PDA

View Full Version : Lets discuss - Tory Dickson

GVGjr
17-10-2013, 09:42 AM
I know on a couple of other threads there has been some discussions about the real worth of Tory Dickson to our forward set-up.

To me, Dickson is a valuable player but obviously he is never going to be a great one mainly because he isn't a key forward or a crumbing one. He's very effective though

He has played 30 senior games now and has kicked 45 goals which is a reasonable return. Last year he was injured for a fair chunk of it and as a result I think he struggled because he hadn't done enough of the work. With a full pre-season leading into 2014 and with hopefully a new addition in Crameri I think Dickson can get under the guard of opposition teams and kick some much needed goals. He might even push up the ground a bit rather than being anchored into the forward 50.

How do you rate Dickson's chances of making consistent performances in 2014?
Do you see him as a regular player for us?

Ozza
17-10-2013, 10:02 AM
If Dickson is able to get a good pre-season under his belt, and stay injury free throughout the season, it would not surprise me to see him lead the goal kicking.

He's a natural goal kicker, an accurate kick and has the smarts to - as you say - get under the guard of the opposition.

At this point in his career, the difference between his best and worst has been significant. But that is not uncommon for < 30 game players. If he improves on the gradient that you would expect a player would from 30 to 50 games, then he will be a very handy forward this season and beyond.

w3design
17-10-2013, 10:07 AM
Dickson for me is part of the forward 6 with Crameri taking the best defender will help him. If he stay fit and has a good preseason i think he can kick 30 to 40 goals .
I like his forward pressure and with Dahl make a good combo.

Mofra
17-10-2013, 10:18 AM
He plays similar to Gia for mine, almost a crumber but probably less speed, for which he makes up in positioning smarts.
He probably doesn't have Gia's kicking skills under pressure (arguably, no Bulldog in the past decade or so does) but his defensive efforts are first rate. Very good set shot for goal which is something which can't be overlooked.

For mine, he's the reason that Gia's retirement wont hurt so much - will be ready to step into his shoes if his body holds up.

Bulldog Revolution
17-10-2013, 10:22 AM
I've been surprised at the level of negativity towards Dickson on the board this off season

I thought he bounced back strongly at the end of the year and showed what a clever goal kicker he is.

Strong on the lead, one on one, and clever off the deck.

If he can get his tank right I think he can get up the ground and be a weapon pushing back to goal.

I view his as the natural Gia replacement, but having a slightly different mix of skills

LostDoggy
17-10-2013, 10:58 AM
He might even push up the ground a bit rather than being anchored into the forward 50.

I don't know how you can say this. He does play up the ground and can be found up on the wing and half back for the exit kick from our defence, as well as to be there to run the ball into our forward line and then to to get on the end of it closer to goal. I would suggest we would want Crameri to do this too, as his marking might be a stronger on the lead. Both players would be used to run from defence into the forward line alternately or in tandem.

I would expect Dickson, Crameri and Grant to be playing similar roles but not all at once?

Dickson covers a lot of ground and this idea that he is anchored to the forward line isn't correct in my view. Coming back from injury he didn't cover the ground as his tank and fitness wasn't up to it. He would stop short of going beyond centre.

GVGjr
17-10-2013, 11:05 AM
I don't know how you can say this. He does play up the ground and can be found up on the wing and half back for the exit kick from our defence, as well as to be there to run the ball into our forward line and then to to get on the end of it closer to goal.

I should have phrased it more around him spending time in the middle as a midfielder. I think he plays his best football in the forward arc but he does have the ability to offer us a few other options.

Maddog37
17-10-2013, 11:09 AM
I like him alot and I view him as a fella that can basically run the forward line ala Gia. If he continues to improve his fitness then he will improve again on what he has shown thus far. If the rest of the team improves as a whole and we getter better/more forward entries he will be a nightmare for defenders as he has natural goal kicking instincts.

Having said all that, he must continue to be a strong defensive presence or he will fast become a down hill skier.

1eyedog
17-10-2013, 11:24 AM
If Dickson is able to get a good pre-season under his belt, and stay injury free throughout the season, it would not surprise me to see him lead the goal kicking.

He's a natural goal kicker, an accurate kick and has the smarts to - as you say - get under the guard of the opposition.

At this point in his career, the difference between his best and worst has been significant. But that is not uncommon for < 30 game players. If he improves on the gradient that you would expect a player would from 30 to 50 games, then he will be a very handy forward this season and beyond.

Agree with this.

You would think that with the addition of Crameri (who obviously provides a dangerous forward target) that both Dickson and Jones will benefit. If our mids can deliver the ball well going inside and if the coaching staff can develop good strategies to help Dickson learn how to maximise the presence of Crameri / Grant, then he may get on the end of quite a few and have big games like he did with his 6 this year. I actually think the addition and form of Grant inside 50 for the last 8 games helped Dickson immensely.

