PDA

View Full Version : A group of Western Bulldogs will fund their own altitude camp

azabob
10-10-2013, 09:18 PM
A GROUP of Western Bulldogs' big men have dipped into their own pockets to help pay for a gruelling altitude camp next month.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/a-group-of-western-bulldogs-will-fund-their-own-altitude-camp/story-fndv8weh-1226737013318

bulldogtragic
10-10-2013, 09:25 PM
Are we still this poor?

Scorlibo
10-10-2013, 09:29 PM
Are we still this poor?

It's not like everyone's doing it. I think it's a really good sign that players want to pay to improve themselves and to improve the team.

comrade
10-10-2013, 09:47 PM
Great signs. The article mentions some younger players drove the initiative and older players have jumped on board and received approval to come back from their break sooner.

Any guesses to who will be participating. I'd imagine Wally will be there.

bulldogtragic
10-10-2013, 10:02 PM
It's not like everyone's doing it. I think it's a really good sign that players want to pay to improve themselves and to improve the team.
I didn't say it was bad, only that players are forking out for their own training. I don't remember too many stories of altitude training with other clubs coming with "and the players are paying for themselves".

Scorlibo
10-10-2013, 10:20 PM
I didn't say it was bad, only that players are forking out for their own training. I don't remember too many stories of altitude training with other clubs coming with "and the players are paying for themselves".

Yeah I understand, I guess my point is that not many clubs can afford it in the first place. It says far less about how 'poor' we are and far more about the character of our players imo.

LostDoggy
10-10-2013, 10:29 PM
I still find it disappointing that the players are having to fund the trip themselves. Another example of how unequal the AFL really is. Could you see Collingwood having to fund their own altitude training?

Scorlibo
10-10-2013, 10:33 PM
I really hope Jake Stringer is a part of this.

hotdog
10-10-2013, 10:34 PM
I think it is a good thing. The players are hardly on the poverty line and I am sure the club would support and contribute to the initiative.

Ghost Dog
10-10-2013, 10:37 PM
Just wait till we tear these middle ranked teams a new one next season.

The bulldog tragician
10-10-2013, 10:38 PM
This makes me really excited. We have players who want to succeed, just as much as we supporters want it to happen. These guys aren't coasting along happy just to be AFL footballers . Impressive!

The Bulldogs Bite
10-10-2013, 10:48 PM
I really hope Jake Stringer is a part of this.

There was talk of this happening a few months back and Stringer and Jones were two mentioned as definite travelers.

always right
10-10-2013, 11:03 PM
This builds a stronger club culture...nothing handed to them on a platter. It comes down to their drive to succeed.

Scorlibo
10-10-2013, 11:04 PM
There was talk of this happening a few months back and Stringer and Jones were two mentioned as definite travelers.

Thanks, good to hear. With a really good pre-season under his belt, Jake will improve immensely next year.

Dry Rot
10-10-2013, 11:23 PM
Is it just me, or did anyone else get a bit excited seeing that pic of Stringer soaring above two Port defenders?

Twodogs
10-10-2013, 11:38 PM
Is it just me, or did anyone else get a bit excited seeing that pic of Stringer soaring above two Port defenders?

It's not just you.

LostDoggy
11-10-2013, 12:32 AM

Made sure to let the guy in front feel it!!

SonofScray
11-10-2013, 01:01 AM

Great hand in the face as well.

They could claim it on tax. Great to see they are investing in their own careers. A shame that the headline reads as if it is pushing the 'poor club' narrative.

LostDoggy
11-10-2013, 01:16 AM
This builds a stronger club culture...nothing handed to them on a platter. It comes down to their drive to succeed.

This. Success is earned. We will one day climb the summit, and when we do my god it will be epic.

Nothing will ever be handed to us....wouldn't want it any other way.

ledge
11-10-2013, 08:39 AM
A bit of credit goes to macca here, he has chosen the right character needed to create this kind of thing , their is no doubt he picks players on ability, great character and huge drive.

LostDoggy
11-10-2013, 09:07 AM

Absolutely. Collingwood might provide everything a player could want, but I'm not hearing stories of how fantastic their culture is.

I think the fact they're giving up their leave says as much as the money. These guys live pretty wired lives, I'm sure the break is precious to them.

I think even the defender himself would've been pretty impressed. “Hey, Mum, did you see that pic in the Hun? Yep. That was my head that Mr. Stringer was perched upon!”

westdog54
11-10-2013, 09:41 AM
A bit of credit goes to macca here, he has chosen the right character needed to create this kind of thing , their is no doubt he picks players on ability, great character and huge drive.

