PDA

View Full Version : O'Shea in 2008

Dry Rot
16-10-2007, 12:00 PM
Will he get some games? Down back? I've read that he played forward in his junior days.

And if he's coming along well, is this an argument against getting Rance in the draft?

Mantis
16-10-2007, 12:09 PM
Will he get some games? Down back? I've read that he played forward in his junior days.

And if he's coming along well, is this an argument against getting Rance in the draft?

1. I would hope he could hold down the full back position for Williamstown this season in the 1's. If he could snag a couple of games late in the season for the Dogs then I think he would have exceeded all expectations. Look for to push for selection in the 09 season.

2. I think we need to look towards recruiting players with picks 5 and 19 who are natural tall forwards. The 'best available' option always comes up but our list needs tall forwards so therefore Clayton would be derelict in his duties not to address this.

LostDoggy
16-10-2007, 12:19 PM
'best available' is the only way to go

Go_Dogs
16-10-2007, 12:32 PM
1. I would hope he could hold down the full back position for Williamstown this season in the 1's. If he could snag a couple of games late in the season for the Dogs then I think he would have exceeded all expectations. Look for to push for selection in the 09 season.

2. I think we need to look towards recruiting players with picks 5 and 19 who are natural tall forwards. The 'best available' option always comes up but our list needs tall forwards so therefore Clayton would be derelict in his duties not to address this.

I'm looking for O'Shea to have a bigger impact than that. His rise up the ranks this past season was great, and there is no reason why he can't have a big pre-season and really impress. I think he should be aiming to play a handful of game this season for sure.

I agree with this point. It seems there are quite a few athletic talls who play forward, so we could be in luck this year. Some others have also played utility roles back and forward, which is also good. I think we'll certainly be chasing the tall timber this year.

westdog54
17-10-2007, 05:22 PM
Lets not forget he'll only be 19 next season. He's got plenty of years of development, both physically and with his football.

I'd be very impressed if he were to make his senior debut in 2008. I see 2009 as being his year to show the competition what he can do.

GVGjr
17-10-2007, 07:43 PM
Lets not forget he'll only be 19 next season. He's got plenty of years of development, both physically and with his football.

I'd be very impressed if he were to make his senior debut in 2008. I see 2009 as being his year to show the competition what he can do.

He will do well to spend 75% of the season with the Williamstown senior side imo.

Dancin' Douggy
17-10-2007, 07:45 PM
Here goes my first post.
I like the look in O Sheas eyes.
There's something Pluggerish/ Jonathon Brown about his vacant stare.
Could be a good bookend for Harris.
Maybe the Dogs should send him to work in an abattoir, it's done wonders for Harris.
Maybe we should send Kepler to work in an abattoir?
Of course Jordy HAS gone to work in an abattoir, good luck avoiding the yellow and black knives my old friend.

The Coon Dog
17-10-2007, 07:55 PM
Nice one first up DD. Welcome to WOOF!

westdog54
20-10-2007, 02:20 PM
Nice one first up DD. Welcome to WOOF!

Hear Hear

O'Shea has 'Brian's Apprentice' written all over him.

Mofra
21-10-2007, 09:46 AM
O'Shea has 'Brian's Apprentice' written all over him.
One senior player described his courage as "borderline suicidal" so I am hoping he puts some weight on otherwise he will be killed at AFL level.
Talls tend to take longer to develop so I wouldn't be expecting much from O'Shea next year, but he seems to be tracking a steady (relatively quick) development path that is all you can ask from a young tall. Given he was a late pick tall, a debut next year would be a bonus.

Dancin' Douggy
21-10-2007, 10:04 AM
Borderline suicidal?..............eeeeeeeexcellent.

Dancin' Douggy
22-10-2007, 12:26 PM
Nice one first up DD. Welcome to WOOF! Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm just rapt I can talk bulldogs all summer and blissfully ignore the golf, horseracing, tennis, cricket, car racing, soccer, rugby, cycling, basketball, and all the other sports that we're supposed to be interested in. As for the Paul O'Shea thread I'm REALLY looking forward to watching him play, he seems to be a bit crazy. Had him pegged early so I hope it's not another false dawn.

GVGjr
22-10-2007, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm just rapt I can talk bulldogs all summer and blissfully ignore the golf, horseracing, tennis, cricket, car racing, soccer, rugby, cycling, basketball, and all the other sports that we're supposed to be interested in. As for the Paul O'Shea thread I'm REALLY looking forward to watching him play, he seems to be a bit crazy. Had him pegged early so I hope it's not another false dawn.

O'Shea is very Raw but he has the right attitude and works very hard at training. It was good to see him be given a run in the Werribee senior team at the end of the season. There's a lot of thing he needs to improve on but I reckon he is one to watch over summer.

The Coon Dog
22-10-2007, 12:34 PM
Rocket described his attack on the ball as 'reckless'.

GVGjr
22-10-2007, 12:37 PM
Rocket described his attack on the ball as 'reckless'.

Just what we wanted to hear :)

LostDoggy
22-10-2007, 12:46 PM
I have not seen him play. Hows his disposal and marking? Is he a smooth mover or is he a bit ungainly? (like tiller)

GVGjr
22-10-2007, 02:01 PM
I have not seen him play. Hows his disposal and marking? Is he a smooth mover or is he a bit ungainly? (like tiller)

Great leap, below average skills, decent mover. They need to do a bit of work on him but there is still plenty to like about him.

LostDoggy
23-10-2007, 06:06 PM
Reckless bordering on suicidal?

He shall be called RAMBO from this moment on.

Play him on the first round of the NAB Cup and we'll have 10,000 new members

Topdog
23-10-2007, 06:12 PM
Borderline suicidal?..............eeeeeeeexcellent.

My thoughts exactly.