I think Dickson will make a fine contribution next year and I think there is room for Dickson, Grant, Stringer and Crameri who along with Jones and Campbell make up a strong forward line now (something we haven't really had for a long time). While the addition of Crameri and the form of Grant will help Dickson a lot, it will be Stringer who will put the fear of god in opposition coaches next year. If he gets freed up on the 3rd or 4th back he could tear any game apart in 15 minutes. The great strength of our forward line is that it is built with good, dangerous players, all of them, and I don't think many teams will have the quality across the back half to contain all of them. Hopefully this manifests into some good results for us next season.

bornadog
17-10-2013, 12:10 PM
I thought he was brought back too early after his injury last season and played some woeful games, however, he bounced back and kicked goals.

He is a good HFF, but cannot see him play anywhere else. One on one gets beaten most times, so his skills lay in being an opportunist and kicking goals. With another preseason under his plans, he should kick at least 50 goals.

GVGjr
17-10-2013, 12:26 PM
He is a good HFF, but cannot see him play anywhere else. One on one gets beaten most times, so his skills lay in being an opportunist and kicking goals. With another preseason under his plans, he should kick at least 50 goals.

I think an 'at least 50 goal' expectation for the season is slightly on the high side but if he can continue to kick his 1.5 to 2 goals a game an even lift the defensive side of his game a bit further I'd be more than happy with a 35 to 40 goal season from him.

Mantis
17-10-2013, 12:32 PM
I don't rate him.

He is handy around goals, but when he moves up the field he struggles with poor skill execution and decision making.

Prefer others.

stefoid
17-10-2013, 01:02 PM
For me the jury is out. 2014 will tell the tale, I think.

GVGjr
17-10-2013, 01:20 PM
For me the jury is out. 2014 will tell the tale, I think.

Any particular reasons?

soupman
17-10-2013, 01:25 PM
I think he has some good attributes but I don't anticipate him being best 22 in a couple of years.

Physically he is very similar to Gia ie. Not very big and not very fast, therefore he has to rely on his smarts.

I don't think he is good enough at outbodying his opponent like Gia, and since he is limited to the forwardline I think he needs to consistently have a big impact on matches to justify his spot ahead of others. He isn't really a link player, and while he does push up the ground at times I think he isn't the best option for this.

By all means I think he is decent, and will probably kick more than 40 goals next season, but I think he is helped by getting one of the worst defenders every week (you would put your better defenders on Grant, Campbell, Dahlhaus and Gia before him). He does create opportunities for scoring but apart from set shots he isn't very accurate. He has a habit of kicking snap shots with the outside of his right boot which very frequently drop short.

Good solid player, but I think he will see others go past him in the next few years.

always right
17-10-2013, 02:38 PM
I think he has some good attributes but I don't anticipate him being best 22 in a couple of years.

Physically he is very similar to Gia ie. Not very big and not very fast, therefore he has to rely on his smarts.

I don't think he is good enough at outbodying his opponent like Gia, and since he is limited to the forwardline I think he needs to consistently have a big impact on matches to justify his spot ahead of others. He isn't really a link player, and while he does push up the ground at times I think he isn't the best option for this.

By all means I think he is decent, and will probably kick more than 40 goals next season, but I think he is helped by getting one of the worst defenders every week (you would put your better defenders on Grant, Campbell, Dahlhaus and Gia before him). He does create opportunities for scoring but apart from set shots he isn't very accurate. He has a habit of kicking snap shots with the outside of his right boot which very frequently drop short.

Good solid player, but I think he will see others go past him in the next few years.

Agree with this...but if he kicks more than 40 goals next season then we have clearly under-rated him. I see him as a 25-30 goal forward at best. He has to get the 6th best defender though.

His habit of kicking with the outside of his boot exasperated me more than once last season.

Mofra
17-10-2013, 03:31 PM
Can anyone see another player besides Tory winning our goalkicking aware next year?
I'm expecting Tory to take it out.

always right
17-10-2013, 03:32 PM
Can anyone see another player besides Tory winning our goalkicking aware next year?
I'm expecting Tory to take it out.

Crameri
Grant
Jones

Maddog37
17-10-2013, 04:10 PM
Campbell. Clutching at straws admittedly.

1eyedog
17-10-2013, 04:13 PM
Crameri
Grant
Jones

Agree, Crameri and Grant would be short odds too.

Ghost Dog
17-10-2013, 04:15 PM
Besides Gia, the most accurate set shot we have. Now our most mature forward, and his fitness base still has some ways to go. Has only had two preseasons at AFL level and one was interrupted.
In short, we are yet to see the best of Dicko. The sort of 'handy' player who will shine in a stronger team.

Ghost Dog
17-10-2013, 04:27 PM
Crameri
Grant
Jones

Dahl - the forward opposition coaches will be most wary of.

Mofra
17-10-2013, 05:27 PM
Crameri
Grant
Jones
2012 & 2013 - Gia had a higher goal average per game, Dickson was second both years.

Crameri will probably play higher up the ground than Dickson which may reduce his goal tally somewhat; Crameri at 1.88 goals per game would have won it in 2013 in Bulldog colours, although he was being fed by a more mature midfield.

LostDoggy
17-10-2013, 06:45 PM
I really rate Dickson and believe he can be a best 22 player for us next year and beyond. It's true the gap between his best and worst is too great, but we need to remember he's only played 30 games of AFL footy and has had niggling injuries and interrupted preseasons. He's a ripping set shot, works hard defensively and is one of those players who just knows how to find the goals. Working in a forward line with Campbell, Jones, Crameri and hopefully Stringer will benefit him enormously.

ledge
17-10-2013, 07:13 PM
Dickson is a gun he spent his first year with us just getting used to the rigors of AFL, last year was building fitness and a tank, watch out next season.

