PDA

View Full Version : Lets Discuss - Brett Goodes

GVGjr
28-10-2013, 10:33 PM
Drafted as a rookie and after impressing the coaches all pre-season Goodes had a terrific start to last season especially his first 3 games being elevated from the rookie list. His skills and decision making were spot on.

12 months on and things aren't quite as clear now on how Goodes will be used. He will still be used as a defender but with Johannisen, Young and even Austin also making the most of their chances last year it would appear that Goodes will once again have to impress the coaches over the summer.

I suspect Goodes will still be very much in the mix on selection days but I have a view that he should remain on the rookie list to try and open spots on the primary list prior to the PSD.
That being said, if there isn't a player available that we want we can always elevate Goodes again.

What role do you see Goodes being used at next season? Is he right in the mix for senior games?

LostDoggy
28-10-2013, 11:00 PM
To be honest, I would prefer to see the young guys get a go first with Goodes as back up on the rookie list.

I like what he does but it's a question of what's best for the future.

GVGjr
28-10-2013, 11:05 PM
To be honest, I would prefer to see the young guys get a go first with Goodes as back up on the rookie list.

I like what he does but it's a question of what's best for the future.

While it's obviously a balancing act, lets not underestimate the advantages of winning games of football. If Goodes is in great form then I think he should be played.

boydogs
28-10-2013, 11:32 PM
Goodes could actually improve, in some ways he will be just a 2nd year player. He could be our main man for kickouts in 2014.

Reigning Maddogs
28-10-2013, 11:43 PM
Should only play in the event that we are likely to get beaten thoroughly, ie against top 4 teams or when Morris, Murph are missing from the team. JJ has gone past him and Darley/Picken will also be playing for that same spot in the team. We should be playing for the future and aiming for another 8 wis next year.

Go_Dogs
29-10-2013, 12:07 AM
I find him a really interesting player for next year.

At his best, he offers us a lot. He's a good mark and reader of the play, his disposal can be good, albeit perhaps a little hit and miss over the course of last season, and he really brings a hard, physical edge to his attack on ball and player.

I'm interested to see where we look to play him next year, as although off the back half seems the most likely spot, I wonder if he could also push further up the field and perhaps even take a small rotation in the middle and up forward.

I tend to agree that he should be retained on the rookie list for our overall list management strategy but I still see him playing quite a bit of football next season as we juggle the aging Murphy, along with the younger blokes in JJ and Darley who we'll look at to play the more creative roles down back.

On balance his first season was pretty good, especially taking into account his injury run and that it was his first year of senior footy. I'm hoping he can step it up again and end up delivering us another 3 years of solid performances.

always right
29-10-2013, 09:19 AM
If his form justifies it...he plays. Don't agree that JJ has gone past him...yet.

Hotdog60
29-10-2013, 09:25 AM
Could Darley push Goodes out? Been in the system for 3 years so he should be up for AFL footy straight away and is suppose to a good kick so may end up the designated kicker. Goodes may stay on as a Rookie but his opportunities may be less.

GVGjr
29-10-2013, 09:26 AM
If his form justifies it...he plays. Don't agree that JJ has gone past him...yet.

You're probably right but I think Johannisen can play on the smaller types where Goodes is better on the mid sized players.

I think Goodes should be a valuable player but he does have some competition to hold his spot in the best 22/25.

1eyedog
29-10-2013, 09:50 AM
You're probably right but I think Johannisen can play on the smaller types where Goodes is better on the mid sized players.

I think Goodes should be a valuable player but he does have some competition to hold his spot in the best 22/25.

I don't think JJ has gone 'past' him so to speak as both have been playing AFL level football for the same amount of time. Sure Goodes is the more experienced player against men and has a stronger body but JJ offers more rebound and is just as good by foot. I reckon they're in about the same place and competing for the same position and if it was a matter of choice you would choose JJ given his age profile.

If Wood is fit and Darley and Macrae rotate through the season I'm not sure I see a spot in the team for Goodes. He is servicable but is he really going to mean the difference between loses and bad loses? If there was no Murphy / Morris down back I would say that Goodes is an immediate selection but all of Goodes, Murphy and Morris are very near the end and it is critical now that we get games into Darley, Wood, Macrae and JJ before the mass exodus down back leaves us terribly inexperienced.

