PDA

View Full Version : Good Friday football game.

KT31
24-09-2013, 02:09 PM
GOOD Friday football is back on the AFL agenda.

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/afl-clubs-tell-afl-theyre-eager-to-play-footy-on-good-friday/story-e6frfkp9-1226725453335

bulldogtragic
24-09-2013, 02:13 PM
Great, I've been banging on about this for ages.

We should get it, not sure I'd pick saints though. Surely we can tap into a bigger membership??

KT31
24-09-2013, 02:21 PM
Great, I've been banging on about this for ages.

We should get it, not sure I'd pick saints though. Surely we can tap into a bigger membership??

Agree would have thought a higher profile team or at least a team at the top of the ladder would be a better option.
Geelong spring to mind.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
24-09-2013, 04:40 PM
Agree would have thought a higher profile team or at least a team at the top of the ladder would be a better option.
Geelong spring to mind.

I'm happy with it being the Saints. They have as much motivation as we do in making this a viable long term proposition.
The fact that there is no love lost between the two clubs in recent times actually is an attractive concept in building a blockbuster event.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
24-09-2013, 04:48 PM
Geelong spring to mind.

We aren't exactly a big draw-card ourselves or an attractive enough proposition to be in any position to be too choosy. I don't hear Collingwood or Richmond calling out for blockbuster opportunities with us. If Saints are keen then that says a lot about their goodwill and seeing this as an opportunity for both clubs.

bornadog
24-09-2013, 05:25 PM
Whilst Peter was on his trip to New York re the equalisation, he mentioned the Good Friday game, and Vlad yelled out no bloody way.

AndrewP6
24-09-2013, 06:17 PM
Geelong spring to mind.

Why would a team like Geelong want a 'blockbuster' game against us? wouldn't make any sense for them. At least the Aints are in a similar position.

azabob
24-09-2013, 06:21 PM
Why would a team like Geelong want a 'blockbuster' game against us? wouldn't make any sense for them. At least the Aints are in a similar position.

Why does Collingwood want one against Melbourne?

bornadog
24-09-2013, 06:29 PM

That goes back a long way when those games on Queens Birthday, were big in the 1950's/early 60's.

Throughandthrough
24-09-2013, 07:21 PM
There was a Good Friday match in the Sanfl this year

The two teams involved ended up coming last and second last.

I blame god.

But seriously, woo hoo! I hope so

LostDoggy
24-09-2013, 08:05 PM
Shouldn't it be between the Saints and the Demonds? That would be a headline religious holiday game.

anfo27
24-09-2013, 08:20 PM
Happy that PG is coming out making known that we want this game. Would be massive for our club to have this game on our schedule on a permanent basis.

AndrewP6
24-09-2013, 10:53 PM

Good question

1eyedog
30-09-2013, 10:14 PM
You'd think Good Friday should be contested by the Saints and the Demons.

G-Mo77
01-10-2013, 12:08 AM
GWS will get it and Sheedy will claim he came up with the idea while drinking from his 10 bottle of red wine in his back garden.

bornadog
01-11-2013, 09:46 AM
Good Friday football 'gathering momentum' (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2013-10-31/good-friday-football-gathering-momentum)

The idea of playing football on Good Friday is "gathering momentum" with the AFL looking at the possibility of introducing the concept in 2015.

The 2014 fixture was released on Thursday with the religious holiday again ignored when it came to scheduling games.

But deputy CEO Gillon McLachlan said the idea was "being given careful consideration" ahead of 2015 and the Commission had discussed it extensively while next year's fixture was being finalised.

"If we're saying it's a 50-50 [chance] for the year after next, that's probably a good sign of momentum," McLachlan said on Thursday.

"It's probably even money. We had a good look at it."

Clubs are largely in favour of following the NRL and playing on the public holiday, with North Melbourne, Gold Coast and the Western Bulldogs most enthusiastic.

Next year's Easter fixture involves football over four days, as has been in the case in recent seasons.

The Brisbane Lions will host Richmond on the Thursday night and Geelong and Hawthorn will clash on Monday at the MCG.

There will be four games on Easter Saturday and three on Easter Sunday.

McLachlan said the League wanted to ensure it was entirely prepared before introducing Good Friday football and would have "proper respectful consultation" with stakeholders over the day of religious significance.

He also admitted there would be scheduling issues over who played in the marquee slot if it was approved.

"There are a lot of clubs who think they'd like to be playing, there's issues around timing," he said.

"Part of the challenge will be that there will be a dozen clubs who think they were the first guys to put their hands up to play on Good Friday.

"I don't know what we'll do; maybe have a wrestle off between the presidents or CEOs.

"I think that if we were going to do it, we need a long lead time and we don't think we really had that this year."

Over the years, AFL CEO Andrew Demetriou has declared Good Friday a non-option for a scheduled AFL game.