F'scary
17-10-2013, 07:39 PM
Dicko is a small who can also present for a mark. He has added defensive pressure acts to his game. He has plenty of stamina. He is an accurate kick for goal. He averaged 1.5 goals per game last year including a memorable haul of 6 in a game.

Whats not to like?

LostDoggy
17-10-2013, 10:17 PM
Crameri
Grant
Jones

Jones-your'e having a laugh? :confused:

Crammers
Dicko
Spindle

LostDoggy
17-10-2013, 10:20 PM
Dicko is a small who can also present for a mark. He has added defensive pressure acts to his game. He has plenty of stamina. He is an accurate kick for goal. He averaged 1.5 goals per game last year including a memorable haul of 6 in a game.

Whats not to like?

Agree

always right
17-10-2013, 10:56 PM
Jones-your'e having a laugh? :confused:

Crammers
Dicko
Spindle

You don't rate Jones. I get it already.

Eastdog
17-10-2013, 10:59 PM

What role will Jones play in our side AR. Im more inclined to say his a CHF. Hopefully he'll have a ggod year next year or else he'll be another under scrutiny.

always right
18-10-2013, 12:10 AM
What role will Jones play in our side AR. Im more inclined to say his a CHF. Hopefully he'll have a ggod year next year or else he'll be another under scrutiny.

Jones never looks comfortable close to goal but is much better when he has space to run and leap. He has enormous pace for a KPF and I'd like to see him use it roaming around high half forward. With an increased focus on Crameri and an improving Campbell I can also see Jones benefiting from being third man up in contests.

Remi Moses
18-10-2013, 12:30 AM
Going to help Jones immensely if and when Crameri comes in the side.
Jones has defiencies that need to be addressed , but I wouldn't be putting a line through his name yet.
Jones looked dangerous at times when the ball movement was quick and precise, but he has to become more defensive and get fitter.

Eastdog
18-10-2013, 12:36 AM
Going to help Jones immensely if and when Crameri comes in the side.
Jones has defiencies that need to be addressed , but I wouldn't be putting a line through his name yet.
Jones looked dangerous at times when the ball movement was quick and precise, but he has to become more defensive and get fitter.

His goal kicking is the area he needs improving. As we all know and have mentioned time and time again he is a great mark. If he can get that part of his game right he'll be a much better player than he is. Is Jones comparable to Cloke from Collingwood in some ways or is that a bad comparison.

Ghost Dog
18-10-2013, 02:02 AM

When people go in hard with Jones, I feel like trolling back into the archives to see who had written off J. Grant earlier in the year. I seem to recall a few ' he'll never make it' comments.

bornadog
18-10-2013, 02:11 AM
Dickson is a gun he spent his first year with us just getting used to the rigors of AFL, last year was building fitness and a tank, watch out next season.

Lets not exaggerate please.

Remi Moses
18-10-2013, 02:28 AM
When people go in hard with Jones, I feel like trolling back into the archives to see who had written off J. Grant earlier in the year. I seem to recall a few ' he'll never make it' comments.

I think 99.9 % of posters wrote Grant off.

Still hasn't earnt the respect yet for mine, but Jones has been the main man in a crap team.

bornadog
18-10-2013, 02:30 AM

Still hasn't earnt the respect yet for mine, but Jones has been the main man in a crap team.

Maybe not that high, but they were wrong anyway;)

Doc26
18-10-2013, 07:05 AM
Would like to see another pre-season into Tory plus a more potent Bulldog forward line with Crameri's inclusion before passing judgment on him. He looked underdone coming into 2013 and looked too slow and lacking forward defensive pressure early in games. This was particularly evident in the first ~20 mins of the first and second quarters when there was more pace in the game. His skills are up to it and he could be of good value if he can lift his fitness level to the required level.

Greystache
18-10-2013, 10:28 AM
Maybe not that high, but they were wrong anyway;)

Let's not exaggerate please.

bornadog
18-10-2013, 12:03 PM
Let's not exaggerate please.

Its ok, I wasn't

1eyedog
18-10-2013, 12:51 PM
Jones never looks comfortable close to goal but is much better when he has space to run and leap. He has enormous pace for a KPF and I'd like to see him use it roaming around high half forward. With an increased focus on Crameri and an improving Campbell I can also see Jones benefiting from being third man up in contests.

I'm worried about Jones' ability to play this role with a mediocre tank. He has good pace yes but he looked stuffed every game at the end of the third quarter playing deep, how is he going to go roaming high forward?

Maybe another preseason will help.

I must have been the 0.1%:)

stefoid
18-10-2013, 02:11 PM
Jones maybe a bit like Schultz? Taking a while to put it all together consistently?

Lets not do a Richmond...

Greystache
18-10-2013, 03:18 PM
Its ok, I wasn't

Bookmarked.

Mofra
18-10-2013, 03:35 PM
Jones maybe a bit like Schultz? Taking a while to put it all together consistently?
He's only 22. Petrie took a while to become a full time KPF as well; heck, Dale Morris was only rookied as a 22 year old.

