PDA

View Full Version : West Footscray Train Station

Twodogs
04-10-2013, 01:54 PM
Most of us would know West Footscray train station. It also has signs calling it Whitten Oval station. As far as Footscray/WBFC is concerned it is almost iconic. It's the station closest to Whitten Oval and over the years hundreds of thousands supporters would have found their way to the footy ground via the station and the rail bridge.

A couple of days ago the footbridge was closed off to the public and the old station was closed down because a new station has been constructed about 200 metres down Cross Street. It's nice to have a new station and all that but it's a shame the old one went without much fanfare.

LostDoggy
04-10-2013, 02:02 PM
That's sad. I remember many a Saturday afternoon getting the train from Blackburn to Spencer Street, then the train out to West Footscray to go to the footy. Good memories. :)

Remi Moses
04-10-2013, 02:26 PM
Times are a changin'
Whole new suburb going up there, and I'm staggered by how much space is created when the old manufacturing buildings go down.
Walked past the drill hall a few weeks back, it's 100 years old next year!
It was built to stop the local "Rascles" from harrassing the kids training to go to war

bulldogtragic
04-10-2013, 02:39 PM
When my brother took me when we would play North there we would go by the train. Good times.
When it was my dad we would park in the pop up car parks because he knew heaps of locals.
When it was my nan we would hit the local streets with the 'no parking on match days' signs. Does the council still have them erected?

always right
04-10-2013, 03:04 PM
That's sad. I remember many a Saturday afternoon getting the train from Blackburn to Spencer Street, then the train out to West Footscray to go to the footy. Good memories. :)

Same....geez it was a long train ride home from West Footscray after a loss when I lived in Glen Waverley.

Remi Moses
04-10-2013, 03:10 PM
When my brother took me when we would play North there we would go by the train. Good times.
When it was my dad we would park in the pop up car parks because he knew heaps of locals.
When it was my nan we would hit the local streets with the 'no parking on match days' signs. Does the council still have them erected?

The council put up Parking permit signs all over the local area back in 95 96 when Fitzroy played there.

bulldogtragic
04-10-2013, 03:16 PM
The council put up Parking permit signs all over the local area back in 95 96 when Fitzroy played there.
Then they should bring them back for the VFL!

KT31
04-10-2013, 03:35 PM

I have one of them hanging in my shed, obtained legitimately of course.

ReLoad
04-10-2013, 07:15 PM
The poor old station is but a shadow of its big brother down the road, for one reason ; Olympic Donuts.

Remi Moses
04-10-2013, 07:28 PM
The poor old station is but a shadow of its big brother down the road, for one reason ; Olympic Donuts.

I'm salivating thinking of those freshly made donuts
Great nastolgia

Eastdog
04-10-2013, 07:54 PM
Same....geez it was a long train ride home from West Footscray after a loss when I lived in Glen Waverley.

Would have been great after a win AR going back home to Glen Waverley from the Whitten Oval.

Twodogs
04-10-2013, 11:57 PM

It was an even longer train(and bus) ride homefrom Waverley to Footscray after a loss at VFL park. As an aside does anyone else remember the state of the VFL park car park on the day of the '92 final against St Kilda? I remember it being ankle deep in mud mostly. Is that right? Was it particularly muddy that day?

BornInDroopSt'54
05-10-2013, 01:00 PM
I have one of them hanging in my shed, obtained legitimately of course.

Do people try to park in your shed?
I have had recurring dreams/nightmares about West Footscray station that bear little relationship to reality. I will be there as part of my connection to the place but am confronted by a violent small gang.

ReLoad
05-10-2013, 01:03 PM
It was an even longer train(and bus) ride homefrom Waverley to Footscray after a loss at VFL park. As an aside does anyone else remember the state of the VFL park car park on the day of the '92 final against St Kilda? I remember it being ankle deep in mud mostly. Is that right? Was it particularly muddy that day?

Luckily I was too drunk to remember the weather that day and as it happened also where I parked the car. So had to sleep it off for a few hours then stagger around in the dark to try find it. turned out my car was only some 50 meters away from where I had a kip.

