PDA

View Full Version : Roberts and Howard Sign New Deals

Cyberdoggie
18-10-2013, 01:41 PM
"The Western Bulldogs have moved to secure their list by signing youngsters Christian Howard and Fletcher Roberts to new contracts.

The club has confirmed to AFL.com.au the deals were done in-season, a boost for the team's future.

Roberts has agreed to a two-year deal, and the club hopes the 20-year old swingman can make the most of a big pre-season.

"We see him as an emerging key position player whether it be back or forward," Bulldogs list manger Jason McCartney told AFL.com.au.

"He had a really good year in 2012, predominately as a key defender at VFL level, with some good games in the finals up forward.

Obviously this year he was a bit restricted. He had a few soft tissue injury concerns, nothing major but we do think he's a very good prospect for us.

"It was really good to get him to commit again for another couple of years. He just needs to get his body right and get a good pre-season in."

McCartney believes Roberts has the raw talent to play AFL, but needs to build strength over the summer.

"His football is good enough, and obviously he'll keep making improvements on that. He just needs to have his body stand up and get that full pre-season.

"We think we've got a good quality player on our hands."

Howard signed a one-year contract, after playing just one senior game in 2013.

"He was troubled by some hip complaints towards the latter part of the season, probably did labour through the last third of the year," McCartney said.

"He's had a successful operation on that and will get back in time to get a really good pre-season in."

Dylan Addison remains out of contract, with the free agent's playing future yet to be resolved."

From the AFL website:
Bulldogs shore up list with new deals (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-18/bulldogs-shoreup-list-with-fresh-deals)

Personally Roberts I can understand, he's got talent, but regardless of injury, Howard's decision making and huge bluders at VFL level should of been enough to move him on.
He was far worse than others that have been shown the door.

F'scary
18-10-2013, 01:46 PM
Hope it works out for Howard but he is a long way behind a number of others now in the pecking order.

bulldogsthru&thru
18-10-2013, 01:56 PM
2 years for Roberts is a really promising sign. Must mean we really rate him. Promising future with great potential for this kid

SlimPickens
18-10-2013, 02:00 PM
Like Roberts, think he will develop into a player.

Howard would be wrapped to get another year.

LostDoggy
18-10-2013, 02:50 PM
It's a cliche I know but talls do take a long time to develop. Roberts has talent and skill but obviously his body is still adjusting to the demands of AFL and he still has lots of physical development ahead of him. I think he's got a good understanding of the game and potential to become a good swing player in time. Club must rate him highly to give him another two years.

Howard is an interesting one. Captain obvious but this guy needs a big uninterrupted pre-season and then some solid improvement for Footscray. I think I remember hearing that Macca really likes this guy and sees a good scope for improvement??

Greystache
18-10-2013, 03:17 PM
Roberts had a disappointing season, but showed a huge amount of promise in 2012. I like him in defence personally and would like to see him play there most of next year.

Howard, well I don't really understand other than we may want to load up on next year's draft. With Cross gone he could the worst kick at the club.

Mofra
18-10-2013, 03:30 PM
I can't understand how there was some concern in signing Grant for 2 years yet none at all for Roberts.

Now, Roberts has shown signs and "potential" - but he's struggling to get through a VFL season without pulling up sore. I can live with him getting two years (I assume he's on AFL base wages), bewildered at Howard getting another year, and staggered at the possibility we'll give Redpath another year even as a rookie.

Is this draft that bad that we're avoiding taking anyone past round 3?

Bulldog Joe
18-10-2013, 03:52 PM
I can't understand how there was some concern in signing Grant for 2 years yet none at all for Roberts.

Now, Roberts has shown signs and "potential" - but he's struggling to get through a VFL season without pulling up sore. I can live with him getting two years (I assume he's on AFL base wages), bewildered at Howard getting another year, and staggered at the possibility we'll give Redpath another year even as a rookie.

Roberts has had 2 years while Grant has had 6.

Additionally Roberts was a late starter in his 1st year being taken PSD and injury interrupted a large slice of his 2nd year.

I am certainly comfortable with 2 years for Roberts at this point.

bulldogtragic
18-10-2013, 04:08 PM
Macca must see a premiership in this list.

I don't, but I'm not coach.

azabob
18-10-2013, 04:10 PM
Macca must see a premiership in this list.

I don't, but I'm not coach.

Or a list manager :)

If the draft is shallow, I am not sure of the point of delisting a whole bunch of players only to replace them with players who need to be signed to two year deals, especially when the indication is next years crop is better than this years.

bulldogtragic
18-10-2013, 04:21 PM
Or a list manager :)

If the draft is shallow, I am not sure of the point of delisting a whole bunch of players only to replace them with players who need to be signed to two year deals, especially when the indication is next years crop is better than this years.
The easy answer is they see what I don't. Grant has to threaten to leave to get 2 years while Roberts is handed 2. Howard... Whatever, he must be a great guy and train hard because I not see anything. I hope we cut most rookies too.

Remember though, drafting is an inexact science. It would be foolhardy to say next years draft is better so we won't use picks this year. If you draft right you can pick up a Dahlhaus at effectively pick 100. Say the draft is weaker, say then pick 70. But as I say, Macca sees something in Howard many don't.

azabob
18-10-2013, 04:27 PM
The easy answer is they see what I don't. Grant has to threaten to leave to get 2 years while Roberts is handed 2. Howard... Whatever, he must be a great guy and train hard because I not see anything. I hope we cut most rookies too.

Remember though, drafting is an inexact science. It would be foolhardy to say next years draft is better so we won't use picks this year. If you draft right you can pick up a Dahlhaus at effectively pick 100. Say the draft is weaker, say then pick 70. But as I say, Macca sees something in Howard many don't.

