PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Fixture - Screwed again by AFL

bornadog
31-10-2013, 11:09 AM
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/Untitled_zpse70bd0a3.jpg (http://s202.photobucket.com/user/mmsalih/media/Untitled_zpse70bd0a3.jpg.html)

LowLights

* 15 Sunday Games
* 7 Saturday Games

* 1 game at the G against Melbourne!
* 14 at Etihad

* No Friday Night Matches again in 2014

* First match v West Coast, Sunday 23 March at 7.40pm EDT

see here (http://www.afl.com.au/fixture)

G-Mo77
31-10-2013, 11:11 AM
4.40 pm
4.40 pm
4.40 pm......

Go and get stuffed AFL. I wish I could swear on here *&%(($*&^@#(&$%)P

bulldogtragic
31-10-2013, 11:11 AM
Looks like fox footy is the big winner here. I'm happy with who we are playing twice, but Sundays and Twilights do nothing for me at all.

LostDoggy
31-10-2013, 11:15 AM
Yeah sunday games can pee right off!

The only bonus in playing the last 5 games on a sunday is one 14 and the rest 7 day breaks.

StKilda have a Friday Night game and we dont.......WTF AFL!!

FrediKanoute
31-10-2013, 11:16 AM
on the positive 5 of our last 6 at Etihad, so if we are in the mix at the business end this could help.

Daughter of the West
31-10-2013, 11:17 AM
AAAAAAAANNNNNNNNDDDDDDDDDD another punch in the guts for our brand exposure.

Screw you AFL. :mad:

LostDoggy
31-10-2013, 11:20 AM
Playing in Tasmania again? That's unusual to get that game 2 years in a row. I can feel another footy trip coming on. :) Although 3.20pm on a Sunday is a strange time, it'll be dark by 3/4 time. Why not have it at 1.10pm and possibly avoid having to use the lights?

Apart from that, again we have too many late Sunday home games. :(

bulldogtragic
31-10-2013, 11:22 AM
AAAAAAAANNNNNNNNDDDDDDDDDD another punch in the guts for our brand exposure.

Screw you AFL. :mad:
What do you mean, we are playing in Cairns.

But seriously, low crowds and low tv ratings will hurt us again with this fixture. It's all well and good to give us cash and say that's equalisation, but it's not. It's called throwing good money after bad. Give us exposure to increase our membership base, sell more merchandise, get more gate receipts and then you don't have to prop us up. It's just such an elitist attitude towards us... "We're not going to do anything to help you fix the structural issues, but here's some cash. Now say thank you".

Give a man a fish and eats today. Teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime.

Ghost Dog
31-10-2013, 11:28 AM
Play a certain brand of footy, and the crowds will follow. Have to earn it Dogs.

Daughter of the West
31-10-2013, 11:32 AM
What do you mean, we are playing in Cairns.

But seriously, low crowds and low tv ratings will hurt us again with this fixture. It's all well and good to give us cash and say that's equalisation, but it's not. It's called throwing good money after bad. Give us exposure to increase our membership base, sell more merchandise, get more gate receipts and then you don't have to prop us up. It's just such an elitist attitude towards us... "We're not going to do anything to help you fix the structural issues, but here's some cash. Now say thank you".

Give a man a fish and eats today. Teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime.

That is exactly what grates the most, so how the hell do you get past it? On the AFL's own website they state that our wish list was the following:

WESTERN BULLDOGS
The Bulldogs played nine twilight games in 2013, and for obvious reasons, the club would prefer to have a few more prime time slots. The Dogs were absent from the Friday night fixture last season, and played just four night games for the year. The club is keen to host some more big games against the powerhouse Victorian clubs in 2014 to pull in big crowds, after playing Geelong, Hawthorn, Essendon and Carlton just once last year. Like all clubs, the Bulldogs don't want many six-day breaks.

and then what do we get? The "*!*!*!*! off, You're Playing at 4.40pm Every Sunday" fixture special! ARGH! :mad:

bulldogtragic
31-10-2013, 11:33 AM
Play a certain brand of footy, and the crowds will follow. Have to earn it Dogs.
We played a great brand of footy 2008-2010. Membership topped at about 32,000. Half that of Hawthorn, and about 40% of Collingwood. We don't have 30,000 bandwagoners just sitting back.

bulldogtragic
31-10-2013, 11:37 AM
That is exactly what grates the most, so how the hell do you get past it? On the AFL's own website they state that our wish list was the following:

and then what do we get? The "F*ck off, You're Playing at 4.40pm Every Sunday" fixture special! ARGH! :mad:
Cairns and a horrible draw. I know I'm on my own, but I'd sell 6 or 7 games to Tassie, kick Hawks and North out. Demand 12 or more games in Melbourne and the Good Friday game and better draws. And a heap of cash. This does not reflect an administration actively trying to change the structural issues we face, quite the opposite you could argue.

whythelongface
31-10-2013, 11:48 AM
Yeah sunday games can pee right off!