However, McLachlan said he believed the League boss was relaxing his stance.

"I don't know if he's always been completely against it," McLachlan said.

"He's mellowing. He's softening. He's like good wine.

"I don't know that Andrew has ever been dead against it, all I know is there was a good discussion at the Commission level and it hasn't been ruled out."

chef
01-11-2013, 10:02 AM
Probably end up being a Collingwood Carlton blockbuster.

bulldogtragic
01-11-2013, 10:07 AM
North are claiming it.

chef
01-11-2013, 10:16 AM
Channel 7 are going to want it to be a blockbuster so to tie it into their good friday appeal.

No way small clubs(or interstate ones) are going to have anything to do with it IMO.

bulldogtragic
01-11-2013, 10:18 AM
Channel 7 are going to want it to be a blockbuster so to tie it into their good friday appeal.

No way small clubs(or interstate ones) are going to have anything to do with it IMO.
Hadn't thought of that. That's a serious problem...

Hotdog60
01-11-2013, 10:22 AM
If the Dogs and Norf can have good seasons next year with bigger expectations in 2015 we maybe a chance.

ReLoad
01-11-2013, 10:25 AM
Given by the end of next year we wont have played on a Friday for 2.5 years I cant see that changing.

bulldogtragic
01-11-2013, 11:01 AM
Given by the end of next year we wont have played on a Friday for 2.5 years I cant see that changing.
Really that long? Geez, that's about 60 opportunities we've been overlooked for. Not giving me a warm and fuzzy feeling knowing this.

bulldogsthru&thru
01-11-2013, 11:09 AM
There is no way we will be involved in the game. Hell if we were the first to suggest the idea and pioneered it for 30 years with no other clubs wanting a bar of it we still wouldnt be involved. Equalisation is a pure myth. How do you travel to the US for a month on it yet still hand out a rubbish fixture to our club?

Greystache
01-11-2013, 01:20 PM

And yet given they haven't won a final in a decade and have a highest placed finish of 8th in that time, Essendon have 6 Friday night games next season. That's of course without factoring the whole "bringing the game into disrepute" business.

LostDoggy
01-11-2013, 01:29 PM
Maybe we have been promised the Good Friday game as long as we sit back and cop next years draw quiety.

That's the only explanation i can come up with.

LostDoggy
01-11-2013, 01:40 PM
I might be a little biased seeing as the old man is a Norf supporter but I'd love to see our two teams square off every Good Friday. North Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs are the last two working-class clubs and both contribute a significant amount to their communities given our financial situations. Regardless of this, I'd wager we contribute more to the community than these so-called "big clubs" do anyway. Just look at North's stance on pokies (one I'd love for us to hold as well). Both clubs need a big game, and with the right promotion the annual Good Friday clash between North Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs could be a big event.

boydogs
01-11-2013, 02:52 PM

I might be a little biased seeing as the old man is a Norf supporter but I'd love to see our two teams square off every Good Friday. North Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs are the last two working-class clubs and both contribute a significant amount to their communities given our financial situations. Regardless of this, I'd wager we contribute more to the community than these so-called "big clubs" do anyway. Just look at North's stance on pokies (one I'd love for us to hold as well). Both clubs need a big game, and with the right promotion the annual Good Friday clash between North Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs could be a big event.

North have requested they play Carlton, under of the guise of it being two clubs around the area of the Royal Children's Hospital. Really though they are looking to play a bigger club. I would love to see it be WB v NM though.

bornadog
04-11-2013, 02:10 PM
Dogs want first bite at Good Friday (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/dogs-want-first-bite-at-good-friday-20131031-2wm16.html)

chef
04-11-2013, 02:36 PM
Good luck with that.

Happy we're having a crack, but it will end up with a couple of bigger clubs getting it.

1eyedog
04-11-2013, 02:48 PM
Why don't we play footy on Good Friday again?

Throughandthrough
04-11-2013, 03:01 PM
the childrens hospital thing is only shown (or cared about) in Victoria. It would alienate the interstate viewers if channel 7 kept crossing to Denise Drysdale promising to Pash Ernie Sigley if someone donates $20

bulldogtragic
04-11-2013, 03:04 PM
Why don't we play footy on Good Friday again?
It would be blasphemous apparently.

hujsh
04-11-2013, 06:07 PM
the childrens hospital thing is only shown (or cared about) in Victoria. It would alienate the interstate viewers if channel 7 kept crossing to Denise Drysdale promising to Pash Ernie Sigley if someone donates $20

Then they can just show adds interstate and donate the money.

1eyedog
04-11-2013, 09:42 PM
It would be blasphemous apparently.

Well that's not very democratic, I'm not a Christian.

jeemak
04-11-2013, 11:09 PM
Well that's not very democratic, I'm not a Christian.

