PDA

View Full Version : Tell The truth, Do you really wish players going to other clubs - All The Best?

bornadog
15-10-2007, 01:56 PM
I know I shouldn't think like this, and I don't mean any harm to players, but generally when good players leave the club, like Judas and McJudas, I don't wish them all the best. I hope they flop and secretly, was happy Judas broke his leg. Yeah, I know its childish and immature, but I am so one eyed.

I guess for me its because I don't like ex-players playing well particularly against us.

How do you feel, or do you just ignore them and move on.

westdog54
15-10-2007, 02:01 PM
In most cases yes I do.

Not sure how I feel about Jordie though, as far as I'm concerned he was still a required player at the club. If he wanted to go home to SA that would've been all well and good but Richmond? I just don't get it.

The Coon Dog
15-10-2007, 02:03 PM
Depends on the circumstances in which they left us.

I don't want to see Jordy succeed, likewise for Brown.

I was annoyed with Luke Penny when he buggered off to St.Kilda, same goes for Gary Dempsey, Jim Edmond & Kym Koster.

Others, I wasn't too upset, just as long as they didn't go too well against us. This includes, Monty, Shane Birss, Barry Round & Michael McKenna.

Twodogs
15-10-2007, 02:04 PM
No real problem with Jordy. We can cover his loss, he didnt hold us over the PSD barrel, we got good compensation and to be frank, if he's not on board then it's best he goes.

GVGjr
15-10-2007, 02:11 PM
You are either with us or against us but I do wish the guys like McLean, Monty, Powell, Birss and Power all the best because they left for the right reasons.

Those ones that just left for just for more money etc it really just lowers my opinion of them but I certainly don't wish them any harm. Players like Brad Murphy that wasted their talent are the hard ones to just let go through to the keeper.

Footy is a bit like a revolving door and once a player is moved on I generally don't waste my energy in bagging them. They played for the red, white and blue and thats more than what I have done.

Dry Rot
15-10-2007, 03:11 PM
Generally not - even McMahon left for reasons that didn't include money. Obviously wish players like Birss the best of luck.

However, there's just something about Nathan Brown......

aker39
15-10-2007, 03:16 PM
Generally not - even McMahon left for reasons that didn't include money. Obviously wish players like Birss the best of luck.

That's what he'd like you to believe.

Dry Rot
15-10-2007, 03:19 PM
That's what he'd like you to believe.

I just read about his press conference - he can go and get ****ed.

aker39
15-10-2007, 03:24 PM
I just read about his press conference - he can go and get ****ed.

I thought that may have changed your mind a little.

Dry Rot
15-10-2007, 03:42 PM
I thought that may have changed your mind a little.

Just a bit. ;)

The Tigers now have 3 Nathan Browns, two on the field and one in the coaching box.

LostDoggy
15-10-2007, 03:43 PM
I have a poster of the '07 playing list stuck up on my wall at work. There is a big black cross through McMahon's head now - so I guess I fall into the category of not wishing players going to other clubs all the best.

mjp
15-10-2007, 04:12 PM
I will always think fondly of the goal Jordan kicked against Adelaide at the MCG in 2006. No matter what he does and says from now on, that moment made me very happy! I will also always think fondly of Nathan Brown due to his supreme game over at Subi one year when WCE snatched the game from us after the siren.

I support those who are with us, and try not to get too upset about any who are against us. As someone who has left footy clubs for both money (I was trying to get a deposit for a house together and needed the cash) and for opportunity (emergency 13 times one year) I can kind of understand where players are coming from. Footy clubs change, then change again, then change some more.

It would be great if everyone could be like Turtle and show loyalty above and beyond all expectation during a spectacular career, but it doesn't always work out this way. I say appreciate them for what they can do, and when they have gone appreciate someone else!

Twodogs
15-10-2007, 04:26 PM
However, there's just something about Nathan Brown......

Just waiting for the picture with Browneye's head photoshopped onto Cameron Diaz's body to appear now.

Coon Dog, over to you son...

The Underdog
15-10-2007, 04:30 PM
Just waiting for the picture with Browneye's head photoshopped onto Cameron Diaz's body to appear now.

Coon Dog, over to you son...

As long as the dimensions are a little better than your Hudson avatar. He looks like he's only 6'10" because his head's 2 foot tall:D
(sorry just joking, plus we already know Brown's head is massive)

The Coon Dog
15-10-2007, 04:31 PM
As long as the dimensions are a little better than your Hudson avatar. He looks like he's only 6'10" because his head's 2 foot tall:D
(sorry just joking, plus we already know Brown's head is massive)
It's meant to look like one of those bobble dolls with an enlarged head.

The Underdog
15-10-2007, 04:33 PM
It's meant to look like one of those bobble dolls with an enlarged head.

Then mission accomplished.
I think Rd 1 next year should be Ben Hudson bobblehead day. Like they have at the baseball. Free Ben Hudson bobblehead's to the first 5000 people through the gates

LostDoggy
15-10-2007, 06:02 PM
Do I wish our leaving players luck?
If its their choice, OF COURSE NOT.
And if their going to Richmond, then PFFFT, MORE THE REASON NOT TO.

