PDA

View Full Version : Kepler Bradley?

Mofra
15-10-2007, 10:01 PM
Delisted by Essendon.

Constantly played out of position, never had a chance at a forward spot there, won the Bendigo Bombers VFL B&F.

We have 7 spots on the list in a supposedly shallow draft.

Would he be worth a try? He can't be worse than the other fringe talls who were given an opportunity & didn't make it, and with 6 other youngsters to be drafted & 3 rookies, it isn't really eating into the development of anyone else.

Thoughts?

The Coon Dog
15-10-2007, 10:05 PM
Delisted by Essendon.

Constantly played out of position, never had a chance at a forward spot there, won the Bendigo Bombers VFL B&F.

We have 7 spots on the list in a supposedly shallow draft.

Would he be worth a try? He can't be worse than the other fringe talls who were given an opportunity & didn't make it, and with 6 other youngsters to be drafted & 3 rookies, it isn't really eating into the development of anyone else.

Thoughts?

I don't think he'll be around come PSD. I reckon Fremantle would look at a latish pick for him.

GVGjr
15-10-2007, 10:09 PM
I don't think he'll be around come PSD. I reckon Fremantle would look at a latish pick for him.

I asked this on BF but wouldn't he only be available in the PSD?

What position would he be of value to us?
I don't mind this idea if the likes of Brennan have already been selected ahead of our pick but does Bradley have a natural position and if so do we need additional coverage?

My guess is that we could have traded for him but didn't bother. Not sure what has changed to alter our thoughts.

The Underdog
15-10-2007, 10:14 PM
I asked this on BF but wouldn't he only be available in the PSD?

What position would he be of value to us?
I don't mind this idea if the likes of Brennan have already been selected ahead of our pick but does Bradley have a natural position and if so do we need additional coverage?

My guess is that we could have traded for him but didn't bother. Not sure what has changed to alter our thoughts.

Apparently he could have been got for a reasonably latish pick (40ish).
I'm just not sure what his position is. He doesn't seem to be a ruckman and can't seem to hold down a KP. He might be worth a spot as we have a few spots available this year, but I'm not going to be crying if we don't pick him up. Also think that he is pretty keen to go back to WA.
I'm pretty sure he's only allowed to go into the PSD.

GVGjr
15-10-2007, 10:16 PM
Apparently he sould have been got for a reasonably latish pick (40ish).
I'm just not sure what his position is. He doesn't seem to be a ruckman and can't seem to hold down a KP. He might be worth a spot as we have a few spots available this year, but I'm not going to be crying if we don't pick him up. Also think that he is pretty keen to go back to WA.

FWIW, I think he has played his best footy at the senior level as a CHB but we seem to have that covered. We can try him as a forward but I think he needs as least one quality tall around him if he was to succeed.

Dry Rot
15-10-2007, 11:03 PM
So another part of the Rawlings deal falls over....

Sockeye Salmon
16-10-2007, 12:54 AM
Apparently he sould have been got for a reasonably latish pick (40ish).

Nope. Anyone delisted by their club can nominate for the national draft.

Only those players out of contract but whose club wishes to retain them must go straight to the PSD (eg. Brennan).

Go_Dogs
16-10-2007, 09:48 AM
Nope. Anyone delisted by their club can nominate for the national draft.

Only those players out of contract but whose club wishes to retain them must go straight to the PSD (eg. Brennan).

I'd most likely pass, but would I be correct in saying the reason he never got much of a shot up forward is because of Lloyd/Lucas? Personally I think we just about have enough tall timber on our list at the moment, if we chase someone in the PSD, I'm starting to suspect it could be a runner.

Twodogs
16-10-2007, 11:24 AM
So another part of the Rawlings deal falls over....

I've been telling anyone who would listen that all the players involved in that trade are cursed. I cant be bothered listing them all and the disastars that have befallen them so you'll just have to take my word for it.

Go_Dogs
16-10-2007, 11:33 AM
I've been telling anyone who would listen that all the players involved in that trade are cursed. I cant be bothered listing them all and the disastars that have befallen them so you'll just have to take my word for it.

Luckily for you, Templeton31 just did at BF.

You are indeed. My memory says anything associated with that deal has gone bad:
- Lochy Veale delisted the next year
- Bradley picked with 6 looks like getting delisted
- Rawlings. ahem.
- Alvey hardly played a game for Essendon and delisted
- Brown broken leg (we got pick 6 from Richmond for Brown)
- Jacobs is the only one who maybe ok although I havent kept track of him. I know he's certainly had hamstring problems.