Dry Rot
18-01-2009, 09:24 AM
Having been reading very favourable comments recently about O'Shea - anyone care to expand on that?

GVGjr
18-01-2009, 09:47 AM
Great leap, below average skills, decent mover. They need to do a bit of work on him but there is still plenty to like about him.

Having been reading very favourable comments recently about O'Shea - anyone care to expand on that?

I suppose the thing that I noticed yesterday was that, as Doc put it, he was more self assured during the training drills. If his skill level and decision making improve then he he should figure prominently for the senior Seagulls side. Physically he has matured nicely but there are still a few footy things he needs to work on.

azabob
18-01-2009, 10:28 AM
I suppose the thing that I noticed yesterday was that, as Doc put it, he was more self assured during the training drills. If his skill level and decision making improve then he he should figure prominently for the senior Seagulls side. Physically he has matured nicely but there are still a few footy things he needs to work on.

Do you think we put too much expectation early on, on players such as O'Shea, Wood and Reid to name a few on our list who come from Non Traditional football backgrounds. So its only natural that they may take longer to develop? Even Addison was from NSW not a strong football state but he is finally establishing himself in our best 22 last year.

bornadog
18-01-2009, 10:40 AM
Do you think we put too much expectation early on, on players such as O'Shea, Wood and Reid to name a few on our list who come from Non Traditional football backgrounds. So its only natural that they may take longer to develop? Even Addison was from NSW not a strong football state but he is finally establishing himself in our best 22 last year.

I thought Wood is a Victorian?

We do put high expectations on these young players, especially the Queensland boys.

GVGjr
18-01-2009, 10:43 AM

It's a good point you make about the non traditional AFL states but supporters put too much emphasis on every draftee to come in and make a difference from their first season.

I am constantly amazed how often I see and hear comments about guys like Jarrad Grant, for example, must start making an impact this year. Never mind that he has been training with the rehab guys for many weeks and had the dreaded OP last year, some people feel that if he can't play senior football from round 1 this year then he is a waste of an early draft pick.

I'm fairly certain he will play senior football this year but if its 2 games or 10 it won't really alter my opinion of him that much. Some guys can come in and play straight away like Cooney and Griffen but the problem is that many supporters feel that every draftee should be able to do the same or something very close to it.

The coaches want to see these guys succeed so their introduction to the senior side is more often than not carefully managed.

GVGjr
18-01-2009, 10:44 AM
I thought Wood is a Victorian?

We do put high expectations on these young players, especially the Queensland boys.

In Woods case a non traditional AFL background ie athletics over footy as a youngster.

Bumper Bulldogs
18-01-2009, 11:11 AM
[QUOTE=GVGjr;68411

The coaches want to see these guys succeed so their introduction to the senior side is more often than not carefully managed.[/QUOTE]

Spot on I for one would be happy to wait an extra year and then have the guys around for the nest 10 years than take a punt and end up like Zac Dawson!!

Anyway we are in no hurry as the side did finish 3rd last year. :D

Sockeye Salmon
18-01-2009, 11:12 AM

He will have to force Meyer, Wight and Cloke out of the backline. Everitt might be at Willi as well, at least some of the time, anyway.

lemmon
18-01-2009, 02:01 PM
I have said it before but i am a massive rap for this kid, love his attack on the footy and his athleticism. If he becomes a good player for us it would be a massive bonus and i could see him playing roles at both ends of the ground.

The Doctor
18-01-2009, 04:32 PM
He will have to force Meyer, Wight and Cloke out of the backline.

If the club didn't think he was capable of forcing any of these out he would have been delisted.

Remains to be seen if the clubs' faith is vindicated.

azabob
18-01-2009, 05:27 PM
He will have to force Meyer, Wight and Cloke out of the backline. Everitt might be at Willi as well, at least some of the time, anyway.

Doesnt Cloke mainly play ruck / roaming forward? Either way if he's good enough he'll play Williamstown firsts.

LostDoggy
18-01-2009, 05:35 PM
I have said it before but i am a massive rap for this kid, love his attack on the footy and his athleticism. If he becomes a good player for us it would be a massive bonus and i could see him playing roles at both ends of the ground.

I agree with you lemmon, I recall seeing him a few years ago now against Essendon in a practice game down at the cattery and he immediately took my attention back then with his attack on the ball and atheticism. He is still young and learning the game but I think he has a great chance of making it.

lemmon
18-01-2009, 06:59 PM
I agree with you lemmon, I recall seeing him a few years ago now against Essendon in a practice game down at the cattery and he immediately took my attention back then with his attack on the ball and atheticism. He is still young and learning the game but I think he has a great chance of making it.

I have seen a bit of him for Willi reserves and he really impressed me as a forward but i remember one piece of play in the NAB cup last year that really got me excited. He was playing full back on David Hille and the ball was floated towards Hille leading out of the square. Paul was caught behind but managed to catch up to and step in front of Hille and take an easy mark on his chest. It really just highlighted his pace, courage and agility. I know its a big call so early but he could become a real cornerstone of our defence for a long time.

Bulldog4life
18-01-2009, 07:55 PM

Just wondering what others thought about Wight's position. Last year they started him playing CHF but were forced to swing him to the backline due to Tom Williams being injured. He was quite ok up to approx half way in the year then his form dropped off.
Do you think that he will be tried again in the forward line in the practice matches?

strebla
19-01-2009, 11:40 AM
Just wondering what others thought about Wight's position. Last year they started him playing CHF but were forced to swing him to the backline due to Tom Williams being injured. He was quite ok up to approx half way in the year then his form dropped off.
Do you think that he will be tried again in the forward line in the practice matches?

No I think that is what they have in mind for Skipper Cam needs to work really hard on the defensive side of his game this year.