PDA

View Full Version : Draft winners Draft losers

Remi Moses
25-10-2013, 04:42 PM
Just thought I'd put it out there
For mine Carlton ( got Hampson out for overs) Everitt for a decent deal( lost a few draft positions) Docherty( a steal)
Collingwood( rebuilding on the run , draft position outstanding! How they got pick 6 still baffles me
Stkilda( read our play book from 12 months ago) needed draft picks urgently

Losers Brisbane ( grand sale grand grand sale)big hurt coming
Going to be controversial and put the Dees up.
Reckon they could have got better for pick 2!

bulldogtragic
25-10-2013, 04:48 PM
I agree with the winners. But I would add the Dees in, I think they've done very well and will improve quite quickly on the back of this trade period. GWS did well too.

Brisbane just got screwed.

Sedat
25-10-2013, 04:49 PM
From a list management perspective, I really liked what GWS did. They get picks 1, 2 and 14 in a thin draft that has real quality at the top end, they also picked up premiership big bodied brute ruckman and premiership running half back, both of whom have minimum 4 years at or near the top of their game. They also got a talented young mid/forward to slip through to the PSD who has spent the past couple of years being groomed by the Swans. They lose Tyson and Adams, both of whom will be losses but who were not likely to stay when initially drafted, and Darley/Edwards/Aylett/Bruce, who are all speculative selections at this stage of their careers.

Their work behind the scenes on Jed Lamb was very smart, as was their ability to extract themselves into the Jared Polec trade and manage to improve their draft position from 21 to 14 in the process (still not sure how they managed to do this). They also avoided the Lance Franklin conundrum, a player they didn't really need from an on-field perspective, but one who would have swallowed up their cap space for the next 6 years which would have resulted in more talented players leaving in the next 2-3 years.

azabob
25-10-2013, 06:23 PM
Agree on GWS but surely they lose points for picking up Josh Hunt? ;)

LostDoggy
25-10-2013, 06:36 PM
We weren't too active ourselves, but I'd put us in the winners' column. A genuinely quality forward who's led the goalkicking for 3 consecutive years at his previous club, and is about to hit his peak as a footballer, for a second round pick and a young, talented rebounding half-back for nothing. Sounds pretty good to me.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
25-10-2013, 07:10 PM
I think the Saints can potentially look back on this period as being crucial in their rebuild.
Losing McEvoy may hurt in the short term but they know that they are in for pain in 2014 & 2015 at least. Longer, if he develops should be ready when they are pushing for finals again. Savage will be a steady contributor.
Bruce and Delaney, at least on paper attend to their key defensive shortcomings and if not their long term answers gives them some tactical coverage until they can find replacements.
The big gamble is making sure they use the 3 top 25 picks they have to good effect. If they do then this will be seen as a great foundation for them in years to come.

On us, I think we've been circumspect and focused in our dealings. I would've liked to have seen us try to get back into the 2nd round somehow, but Im guessing we explored that but were unable to do it at a price we were willing to pay.

A Ford
25-10-2013, 07:21 PM
Can't call Carlton a big winner when swapping like for like duds in Hampson and Everitt's. 0-0 draw.
Still haven't got the tall defender/forward they need.
Daisy is a good get but possibly injured, Docherty unproven and not what they really needed.
Lost a proven goal kicker in Betts.

Saints did better but are coming from a long way back.

bornadog
25-10-2013, 08:02 PM
In the end Brisbane will have five picks in the top 34, apparently a record, but lost a few kids they put lots of effort into.

Maddog37
25-10-2013, 08:11 PM
In the end Brisbane will have five picks in the top 34, apparently a record, but lost a few kids they put lots of effort into.

Or not much effort depending on who you listen to/read.

mighty_west
25-10-2013, 08:14 PM

Richmond had 5 picks in the 2004 top 20.

Maddog37
25-10-2013, 08:16 PM
Richmond had 5 picks in the 2004 top 20.