Like it or not, you live in a fairly Christian society (assuming you live in Australia).

I can't see us being given the nod for a Good Friday game. If the AFL decides to take the "risk" of scheduling a game they will not be able to afford perceived weaknesses in the concept such as a less than optimal crowd.

Sure, you could play it at Geelong, or maybe at Docklands to ensure the stadium is full when one low drawing crowd is playing, though would the football public accept the G not being filled on Good Friday?

A Bulldogs versus Norf game wouldn't fill the G. I doubt it would come close, as neutrals don't have as many Bulldogs and Norf supporting mates to drag them along and fill up the empty seats, while (in my opinion) supporters of stronger clubs like Hawthorn, Essendon, St Kilda, et al won't come along to a Bulldogs versus Norf "blockbuster" game (I hate that term) out of a feeling closely resembling spite.

1eyedog
04-11-2013, 11:38 PM
Like it or not, you live in a fairly Christian society (assuming you live in Australia).

I can't see us being given the nod for a Good Friday game. If the AFL decides to take the "risk" of scheduling a game they will not be able to afford perceived weaknesses in the concept such as a less than optimal crowd.

Sure, you could play it at Geelong, or maybe at Docklands to ensure the stadium is full when one low drawing crowd is playing, though would the football public accept the G not being filled on Good Friday?

A Bulldogs versus Norf game wouldn't fill the G. I doubt it would come close, as neutrals don't have as many Bulldogs and Norf supporting mates to drag them along and fill up the empty seats, while (in my opinion) supporters of stronger clubs like Hawthorn, Essendon, St Kilda, et al won't come along to a Bulldogs versus Norf "blockbuster" Message:
(I hate that term) out of a feeling closely resembling spite.

I've just got to say that regarding a back lash against Good Friday football the Australian population has approx. 60% affiliated Christians 20% of which are practicing 75% of which are over 60. There are more non-religions than there are practicing Christians at 24%. Clearly the AFL playing Good Friday matches is in line with the demographic.

hujsh
05-11-2013, 06:49 AM
Between the number of non-Christians and people who say they're Christian but don't really care or know much about religion, it's probably safe to say the majority of football fans won't find it that offensive to play football on Good Friday. You might get a vocal minority complaining but who cares it's a secular society and no religion should get preferential treatment because it's followed by a majority. We don't avoid playing football games on Jewish or Islamic holidays so Christian holidays are fair game.

jeemak
05-11-2013, 10:08 AM
I've just got to say that regarding a back lash against Good Friday football the Australian population has approx. 60% affiliated Christians 20% of which are practicing 75% of which are over 60. There are more non-religions than there are practicing Christians at 24%. Clearly the AFL playing Good Friday matches is in line with the demographic.

I get that. It's just that a lot of the people and or institutions with money, power and influence tend to have their way over those who don't have those things.

Over time the power base of religious institutions will die back.

bornadog
05-11-2013, 01:05 PM
I get that. It's just that a lot of the people and or institutions with money, power and influence tend to have their way over those who don't have those things.

Over time the power base of religious institutions will die back.

Yet the Storm play every GFriday

westdog54
05-11-2013, 03:52 PM
Guys, the discussion is getting very political. I'd hate to have to start clearing up the thread if it gets out of hand.

hujsh
05-11-2013, 09:00 PM
You mods think you can bully us with your power but the woofletariate will soon rise up and overthrow you before eventually using the same power and methods to bully the new underclass. That'll show ya.

But yeah if football on Good Friday is purely charitable no one could complain.

SonofScray
05-11-2013, 10:55 PM
My feeling is if we got the Good Friday game, the Church would shift the event to become Good Sunday.

As it stands, we already have Palm Sunday footy lined up.

bulldogtragic
06-11-2013, 10:52 AM
If the logic of the AFL is history of form (on field success) and crowd drawing ability is the basis of working out qualification for normal Friday night matches, of which we got none next year, I'm not sure our business case will be heard with an open mind.

Remi Moses
06-11-2013, 04:13 PM
My feeling is if we got the Good Friday game, the Church would shift the event to become Good Sunday.

As it stands, we already have Palm Sunday footy lined up.

It would be also Good Sunday twighlight

LostDoggy
12-11-2013, 12:21 PM
Yet the Storm play every GFriday

Not every year but we've had a few Good Friday games so far. This years was in Brisbane. We also played on Good Friday v Sea Eagles in 2001 and v Dragons in 2010, both games were at Etihad Stadium. Good crowds for both, and the 2010 one tied in really well with the Royal Childrens Hospital Appeal which was also broadcast out of Etihad Stadium.

I think a Bulldogs v North Melbourne match at Etihad on Good Friday would work well with the Royal Childrens Hospital Appeal. I also think we'd get supporters of other teams coming along if there's no other AFL in Melbourne that day.