I'm certainly not giving up on him - not that many 22 year old KPFs are playing 19 games (many as the only HF option and/or getting the best defender) and averaging 1.2 goals per game despite getting shitful delivery for the bulk of the year.

hujsh
06-06-2016, 10:51 AM
How's Dickson looking to you lot? He's missed two absolute sitters from set shots the last 2 weeks and has looked hesitant to pull the trigger in front of goal. Is his injury still bothering him, is he a bit out of touch, or am I imagining things?

whythelongface
06-06-2016, 11:13 AM
How's Dickson looking to you lot? He's missed two absolute sitters from set shots the last 2 weeks and has looked hesitant to pull the trigger in front of goal. Is his injury still bothering him, is he a bit out of touch, or am I imagining things?

Thought he was pretty good yesterday particularly two passages of play that led to goals. One a beautiful left foot kick to Picken and the 2nd he had a chance to blast away but steadied and faked to kick twice but instead passed it onto Dunkley. Bang goal.

Sure he maybe a bit underdone but the more game he gets the better we will be.

Ozza
06-06-2016, 11:24 AM
He went 3 for 3 for kicking to marking targets inside 50 in the period that probably won us the game in the 3rd, and won some very important one-on-one's yesterday. Thought he was good again after struggling against GWS, his last two have been solid.

Horror result that he missed a set shot - but has kicked 12.4 for the year!

Not sure what went on with kicking at that end of the ground - but it was 8.2 to the Footscray end, and 4.9 to the other end.

bornadog
06-06-2016, 12:01 PM

I think he is still a bit under done, but I expect a big second half of the year from him.

hujsh
06-06-2016, 01:45 PM
To be clear I'm not having a go at his overall performance. He's been good but I've wondered if something's bother his kicking at goal.

bornadog
06-06-2016, 02:01 PM
To be clear I'm not having a go at his overall performance. He's been good but I've wondered if something's bother his kicking at goal.

He doesn't seem to get the distance like he use to.

comrade
06-06-2016, 02:07 PM
He has a 6th sense in the forward 50 that he lacks elsewhere on the ground. His assist to Dunkley in the 1st was so composed. Miss-stepped 2 defenders before finding the perfect open option.

Needs to spend 90% of game time forward of centre.

Murphy'sLore
06-06-2016, 04:03 PM
I said yesterday, I don't want to see Dickson anywhere on the ground outside the forward 50.

Mantis
06-06-2016, 04:15 PM
I said yesterday, I don't want to see Dickson anywhere on the ground outside the forward 50.

Unfortunately the modern game doesn't allow for that to be the case.. It's a shame his smarts around the F50 don't carry over when he moves further afield.

Bulldog Joe
06-06-2016, 04:16 PM
He doesn't seem to get the distance like he use to.

I feel he has always struggled with distance if he is beyond 40.

Generally smart enough to get his shots closer to goal.

Murphy'sLore
06-06-2016, 04:24 PM
Unfortunately the modern game doesn't allow for that to be the case..

Yeah, I know. But how many times a game does it bug you to see the ball in hand and an empty forward fifty with no one to take advantage? I wish we could allow for just one player to be lurking there permanently.

ledge
06-06-2016, 05:10 PM
Tory Dicksons pressure in the forward line is massive.
His kicking is exceptional.
One of the most under rated forwards in the AFL.
Once we get our delivery in correct he will be huge.

GVGjr
06-06-2016, 06:49 PM

I get that. I still think he is behind schedule given his late start. I think he is close to one of those 4 or 5 goal efforts.

Hotdog60
06-06-2016, 07:19 PM
I think Tory is kinda doing the Crameri role but not ranging Stewart.

S Coast Simon
07-06-2016, 07:41 AM
Goal kicking is a different action to kicking around the ground. This is why so many are missed. I remember when I played full forward ( not in these boys league by a long shot). I was very accurate within 40 and the ball stayed straight. When I was shooting from outside 40 my action changed to a bit of the curved run up to get the distance therefore the ball actually curved as well and was not as accurate. This I believe is why Dickson isn't as good outside 40. Mathew Loyd used to pick someone out in the crowd and kick it to them. Around the ground the boys barely miss targets as the have a specific spot the are trying to hit. Bevo needs to string a target between the goals half way up the posts. Practice hitting it at training then imagine it there during the games

Ghost Dog
30-07-2016, 06:29 AM
Bump - What did you make of his game last night? I'll have to watch it again, but three goals is a fantastic effort.

Mantis
30-07-2016, 08:13 AM
Bump - What did you make of his game last night? I'll have to watch it again, but three goals is a fantastic effort.

3 goals, but didn't do much otherwise.. Did notice him at all in the 2nd half.

westdog54
30-07-2016, 08:17 AM
3 goals, but didn't do much otherwise.. Did notice him at all in the 2nd half.

I'm inclined to agree. Faded badly after a red hot start.

jeemak
30-07-2016, 10:46 AM
That's what happens to forward pockets in tight games, and is why they need to take their chances as they arise.

Ghost Dog
30-07-2016, 01:19 PM
One of his better halves in a long time. Hope for a better full-game impact next time. Definitely improving.