Spent the night in the car at "Chataux de Waverley" as it became known.

Life was simple back then :)

SonofScray
05-10-2013, 01:08 PM
The Regional Rail Link works that are happening all along the line there have been interesting, if a little frustrating to watch. Mostly though I think they'll be a benefit to people in the area, improved parking for commuters, safer pedestrian facilities etc. Particularly at Sunshine.

I'd say West Footscray station will come in handy for parking etc when we have VFL games back at WO.

Twodogs
05-10-2013, 01:42 PM
Do people try to park in your shed?

KT31 and his family probably do. :D

Twodogs
05-10-2013, 01:44 PM
Luckily I was too drunk to remember the weather that day and as it happened also where I parked the car. So had to sleep it off for a few hours then stagger around in the dark to try find it. turned out my car was only some 50 meters away from where I had a kip.

Spent the night in the car at "Chataux de Waverley" as it became known.

Life was simple back then :)

I wasn't drunk but we might have smoked a funny cigarette in the car when we got there. That's why I'm not 100% sure it was muddy or if my legs weren't working properly.

Yes. Life was much simpler back then!

F'scary
05-10-2013, 02:33 PM
I got off at West Footscray station quite a number of times to go the Footscray match. When I was old enough I detoured to the Rising Sun Hotel for a pre match starter beer.

Remi Moses
05-10-2013, 10:13 PM
The Rising star has been turned into apartments.
The Buck has been turned into apartments.
The Albert has been turned into apartments.

ledge
06-10-2013, 10:03 AM
The Rising star has been turned into apartments.
The Buck has been turned into apartments.
The Albert has been turned into apartments.

But the braybrook and Ashley are still going strong :-)

BornInDroopSt'54
06-10-2013, 11:46 AM
I wasn't drunk but we might have smoked a funny cigarette in the car when we got there. That's why I'm not 100% sure it was muddy or if my legs weren't working properly.

Yes. Life was much simpler back then!

I will spend the rest of my life looking for situations that I can say what you said. I'm even thinking my epitath. :p

Pembleton
07-10-2013, 10:58 AM

My first final and i remember it well. The carpark was sodden and if you didn't take care you could easily have found yourself ankle deep. I distinctly remember running through the rain in the carpark after the game whilst shielding myself with one of the "Go Dogs" signs that had been handed out. I think i kept the sign and still have it somewhere.

Remi Moses
07-10-2013, 01:50 PM

Thankfully some things don't change thankfully .
Remember the yearly Dale Lewis is coming to the dogs( because his parents owned the Albert)

azabob
07-10-2013, 07:15 PM
Thankfully some things don't change thankfully .
Remember the yearly Dale Lewis is coming to the dogs( because his parents owned the Albert)

Ah, that's why he was always linked to us then.

strebla
08-10-2013, 11:08 AM

Too many poker machines Ledge now it's just the plough within walking distance and I haven't been there for 20 years .

Twodogs
08-10-2013, 12:14 PM
Too many poker machines Ledge now it's just the plough within walking distance and I haven't been there for 20 years .

Me either. I wonder if it's any good?

When I want a decent cheap counter meal these days I go to Lentil As Anything and pretend to myself that it's still The Barkly

strebla
08-10-2013, 12:50 PM

When I want a decent cheap counter meal these days I go to Lentil As Anything and pretend to myself that it's still The Barkly

LMAO I suppose hearts could still be within waling distance options are thin if you eating lentils though .

SonofScray
09-10-2013, 09:29 AM

The Plough is top notch these days, they've tried to go the way of the Station Hotel but not quite 'gastro-pub' quality. Inside is really swish, food is very good, lots of craft beers available etc. Went there a few months ago and was pretty impressed (even though the old Buck was more my type of pub.)

Twodogs
09-10-2013, 10:58 AM
What are the meal prices like SOS?

SonofScray
10-10-2013, 02:17 PM
What are the meal prices like SOS?

Looking at approx a $25 mains, $15 entrees and the like. Decent value.

Ozza
10-10-2013, 03:25 PM
Looking at approx a $25 mains, $15 entrees and the like. Decent value.

