in change anything though.

soupman
16-09-2013, 01:41 PM
We can only have one 3rd year rookie so we can only re-rookie one of Redpath, Austin, Jong and Greenwood. Otherwise to keep them we have to promote them.

bulldogtragic
16-09-2013, 02:24 PM
We can only have one 3rd year rookie so we can only re-rookie one of Redpath, Austin, Jong and Greenwood. Otherwise to keep them we have to promote them.
Exactly.

azabob
16-09-2013, 02:28 PM

Promote Austin
Re-Rookie Goodes
Delist the rest. Although they seemed to be impressed with Redpath's progress, so he may earn a 3rd year on the rookie list.

soupman
16-09-2013, 03:14 PM
Goodes is a first year rookie btw, so can be re-rookied or promoted.

stefoid
16-09-2013, 05:51 PM

Dont think thats good list management at all, if true.

bulldogsman
16-09-2013, 08:45 PM

Greenwood will surely be delisted?

gohardorgohome
18-09-2013, 10:37 AM
I believe that you only retain players that you believe have the potential to be a premiership player or those which can help young players develop to be a premiership player. Austin has had a long time in the system and has not set the world on fire in low to middle teams. I think it is time to let him go.

Bulldog Joe
18-09-2013, 12:49 PM
I believe that you only retain players that you believe have the potential to be a premiership player or those which can help young players develop to be a premiership player. Austin has had a long time in the system and has not set the world on fire in low to middle teams. I think it is time to let him go.

There are some pretty average players who have been part of premiership teams.

Think Mark Blake, Aaron Keating and even Shane Ellen.

I believe you retain players who can play a role in helping the team be competitive even if only for injury cover.

While you do need to let players go, it should be about having someone to potentially replace them and improve the squad. When you know that you are likley to draft or trade in someone better, it is fine.

I think the test should be if the spot was free would you pick the player you already have to fill it?

If that is the case why delist?

bulldogtragic
02-10-2013, 05:12 PM
DANIEL Flynn was due for a new footy anyway. After deciding earlier this year he would pursue an AFL career, the Irishman had taken his Sherrin everywhere.

He has practiced his kicking over and over on both feet, has run with the ball, learned how to bounce it proficiently, and done everything with a minimum of fuss.

He has grown accustomed to having the oval ball at his side.

But Flynn and his ball were separated last week, when he was en route to Melbourne for this week's NAB AFL Draft Combine.

"I was playing around with the ball, got through airport security and didn't think there would be a problem," Flynn told AFL.com.au.

"I got on the plane and was bouncing the ball up and down on the seat and an air hostess come over and said 'Sorry sir, we're going to have to take that'.

"I was laughing and said 'Why?' And she said 'If we don't take it the ball will explode'. I started laughing more and then she took it off me.

"It was just something to do on the plane, and use the time to get used to the ball. It was fairly worn by this stage anyway. It's in Dublin Airport now, so I'll probably never see it again."

The unfortunate incident of the ‘footy-grenade’ has been the only hiccup in Flynn's progression as he pushes to become the next international player recruited by an AFL club.

After arriving in Melbourne, he went for "a kick and a catch" with the Western Bulldogs, before meeting other clubs, including being flown to Alberton Oval by Port Adelaide on Sunday.

"I had a look around Adelaide and met a couple of the boys," said Flynn, who turned 20 last week.

"It's a lot calmer than Melbourne. It's a bit more laid-back. I enjoy it."

A young star of the All-Ireland Championships for his county Kildare, near Dublin, a few different factors were involved in Flynn's decision to try his hand at a new sport.

He tested well and impressed Tadhg Kennelly at an International Combine in April in Dublin, and realised then it was what he wanted to do, despite making some sacrifices.

"You're giving up things but you're getting stuff as well," he said.

Flynn understands he's different to almost everyone he's testing alongside this week at Etihad Stadium, but is using the point of difference the right way.

He's asking questions of some of the players, and trying to take note of what they do well, and how he can do the same things. Kennelly has given him a few tips.

From the technical side of things, the former Swan has reminded Flynn to keep his head over the ball when he's kicking and to follow through with his leg.

And in interviews with clubs, Kennelly has advised him of one thing the athletic and speedy medium defender won't be doing on an AFL ground.

"I've told him to try to slow down [when he talks]. It's a thick accent and it's very quick as well," Kennelly said.

"Daniel's pretty intelligent. He thinks about his footy and his life. He's a very funny kid, if you can understand him.

"He ticks all the boxes, and is really competitive. I'm very confident he'll get taken and so he should, he's up there with any of the boys who have come through with the same level of exposure."

Twitter: @AFL_CalTwomey

The Cowshed
02-10-2013, 05:36 PM
I'd be retaining Redpath...is a beast, good skills and pace for a big man...if we can get him right and free from injury

Goodes to be promoted to main list and unfortunately Jong (because of injury), Austin (played well towards the end of season but only a 'b' grader) and Greenwood (not good enough) should be delisted.

Mofra
02-10-2013, 06:03 PM
I don't get the idea of keeping Redpath and delisting Austin - Austin has shown an ability to play at AFL level, I haven't seen anything at VFL level from Redpath that suggests to me he's an AFL player.