Remi Moses
30-07-2016, 02:00 PM
Bevo said he played a defensive role on Enright last night, he hit the scoreboard early.
Had a disappointing season, but the Crameri loss has hurt him.

hujsh
07-08-2016, 07:40 PM
Thought he was good last night. Involved in a few passages of play and was dangerous around the ground, creating opportunities and getting in the scoring chain (even held an overhead mark under pressure he would have dropped at other times this year).

Ozza
07-08-2016, 11:48 PM
Thought he had a really good game.

His pressure was manic, his hands a lot better, stayed involved - and got us rolling with our first goal when it looked like we couldn't possibly kick one early.

Ghost Dog
08-08-2016, 12:11 AM
Quite a flexible player. Has been put down in defence and on the wing V North, as mentioned below. Important in the situation we are in, lacking a few options. Well done Tory.

--------------------------------------------
Considering the limited number of first-choice midfielders available to Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge what he did to engineer a win against North Melbourne was brilliant, says Robert Shaw.

In a low-scoring match at Etihad Stadium on Saturday night the Dogs kept themselves in top four contention with a win by 14 points against the stuttering Kangaroos.

“Really if you take out the injuries from both sides it’s pretty much a square game – you know, it’s on the line here,” said Shaw on SEN radio.

“A lot of players in that side were asked to lift and play roles, like the Western Bulldogs starting centre square was Dunkley, Lin Jong and obviously Bontempelli.

“Now this is against Cunnington, Swallow, Ziebell, a little bit of Dal Santo going through there so there was nothing missing in the North midfield from my perspective.

“So to do that without Wallace, Liberatore and obviously you don’t see that Clay Smith is going to go down too in the first quarter.

“Beveridge’s coaching on the day with the dynamics of his team and the troops he had available was as good a coaching performance as I’ve seen this year.”

The defensive mindset from Beveridge allowed his team to put a lot of pressure on the Kangaroos with numbers back, even starting with Tory Dickson and Jake Stringer on each wing.

“It allowed them to defend the channels where North Melbourne want to kick the ball, which forced them to look at opportunities that weren’t there,” explained Shaw.

“Hence, this butchering the ball or chipping sideways – North want to go long up the line and engage their big blokes.

“The Western Bulldogs’ planning was fantastic.”

Read more at http://www.sen.com.au/news/afl/08-16/robert-shaw-it-was-a-bevo-masterclass#ffTpK2WcrFgiVVVz.99

LostDoggy
08-08-2016, 12:14 AM
Looks to have his fitness and pace back. Very important player for us.

Remi Moses
08-08-2016, 04:33 AM
Thought he was pretty good last night
Tough gig with our poor forward entries

bornadog
26-09-2019, 11:27 AM
Tory turned 32 today and is still without a contract. I thought he had a reasonable 2019, although his body let him down a bit as has been the case over the past 3 years. He managed 17 games for 24 goals.

Should we re-sign him or is his time up?

Mofra
26-09-2019, 12:11 PM
BF rumours are we have a one year deal on the table.

I'm surprised as he's been decent but we really need the list spots given our trade targets.

bulldogtragic
26-09-2019, 12:42 PM
Tory turned 32 today and is still without a contract. I thought he had a reasonable 2019, although his body let him down a bit as has been the case over the past 3 years. He managed 17 games for 24 goals.

Should we re-sign him or is his time up?

Wait and see to the end of the trade period. If we need his spot, well that's it. If we don't, then look at a contract. Or if a club offers him two years as a free agent, he leaves with our blessings.

Axe Man
26-09-2019, 12:54 PM
Wait and see to the end of the trade period. If we need his spot, well that's it. If we don't, then look at a contract. Or if a club offers him two years as a free agent, he leaves with out blessings.

This. I would ideally like to keep him but we may not have the room.

GVGjr
26-09-2019, 01:18 PM
On form he is better than a few others on the list.
If he is healthy then putting a 12 month deal in front of him seems the right approach. If we can get another good year out of him then it strengthens the competition for spots. It's not like we are bottoming out

The challenge for him is that we appear to be very tight for spots on the list

I can see there is a chance that we do a wait and see until after the trade period but it would be a tough call to not offer him a spot

westdog54
26-09-2019, 01:20 PM
On form he is better than a few others on the list.
If he is healthy then putting a 12 month deal in front of him seems the right approach. If we can get another good year out of him then it strengthens the competition for spots. It's not like we are bottoming out

The challenge for him is that we appear to be very tight for spots on the list

I can see there is a chance that we do a wait and see until after the trade period but it would be a tough call to not offer him a spot

Sadly I see him being squeezed out, which is a great shame but the list is very tight at the moment.

Callum Porter is essentially holding the spot I would have given to Tory.

GVGjr
26-09-2019, 01:23 PM
Sadly I see him being squeezed out, which is a great shame but the list is very tight at the moment.

Callum Porter is essentially holding the spot I would have given to Tory.