Yeah the plough is good now. Good menu.

As for West Footscray station....it used to be a 90 second walk for me from front door to platform, and probably 2 minutes from home to the footy ground. Now they've moved the station and taken down the footbridge, it takes about 10 minutes! (albeit getting around roadworks!). Starting to look good though - just too far from the ground!

LostDoggy
11-10-2013, 09:22 AM

Just pokie dens. Shame.

Where_only_dogs_tread
12-10-2013, 12:08 AM
The Plough is top notch these days, they've tried to go the way of the Station Hotel but not quite 'gastro-pub' quality. Inside is really swish, food is very good, lots of craft beers available etc. Went there a few months ago and was pretty impressed (even though the old Buck was more my type of pub.)

I'm not much of a fan of what they've done with The Plough, since they renovated it, it's become too much of a swanky bistro (at least by Footscray standards) and only really a shell of the pub it once was.

Remi Moses
12-10-2013, 12:19 AM

Went to the Station a year ago( nice meal with a full house)
Booked weeks in advance :eek:
Emphasised the lack of decent pubs in the area
Haven't been to the plough for a while ( it's always under new management or being refurbished) Got rid of the clown on Saturday nights ( keeps the kids amused, while the parents gas bagged)

BornInDroopSt'54
12-10-2013, 11:45 AM
Why don't you lucky Footscray dwellers go to the ethnic restaurants, African, Vietnamese, Indian etc? It must be better and cheaper than nuvo pub quisine.

Twodogs
12-10-2013, 04:12 PM
Why don't you lucky Footscray dwellers go to the ethnic restaurants, African, Vietnamese, Indian etc? It must be better and cheaper than nuvo pub quisine.

I do. I bemoan the loss of a decent counter meal alternative though.

strebla
12-10-2013, 05:29 PM
I do. I bemoan the loss of a decent counter meal alternative though.

You can still get great pub meals in Willi though Twodogs worth the drive from home base in Werribee for me.

Eastdog
12-10-2013, 05:39 PM
You can still get great pub meals in Willi though Twodogs worth the drive from home base in Werribee for me.

I dont live in the area but what are your thoughts strebla on the new suburb planned next to Werribee. Could be a great opportunity for our club to take advantage there and try and increase our support hopefully with the success.

Twodogs
12-10-2013, 05:43 PM
I dont live in the area but what are your thoughts strebla on the new suburb planned next to Werribee. Could be a great opportunity for our club to take advantage there and try and increase our support hopefully with the success.

Most of Footscray and West Footscray are building sites ATM too. If a tenth of the people who move here buy memberships we'll have 100 000 members.

Eastdog
12-10-2013, 05:47 PM
Most of Footscray and West Footscray are building sites ATM too. If a tenth of the people who move here buy memberships we'll have 100 000 members.

From what you see in your area Twodogs do you see lots of Dogs fans around or more from other clubs.

Twodogs
12-10-2013, 10:19 PM
From what you see in your area Twodogs do you see lots of Dogs fans around or more from other clubs.

I only live 200 metres from the Whitten Oval. Pretty much everybody around here is a bulldog supporter.

The weird place is Essendon. I drive through Essendon 4 times a day for work purposes and I see so many cars with Bulldog member stickers on their rear Windows.

KT31
12-10-2013, 10:26 PM
I only live 200 metres from the Whitten Oval. Pretty much everybody around here is a bulldog supporter.

The weird place is Essendon. I drive through Essendon 4 times a day for work purposes and I see so many cars with Bulldog member stickers on their rear Windows.

My sister in law used to work at a child care in the heart of the Don's territory and they ran a charity night.
The Don's told them to GF and the Dogs sent them heaps to auction.
Hope its a result.

LostDoggy
12-10-2013, 10:56 PM
My sister in law works used to work at a child care in the heart of the Don's territory and they ran a charity night.
The Don's told them to GF and the Dogs sent them heaps to auction.
Hope its a result.

As an avid Essendon hater I love this post.