The only bonus in playing the last 5 games on a sunday is one 14 and the rest 7 day breaks.

StKilda have a Friday Night game and we dont.......WTF AFL!!

I don't get how we don't get a Friday night game yet St Kilda do. Staggering decision.

bornadog
31-10-2013, 11:49 AM
I don't get how we don't get a Friday night game yet St Kilda do. Staggering decision.

6 matches at 4.40pm :eek: - I hate that time slot

4 matches at 7.40pm

bulldogtragic
31-10-2013, 11:52 AM
Outside of Libba a few years back and Browny at KFC, all we put out is positive AFL stories. Saints give rape, rape, lighting people on fire etc, etc. they are still bottoming out and they get a Friday night game. Obviously being good citizens doesn't count for anything.

Hotdog60
31-10-2013, 11:56 AM
Outside of Libba a few years back and Browny at KFC, all we put out is positive AFL stories. Saints give rape, rape, lighting people on fire etc, etc. they are still bottoming out and they get a Friday night game. Obviously being good citizens doesn't count for anything.

The German Diver must be a big draw card:confused:

LostDoggy
31-10-2013, 11:59 AM
Western "Sunday" Bulldogs

LostDoggy
31-10-2013, 12:03 PM
This is easy to predict each year. You sit in the stands at Etihad, amongst 15,000 fans, and you know that next year you're going to get screwed again.

Richmond fans, hate them if you will, but they've done diddly squat for 30 years and their fans still turn up. Sunday twilight games don't help, but be honest guys: they could play us on Friday night every week and we'd still struggle to pull a crowd, because our supporters just don't give a rats about turning up to games. Lose a game, get 20k the week after, lose two in a row and it's a graveyard. Win a game, and we pull out every excuse imaginable — the opposition didn't play their best players, the Dogs are still not there yet, I'll start going when they win a flag… We've heard it all before from a vast majority of our fans. Of course, the WOOF posters are not like that, but we ain't the norm guys.

Start pulling crowds and membership and the rewards will come. It doesn't work the other way around, the AFL isn't Centrelink.

bulldogtragic
31-10-2013, 12:07 PM
This is easy to predict each year. You sit in the stands at Etihad, amongst 15,000 fans, and you know that next year you're going to get screwed again.

Richmond fans, hate them if you will, but they've done diddly squat for 30 years and their fans still turn up. Sunday twilight games don't help, but be honest guys: they could play us on Friday night every week and we'd still struggle to pull a crowd, because our supporters just don't give a rats about turning up to games. Lose a game, get 20k the week after, lose two in a row and it's a graveyard. Win a game, and we pull out every excuse imaginable — the opposition didn't play their best players, the Dogs are still not there yet, I'll start going when they win a flag… We've heard it all before from a vast majority of our fans. Of course, the WOOF posters are not like that, but we ain't the norm guys.

Start pulling crowds and membership and the rewards will come. It doesn't work the other way around, the AFL isn't Centrelink.
Where were the members in 2008-2010?

Our problems run much, much deeper than this.

A Ford
31-10-2013, 12:44 PM
That fact finding trip Peter Gordon went on in August seems to have no paid dividends.
Equalization not working when you can't get near a fair fixture.

LostDoggy
31-10-2013, 12:54 PM
Associate of mine has already cancelled his family reserved seats. 1000 dollars.

chef
31-10-2013, 12:56 PM
Hardly surprising we get a shiz deal from the AFL, we're irrelevant to them.

Never going to be equalisation as it works against the richer clubs and the AFL making $$$.

LostDoggy
31-10-2013, 01:00 PM
Cairns and a horrible draw. I know I'm on my own, but I'd sell 6 or 7 games to Tassie, kick Hawks and North out. Demand 12 or more games in Melbourne and the Good Friday game and better draws. And a heap of cash. This does not reflect an administration actively trying to change the structural issues we face, quite the opposite you could argue.

