PDA

View Full Version : I want Yarran

Dry Rot
06-10-2013, 12:33 AM
Mick doesn't like him, I want him for the Dogs, can we make this happen?

GVGjr
06-10-2013, 12:42 AM
Mick doesn't like him, I want him for the Dogs, can we make this happen?

Why do you want him and with Eddie gone I think might have a rethink on Yarran? Don't we have more pressing needs and does he offer much more than what we can get from the draft?

Dry Rot
06-10-2013, 12:56 AM
Why do you want him and with Eddie gone I think might have a rethink on Yarran? Don't we have more pressing needs and does he offer much more than what we can get from the draft?

Under the Blues' previous coach he was a fantastic counter attacking backman. Docherty doesn't want to come to us and at Yarran's best, I don't think there's anyone in the draft that compares, except Garlett, who's a mid/small forward. Murphy is on the way out, and aside from JJ we have little attacking from the back half.

As for our other needs, I don't see this draft giving us the gun tall forward we desperately need to replace Jones, Cordy etc. Maybe Patton will happen and maybe not, and maybe we might go for Brown and/or Thorp.

The obvious question is how do we get Yarran? I'm happy to put Higgins and/or Williams on the table. And if we got some combo of Patton and/or Thorp and/or Brown, then Jones too.

GVGjr
06-10-2013, 09:00 AM
Under the Blues' previous coach he was a fantastic counter attacking backman. Docherty doesn't want to come to us and at Yarran's best, I don't think there's anyone in the draft that compares, except Garlett, who's a mid/small forward. Murphy is on the way out, and aside from JJ we have little attacking from the back half.

Picking up an attacking defender would be a good option but I'm not sold on Yarran.

As for our other needs, I don't see this draft giving us the gun tall forward we desperately need to replace Jones, Cordy etc. Maybe Patton will happen and maybe not, and maybe we might go for Brown and/or Thorp.

I'd be surprised if we replace them but we should target players to support them. Brown or Thorp would be mice additions.

The obvious question is how do we get Yarran? I'm happy to put Higgins and/or Williams on the table. And if we got some combo of Patton and/or Thorp and/or Brown, then Jones too.

No team will chase Williams so I think you can cancel him out. He still holds value for us though.
I'd be surprised if the coach let Higgins go and I couldn't see Carlton accepting a straight swap for him.
Trading Jones would be a hard call but yes maybe he becomes surplus if we have both Crameri and Patton. I'd like to keep Jones because I don't think we have seen the best of him yet.

Mofra
06-10-2013, 10:44 AM
Under the Blues' previous coach he was a fantastic counter attacking backman.
I disagree - it's widely known in AFL circles that Yarren can't defend. Matthews is on record as saying the Blues should trade him because he can only play forward.

I'd prefer to have 6 competent defenders who can all beat their opponent - Yarren is a one-way runner.

1eyedog
06-10-2013, 11:24 AM

I'm up for Yarran but as GVG says Betts on the move may mean he is retained. For mine, other than the ability to contest in the air I don't think there is a lot of difference between the defensive capabilities of Wood and Yarran and the latter is much more damaging running forward. The issue with Yarran is that because he lacks a defensive side to a game he is really only super effective in a good team who can retain possession and do nor butcher the ball / turn it over through the middle. He gets hurt bad on the rebound.

ratsmac
06-10-2013, 11:43 AM
No for me too.

Yarran looks like a Ferrari running forward with the ball but he looks like a Datsun 180b with a slipping gearbox without the ball. Perfect example of a downhill skier!

Remi Moses
06-10-2013, 11:47 AM
I disagree - it's widely known in AFL circles that Yarren can't defend. Matthews is on record as saying the Blues should trade him because he can only play forward.

I'd prefer to have 6 competent defenders who can all beat their opponent - Yarren is a one-way runner.

Yarran doesn't tackle and plays on his own terms .
He has no defensive side, and it's okay to be an attacking defender you also have to run both ways . No Thankyou

bulldogtragic
06-10-2013, 12:41 PM
Would never get any return on investment.

jeemak
06-10-2013, 02:04 PM
I think he has scope to mature and improve on his attitude towards defence, and would be worth a shot if we didn't have to give up too much for him.