Daughter of the West
14-10-2013, 11:02 AM

There are quite a few of us around, infiltrating from the inside! There's a guy who attends the gym at Windy Hill with his bulldogs training top on most mornings, top bloke :D (although I don't know him personally)!

Eastdog
14-10-2013, 08:59 PM
There are quite a few of us around, infiltrating from the inside! There's a guy who attends the gym at Windy Hill with his bulldogs training top on most mornings, top bloke :D (although I don't know him personally)!

Good to hear we have a bit of presence in the Northern suburbs.

Eastdog
19-10-2013, 04:09 PM

That's not surprising obviously in Footscray and surrounds because that's where we are based but the Essendon area is probably not surprising either in that we have supporters there as its close to where our team is. Obviously Essendon would be the most supported around there.

Eastdog
09-02-2015, 10:32 PM
With West Footscray station itself now is it just one island with 2 platforms one going towards Sunbury and one to the city. I also noticed looking at google maps that there are two tracks on either side.

Twodogs
09-02-2015, 10:45 PM
Those are for freight trains and interstate commuter trains. Country trains use them but not there.

Eastdog
09-02-2015, 10:50 PM
Those are for freight trains and interstate commuter trains. Country trains use them but not there.

I see. So one of the tracks is for the main train and the other for like vline and freight etc.

Twodogs
09-02-2015, 11:42 PM
I see. So one of the tracks is for the main train and the other for like vline and freight etc.

The middle two tracks are for suburban and country trains and the outer two tracks are for interstate and freight trains. One side coming into the city, the other side is for trains going away from the city.

Eastdog
10-02-2015, 08:16 PM
The middle two tracks are for suburban and country trains and the outer two tracks are for interstate and freight trains. One side coming into the city, the other side is for trains going away from the city.

Ok cool thanks for that Twodogs. Looking from google maps from Cross St West Footscray station is right there you I'm pretty sure walk the footbridge to get to the station.

Twodogs
10-02-2015, 08:35 PM
Ok cool thanks for that Twodogs. Looking from google maps from Cross St West Footscray station is right there you I'm pretty sure walk the footbridge to get to the station.

I checked on Google Maps last night and they still have the old station on the overhead. The station was pulled down and moved about 200 metres up the road about a year or so ago. The new station is much bigger and longer. They had to move it because the track had to be straightened for the Very Fast Train exactly where it was.'

bornadog
11-02-2015, 12:10 AM
You need to get on the train and get out there and visit the club.

Eastdog
11-02-2015, 12:22 AM
You need to get on the train and get out there and visit the club.

Yep that's what I intend to do soon BAD.

Remi Moses
11-02-2015, 03:16 AM

Just out of interest didn't they build tracks specifically for Freight trains recently through Footscray station?
West Footscray station doesn't look quite like it once did .

Twodogs
11-02-2015, 08:08 AM
Just out of interest didn't they build tracks specifically for Freight trains recently through Footscray station?

Something to do with the speed interstate/freight trains have to acheive while they go through that bit to make it through the next bit of track. Apparently they can't go that speed on the normal tracks.

The Underdog
11-02-2015, 08:53 AM
It was funny going to the VFL last year. Despite the station moving, I realised that I hadn't gotten the train there since I used to go to the footy with my grandfather (dead about 10 years now) about 20 odd years ago. Triggered some very strong memories and was actually quite emotional.

Remi Moses
12-02-2015, 03:24 AM
I guess the nostalgia of it gets everyone . I know personally I find myself daydreaming of the past .

westdog54
12-02-2015, 11:41 AM

Something to do with the speed interstate/freight trains have to acheive while they go through that bit to make it through the next bit of track. Apparently they can't go that speed on the normal tracks.

The new tracks at Footscray are the new Regional Rail Link. Ballarat and Bendigo trains already run on there and once the new link between Little River and Caroline Springs is up and running Geelong trains will also. It was to get V/Line trains off the Metro lines.

bornadog
12-02-2015, 11:48 AM
It was funny going to the VFL last year. Despite the station moving, I realised that I hadn't gotten the train there since I used to go to the footy with my grandfather (dead about 10 years now) about 20 odd years ago. Triggered some very strong memories and was actually quite emotional.