Not on your own. I'm starting to think that dog has legs.....

gohardorgohome
31-10-2013, 01:04 PM
Many of you lot are just like the typical "whoh is me", "poor old bulldogs", "glass half empty" types that I hear in the stands at our games....

We will never get as much coverage as the big clubs, that's life!!!!....

Roll On 2014 Doggies.....loved the way you finished off 2013 .......

I think we will win between 10 and 13 games.....

Go Dogs!!!!

LostDoggy
31-10-2013, 01:11 PM
Many of you lot are just like the typical "whoh is me", "poor old bulldogs", "glass half empty" types that I hear in the stands at our games....

Go Dogs!!!!

But that's the other extreme. Just saying sod it, that's life doesn't solve the long term issue. Maybe it is actually solvable through proper equalisation policies. The point is, what we've been given doesn't reflect any sense that the AFL messaging all year is backed up by any real action in the draw they've delivered us. And thats disappointing from the governing body. And worth discussing. And probably worth a tiny little middle finger at their executive....

But yes - Go Dogs!

LostDoggy
31-10-2013, 01:14 PM
Mostly Sunday games, no games in Brisbane, one in cairns and one on the goldy, better start saving if I want to see more than game live :(

soupman
31-10-2013, 01:15 PM
Ridiculous. For all the statements and comments about "equalisation" and created a fair fixture we get handed a stinking pile of crap for our season. Absolute bullshit. We better get royally compensated for this, because it offers our club no chance to grow, and no chance to reap revenue from high drawing games.

Lets have a look at the positives and negatives.

Sucks to start the season against West Coast in Perth but someone has to do it. What I don't get is that we then play North the next Sunday, which sure gives us a 7 day break but it gives North a 9 day break and they didn't have to travel. On the back foot straight up. Both on Fox too so no early media exposure.

Then off to play Richmond the next week in the early Saturday game. Would have liked a better timeslot but it should get a decent crowd. On Seven but it's the worst of the 4 games they get to show each week ratings wise.

The off to an irrelevant Saturday twilight fixture against GWS in WS on Fox. Useless match.

Then we get a potential high drawing game against Carlton, but of course its relegated to Sunday twilight on Fox, minimizing the benefits.

Then we get the early Sunday game against Adelaide here, no one is going to go or watch that.

Then finally a prime time game that will attract a good crowd, Essendon on Saturday night on Seven. Except it's Essendons home game because you know, they earnt it.

Then Melbourne on Saturday night at the G, our annual low point of the season. Luckily it's going to be broadcast on Seven.

Then a bye to recover from that gruelling trip to the G, before off to play Gold Coast on the Coast on Seven.

Then back in Melbourne for the Seven match of the day against Freo. Another shit crowd on the cards.

Then we get a Saturday night game, at home, against Brisbane. Unfortunately it's on Fox.

Then we get to play Collingwood, finally a decent drawing game again...except it's the Magpies hoke match. At least it's on Seven in the sunday day slot.

Then off to Adelaide to play Port in the early Saturday game on Seven.

Then back in Melbourne to play Melbourne in the early sunday game on Fox.

Then we play Geelong in Geelong at Sunday twilight for maximum inconvenience for all our supporters, before travelling to Cairns to probably lose to Gold Coast on Saturday twilight irrelevance on Fox.

Then finally we get to play Essendon, our turn for the big crowds. But alas, it's Sunday twilight on Fox.

Then down to Tassie to get beaten by Hawthorn on Seven, before we get to play St.Kilda for their home game on Seven on Sunday.

Then the early game on Fox Sunday against North, then the main game on Sunday day against Sydney at home, before finishing off the season in the glorious Sunday twilight spot against GWS.

What a load of crap.

GVGjr
31-10-2013, 01:19 PM
It's a poor fixture from a fans perspective. I hope we are being very well compensated for it.

LostDoggy
31-10-2013, 01:21 PM
Isn't the Saints Friday night game the ANZAC game in NZ? Disappointed we don't have Good Friday footy, we'd just about be the only club in the AFL with no serious rival or showcase games.