How did that turn out for them......?:p

mighty_west
25-10-2013, 08:25 PM
How did that turn out for them......?:p

Horribly brilliant :D

On a side note, Tambling has somehow survived the cut from the Crows.

bulldogtragic
25-10-2013, 08:31 PM

Was @thelistmanager responsible for that?

LostDoggy
26-10-2013, 01:33 PM
Think we played it beautifully. I would expect us to be much more aggressive next year as the draft caliber will be significantly better. Would think we will definitely want to try and generate some additional 1st and second round picks.

(Or trade Patton in...sorry, sorry can't resist..)

bornadog
26-10-2013, 02:23 PM
Think we played it beautifully. I would expect us to be much more aggressive next year as the draft caliber will be significantly better. Would think we will definitely want to try and generate some additional 1st and second round picks.

What indications are there it will be better?

G-Mo77
26-10-2013, 02:31 PM
What indications are there it will be better?

Without going into talent because I know nothing about the under 18's the next draft will be uncompromised so it will be much deeper than previous years.

Throughandthrough
26-10-2013, 02:38 PM

Still a few more cuts to be announced at the crows

LostDoggy
26-10-2013, 04:20 PM
Callinan and the re-rookied bloke from last year (name escapes me) got the arse today.

Maddog37
26-10-2013, 08:22 PM
Shame Callinan did not get to the AFL at a younger age. He is quite talented IMHO.

craigsahibee
27-10-2013, 01:18 AM

I agree.

I think we can develop our younger guys further this year and create the possibility of trading out possibly Shaun Higgins, providing he has an uninterrupted and fruitful year, for a late first round or early second round pick.

Whilst Shaun is skillful and talented, he is not exceptional but will generate interest amongst other clubs.

I am a huge fan of Shaun's and would dearly love to see him succeed with us, but as they say, you must give up something good to get something good (remember, we aren't the Bombers) and I think with a good season under his belt, Shaun could be the bait.

With an exceptional season under his belt, KEEP HIM.

Topdog
27-10-2013, 09:02 AM
I agree.

I think we can develop our younger guys further this year and create the possibility of trading out possibly Shaun Higgins, providing he has an uninterrupted and fruitful year, for a late first round or early second round pick.

We would be lucky to get an early 3rd round pick for him. He has done far less than Crameri and has less upside than any of the Brisbane players traded. No defensive skills.

Ghost Dog
27-10-2013, 02:17 PM
Well why is he still on our list if he has no defensive skills?

chef
27-10-2013, 02:21 PM
He does have defensive skills, but IMO he's just a bit lazy.

Hopefully the increased completion for spots may take this out of his games and if it does we'll have quite a good player.

Ghost Dog
27-10-2013, 02:34 PM
Is it that, or he has restricted movement owing to injuries?

One thing is for sure. For a while there we had a chain gang of guys where were constantly teasing
but not delivering in games. Josh Hill, Stack, Easton Wood, Higgins, Jarrod Grant,Liam Jones and so on.
Now it's at the stage where they have either lifted their game or have been moved on.
Where Shaun Higgins sits is a bit of an unknown, but Brendan has a lot of faith in him, so I guess we are sticking with him for another round.

Hotdog60
27-10-2013, 02:40 PM
I reckon he's never been 100% since he did his elbow all those seasons back. Always seems to carrying something.

mighty_west
28-02-2014, 10:21 PM
According to Mark Stevens, murmurs about Dayle Garletts career in jeopardy at the Hawks, sounds like a real bad egg if true.

bulldogtragic
28-02-2014, 10:27 PM
According to Mark Stevens, murmurs about Dayle Garletts career in jeopardy at the Hawks, sounds like a real bad egg if true.

The drums are getting louder... When he's 40, I think he'll be begging for the opportunity to talk to his younger self. A career, jobs afterwards and enough cash to set yourself up for life... the opportunity for this doesn't happen to many people in this industry. A lifetime of regrets would be a pretty miserable existence.