Jordy dissapointed me.

LostDoggy
15-10-2007, 06:23 PM
It depends on how they leave, Birss? Love the guy, I wish him all the best, he's probably my favourite ex-Bulldog. Nathan Brown? Well, I remember watching the game where he broke his leg, and I'd got caught up doing something and wasn't watching when it actually happened, and when the commentators were going on about Nathan Brown injured and it was out of screen I was yelling 'PLEASE BE THE RICHMOND ONE, PLEASE BE THE RICHMOND ONE' because it was against Melbourne, and then when I saw him I was so happy, and then I saw his leg, and felt sick...I wouldn't inflict that upon anybody, but if it happened to happen to someone, I'm glad it was him. And then they kept replaying it and replaying it, he was brave, I'll give him that. But even still there's no-one in footy I hate more than him, he left for every reason I hate- money, big crowds and 'success'...and now Jordy's left in the same circumstances, so he can join the list, although for some reason it's not as bad as the Brown case.

LostDoggy
15-10-2007, 06:32 PM
Well it depends. If its a case of money- HELL NO. Even the low paid footy players are being paid very well, i dont see how they can complain, to tell the truth.
But if the players are moved along by the club, or there isnt room on the list or aren't getting a game very often, well sure, goodluck. Just as long as they dont
a.) have an absolute cracker against us, and,
b.) become better then what they were at our club.
that makes me tad angry because it makes me feel like the time and money spent on them at the Dogs was a waste!

But as for Nathan Brown.....i wont ever get over that, same with Terry Wallet. And Jordy's departure has left a sour taste in my mouth. Adelaide, i could understand. But RICHMOND?! Thats just ridiculous!

mjp
15-10-2007, 06:57 PM
Well it depends. If its a case of money- HELL NO. Even the low paid footy players are being paid very well, i dont see how they can complain, to tell the truth.

Depends what you consider 'well paid' I guess. Average career is still only 3 years long - if you think earning $50k or so a year is well paid (draft picks - it is worse for rookies) when in 3 years you will be out on the street with no real skills or mechanisms to earn another income...well, I would strongly disagree with you.

Once players do start earning a decent living, you have to consider this - if you were able to earn an extra $50k or $60k per year in your job to change employers would you do it? I have changed jobs for far less than that. When your earning lifespan is so short, you need to earn the best contract (within reason) that you can. Yes, loyalty comes into it, but you need to remember that clubs play on this to try and keep players that they have 'developed' less, whilst offering pots of gold to potential recruits.

Another common reason for players changing clubs is around length of contract, with many clubs offering only one or two year deals, and players holding out for two (or three depending on the circumstances). Again, I dont blame them for this, because if you go out of contract at the 'wrong' time then you are again out on the street...

To me, it is not players leaving because of money that worries me - it is those who refuse to admit that they have left because of the money! Just own up.

Mofra
15-10-2007, 07:41 PM
I don't really care in many cases.
I really wanted Shane Birss & Monty to do well.
I don't really hate Jordy for leaving, although I will still boo at the Tiges game because he seems mentally weak & it might give us an advantage.

As for Brown, to be honest I didn't like him at the Bulldogs (pr!ck of a bloke) but as a club we didn't support him either.

In his version, he increased his on field contribution and was rewarded with a reduced contract, despite winning AA.

In the clubs version, they had only enough money of keep a certain number of players, and keeping Murph was the priority (I agree with Murph being more improtant than Brown, but I digress). Browny had not done the full amount of off-field player contributions/appearances, so was always going to be the one let go if it came down to a choice.

Personally I think the club could have shuffled the cards a little better and made a higher offer to Brown, but at the same time if he was more involved in off-field activities the club would have been more willing to come to the party.

LostDoggy
15-10-2007, 07:52 PM
I had no malice towards Bruce Reid, Chris Burton, Michael McKenna, Brad Hardie, Darren Baxter and Leon Cameron. The fact that Hardie didn't go for money means I couldn't hate him. Didn't agree with Darren Baxter getting the flick -ditto for Leon Cameron.

I came from a different era from most of you here. When I was a child in 1976 ,blokes like Laurie Sandilands, Gary Dempsey, Bernie Quinlan, Ian Dunstan, Kelvin Templeton, Ray Huppatz, Ken Newland, Ian Low, Ian Morrison, Alan Stoneham, Peter Featherby, Richard Murrie, Dennis Collins and a few others that aren't mentioned were heroes- because they were older so you looked up to them. They played for my team, the club my old man and all his relatives had indoctrinated into me.

Of those above mentioned names- all left and went elsewhere- although Newland did return to his old club Geelong, then Ian Salmon went back to the bush (so he at least didn't play against us like all the other names)

It was hard as a child trying to make sense of why all these blokes would leave my club? I thought the Footscray Football Club was the greatest thing in the world. No adult ever gave me an answer that I considered satisfactory. As the 1978 season moved into full swing, I was left wondering why there was no Sandilands, Quinlan, Huppatz or Collins out there anymore?