From a 2020 perspective I'd have Dickson ahead of Jong and a few others

1eyedog
26-09-2019, 02:48 PM
Lloyd is now essentially a fitter, hungrier version of Dickson and is equally clever. I can't see how we sign him given our list squeeze and I'm open to letting him go due to the form of Lloyd and Dale.

westdog54
26-09-2019, 03:39 PM
From a 2020 perspective I'd have Dickson ahead of Jong and a few others

I don't see Jong being at the club next year irrespective of Dickson.

azabob
26-09-2019, 07:59 PM
Lloyd is now essentially a fitter, hungrier version of Dickson and is equally clever. I can't see how we sign him given our list squeeze and I'm open to letting him go due to the form of Lloyd and Dale.

Dickson is a much smarter footballer than Lloyd.
I was a huge fan of Lloyds up until the last quarter of the season. He seemed to be more selfish and I’m not sure his pressure was good enough and his goal kicking dropped away.

For mine we should given Dickson another year.

AshMac
26-09-2019, 08:15 PM
Dickson is a much smarter footballer than Lloyd.
I was a huge fan of Lloyds up until the last quarter of the season. He seemed to be more selfish and I’m not sure his pressure was good enough and his goal kicking dropped away.

For mine we should given Dickson another year.

Agree with This. Lloyd has a great year and bobbed up a lot but he also went missing at times and made mistakes which were avoidable. I short, I think Dicko is a better player.

1eyedog
26-09-2019, 08:22 PM
Dicko had a few good patches through the year but he looks cooked.

Twodogs
26-09-2019, 08:25 PM
Can Dickson and Bruce be in the same team? Is Dickson versatile enough to be a handy back up type for mediums like Lloyd and talls like Bruce?

Personally I think that Bruce coming onto the list is bad news for Tory. He doesn't strictly replace him type for type but he can perform a similar job.

1eyedog
26-09-2019, 08:26 PM
I think its more can Lloyd Dale and Dicko be in the same team?

bulldogtragic
26-09-2019, 08:42 PM

Plus depth of Gowers, Greene, Cavarra and any traded for player.

I doubt it. If he still thinks he has good footy in him I hope he plays on at another club and shows everyone up.

Twodogs
26-09-2019, 08:58 PM
I'd be happy for Dicko to play at Footscray next year and be our goal kicking in his spare time.

Bumper Bulldogs
26-09-2019, 09:55 PM
I'd be happy for Dicko to play at Footscray next year and be our goal kicking in his spare time.

Best idea all year. Now to get Bevo on the same page

GVGjr
27-09-2019, 07:38 AM
I don't see Jong being at the club next year irrespective of Dickson.

So do I but Dickson would command more senior games

GVGjr
27-09-2019, 07:53 AM

Plus depth of Gowers, Greene, Cavarra and any traded for player.

I doubt it. If he still thinks he has good footy in him I hope he plays on at another club and shows everyone up.

Dickson has plenty of competition like so many others for spots in our forward line. You can probably add Wallis to that list as well plus B.Smith will start up forward before rotating through the middle

We have a log jam of mid sized forwards (as we do with defenders) so perhaps the sensible approach from a list perspective is to not offer Dickson a spot but based on last years form he's better than quite a few of them

He had his best year since 2016 and surprisingly strung 17 games together for 24 goals. We would be letting go of a player who can still contribute productively at the senior level but that may be the hard decision that needs to be made

It's a tough business

Bumper Bulldogs
27-09-2019, 09:19 PM
Dickson has plenty of competition like so many others for spots in our forward line. You can probably add Wallis to that list as well plus B.Smith will start up forward before rotating through the middle

He had his best year since 2016 and surprisingly strung 17 games together for 24 goals. We would be letting go of a player who can still contribute productively at the senior level but that may be the hard decision that needs to be made

It's a tough business tough business in dead. But with Morris, Picken and Boyd all retiring this year we could really do with having Dickson running around teaching the younger guys what it takes, how to go about it and playing a role.

If he could mentor Gowers and get though to him, who knows what could happen.

Bullies
27-09-2019, 09:29 PM
Dicko had a few good patches through the year but he looks cooked. Agreed. He is not in the elite that can play on at his age. He has been great for the club but there comes a time and he looked every bit cooked.

Bullies
27-09-2019, 09:34 PM
I think the time has come for Dickson but in saying that I am still not sold on Lloyd. Maybe Porter/Greene/Cavarra.

AndrewP6
28-09-2019, 01:17 AM
I think the time has come for Dickson but in saying that I am still not sold on Lloyd. Maybe Porter/Greene/Cavarra.

You're not sold on Lloyd, despite him topping our goalkickers with 38, but it's a maybe for Porter and Cavarra, neither of whom have played a single game. Huh?

hujsh
28-09-2019, 02:29 AM
You're not sold on Lloyd, despite him topping our goalkickers with 38, but it's a maybe for Porter and Cavarra, neither of whom have played a single game. Huh?

15 game rule

azabob
28-09-2019, 10:50 AM

I’m not sold on Lloyd either being a permanent fix. A few warning signs in the second half of the year.

bornadog
28-09-2019, 01:44 PM
I’m not sold on Lloyd either being a permanent fix. A few warning signs in the second half of the year.

Yeah kicked too many goals :D

Bullies
28-09-2019, 09:47 PM
Hopefully I am proven wrong about Lloyd and he had a good year but I can't see him improving. I wouldn't put him in the same class as Dickson at his peak.

