PDA

View Full Version : Gordon reaffirms push for equality

Eastdog
02-10-2013, 09:38 PM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2013-10-02/gordon-reaffirms-push-for-equality

Western Bulldogs President Peter Gordon says until the league’s revenue stream is equalised across the 18 clubs, the competition would remain unbalanced.

"What we need in this competition is 18 clubs that all have an equal salary cap to build to and an equal capacity to pay it," Gordon told AFL.com.au’s Gillette Trade Radio.

"Once every club is in a position to do that, not just for one year, but then two and three and four, then you'll see the sort of competition not only for players like [Lance] Franklin, but for other players in the competition.

"It'll be good for the players, good for the competition and good for the fans.

"The ability to hope, legitimately, on reasonable grounds, that they might make the last two weeks in September sometime in the near future."

Gordon joined a number of other powerbrokers in questioning the Sydney Swans' 9.8 per cent cost of living allowance.

He said the AFL should be aiming to pay players an amount that makes the small difference in living expenses largely irrelevant.

"Give us an equal capacity to compete in terms of revenue and in terms of the salary cap, and you'll see teams like the Bulldogs and like St Kilda pulling off free agency trades that will be exciting for the supporters, exciting for the competition, and create the level of uncertainty and the 'any given Sunday’ principle that everyone wants," Gordon said.

LostDoggy
04-10-2013, 07:03 PM
Here Here Peter you tell them

jeemak
04-10-2013, 08:58 PM
I loved the zeitgeist on Facebook this week, which saw from Hawthorn fans, and supporters of other powerful Melbourne clubs indignation towards the lack of equality within the AFL based on Sydney's ability to gain advantage via the COLA.

Not many positive comments came my way when I congratulated them on their new found altruism in the quest for equality within the AFL, and their ongoing willingness to support equal revenue distribution, an equal draw and equality in commercial spoils generated by FTA coverage in prime time.

Hypocrites.

Remi Moses
04-10-2013, 09:51 PM
The hypocrisy of teams like Carlton is breathtaking.

Happy Days
04-10-2013, 10:13 PM
I loved the zeitgeist on Facebook this week, which saw from Hawthorn fans, and supporters of other powerful Melbourne clubs indignation towards the lack of equality within the AFL based on Sydney's ability to gain advantage via the COLA.

Not many positive comments came my way when I congratulated them on their new found altruism in the quest for equality within the AFL, and their ongoing willingness to support equal revenue distribution, an equal draw and equality in commercial spoils generated by FTA coverage in prime time.

Hypocrites.

There is far too much "society" on Facebook

jeemak
04-10-2013, 10:39 PM
There is far too much "society" on Facebook

Isn't society the pits.

Back on topic, whilst Demetriou has been very good to us as a club in some respects (a benevolence mainly spawned from his need to maximise revenue received from nine games a week) we'll be extremely exposed if he does in fact take up a role with the ATP.

The next TV rounds are not going to pay on a level of growth to make them adequately comparable to the last round Demetriou negotiated, which will bring us into the spotlight.

There's more to Peter Gordon's strategy of trying to equalise the competition sooner rather than later. He knows that whoever comes in next will have a different set of KPI's to achieve, and a different set of objectives to reach them.

Any strategy that involves rationalisation of the league to conserve costs will have us fairly and squarely in the firing line of another head honcho.

Mark it, Peter Gordon isn't doing this purely out of love for the club and the aim to see it achieve, he's doing it to ensure we'll survive.