To me there are two spots up for grabs down back and five players vying for a place in Goodes / Darley / Wood / Macrae / JJ. It has become more difficult to find alternatives for Wood and Goodes given that we have shored up the forward line now have a deep midfield.

I would play JJ and Wood as first preference and rotate Macrae and Darley.

bornadog
29-10-2013, 09:55 AM
I would play JJ and Wood as first preference and rotate Macrae and Darley.

This is something I don't agree on. I really don't like Wood in the backline. He doesn't defend well, he doesn't get much of the ball and his decision making really lacks. I think Goodes is way ahead of Wood and had a great season (bar injuries of course).

As for 2014, Goodes should continue as part of the best 22 but we should be blooding Darley and JJ to take over that small backman role. JJ has alot to learn but really improved in 2013. As for Wood, he should be played as an attacking wingman.

GVGjr
29-10-2013, 09:59 AM
Great post 1eyedog.

I'm interested in why you believe Wood is the better option even allowing for the development part you explained.

MrMahatma
29-10-2013, 10:01 AM
Like his hardness. Like his reading of the play. Butchers it too much.

On balance though, he probably plays most games this season for balance. Not many heavy hitters in the team. Hopefully 2nd year he'll improve.

His disposal efficiency may improve as the team's running patterns improve.

GVGjr
29-10-2013, 10:01 AM
This is something I don't agree on. I really don't like Wood in the backline. He doesn't defend well, he doesn't get much of the ball and his decision making really lacks. I think Goodes is way ahead of Wood and had a great season (bar injuries of course).

As for 2014, Goodes should continue as part of the best 22 but we should be blooding Darley and JJ to take over that small backman role. JJ has alot to learn but really improved in 2013. As for Wood, he should be played as an attacking wingman.

BAD, would you upgrade Goodes to the primary list or maintain him as a rookie?

1eyedog
29-10-2013, 10:02 AM

I am also suspect on Wood as a backman but there's competition on a wing as well with Cooney playing there at times last season, Hrovat, Tutt and Young. Macca has shown a preference to play the new kids so if we get Aish, Billings or Scharenberg they'll get a handful of games this year as well.

Maybe Wood gets pushed out but my point still stands in that JJ plays before Goodes and if not available then Macrae and Darley rotate the spot. I doubt this will happen because Macca seems intent on playing him when fit.

Mofra
29-10-2013, 10:04 AM
Could Darley push Goodes out? Been in the system for 3 years so he should be up for AFL footy straight away and is suppose to a good kick so may end up the designated kicker.
Evenytually I'd think so, but Goodes is best 22 this year and probably 2015 too.

I'd upgrade him to the senior list - with Murph playing a floating role, Goodes is one of our two genuine rebounders (and JJ seems the sort of kid who will take years before his body is ready to play a full season in the seniors).

I'd not sold on Young as a genuine rebounder and think he'll need to develop his "lockdown" side if he wants to be best 22 in coming years, taking a Hargrave/Morris type role where he can play tall or short.

Still happy with both as value picks.

stefoid
29-10-2013, 10:05 AM
Very handy depth player.

I think he is consistent enough to have on the main list, although for list management reasons, I could see Jmac leaving him as a rookie.

Mofra
29-10-2013, 10:06 AM
I am also suspect on Wood as a backman but there's competition on a wing as well with Cooney playing there at times last season, Hrovat, Tutt and Young.
The problem with Wood is he's a "straight line" defender - he crashes through or crashes. He doesn't seem to get enough of the ball to call himself a genuine rebounder, although he's an amazing athlete.

1eyedog
29-10-2013, 10:12 AM
Great post 1eyedog.

I'm interested in why you believe Wood is the better option even allowing for the development part you explained.

It's because I have been very excited by the way Wood carries the ball and is prepared to take the opposition on and this type of player is so valuable to get the ball outside of opposition structures. He's raw and a bit of a straight line runner but he's aggressive, confident, strong and young plus he competes well in the air and these attributes are exciting and hard to find. Post-Murphy we will have no-one like this in our back line and I like this style of player and so did GWS, big time. I'm prepared to let him develop his spatial awareness and disposal efficiency over time in light of the other attributes he brings to the team.

Plus my son loves him and he is one of the reasons he goes to the footy, which is important :D

bornadog
29-10-2013, 10:17 AM
BAD, would you upgrade Goodes to the primary list or maintain him as a rookie?