It appears with the guys in charge now attitude has a lot to do with it all. Majority of posters have thought Howard is very lucky to get another year.

Roberts is the interesting one, a few posters who go to the VFL have high hopes for him, but it appears injuries have got the best of him to date.

I don't think the rookies will get cut, even though they perhaps should.

Will be very interesting indeed.

G-Mo77
18-10-2013, 04:27 PM
Happy to lock in Roberts for 2. Hopefully he'll have an injury free 2014.

Happy Days
18-10-2013, 04:45 PM

Yeah good call.

Is Roberts really that good that he'd scoff at one year and go out to an all out bidding war on the open market? Remember that all 18 clubs passed on him already at least 3 times and he hasn't really done much to make them regret it.

He's shown potential at VFL level but *if* he stagnates this year he would have been lucky to survive the 14-15 offseason.

Howard is just...damn.

Ozza
18-10-2013, 04:47 PM

I guess the biggest differences are that Roberts is a 20 year old key position player, Grant is 24, and a bit more non-descript. Roberts would attract immediate interest from the likes of a St.Kilda, who depserately need to build some tall defender stocks for their future. GWS also.

GVGjr
18-10-2013, 04:48 PM
We are obviously looking at Roberts over the longer term given a lot of bigger guys take that extra time. The concern is that he has trouble staying injury free. Hopefully that is behind him now.

Howard has another 12 months to impress. He's probably a bit lucky but I doubt it's a huge risk for us.

Nuggety Back Pocket
18-10-2013, 05:20 PM
We are obviously looking at Roberts over the longer term given a lot of bigger guys take that extra time. The concern is that he has trouble staying injury free. Hopefully that is behind him now.

Howard has another 12 months to impress. He's probably a bit lucky but I doubt it's a huge risk for us.

You would like to think that Roberts is about to emerge into a quality key position player of quality which we desperately need. Howard must be on his last chance and as an early draft pick has been disappointing.

The Bulldogs Bite
18-10-2013, 05:51 PM
It's strange that we haven't announced our stance on the current rookies.

Maddog37
18-10-2013, 07:32 PM
It would be nice to have an off season where we do not have to cut and burn the list on a wholesale basis to feel like we are making progress. I personally am happy to be guided by what the club does with player selection and would rather give people a genuine go at making a career in the AFL as opposed to being tantalized by what's in the box.

Before I Die
18-10-2013, 08:12 PM

Why do you want to cut most rookies?

Jong has great athleticism and endeavor but needs to develop his skills. Plus he has had a bad injury. Why wouldn't you give him a bit more time?
Greenwood looked very promising in 2012 but had injury concerns this year. He also won't show his full potential until he has a chance to build some bulk. Why wouldn't you give him some more time?
Austin finished off the year in the AFL very well, why wouldn't you retain him?
Redpath I am not so sure about, but I didn't see him play as a key defender in the VFL. Perhaps the coaches saw some serious promise?

I know we have had some rookie success, but we have had more rookie misses. I think these boys have the potential to be a bumper crop if given a bit more time.

Back on thread, I haven't seen Macca make a wrong call yet, so I am very happy to give him the benefit of the doubt on Howard.

Bulldog4life
18-10-2013, 08:18 PM
Congrats to both lads. Hopefully a big year for both of them.

LostDoggy
18-10-2013, 10:16 PM
Back on thread, I haven't seen Macca make a wrong call yet, so I am very happy to give him the benefit of the doubt on Howard.

This. Since he's been at the Club Howie really hasn't had a good run at it (ie. hips in first couple of years, I think he did his ankle Rd 1 2012 and other troubles since). BMac hasn't put a foot wrong and I wouldn't be surprised if Howard ended up playing 100 games for us, simply because BMac said he could.

OLD SCRAGGer
19-10-2013, 11:27 AM
The Roberts 2 years extension is OLD NEWS!! Fletcher announced it himself in Social Club at last game Sept 1st :D

jeemak
20-10-2013, 02:55 AM
Glad Fletcher is getting a new deal for two years. I really hope his and our luck turns around and he can get a good run at it. We need him to put pressure on the senior team, and earn a spot.

Likewise Howard. I have been a bit of a defender of his output, but like most I think he's pretty lucky to find himself in the position he is in earning another one year deal. If we were one year ahead from where we are in our development he'd be rookied, at best.

He's only 22, he's had a terrible development phase due to injuries and he needs everything to go right. I'm in the camp that thinks he can make it.

Mofra
20-10-2013, 12:59 PM
Roberts has had 2 years while Grant has had 6.

Additionally Roberts was a late starter in his 1st year being taken PSD and injury interrupted a large slice of his 2nd year.

I am certainly comfortable with 2 years for Roberts at this point.
The old adage of "it's better to be young than good" on the internet reigns true.

I think Fletcher has potential to be AFL standard, but Grant is AFL standard. For mine that's a very, very important difference.

Dazza
20-10-2013, 07:20 PM
I rate Roberts quite highly. Plays well at VFL level and showed poise at AFL level when he was given a chance. Rate his ball use and footy nous.

Only a young guy. Probably would have been given more of a run this year if it weren't for injuries.

Bulldog Joe
21-10-2013, 11:05 PM
The old adage of "it's better to be young than good" on the internet reigns true.

I think Fletcher has potential to be AFL standard, but Grant is AFL standard. For mine that's a very, very important difference.

Grant has played plenty of his 58 AFL games at far below the required standard.
While Roberts remains in the potential category, potential does require time and 2 years for Roberts looks about right to give him the opportunity to realise that potential.