GVGjr
28-02-2014, 10:56 PM

I'm not sure he is a bad egg. He is possibly closer to being a slow learner and immature bit either way he doesn't have the focus required to be an elite footballer at the moment.

mighty_west
28-02-2014, 11:25 PM
I'm not sure he is a bad egg. He is possibly closer to being a slow learner and immature bit either way he doesn't have the focus required to be an elite footballer at the moment.

He would want to start pulling his head in, I guess we are all different but at his age I was at college full time plus ran my own small business and was playing sport, if a club like Hawthorn are almost saying enough is enough, there must be something seriously not quite right with him.

On the other side of the fence you'd have a young Dale Morris being rejected but continually refusing to go out with his mates to focus 100% on living his dream of playing AFL.

Remi Moses
01-03-2014, 03:29 AM
It's all well and good in the current climate to trot out he's just a kid line, but he's been front and centre telling the world he learnt a lesson not getting drafted in 2012.
For mine clubs invest a lot of time effort and money on drafted players and the damage re. Sponsorship and brand can hurt clubs ( particular like ours)

The Underdog
01-03-2014, 09:29 AM
At his age I was doing a Bachelor of Arts and had quit football to concentrate on drinking. I guess he's closer to my end of the spectrum than yours and Dale Morris'.
Some of us are equipped to deal with the way things work early on, some of us take a while and some never figure it out at all. Hopefully he figures it out and makes a career for himself, but in the end he has to do what's best for him. If it is quitting professional football to move home and play WAFL, that's what it is. There'll be a Dale Morris to move up and take his place on the production line.

BornInDroopSt'54
01-03-2014, 10:55 AM
It's all well and good in the current climate to trot out he's just a kid line, but he's been front and centre telling the world he learnt a lesson not getting drafted in 2012.
For mine clubs invest a lot of time effort and money on drafted players and the damage re. Sponsorship and brand can hurt clubs ( particular like ours)
Slow developers can be the best like wine and concrete, the slower the development the better. Jesus Christ did nothing til he was thirty. Bernie Quinlan and even Johnno were at their best around thirty, regardless of reasons to Garlett.
Garlett is clearly very immature but he is owning it by approaching the coach and senior staff, a very brave thing to do. It's always scary to come out about your shortcomings.

ledge
01-03-2014, 12:07 PM
I think it's a spin he has come out, the club would know by catching him out or seeing his devotion isn't there.
The club would know where he is at, they are the ones watching his progression and knowing his previous record. My thoughts are the club has pulled him into the office told him to start doing what he is paid for and pull his head in.
His agent and the club would have got together and said let's put this story forward, which is kind of true, he is struggling but it's more he can't help his other ways.

Happy Days
01-03-2014, 12:08 PM
I am his age and I suck, so I empathise with his situation. It takes an enormous amount of emotional maturity to give up a large degree of your social life to dedicate yourself entirely to a dream that statistics reflect you probably won't achieve.

Having said that it would be deeply disappointing if he makes nothing of his opportunity.

1eyedog
01-03-2014, 12:22 PM

Look this is simply not true. He is struggling with the demands of football he's not a bad egg as you put it.

He would want to start pulling his head in, I guess we are all different but at his age I was at college full time plus ran my own small business and was playing sport, if a club like Hawthorn are almost saying enough is enough, there must be something seriously not quite right with him.

On the other side of the fence you'd have a young Dale Morris being rejected but continually refusing to go out with his mates to focus 100% on living his dream of playing AFL.

Good for you that you were able to achieve so much so young, but everyone is different and I'm not sure about your background but Dayle did it pretty tough at times.

bornadog
01-03-2014, 01:29 PM
I am his age and I suck, so I empathise with his situation. It takes an enormous amount of emotional maturity to give up a large degree of your social life to dedicate yourself entirely to a dream that statistics reflect you probably won't achieve.

Having said that it would be deeply disappointing if he makes nothing of his opportunity.

Lets not forget it is probably 3 times as hard for an indigenous person in this country of ours which is not short of racism and hate.

I hope he can make something of himself, and make his people proud.