The problem is, I see this being one of those trades where the selling party openly admits to wanting to move the player on but only for a high price.

I could be wrong, but it wouldn't suprise me if the Blues put a bigger price on his head than clubs are willing to pay, all because he was a high pick and has good skills.

ReLoad
06-10-2013, 02:25 PM
I think ill take a raincheck on Yarran.

stefoid
06-10-2013, 03:01 PM
How old is he? Pretty young. Depends on cost.

AndrewP6
06-10-2013, 03:21 PM
How old is he? Pretty young. Depends on cost.

He's 23 in December.

mighty_west
06-10-2013, 04:20 PM
Cracks the sads when given the red vest, only runs one way and sprays alot of EASY shots on goal, pass.

1eyedog
06-10-2013, 04:49 PM
Yarran doesn't tackle and plays on his own terms .
He has no defensive side, and it's okay to be an attacking defender you also have to run both ways . No Thankyou

He will never be a good defensive player and all players with elite speed spray a few but can Macca teach him to play a role for us in defence? I would be happy to get Yarran if he could be taught the fundamentals of man on man when we don't have it as well as an ability to apply pressure. His closing speed could be an asset in the back half and it seems to me that he lacks discipline rather than no idea how to defend. Maybe he needs a better instructor than Ratten and less of a task master than Mick.

I think it's selling him short to say that he can't learn at 23 and you don't just close the book on perhaps the best forward running player in the comp.

Raw Toast
06-10-2013, 05:32 PM
I think he has a tremendous upside and gives us what we desperately need - pace and skills. That said, he'd have to want to come to us and thus want to crack in :)

I suspect he'd prefer to head back home.

Scorlibo
06-10-2013, 06:46 PM
Most talented player in the competition.

soupman
06-10-2013, 06:56 PM
Please avoid. My family enjoyed watching him crumble at crucial moments this year to much to cheer him on in our jumper.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-10-2013, 07:20 PM
To other clubs, his worth is about Pick 30.

To Carlton, he's worth pick 10-15.

Therefore, I don't see him being traded this year.

GVGjr
06-10-2013, 08:31 PM
The rumor mills have us linked to Yarran

chef
06-10-2013, 08:38 PM
I wouldn't mind Yarran, think Macca would get the best out of him too.

bulldogtragic
06-10-2013, 08:42 PM
They don't want DFA, Cross if free too, they don't need Picken or Wood or Tutt.

They will probably want a pick we don't have or a player we won't give up. The closest I can guess is Higgins but I'm not sure either would do it.

Throwing pick 22 at Stu limits what we can do (ie trading up into late first found). The only way it could happen would be a club like Colingwood offering 10 & 11 for 4 and then using 11. Pretty pricey for mine.

Remi Moses
06-10-2013, 08:51 PM
He will never be a good defensive player and all players with elite speed spray a few but can Macca teach him to play a role for us in defence? I would be happy to get Yarran if he could be taught the fundamentals of man on man when we don't have it as well as an ability to apply pressure. His closing speed could be an asset in the back half and it seems to me that he lacks discipline rather than no idea how to defend. Maybe he needs a better instructor than Ratten and less of a task master than Mick.

I think it's selling him short to say that he can't learn at 23 and you don't just close the book on perhaps the best forward running player in the comp.

If you don't learn a defensive side under Mick you'll never obtain one.
Carlton will want overs for him

jeemak
06-10-2013, 09:49 PM
If you don't learn a defensive side under Mick you'll never obtain one.
Carlton will want overs for him

Yeah, but like any coach Mickey is just as prone to writing off players rather than working with them from time to time.

I understand there's a greater emphasis on poor defencive attributes of players like Yarran these days, though I think that this area is over emphasised compared to some of the positive things these players can bring to the game.

For a reasonable price a two year deal could turn out to be a boon for our club, as Yarran's upside is huge. Some players take time to mature into players that play percentages with disposal and realise defencive work is just as important as attack. Some players never get it.