Beat me to it. Its a long bow to draw I know, but these appear to be non-negotiables for anyone entering the club.

Work ethic and initiative should be applauded here, rather than focusing on our lack of resources.

Topdog
11-10-2013, 10:29 AM

Basically all people from the country areas.

ledge
11-10-2013, 10:40 AM

Haha love that TD maybe they can all find a wife too

Topdog
11-10-2013, 11:09 AM
Stevens/Smith - Gippsland
Young - Bowral, NSW
Stringer - Bendigo

Im sure there are a few others

Twodogs
11-10-2013, 11:48 AM

Really good point I reckon.

Greystache
11-10-2013, 12:26 PM

I know a recruiter that has the belief that kids from the country are a safer bet than kids from the city. His rationale is they understand and appreciate the amount of work it took from a lot of people such as countless hours driving to training/games/meetings, giving up weekends, paying for accommodation etc to provide them with the opportunity to have an AFL career and they respect that by giving their all to get the most out of themselves. Some kids from the city take it all for granted.

soupman
11-10-2013, 07:12 PM
It's on the Bulldogs website that four of them are Talia, Roughead, Stringer and Jones

The Bulldogs Bite
11-10-2013, 07:15 PM
It's on the Bulldogs website that four of them are Talia, Roughead, Stringer and Jones

Four players that hold some big responsibility for how far we go in the next 5+ years.

It is a really big season upcoming for Jones.

LostDoggy
12-10-2013, 05:01 PM
Four players that hold some big responsibility for how far we go in the next 5+ years.

It is a really big season upcoming for Jones.

And I reckon he'll stand vindicated at the conclusion. Kid just needs time.

strebla
12-10-2013, 05:26 PM
This is a massive fillip for the club character grown from Grant,BJ,Smith and West.It shows that our club has character and commitment.Cooney,Murphy,Gia and Griff were the follow on and now the new guard are there as the gaurdians we may not have 16 flags in the chest but our stature has grown since the nineties because we have heart we owe all of these players as supporters and members I am a very grateful man to have seen the re-making of our great club flag or no flag all the players named plus a lot more make me a very proud man.

F'scary
13-10-2013, 01:47 PM
Made sure to let the guy in front feel it!!

Great hand in the face as well.

Multi-tasking.

ledge
13-10-2013, 02:09 PM
I thought I read somewhere that this altitude training only realed rewards after about 4 years which seemed a bit if waste of time because you probably cull half your list in four years, plus don't we have a machine if some maker that does the same thing at Whitten oval ?

Eastdog
13-10-2013, 02:28 PM
Great news to hear. These guys are committed in succeeding and if we come with an attitude like that next season I'm sure we can trouble many teams.

Scorlibo
13-10-2013, 03:28 PM
I thought I read somewhere that this altitude training only realed rewards after about 4 years which seemed a bit if waste of time because you probably cull half your list in four years, plus don't we have a machine if some maker that does the same thing at Whitten oval ?

4 years seems quite far fetched. My understanding is that the benefits are instantaneous because it's about how your body adapts to the lessening of oxygen at high altitude. When reintroduced to the high oxygen environment it can then 'do more' if you will.

LostDoggy
13-10-2013, 06:40 PM

Victoria University gives our younger players access to their high altitude performance centre with is designed to largely provide the same benefits as HAT in the mountains. Most of this group will have been using it already for the last couple of seasons but an actual camp will have additional bonding benefits (hopefully) that a performance centre can't replicate. I do love that they are doing it. I do really hope the club has chipped in some serious coin to make it happen and the amount the players are spending is being mitigated. Great to see this happening anyway.

MrMahatma
13-10-2013, 08:58 PM
Anyone with drive in another profession will pay for further training to benefit their career. Don't see why footy players are any different? They benefit from being better players as much as the club.

jeemak
13-10-2013, 10:53 PM
Anyone with drive in another profession will pay for further training to benefit their career. Don't see why footy players are any different? They benefit from being better players as much as the club.

Good point.

People put themselves through uni at their own expense to further their careers all the time. Sometimes their employers will compensate them, other times they won't.

I'm glad our players are taking the initiative to further themselves.