LostDoggy
31-10-2013, 01:25 PM
As much as its a shocker soupaman - your write up at least gave me a laugh. A steaming pile of what you said :)

LostDoggy
31-10-2013, 01:26 PM
At least no one will be able to say we were helped along the way when we win a flag and stick it right up em!

soupman
31-10-2013, 01:27 PM
So from our home matches we get:
1 Saturday early on Seven,
1 Saturday twilight on Fox (Cairns match)
1 Saturday night on Fox
2 Sunday early on Fox,
2 Sunday day on Seven,
3 Sunday twilight on Fox,
and 1 unknown but probably Sunday twilight on Fox.

Not a single home game in prime time Seven Saturday or Friday, and just 3 games in one of those timeslots to play all year.

And we play North, Richmond, Carlton, Adelaide, Freo, Brisbane, Melbourne, Gold Coast, Essendon, Sydney and GWS for our home games.

Ok so we want to capitalise on our matches against the biggest of these clubs by playing them in the best timeslots, therefore we should play all three (yep, just three) of the clubs which will draw a big crowd in the best timeslots. So what do we get?

Richmond in the Saturday day game on Seven (that's decent, could be better but atleast it's FTA and a decent timeslot).
Carlton on Sunday twilight on Fox (Complete waste)
Essendon on Sunday twilight on Fox (Complete waste)

Luckily we will gain exposure and crowds from playing such high drawing clubs as Freo, Melbourne, Gold Coast and GWS to compensate in the prime time Sunday slots!!! On the plus side it shouldn't be hard to get a seat.

Murphy'sLore
31-10-2013, 01:28 PM
Ridiculous. For all the statements and comments about "equalisation" and created a fair fixture we get handed a stinking pile of crap for our season. Absolute bullshit. We better get royally compensated for this, because it offers our club no chance to grow, and no chance to reap revenue from high drawing games.

Hard to argue with any of that. Sucks big time. Again.

The Bulldogs Bite
31-10-2013, 01:46 PM
That's really disappointing. Not angry, just very disappointed. So much for equalization.

chef
31-10-2013, 01:47 PM

Go Dogs!!!!

I guess some of us are sick of being treated like the runt of the litter all the time.

I am a glass half full type of guy, but jeez we seriously get reemed every year.

Throughandthrough
31-10-2013, 01:48 PM
Sheepishly puts hand up and admits to liking the Sunday twilight matches. Living interestsate, having foxtel and being involved in local footy , I get to see most of these live.

azabob
31-10-2013, 02:04 PM
It's a poor fixture from a fans perspective. I hope we are being very well compensated for it.

How would we be compensated?

GVGjr
31-10-2013, 02:09 PM
How would we be compensated?

Financial assistance.

Bulldog Joe
31-10-2013, 02:11 PM
Well there are other ways to look at it

Lets have a look at the positives and negatives.

Sucks to start the season against West Coast in Perth but someone has to do it.But at least we kick off with a winnable game based on 2013 What I don't get is that we then play North the next Sunday, which sure gives us a 7 day break but it gives North a 9 day break and they didn't have to travel. Yes tough on the travel front. No reason we shouldn't be competitive here though.On the back foot straight up. Both on Fox too so no early media exposure.

Then off to play Richmond the next week in the early Saturday game. Off a 6 day break, which will be like 2 given the Perth game and Richmond only have 9 days to prepare for this. Tough game given how we coped with Richmond in 2013Would have liked a better timeslot but it should get a decent crowd. On Seven but it's the worst of the 4 games they get to show each week ratings wise.

The off to an irrelevant Saturday twilight fixture against GWS in WS on FoxActually in Canberra, where we do at least have an exceptionally good overall record. Mark this as a win. Useless match.

Then we get a potential high drawing game against Carlton,With the 8 day break we can win this and have some confidence building in the group but of course its relegated to Sunday twilight on Fox, minimizing the benefits.

Then we get the early Sunday game against Adelaide here, no one is going to go or watch that. I'll be there and expecting a win

Then finally a prime time game that will attract a good crowd, Essendon on Saturday night on Seven. Essendon with the extra 2 days to get over the Anzac clash, but we are now fired up and Crameri to tear them apart. Go Dogs!!Except it's Essendons home game because you know, they earnt it.