AndrewP6
28-09-2019, 10:11 PM
Hopefully I am proven wrong about Lloyd and he had a good year but I can't see him improving. I wouldn't put him in the same class as Dickson at his peak.

If he stalls at 38 goals a year, I'm OK with that.

bulldogtragic
28-09-2019, 10:24 PM

If he stalls at 38 goals a year, I'm OK with that.

Yeah 38 is fine for me too. I get what you’re saying though Bullies, he’s kicked his best of 3 goals I think on 7-8 occasions. That right now seems his ceiling for some reason whereas peak Tory could kick half a dozen. I think both quoted comments can be right on this. And hopefully he tears some club to absolute shreds next year.

Twodogs
29-09-2019, 08:29 PM
Yeah 38 is fine for me too. I get what you’re saying though Bullies, he’s kicked his best of 3 goals I think on 7-8 occasions. That right now seems his ceiling for some reason whereas peak Tory could kick half a dozen. I think both quoted comments can be right on this. And hopefully he tears some club to absolute shreds next year.

You could look at it that he had a breakout year this year. His figures in 17/18 were fairly ordinary (a total of 11 goals from 15 games in the two years) but played 23 games this year and kicked 38. I'd be happy with that rate each year.

bulldogtragic
29-09-2019, 08:52 PM
You could look at it that he had a breakout year this year. His figures in 17/18 were fairly ordinary (a total of 11 goals from 15 games in the two years) but played 23 games this year and kicked 38. I'd be happy with that rate each year.

I'm happy with him in a forward pocket next year and was happy with him this year. My only gripes is he can be a little too greedy and snaps when simple drop punts will do.

Twodogs
29-09-2019, 08:59 PM
I'm happy with him in a forward pocket next year and was happy with him this year. My only gripes is he can be a little too greedy and snaps when simple drop punts will do.

I love having a player who will have a ping from anywhere. After spending a lifetime watching our guys do almost anything in the forward half do anything other than actually take a shot at goal I will happily take a goal hungry player. Paul Hudson was the last player I remember being confident enough to have a ping from anywhere.

After all he's more chance of kicking a goal if he actually has a shot than the rest of our forward line is by doing anything apart from having a shot.

Rocco Jones
01-10-2019, 12:14 PM
Tough one with Tory. Seems like it really is a numbers game. In short, Webb and Roberts delisted means we have 5 free spots on the senior list. Keath and Bruce in means we have only the minimum 3 heading into the draft. If we want anyone else during the trade period, we either had to actually trade a player or let Dickson go.

Perhaps even being drafted a rookie if he really wants to continue and there are no other takers. Just due to list management reasons.

I don't want to derail this thread but is the minimum amount of draft picks outdated?

soupman
01-10-2019, 12:26 PM
I don't want to derail this thread but is the minimum amount of draft picks outdated?

I think yes.

The reason would surely be to ensure every year 50+ kids get a chance, but considering you can promote rookies to take those spots anyway that reasoning becomes somewhat redundant.

bulldogtragic
02-10-2019, 12:42 PM
Ameet Bains said this morning that Bruce (deep), Naughton (roam/lead) & Schache (endurance up & down the ground) will play together.

Lloyd & Dale have had best years:

HF: Schache Naughton McLen
F: Dale Bruce Lloyd

Hopefully there's a pressure small forward coming this trade period. Then resting mids forward. Plus our small forward depth is West (currently), Williams (maybe), Greene, Cavarra, Gowers & Vandermeer.

Where does this news from Bains leave the uncontracted Tory Dickson?

azabob
02-10-2019, 07:38 PM
Ameet Bains said this morning

Where does this news from Bains leave the uncontracted Tory Dickson?

In the same interview he said unfortunately Tory Dickson has to wait for trade period to be done and dusted before his future is known. I personally believe we have erred in leaving Dickson without a contract.

1eyedog
02-10-2019, 08:09 PM
In the same interview he said unfortunately Tory Dickson has to wait for trade period to be done and dusted before his future is known. I personally believe we have erred in leaving Dickson without a contract.

Why? Where's he going to go? GC? Who else is going to want a crafty but slow 32 year old forward pocket?

azabob
02-10-2019, 09:18 PM
Why? Where's he going to go? GC? Who else is going to want a crafty but slow 32 year old forward pocket?

My read on it is he will be delisted and he should be playing in 2020.

KT31
02-10-2019, 10:10 PM
My read on it is he will be delisted and he should be playing in 2020.

Placing him on the rookie list may be a realistic option.

bulldogtragic
02-10-2019, 10:13 PM

He would need to nominate for the rookie draft and have 11 clubs over look him. After passing up free agency rights if another club was interested.

That’s after delisting Roarke &/or Gardner to have a free spot.

Bulldog Joe
02-10-2019, 10:33 PM

We can also delist and redraft any player on the main list.

I expect any delistings will only be announced after the trade period has ended and we know what list spots are required.

We can also delist a contracted player specifically to redraft so that we have the mandatory 3 spots available.

If another club were to jump in ahead it would remove our obligations as their contract would be taken by the drafting club.

Lin Jong would be someone who would fit in that category.

bulldogtragic
23-10-2019, 11:25 PM
Stevo tweeted 100% lock that Tory Dickson is getting a one year extension.