Shop Early
14-10-2013, 04:41 AM
It's not the first time our players have funded this kind of thing. We went to Arizona at the end of 2008 and the players at least contributed to the cost of that, if not funding it entirely. Only difference was they ran a good old-fashioned Player's Review at Williamstown Town Hall (not one of those stupid 'Manpower' shows) to raise some cash for it. It was very funny. Adam Cooney showed he was as comfortable on stage as he is on the field and Bob Murphy can sing! Best thing about it was the involvement of club members in the night. We all got our money's worth and the boys got their money. It added a lot to the sense of club and involvement. I still remember it clearly as a great night.

Topdog
14-10-2013, 06:30 AM

Yep and I'm sure their accountant will be claiming it back on tax somehow.

SonofScray
14-10-2013, 09:31 AM

Agree. Mac would have a close affinity to that 'type' and some lived experience of what you described as the pathway and involvement a kid from the country travels compared to the city kids.

soupman
09-11-2013, 06:52 PM
Here is the group:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BYmPM55CIAACsWe.jpg:large

LostDoggy
09-11-2013, 07:05 PM
Who's to the right of Jones?

Happy Days
09-11-2013, 07:20 PM
Anyone else thinking that some of the borderline guys fronted up for the camp in an attempt to stave off being delisted?

The Underdog
09-11-2013, 07:34 PM
Anyone else thinking that some of the borderline guys fronted up for the camp in an attempt to stave off being delisted?

Not this year, no. I'd be pretty surprised if anyone there hasn't been guaranteed their spot this year.

always right
09-11-2013, 08:12 PM

No...probably just you.

ledge
09-11-2013, 08:16 PM
They would have been told before they went I would presume.

Happy Days
09-11-2013, 09:40 PM
Not this year, no. I'd be pretty surprised if anyone there hasn't been guaranteed their spot this year.

No...probably just you.

Was meant to a joke, considering the retention of all the rookies for some reason

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
09-11-2013, 09:46 PM
Should Tom Williams be standing that close to a cliff? Making me nervous

boydogs
09-11-2013, 11:36 PM
Is Talia wearing a powerband?

Twodogs
10-11-2013, 01:34 AM
Should Tom Williams be standing that close to a cliff? Making me nervous

Me too.

Dazza
10-11-2013, 11:19 AM
Surprised Darley is there. Jong makes sense coming back from a broken leg.

bornadog
10-11-2013, 01:57 PM
Surprised Darley is there. Jong makes sense coming back from a broken leg.

Leg must be good if he is going to put it to the test in those conditions.

BornInDroopSt'54
10-11-2013, 08:45 PM
Amazing photo. There are some interesting couplings:
Stringer and Crameri!!! Similar types and the hopes of our goalkicking prowess.
Young and Grant...Young seems so laconic in his attitude that matches Grant's, hope they're good buddies
Williams and Redpath... both look frighteningly serious, hope they're not grim.
Talia and Jong...jolly good fellows with optimism
Goodes and Jones...brothers in heritage and future.

soupman
10-11-2013, 09:01 PM
Young and Grant...Young seems so laconic in his attitude that matches Grant's, hope they're good buddies

It's actually Ayce Cordy next to Young.

comrade
10-11-2013, 10:15 PM
Pretty sure that's not Goode's either,

soupman
10-11-2013, 10:38 PM
Pretty sure that's not Goode's either,

Especially as he features quite prominently in the inside the kennel videos, which are following the group still at whiten oval

LostDoggy
11-11-2013, 12:02 AM
Is it me or is Austin a pretty good lookin guy? Or is it that the rest are just average looking?

LostDoggy
11-11-2013, 05:15 PM
Is it me or is Austin a pretty good lookin guy? Or is it that the rest are just average looking?

No not just you.
My first thought was Gia has a replacement in the looks department.

KT31
20-11-2013, 10:15 AM
High altitude, low benefit, says expert.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-11-20/high-altitude-low-benefit

LostDoggy
20-11-2013, 02:20 PM
Is a physical benefit all the club wants out of the exercise?

LostDoggy
20-11-2013, 03:06 PM

The guys that went certainly seem to have bonded really well as a group judging by social media.

LostDoggy
20-11-2013, 03:20 PM
The guys that went certainly seem to have bonded really well as a group judging by social media.

Yes. With a virtual void in the vitally important 24-28 age group it would not surprise me if the club was looking for some bonding and fast tracking of leadership from this trip.

LostDoggy
25-11-2013, 08:57 PM

Exactly. Whether or not they see a scientific benefit or not, our dozen are going to come home believing they can push themselves harder, trusting their teammates are putting in just as much as they are and motivated to see a return for their own spend. If it's merely a panacea, it's a good one.