I took the train to the VFL final last year as well and that was the first time I had been to the station for a very long time, probably like you over 20 years. Like you I had a strange feeling about it, as it seemed normal like nothing had changed, even though the station was so new, the memories of walking over that old bridge flooded back.

I particularly remember trying to get over the bridge after a game when it was jam packed. It was a bad feeling when you were a kid being squashed up against all the adults, but magically when you got to the peak of the bridge, the crowd seemed to disperse quickly.

westdog54
12-02-2015, 03:00 PM
The new footbridge has longer, less steep ramps running down to the platform and the street.

Twodogs
12-02-2015, 04:02 PM
The new footbridge has longer, less steep ramps running down to the platform and the street.

And has one of the VFA premiership photos enlarged on the wall. 1913 I think. It faces the the entrance exit to the ramp.

Eastdog
12-02-2015, 05:02 PM
West Footscray Station

Platform 1: if you want to go towards the city (Flinders St)

Platform 2: if you want to go further west

Twodogs
12-02-2015, 06:28 PM
West Footscray Station

Platform 1: if you want to go towards the city (Flinders St)

Platform 2: if you want to go further west

That's correct Easty. From your place half an hour, maybe 40 minutes.

Eastdog
12-02-2015, 07:06 PM
That's correct Easty. From your place half an hour, maybe 40 minutes.

Id say according to journey planner that's probably about right.

cinder
23-02-2015, 10:17 PM
Could someone please confirm (I did read through the last 2 pages of the thread but still not sure) - what train station is closest to Whitten Oval? I'm not much of a PT user but plan to go by train on the weekend. THANK YOU!

Twodogs
23-02-2015, 10:20 PM
West Footscray on the Sunbury or Watergardens line. It's a two minute walk to the ground.

cinder
23-02-2015, 10:38 PM
Thank you. For some reason I thought Sunbury was the Watergardens line. Back in my day it was Sydenham & Sunbury was still VLine!

LostDoggy
23-02-2015, 11:12 PM
Sunbury has been electrified for a year or two now.

Eastdog
13-03-2018, 11:18 PM
Been through West Footscray Station the new one a number of times now. Looks quite good. WO right on the doorstep. Reading back through this thread would have been cool to experience the old West Footscray station.

Twodogs
13-03-2018, 11:44 PM
Been through West Footscray Station the new one a number of times now. Looks quite good. WO right on the doorstep. Reading back through this thread would have been cool to experience the old West Footscray station.

My first ever proper job was in St Albans and I caught the train at the old West Footscray station everyday for two years. The thrill soon wore off.

Eastdog
13-03-2018, 11:48 PM
My first ever proper job was in St Albans and I caught the train at the old West Footscray station everyday for two years. The thrill soon wore off.

Yeah not surprising. Something you use everyday doesn't feel as special as much.

It's like going to the same holiday destination each year. The excitement goes.

Twodogs
14-03-2018, 12:37 AM
Yeah not surprising. Something you use everyday doesn't feel as special as much.

It's like going to the same holiday destination each year. The excitement goes.

That new Starship Enterprise type station they have there now is a lot more user friendly than the old West Footscray station. It's a bit sad with the old railway passenger bridge gone thoug-that used to be the first sight of the ground. As you came up over the top of the bridge the ground sort of opened up in front of you.

On the day of the fightback rally in 1989 as I got closer to the ground I could hear Steve MacPherson singing American Pie and for some reason I assumed that only 2 men and a dog had turned up and Super was desperately trying to keep them interested. Anyway I get to the top of the bridge and I see that the crowd is huge and somehow Steve Macpherson playing guitar and singing American Pie was exactly what needed to be happening because he had the crowd in the palm of his hand. He had spirit in him did Steve MacPherson, it's a shame that Darcymac ended up at the Suns. Although if we took him we wouldn't have ended up with Caleb Daniel and my sentimentality would have cost us a flag.:o

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
14-03-2018, 04:36 PM
During the 2016 final series the station played our theme song constantly

bornadog
14-03-2018, 04:40 PM
Isn't it a shame we have morons in society that feel they have to graffitti public (and private) buildings. This is not confined to West Footscray station but all the new stations in Melbourne.