Then at the end of 1978 our captain- just like our previous two captains (Thorpe and Sandilands) decided to move on to play in a Premiership team. This really shattered me- the great Gary Dempsey leaving for North Melbourne. This was probably the ultimate betrayal to the masses- this was a bigger stink than Nathan Brown moving to the Tigers.

I guess I learned to tolerate players moving on. I could never hate Templeton he was God. The great man's departure overshadowed Ian Dunstan's which was also a shame as Mocca was a fine player.

Moving along Edmond went for money, that was unfortunate, my old man knew him pretty well- so we couldn't hate him.

As for being bitter? I don't dislike Dempsey- these days I can somehow tolerate why these bloke left- Sandilands, Huppatz, Quinlan and Dempsey all frustrated with the club's infighting. Yet sadly I have to confess to a slight satisfaction that Dempsey never played in a Grand Final back in 1984 when he retired. Also I confess that Bernie Quinlan NOT kicking his 100th goal at the Western Oval in 1983 - we prevented him doing it that day and also beat Fitzroy- with the tv cameras in attendance to see both- also gave me a warm inner glow. It didn't matter as he kicked his 100th the following week at their then home(the Junction Oval) against Collingwood.

Nathan Brown- well he has made loads of money out of the Tigers- good luck to him for that despite collecting his 3rd wooden spoon. Can I hate him? No for the reason that I was became so accustomed to what he did when I was a child, so it was nothing new.

Maybe we don't recognise Whitten junior, Steve Power Geoff Jennings and Terry Wheeler from that era and applaud them as we should- for what they didn't do- which was NOT to leave.

GVGjr
15-10-2007, 08:01 PM
Terrific post Godwin.

I'll add Tony McGuinness as a player that I wished all the best to when he departed. I really rated him as a player and wanted him to stay but his reasons for leaving were fair enough.

DOG GOD
15-10-2007, 08:17 PM
Depends on the circumstances in which they left us.

I don't want to see Jordy succeed, likewise for Brown.

I was annoyed with Luke Penny when he buggered off to St.Kilda, same goes for Gary Dempsey, Jim Edmond & Kym Koster.

Others, I wasn't too upset, just as long as they didn't go too well against us. This includes, Monty, Shane Birss, Barry Round & Michael McKenna.

YEP!!! totally agree with your post coondog. I hope jordy joins brown for numerous wooden spoons and no finals success. Harsh but true to my feelings.

Sockeye Salmon
15-10-2007, 09:16 PM
I came from a different era from most of you here. When I was a child in 1976 ,blokes like Laurie Sandilands, Gary Dempsey, Bernie Quinlan, Ian Dunstan, Kelvin Templeton, Ray Huppatz, Ken Newland, Ian Low, Ian Morrison, Alan Stoneham, Peter Featherby, Richard Murrie, Dennis Collins and a few others that aren't mentioned were heroes- because they were older so you looked up to them. They played for my team, the club my old man and all his relatives had indoctrinated into me.

Low, Morrison & Murrie never went to other clubs, did they?

Didn't Peter Featherby go back to Perth before coming back the following year and joining Geelong? I know he was still tied to the Dogs because we traded him for a 17yo forward called Paul Hood. Hood was 6' 5", could run, jump, mark, kick - he had everything. He also broke his leg Jason Snell style in his first training run and never played again.

benny
15-10-2007, 09:24 PM
was happy jordan went dont need girls in our team

The Coon Dog
15-10-2007, 09:32 PM

Ian Low - 12 games for Collingwood in 1980.

Ian Morrison - 3 Games for Essendon in 1981.

Richard Murrie - 35 games for Geelong 1982-85 & 8 games for Richmond in 1983.

BulldogBelle
15-10-2007, 09:49 PM
Depends on who the players are and the circumstances - the only one that still bothers me is Nathan Brown probably because I was always a big fan of his - I saw him once walking along Chappel St ( this was a few weeks after he left us) and as I walked past I rolled my eyes and he said to his friend..."Bet she is a Bulldogs supporter"

Jordie and Sam I don't wish any bad towards - Sam was saddened to leave the Dogs and mentioned that whereas Jordie seems to have an axe to grind. At the end of the day they are gone we have new guys coming in and hopefully a lot to look forward to.

The Underdog
15-10-2007, 10:05 PM
Life's too short. Am I disappointed? Hell yeah, but I've got nothing but hope riding on this, whereas Jordan makes his living and has to protect that. I hope he has a shocker against us next year though. Sam, well good luck to him. he was only going to be a fringe player and hopefully he gets a few games for the Roos next year.

LostDoggy
15-10-2007, 10:16 PM

Didn't Peter Featherby go back to Perth before coming back the following year and joining Geelong?
I was very young at the time but was told Fetherby wentback to WA saying he didn't like Goggin then goes to Geelong with Goggin?

bornadog
15-10-2007, 11:54 PM
Footy, its such an emotional thing and effects our lives so much. Some interesting posts and TCD, love that Browny Picture.:D

Go_Dogs
16-10-2007, 09:45 AM
Here you go...

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/4159/52664704ru1.jpg

Haha. Good effort.

Great post Godwin Fot. Great read.