Greystache
02-10-2013, 06:15 PM
I don't get the idea of keeping Redpath and delisting Austin - Austin has shown an ability to play at AFL level, I haven't seen anything at VFL level from Redpath that suggests to me he's an AFL player.

I haven't seen anything from Redpath at VFL level to suggest he's a VFL player. I fail to understand some supporters obsession with him.

bulldogtragic
02-10-2013, 06:25 PM
Ps, I posted an article above with a potential international rookie coming to us :)

The Cowshed
02-10-2013, 06:33 PM
Austin has been serviceable but will never be anything more. Redpath hasn't had a decent run with injury. He needs to be developed with one position in mind. I'm happy to back him in and give him one more year in the hope the outcome will be greater than anything anyone else on the current rookie list can provide. His only problem is that the recruitment of Stringer cuts his grass.

Happy Days
02-10-2013, 08:47 PM
I haven't seen anything from Redpath at VFL level to suggest he's a VFL player. I fail to understand some supporters obsession with him.

I get the feeling from some media the club has done that he's rated internally.

So i guess he's like a Markovic who's half gone through a car compacter.

Bulldog Revolution
02-10-2013, 08:55 PM
I get the feeling from some media the club has done that he's rated internally.

So i guess he's like a Markovic who's half gone through a car compacter.

After two years on the rookie list we have to be making a decision on players as to whether they can make it.

For my money Redpath is likely a super bloke but has produced little at VFL level, and has to be let go

At least with Marko he is a very good VFL level player

Greystache
02-10-2013, 09:02 PM
After two years on the rookie list we have to be making a decision on players as to whether they can make it.

For my money Redpath is likely a super bloke but has produced little at VFL level, and has to be let go

At least with Marko he is a very good VFL level player

That's what I think as well. Markovic looked like he was always going to struggle at AFL level, but he's a gun VFL player, whereas Redpath looks like he's always going to struggle at VFL level. For me he hasn't done anywhere near enough to be retained other than "be huge".

Scorlibo
02-10-2013, 09:09 PM
Ps, I posted an article above with a potential international rookie coming to us :)

:D There must be a lot of posters who fail to look at the date on threads.

I would love to get an Irishman on board! Pearce Hanley has become one of the best outside players going around and Zach Tuohy is heading the same way. Sounds a likely type and we should go for it.

bulldogtragic
02-10-2013, 09:10 PM

I would love to get an Irishman on board! Pearce Hanley has become one of the best outside players going around and Zach Tuohy is heading the same way. Sounds a likely type and we should go for it.
Yep, I was going to post yesterday should we pursue an international rookie, and today this. Here's hoping!

F'scary
03-10-2013, 12:09 AM
International Rookie: Borat of Kazakhstan.

" My country send me to Australia to be AFL football league player. Please, give me game. If it not success, I will be execute."

LostDoggy
03-10-2013, 09:05 AM
International Rookie: Borat of Kazakhstan.

" My country send me to Australia to be AFL football league player. Please, give me game. If it not success, I will be execute."

We don't need KP forwards mate. They don't win you premierships.

bulldogtragic
03-10-2013, 01:12 PM

He signed with Port Adelaide today.

Snooze you lose. Or we didn't rate him??

Axe Man
03-10-2013, 01:19 PM

Pure speculation on my part but may have been a case of both us and Port offering him a contract and he chose Port? Sounded like he preferred Adelaide from that article.

Bulldog4life
03-10-2013, 01:22 PM
Pure speculation on my part but may have been a case of both us and Port offering him a contract and he chose Port? Sounded like he preferred Adelaide from that article.

That's what I thought too. Said he like the laid back lifestyle of Adelaide.

Scorlibo
03-10-2013, 01:36 PM

Nooo. Ah well, best of luck to him, will look forward to him playing.

always right
03-10-2013, 04:01 PM

We were snoozing? Sounds to me that we gave it a shot but he prefers to live somewhere which has a pace of life more akin to what he is used to in Ireland. We've also spoken to Jesse White and Docherty. If they choose to go elsewhere do we blame our club for snoozing?

bulldogtragic
03-10-2013, 04:07 PM
We were snoozing? Sounds to me that we gave it a shot but he prefers to live somewhere which has a pace of life more akin to what he is used to in Ireland. We've also spoken to Jesse White and Docherty. If they choose to go elsewhere do we blame our club for snoozing?
Throw away line, I had a spare bed delivered from snooze this morning, and I'm looking at the receipt on the desk.... must be on the brain.

As for the others you mention, it seems they want a brand (ie Collingwood and Carlton) as opposed to opportunities at a club choc full of excitement.

always right
03-10-2013, 05:06 PM
Throw away line, I had a spare bed delivered from snooze this morning, and I'm looking at the receipt on the desk.... must be on the brain.

As for the others you mention, it seems they want a brand (ie Collingwood and Carlton) as opposed to opportunities at a club choc full of excitement.

Fair enough. Nothing like the trade period to increase sensitivity.:o

bulldogtragic
04-10-2013, 04:30 PM
Looks like Jayden Foster will be trying to get another year at Calder or Footscray. No paperwork for him as yet.