Then Melbourne on Saturday night at the G, our annual low point of the season. Luckily it's going to be broadcast on Seven.This could be an exciting clash. We should be right to show Roos that he is well behind the Dogs

Then a bye to recover from that gruelling trip to the G, before off to play Gold Coast on the Coast on Seven.Another winnable game away. GC will be tough, but we should be well ahead of our 2013 form by this

Then back in Melbourne for the Seven match of the day against Freo. Another shit crowd on the cards. At least we are playing a top side on our turf. Tough game but a win here and we could be seriously thinking finals

Then we get a Saturday night game, at home, against Brisbane. Unfortunately it's on Fox.This is a game we should win and that will generate more positive publicity

Then we get to play Collingwood, finally a decent drawing game again...except it's the Magpies hoke match. At least it's on Seven in the sunday day slot. We are now rolling and finally play Collingwood when we have the better

Then off to Adelaide to play Port in the early Saturday game on Seven.Port coming off the 2013 soft draw will struggle more in 2014 and we always beat them anyway

Then back in Melbourne to play Melbourne in the early sunday game on Fox.Now we're really rolling

Then we play Geelong in Geelong at Sunday twilight for maximum inconvenience for all our supporters, before travelling to Cairns to probably lose to Gold Coast on Saturday twilight irrelevance on Fox.With Geelong ripe for the picking. We have threatened them each time under Macca. Its time

Then finally we get to play Essendon, our turn for the big crowds. But alas, it's Sunday twilight on Fox. Will still get a fair ccrowd unless Essendon have self destructed. WIN PLEASE

Then down to Tassie to get beaten by Hawthorn on SevenWell we gave them a big scare in 2013 so onward we can march, before we get to play St.Kilda and probably consign them to the wooden spoonfor their home game on Seven on Sunday.

Then the early game on Fox Sunday against NorthWith a finals spot on the line for one or both sides. Exciting times, then the main game on Sunday day against Sydney at home,with Sydney feeling the strain due to their reduced depth before finishing off the season in the glorious Sunday twilight spot against GWS.If we are qualified for finals we will avoid the twilight zone. Round 23 twilight could be Adelaide Stkilda

What a load of crap.

Win games ...make finals ... rise above the crap and everything is better.

gohardorgohome
31-10-2013, 02:11 PM
SEN where just talking about draw statistically...... We have the easiest draw of all 18 clubs....
Footy is where it matters to me....... Seeing our young team develop and win more games this year should help make many fans cheer up.

LostDoggy
31-10-2013, 02:15 PM
Easier draw - based on clubs last years form

How does a side that finished 4th last have the best draw when 14 other clubs were statisically better than it in 2013 ?

bulldogtragic
31-10-2013, 02:16 PM
Financial assistance.
For some reason this really annoys me. I know there is equalisation, but it needs to be equal treatment too. It's kind of like the mentality of people I've arrested in years gone by who rough up a prostitute and say well I gave her money...

I know we need the money, but at some point I'd like some respect too (and respect for what we need to do, not only to survive, but thrive). Surely the two aren't mutually exclusive. If we were on the share market I wouldn't invest in us. The structural problems will remain without addressing the illness while they throw money at the symptoms. We need radical action to make our current set up viable.

bornadog
31-10-2013, 02:37 PM

Like in 2008, 9 and 10

Remi Moses
31-10-2013, 02:55 PM
Terrible draw For the bottom line.
How on earth do you have no Friday night games for two seasons?
The AFL waffles on about having to perform to earn Friday night games, so let's see when one of the big Boys struggle!!
Hope the club doesn't trot out the usual.
The Draw is awful from a brand perspective, but great from a potential win scenario

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
31-10-2013, 03:03 PM
Why do the Saints get a financially better draw than us? More Saturday games and 2 Friday night games. They are going to be miserable to watch in 2014 yet they haven't been banished to the scheduling wilderness unlike us. I don't get it

LostDoggy
31-10-2013, 03:07 PM
I think we're automatically assuming that we'll beat certain teams but I guess we need to remember that GC, Melb and GWS should make some improvement this season too.

LostDoggy
31-10-2013, 03:08 PM
Why do the Saints get a financially better draw than us? More Saturday games and 2 Friday night games. They are going to be miserable to watch in 2014 yet they haven't been banished to the scheduling wilderness unlike us. I don't get it

This ^^^

soupman
31-10-2013, 03:11 PM

On field it's pretty good, but that isn't the concern for mine. For all the talk of equalisation this is the crappest outcome for us, as it doesn't give us the chance to grow. Even if we do hit form like your adjustments suggest I don't see how we are going to win supporters because we will never be visible enough for neutrals to sit down and be impressed by us.