Dry Rot
16-10-2007, 11:42 AM
What happened to Jacobs?

Twodogs
16-10-2007, 11:46 AM
What happened to Jacobs?

Got caught drink driving

Dry Rot
16-10-2007, 11:52 AM
Is he still playing?

Twodogs
16-10-2007, 11:58 AM
Is he still playing?

Yep but his career has been all but ruined by chronic soft tissue injuries.

juffa23
16-10-2007, 02:57 PM
I am another of the harsh critics of Kepler Bradley, but he has now been delisted, was a Top 10 pick only 4 years ago, and at the right age to show improvement for a player his size.

Due to being delisted he should come quite cheap and I can't really see a bunch of talls ahead of him in the queue to fill our forward 50.

Bulldog Revolution
16-10-2007, 05:16 PM
I am another of the harsh critics of Kepler Bradley, but he has now been delisted, was a Top 10 pick only 4 years ago, and at the right age to show improvement for a player his size.

Due to being delisted he should come quite cheap and I can't really see a bunch of talls ahead of him in the queue to fill our forward 50.

There is some sense if what you say Juffa, but Eade has preferred to fill our forward 50 with midgets than with tall guys who he does not think are up to it

I think Bradley is destined to end up back in WA, and its probably the reason Essendon delisted him

dog town
16-10-2007, 06:42 PM
What I dont understand is that after the trade period Knights said they wanted a second round pick for Bradley but Freo were only prepared to give up a third round pick. So he has turned down a third round pick and then delisted a guy he claimed was worth a second round pick? I cannot comprehend this.

FWIW I have heard both Gary Ayres and Matty Knights say that his best position is as a lead up forward.

The Doctor
16-10-2007, 10:59 PM
Essendon have just shown how stupid they are by their failure to make a deal.

Bradley has copped a lot of derision since he started out and a lot of it unfairly. I have long held the view he was constantly played out of position with the Bombers. He is as much a centre half back as Doris Day.

It's arguable as to whether he is more suited to the forward line. He would have the abilty to pinch a goal or two as his height would place him at an advantage at times, but I doubt he would ever become a go to man. He doesn't have a lot of burst speed to get a break on his opponent. He tends to lope. Nor does he have bustling strength.

I think he is best suited to the role of a follower as he is an excellent reader of the play. He will lope around the field forever linking up and picking up plenty of the ball. He is a creative player and can set up play or distribute with accuracy around the ground. So to me a 2nd ruck type option would be his go. He would be good at running off his opponent and tiring them out. Then having a run up forward as a third tall.

I would go for him in the draft.

Dry Rot
16-10-2007, 11:35 PM
Looks like he'll be going through the national Draft and he wants to be a Docker, so I suppose we'd have to use our fourth pick to get him.

FrediKanoute
17-10-2007, 01:55 AM
Essendon have just shown how stupid they are by their failure to make a deal.

Bradley has copped a lot of derision since he started out and a lot of it unfairly. I have long held the view he was constantly played out of position with the Bombers. He is as much a centre half back as Doris Day.

It's arguable as to whether he is more suited to the forward line. He would have the abilty to pinch a goal or two as his height would place him at an advantage at times, but I doubt he would ever become a go to man. He doesn't have a lot of burst speed to get a break on his opponent. He tends to lope. Nor does he have bustling strength.

I think he is best suited to the role of a follower as he is an excellent reader of the play. He will lope around the field forever linking up and picking up plenty of the ball. He is a creative player and can set up play or distribute with accuracy around the ground. So to me a 2nd ruck type option would be his go. He would be good at running off his opponent and tiring them out. Then having a run up forward as a third tall.

I would go for him in the draft.

Doc, I'm with you. We could pick up a lot worse than Bradley in the PSD. Given we've just traded for a ruckman and are aiming to play Minson as a forward, it means that a guy like Bradley would be ideal. It would certainly mean our ruck stocks are bolstered for the next few seasons. The query is just how much he really wants to go back to WA.

One thing for certain, its been an interesting off season thus far with some quality in the PSD unlike previous years where it has generally been washed up players. There are potentially some good pick ups in Bradley, Watt's Brennan (maybe)......