Mofra
14-03-2018, 04:43 PM
As a kid we used to park on Robbs Rd so on busy gamedays we'd skip the station overpass and cut through the railway tracks.
On rare occasions we copped a fair old fright when the freight train started moving.

Twodogs
14-03-2018, 05:09 PM
As a kid we used to park on Robbs Rd so on busy gamedays we'd skip the station overpass and cut through the railway tracks.
On rare occasions we copped a fair old fright when the freight train started moving.

Yeah you would. It get the blood flowing on a winter afternoon.

Must be something about West Footscray. Years ago plainsclothed RAILWAY DETECTIVE pulled a gun on me and a friend of mine (we were teenagers, wilful and rude teenagers maybe, but teenagers none the less. His partner didn't like the way things were shaping up and took the old bastard down himself!

One of the funniest things I've seen. One second we were staring down the barrel of a pistol (his partner later told us he didn't know he was carrying a gun-I think he'd taken it upon himself to tool up) then the next second this bloke comes flying through the air and takes him out with a Rugby tackle. God knows how the pistol didn't discharge, maybe it wasn't loaded?

Eastdog
15-03-2018, 02:56 PM
During the 2016 final series the station played our theme song constantly

When I took the train from Flinders Street to West Footscray for the GF training session the train driver a Doggies supporter I would think said "Go Doggies!" when we came up to the Whitten Oval. Was just great. The train was packed for the training session and the GF party on the Sunday after we won.

I also recall at Flinders street on the Sunday the person via the station speaker saying "for those heading to the Whitten Oval take the next train" :)

Twodogs
15-03-2018, 04:44 PM
God that Sunday at Whitten oval after the Grand Final was a wild day. That noise when the boys turned up with the cup was primal.

Eastdog
15-03-2018, 04:49 PM
God that Sunday at Whitten oval after the Grand Final was a wild day. That noise when the boys turned up with the cup was primal.

It was amazing!

Would have to be the biggest crowd ever at the Whitten Oval - 30,000 people and woofers who went there can say I was one of them including myself.

Heaps of happy people I recall on the train in talking about the day before.

Twodogs
15-03-2018, 04:53 PM
Would have to be the biggest crowd ever at the Whitten Oval - 30,000 people and woofers who went there can say I was one of them including myself.

Heaps of happy people I recall on the train in talking about the day before.

The only other time I've seen a crowd close to tgat big was on the day of the Fightback rally

Eastdog
15-03-2018, 04:57 PM
The only other time I've seen a crowd close to tgat big was on the day of the Fightback rally

How many do you reckon if you can remember back was there was at the fightback rally?

bornadog
15-03-2018, 05:20 PM
How many do you reckon if you can remember back was there was at the fightback rally?

The highest attendance at Western Oval as it was then, is 42,354 in 1955 against the Pies

Fightback rally there was about 20,000 plus

Eastdog
15-03-2018, 06:24 PM
The highest attendance at Western Oval as it was then, is 42,354 in 1955 against the Pies

Yes that's right 42K in 1955 at Western Oval but in my time the 30K at the premiership fan day the highest I have ever experienced.

20K for the fightback - a great turnout in support of a vital campaign to save our club.

Twodogs
15-03-2018, 08:15 PM

I thought it was more.

Eastdog
15-03-2018, 08:33 PM
West Footscray Station History

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Footscray_railway_station

The bulldog tragician
15-03-2018, 10:14 PM
I thought it was more.

It felt like more. Maybe it was the spirit of all the generations before us joining us in outrage and determination, but the chant of FOOTSCRAY that went up that day was spine tingling.

Eastdog
16-03-2018, 03:05 PM
It felt like more. Maybe it was the spirit of all the generations before us joining us in outrage and determination, but the chant of FOOTSCRAY that went up that day was spine tingling.

Such an important part of our history was a low point for the club then high as we fought and saved our club and thanks to the many involved in that so we do have a club to support today.