I think I would now that he has shown his value to the team and where we are at now in the team development. I know I didn't want him at the start of 2013 ( only for his age profile not ability ) but I can see his contribution has helped the backline. Also allows Murphy to be swung forward if necessary.

1eyedog
29-10-2013, 10:19 AM
I think I would now that he has shown his value to the team and where we are at now in the team development. I know I didn't want him at the start of 2013 ( only for his age profile not ability ) but I can see his contribution has helped the backline. Also allows Murphy to be swung forward if necessary.

Will this be necessary anymore do you think?

bornadog
29-10-2013, 10:20 AM

Maybe not, but its an option to keep up our sleeves at times during a game.

soupman
29-10-2013, 11:09 AM
Stays on the rookie list for mine. As a club we've always been too keen to promote rookies so I think we should leave him there and save the senior list spot which will probably be taken by Austin. Odds are we will have someone on the LTI list anyway (Higgins and Williams have it covered) so it won't limit our ability to play Goodes.

always right
29-10-2013, 01:21 PM

As players develop around him, Murphy becomes a real weapon to be thown around where needed. He certainly starts in the backline but I love the idea of creating yet another match-up nightmare for opposition coaches when we swing him forward.

bulldogtragic
29-10-2013, 01:56 PM
Keep him rookied, if he's still worth it for 2015 give him the 3rd year rookie spot. If he's still best 22 for 2016 then we are in deep poo.

Happy Days
29-10-2013, 02:19 PM
He really needs to learn to take the safe option; his willingness to back in his skills, whilst a somewhat admirable trait, is unrealistic and smacks of a guy too used to the lower level. Especially given that we expect him to be a consistent and quality user of the ball.

Also I'm not convinced about his defensive ability to actually lock down on a player. He's great at being an intercept/3rd man in a contest but is this a role that we can/want to have to set up?

If Darley/JJ keep him out it won't be a bad thing.

Maddog37
29-10-2013, 04:04 PM
I personally think that with another pre season he will be greatly improved. I thought he looked noticably leaner in the legends bar before the Adelaide game and if he can get fitter than he was this year then he will be very well placed to impact games on a more consistent basis.

He is the sort of player that other teams may need to shut down which apart from Murphy we are sorely lacking in our backline.

robb
29-10-2013, 04:14 PM
Not sure whether Brett gets a game in our best 22 hence whats the point of an upgrade even if its for depth.

LostDoggy
30-10-2013, 01:43 PM
Not sure whether Brett gets a game in our best 22 hence whats the point of an upgrade even if its for depth.

I agree. Love the way Brett goes about it but if he's not a lock for best 22 I'm struggling to see the point of upgrading him as a 29-30? year old rookie.

GVGjr
01-11-2013, 05:18 PM
Just reports that Goodes has been promoted to the senior list

mighty_west
01-11-2013, 05:23 PM
Well deserved, really like the way he goes about it and taking the game on.

Cyberdoggie
04-11-2013, 11:13 AM
Congrats the Brett,

Correct me if i'm wrong but does that leave us with 2 live picks in the draft now?

5 players out: Cross, Markovic, Vez, Addison, Lower.

3 players in: Crameri, Darley, Goodes,

That leaves 2 left?

I'm guessing there might be another delisting, possibly Pearce?

Go_Dogs
04-11-2013, 11:20 AM
Congrats the Brett,

Correct me if i'm wrong but does that leave us with 2 live picks in the draft now?

5 players out: Cross, Markovic, Vez, Addison, Lower.

3 players in: Crameri, Darley, Goodes,

That leaves 2 left?

I'm guessing there might be another delisting, possibly Pearce?

IIRC we were one short at the start of last season, so still have 3 live picks.

Mofra
04-11-2013, 06:12 PM
IIRC we were one short at the start of last season, so still have 3 live picks.
Yup - #4, 42 & 60.

Still gives us one rookie pick too.

bornadog
16-09-2015, 11:39 AM
Bulldogs Online

Footscray Bulldogs plan to offer Brett Goodes a spot on their roster next year if he decides to play on.
The 33 year old was recently delisted from the Western Bulldogs.
Having played 158 state games and helping Footscray win the flag last year as well as the Norm Goss medal. It would be a great addition with a similar role to when Bulldogs were align to Williamstown a few years back.

But North Ballarat may considering offering Goodes a spot. With North Ballarst going stand alone next season, Goodes maturity and VFL history would be a great addition since Goodes played majority of his VFL career at North Ballarat and help win two flags while there.