PDA

View Full Version : Induction for new players

always right
25-10-2013, 10:38 AM
I noticed a comment by a poster on the Bigfooty forum relating to our fight back from extinction back in 1989. He spoke of the induction he assumes players go through when they join our club and whether the fight back is mentioned as part of the induction considering it largely defines who we are and what values we hold.

I got me wondering about the induction process at our club. Does anyone know what it covers beyond topical housekeeping type issues? I'd love our website to do a video on a typical induction but focus in what the club's history is and importantly the values we hold dear. We don't have the premiership history of other clubs so it is really important that players understand what it means to be part of this club, what has made the club what it is.....and of course what we want it to be. Recruiting Crameri from a club with so much premiership success, started me thinking about this topic.

bornadog
25-10-2013, 10:42 AM
I don't know much about what we do, but I do know the Swans have a great induction programme for new players. I heard Brett Kirk (I think from memory), talk about it and it seemed the culture and bonding at that club was fantastic.

It would be great to know more about ours, as I hope Stew is not just here for the money.

KT31
25-10-2013, 10:51 AM
Good topic AR, would love to see our video induction.
The fight back was a huge part of our history and agree it should be on the video but I hope it focuses more on how we have been on the brink the last twenty years that we want them to be the ones to takes us to the ultimate success.

Eastdog
25-10-2013, 10:15 PM
Some moving video of how our fans saved our club. I was born in 1989 so obviously don't remember the fightback but I'm so grateful that they didn't give up because without there efforts we wouldn't have a club today.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg34yG0OE2g

LongWait
25-10-2013, 10:19 PM
Great thread always right - have you asked the club what we do? We are getting pretty good at video production, so it wouldn't be beyond the club (maybe with some help from Vic Uni) to get a great video package together.

always right
26-10-2013, 04:43 PM
Great thread always right - have you asked the club what we do? We are getting pretty good at video production, so it wouldn't be beyond the club (maybe with some help from Vic Uni) to get a great video package together.

Think I'll shoot something through to the club for them to consider.

josie
26-10-2013, 06:30 PM
Some moving video of how our fans saved our club. I was born in 1989 so obviously don't remember the fightback but I'm so grateful that they didn't give up because without there efforts we wouldn't have a club today.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg34yG0OE2g

Super video Eastdog, thanks for posting this.

I had pleasure to sit next to the passionate & endearing Irene Chatfield at a Club Function in mid 2000's and was told by other ladies sitting at table she was famous for "saving the Dogs".

I enjoyed watching "Year of the Dog" movie a few months ago, which mentions the Fightback campaign, however did not know of this video.

Great to see vision of a young Peter Gordon too as well as all those mullets and 80's hairdos.

Highly recommended viewing for all supporters & new players. Bought a tear to my eye.

The bulldog tragician
26-10-2013, 08:17 PM
Bob Murphy slips letters to new recruits telling them what the club means. I hope there is a way to harness Bobs unique love and feel for the club when the dreadful day comes that he retires, but footage of a great speech he gave (team of the century?) should definitely be part of an induction package.

Ghost Dog
26-10-2013, 09:39 PM
Good thread. I think Essendon's ill fated foray into supplements has highlighted that premiership glory isn't something you can continually use to argue the merits of your club. We are always improving and really proud to be a Bulldogs man.
Like the ideas in the first post.

Bulldog Revolution
27-10-2013, 08:13 AM
The club also does a recruit and family day with players, their parents, siblings etc at which they get tours, talks etc.

That looked a good initiative last year to welcome more than just the player

Topdog
27-10-2013, 08:51 AM
Why does Bob have that love? Did he even support the club as a child?

azabob
27-10-2013, 09:50 AM

Only Robert Murphy and those close to him can answer that question.

No he didn't support the club.

I guess some people are just like that. They give their heart and soul to something. Probably also has something to do with his artistic side.

What I do know is he was there when we had second rate facilities etc and he most likely saw and appreciated how hard the club worked to get the facilities up to scratch.

comrade
27-10-2013, 10:45 AM
Only Robert Murphy and those close to him can answer that question.

No he didn't support the club.

I guess some people are just like that. They give their heart and soul to something. Probably also has something to do with his artistic side.

What I do know is he was there when we had second rate facilities etc and he most likely saw and appreciated how hard the club worked to get the facilities up to scratch.

I seem to recall a story regarding a tree stump or block of wood that he salvaged from the existing facilities as a reminder of where the club has come from. Anyone remember the details?

The bulldog tragician
27-10-2013, 11:30 AM
I seem to recall a story regarding a tree stump or block of wood that he salvaged from the existing facilities as a reminder of where the club has come from. Anyone remember the details?

I remember that too. Surely a book of bob's articles would be a great initiative by the club? As to why he loves us .. He's a true romantic, a dreamer, he's Irish ..he's just a guy you can't imagine at any other club. It is so cruel to think he almost certainly won't end as a bulldogs premiership player.

Mofra
27-10-2013, 11:34 AM
It was used to smash blocks of ice into crushed ice to use on wounds - it had been at the club for decades and the players decided to keep it as a reminder when the new facilities were opened.

BornInDroopSt'54
27-10-2013, 02:50 PM

Isn't Bob the son of a priest and nun? That would suggest faith, devotion and higher order thinking are in the blood.

ledge
27-10-2013, 03:23 PM
They also kept a bell they used toUse to call all Players to start training,don't know if it's still used to
Keep the history going but I know they kept it.