And at this point in time on field results are less important so long as we are competitive (ie. we don't have to play finals yet) but being able to build our revenue is very important, especially as we need that money to reinvest in the club both off field now and for the clubs sustainability in the future.

Like Peter Gordon said months ago Hawthorn and Essendon and Carlton aren't the clubs that need to still be growing their membership bases. They have enough. For the sake of the competition the new supporters need to go to us and North and Melbourne. All we are asking is for an equal chance or close enough to it as the big clubs get, but the exposure this draw gives us doesn't give us a chance.

Big clubs will argue the whole "get the good crowds and get the good timeslots" but if we continue to get crap fixtures like we have always gotten that is unattainable.

Murphy'sLore
31-10-2013, 03:12 PM
Has anyone got a worse draw than us from a scheduling perspective? Genuine question.

bulldogtragic
31-10-2013, 03:22 PM
Has anyone got a worse draw than us from a scheduling perspective? Genuine question.
Not that I can see.

LostDoggy
31-10-2013, 03:31 PM
Another genuine question. The big clubs had their "GGF'd" lunch at Crown Casino where they invited anyone who represented a certain wallet size and that was that.

Why can't we get a block of votes regarding this stuff. Surely the Presidents of the affected clubs should be thinking about holding their own lunch to start messaging collectively. I would think we could get:

North, Dogs, Saints, Brisbane, Melbourne, Port, Freo, Geelong (sympathysers), GWS and GCS to block vote that all those teams get a minimum 1 X Friday night game.

GWS and GCS might look dubious but they would have every reason to support it. They are still minnows living on borrowed money and although they have plenty right now they are unlikely to be self-sustaining in the long term. Even Collingwood seem to be coping with their fair share of travel and are supportive of the situation the smaller (not poorer) clubs remain in.

We need to outvote the arrogant ones as we can't outspend them and by weight of membership they will always win the court of public opinion.

bornadog
31-10-2013, 03:48 PM
All this draw does is make the bigger clubs even bigger with more exposure, better scheduling. So much for equalisation.

Scraggers
31-10-2013, 04:13 PM
I may be on my 'Pat' here, but I don't see it as bad as everyone is saying. 14 games at Etihad ... six interstate (down from seven last year ... one of which we asked for). Less six day breaks than last year.

Its an improvement ... it's still not the 'ducks-nuts' but it's an improvement.

1eyedog
31-10-2013, 05:03 PM

Go Dogs!!!!

Agreed.

I'd rather navigate through a horrible fixture if we get double ups against ordinary teams and play our last half dozen at Etihad.

'll then buy my finals tickets and be quite happy.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
31-10-2013, 06:38 PM
All this draw does is make the bigger clubs even bigger with more exposure, better scheduling. So much for equalisation.

Agree. I would much rather play a harder fixture opponent wise and test our group against the best than be patronised with a soft draw that does nothing to help our young group see where we need to be and that hobbles us in terms of growing our support base.

LostDoggy
31-10-2013, 06:39 PM
I think everyone agrees it's a favourable draw from a sporting perspective, but it's absolutely rubbish from a branding and financial perspective. I'd much rather have a far tougher draw and better exposure.

anfo27
31-10-2013, 06:53 PM
Been in a shitty mood all day because of this fixture. I can't believe how terrible it is! It makes me think what the hell is the point of staying in Melbourne if this is the type of fixture we can expect. How on earth can we be expected to grow our membership base if we can't even get games on free to air prime time slots.

Its even a blow for our sponsors. Sponsors want their brand on free to air & how can we negotiate a better deal when we can't offer them exposure on free to air.

There are a total of 48 Friday & Saturday night prime time free to air games & we are zero from 48 for home games in that category. There is enough games for every team to get a slice of the action.

Its ok for the AFL to use us as part of the 18 team competition to ask for more cash when the tv rights come around but don't want to give us a fair slice of the pie. They then hand us a little compo so we can shut up & think everything is sweet.

I don't care how easy our draw is. I'd rather the toughest draw around so our team can develop quicker.

Also very annoyed at Simon Garlick' comments on our fixture. Be honest Simon & call it what it is!!! Its a CRAP draw & we are being discriminated against because of the size of our fan base. THIS IS BS!!!

chef
31-10-2013, 07:16 PM
Agreed.

I'd rather navigate through a horrible fixture if we get double ups against ordinary teams and play our last half dozen at Etihad.

'll then buy my finals tickets and be quite happy.