AshMac
24-10-2019, 08:54 AM
Stevo tweeted 100% lock that Tory Dickson is getting a one year extension.

Pretty happy with this. He’s clearly lost a touch of stamina but he can be so deadly as a stay at home forward and in small bursts is quick and loads on the pressure. If he plays on the 4/5th defender he is a great option as we stream out of the middle.

Mofra
24-10-2019, 09:43 AM
Pretty happy with this. He’s clearly lost a touch of stamina but he can be so deadly as a stay at home forward and in small bursts is quick and loads on the pressure. If he plays on the 4/5th defender he is a great option as we stream out of the middle.
7 goals between a prelim and a granny in 2016. Happy enough to let him run around again given he finished the season off well and we're not exactly flush for smaller forward options.

FrediKanoute
24-10-2019, 06:15 PM
Agree he still has something to offer the team and I expect he will start in the best 22, but fade through the year.

Rocket Science
24-10-2019, 06:50 PM
At risk of plonking carts before horses, if reality matches expectations for 2020 I reckon Dickson is a much more effective/productive piece on a contending team than a middling one.

If Bevo's feeling bullish this is a smart, sensible outcome.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-10-2019, 09:56 PM
Might be on my own but I really think Dicko is done.

Seemed to scrape through on footy smarts this year and did well to hit the scoreboard as much as he did because he was fairly ineffective otherwise.

Always loved how reliable he was, like to see him drop a few kgs next year and hope he proves me wrong.

jeemak
25-10-2019, 12:32 AM

Seemed to scrape through on footy smarts this year and did well to hit the scoreboard as much as he did because he was fairly ineffective otherwise.

Always loved how reliable he was, like to see him drop a few kgs next year and hope he proves me wrong.

I agree that he's looking a bit too robust and think he would benefit from changing his body shape just a touch.

Unlike you though I think he has a bit more to offer if he does do what you're suggesting, he's at a time now where his smarts will always be there but he needs to be able to move across the ground with less stress on his body.

AshMac
25-10-2019, 08:44 AM

50:50 this year I thought. Surely he plays fewer games next year (depending on form and competition for spots) and can fire at the times that matter. Very smart footy player and obviously fantastic user in front of goals

Murphy'sLore
25-10-2019, 03:00 PM
He'd be perfect for the super-sub, like Gia was at the end of his career. Except we don't do that any more.

Rocco Jones
25-10-2019, 09:16 PM
I think a good call give the circumstances.

As Rocket Science mentioned, we are thereabouts meaning you keep a guy who can add value short term. Also, I think being sentimental is logical sometimes. He is a premiership and seems liked by a lot of the players. Not like we have to give that much to keep him on and it sends a good message. Loyalty isn't a one way street. Fans go nuts when a player leaves for better conditions but will be fine with a good servant being delisted. Not saying you just keep everyone but when it's lineball, a good way to build 'goodwill'/culture at a club.

merantau
27-10-2019, 08:33 AM
I think Dicko needs to shed a few kilos. He seems to have slowed down and has lost some agility. At his best he is a very good player.

GVGjr
27-10-2019, 08:58 AM
I think Dicko needs to shed a few kilos. He seems to have slowed down and has lost some agility. At his best he is a very good player.

It's something that a lot of players need to do when they get older. Brian Lake was told to lose weight when he arrived at the Hawks and I remember the Richard Osborne being a very different physical presence at the end of his career just to maintain his pace.

Has Dickson got much to lose anyway?

I don't see him in our best 22 each week for 2020 but he's going to be a more than handy player for us.

S Coast Simon
27-10-2019, 09:08 AM
Dickinson will be just as excited as we are with the new additions. The boys know it will be a strong side next year and hard to break into. They also know it will be a lot more enjoyable to not be chasing tail all day. I think we might find Tory primed and fit for a good year. Might not play all the game time but will be quality goal kicking when he gets his chance. Three big boys to run around causing havoc just might be perfect for our sharp shooter to clean up around them. I would be pretty excited if I was a small forward at the club.

Axe Man
17-12-2019, 03:59 PM
Tory was the most accurate goal kicker in the AFL over the past decade (minimum 200 shots). He was also our leading goal kicker of the decade with 181. Big Bad Bazza and Gia also make the top five for accuracy. Not bad considering how poor our goal kicking has been at times. We didn't have anyone in the 5 least accurate either. Link (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/best-forwards-of-the-decade-leading-goalscorers-most-accurate-goalkickers/news-story/3894e4d1bff9494aca41c05f9391c416)

MOST ACCURATE (MINIMUM 200 SHOTS AT GOAL) – TORY DICKSON 64.0%
He has been on the outer in recent seasons but Bulldog Tory Dickson is the decade’s resident deadeye.

In his prime the sharpshooting forward couldn’t miss, booting an accurate 50 goals and just 12 behinds in 2015. He followed it up the next year with another impressive goalkicking tally of 40.17.

Dicksons pinpoint accuracy of 64 per cent is the highest of any forward from 2010-2019 who has taken more than 200 shots on goal, pipping Jay Schultz (62.2%), Barry Hall (61.9%), Daniel Giansiracusa (61.2%) and Luke Breust (61%).