PDA

View Full Version : Our Defence

Eastdog
28-09-2013, 08:45 PM
We have discussed a lot about our midfield which will be strong and our forward line that needs work but wanted to get people's thoughts on our defence. Morris and Murphy are coming towards the end of their careers now and was thinking who is going to potentially replace them.

Scorlibo
28-09-2013, 08:53 PM
I like Easton Wood as a long-term defender. I would like to see his attention narrowed to be more defensive because he has some serious athletic prowess.

JJ will hopefully fulfil a rebounding role next year. Talia and Austin to battle it out for the second key defensive post.

westdog54
28-09-2013, 10:44 PM
I like Easton Wood as a long-term defender. I would like to see his attention narrowed to be more defensive because he has some serious athletic prowess.

JJ will hopefully fulfil a rebounding role next year. Talia and Austin to battle it out for the second key defensive post.

Talia's disposal is questionable but I think he makes the most of it through sound decision making, and any tall defender who can find the ball as often as he seems to has to be of value.

I think that defensively we seem to have a fairly good young group. Its worth remembering that JJ has missed most of the second half of the year, and Wood was barely sighted. I'd love to see Wood improve as a 1 on 1 defender.

Mofra
29-09-2013, 04:14 PM
Talia's disposal is questionable but I think he makes the most of it through sound decision making, and any tall defender who can find the ball as often as he seems to has to be of value.
Morris isn't the greatest kick either, however he takes safe options and generally does ok, seems the prototype for Talia to follow.

Would love another serious rebounding defender; Goodes has a couple of years as a stop-gap, Murphy is 1-2 years away, JJ is young and Wood doesn't get enough of the ball.

If we pick a Scharenberg type I guess he'd start off on the HBF, then we have to replace him in a couple of years' time as well when he transitions to the midfield.