But it's hurting us financially.

chef
31-10-2013, 07:21 PM
Been in a shitty mood all day because of this fixture. I can't believe how terrible it is! It makes me think what the hell is the point of staying in Melbourne if this is the type of fixture we can expect. How on earth can we be expected to grow our membership base if we can't even get games on free to air prime time slots.

Its even a blow for our sponsors. Sponsors want their brand on free to air & how can we negotiate a better deal when we can't offer them exposure on free to air.

There are a total of 48 Friday & Saturday night prime time free to air games & we are zero from 48 for home games in that category. There is enough games for every team to get a slice of the action.

Its ok for the AFL to use us as part of the 18 team competition to ask for more cash when the tv rights come around but don't want to give us a fair slice of the pie. They then hand us a little compo so we can shut up & think everything is sweet.

I don't care how easy our draw is. I'd rather the toughest draw around so our team can develop quicker.

Also very annoyed at Simon Garlick' comments on our fixture. Be honest Simon & call it what it is!!! Its a CRAP draw & we are being discriminated against because of the size of our fan base. THIS IS BS!!!

Yep, well said.

G-Mo77
31-10-2013, 07:35 PM
Been in a shitty mood all day because of this fixture.

I'm glad I'm not alone.

Well said on the rest of the post as well.

LostDoggy
31-10-2013, 07:41 PM
In the same boat as you anfo, been absolutely fuming since watching those arrogant pricks carry on about how equitable the draw is. I love the game and I absolutely love our Bulldogs and I'll never stop going but these bastards running the show are destroying it for me. Gonna head along to a few A League games with a mate over summer, at least it seems they don't treat the absolute heart of the game, the people, like shit.

Hotdog60
31-10-2013, 07:47 PM
I hope in those so called easy match ups that we absolutely embarrass the opposition with record breaking annihilation of them. I hope our style from this year flows on and our new look forward line makes a mockery of not giving us a better look.

Maddog37
31-10-2013, 08:57 PM
Seriously questioning the $1300 I spend a year on my family reserve seats. Simply no value in it.

bulldogtragic
31-10-2013, 09:02 PM
Seriously questioning the $1300 I spend a year on my family reserve seats. Simply no value in it.
This is a natural response, even by the cash giving die hards. What are the looser bulldogs members and supporters going to be thinking. I'd hazard a guess we, like other teams, have a large percent of members who are dollar sensitive, the term "value for money" will get mentioned A LOT over the preseason.

G-Mo77
31-10-2013, 09:06 PM

Wondering why I am as well. I mean I can make these ludicrous Sunday twilight games but my wife will rarely come. That's close to $500 I save a year if I discontinue her membership with a newborn son and very soon only one income I can't justify throwing money away like that.

I had 3 supporters at work queued up to sign on and would have organised it when I got back to work next week. I've got zero chance of selling them the idea of buying a membership now.

1eyedog
31-10-2013, 09:50 PM
But it's hurting us financially.

Losing 100 gold members due to an unfortunate fixture is a loss of 50k - insignificant really when you look at the coin that comes to the club via the AFL, of which we are one of the biggest recipients. We have a good fixture in terms of winning games, if we can win games this it will offset the hit to our brand because we will be discussed more in media, our coaches will be asked onto footy shows with the Mission flag flying etc. etc. and maybe we play finals and become one of an exclusive 8 that gets an opportunity to further sell their product.

As for the Aints they've got a shite fixture in other ways. I'd rather ours to be honest regardless of the Friday night.

I know a heap of people watch Sunday football and rating are generally good so I would really question just how big the hit to our brand really is.

MrMahatma
31-10-2013, 09:58 PM
Why is Sunday arvo such a bad slot? Honest question. I'm interstate but would happily rock up to the footy at that time on a Sunday. In fact, I'd find that easier to get to than the 2pm games.

bulldogtragic
31-10-2013, 09:59 PM
Losing 100 gold members due to an unfortunate fixture is a loss of 50k - insignificant really when you look at the coin that comes to the club via the AFL, of which we are won of the biggest recipients. We have a good fixture in terms of winning games, if we can do this it will offset the hit to our brand from having no Friday or Saturday night games. As for the Aints they've got a shite fixture in other ways. I'd rather ours to be honest regardless of the Friday night.

I know a heap of people watch Sunday football and rating are generally good so I would really question just how big the hit to our brand really is.
To be fair, if it's not signing and keeping members then let's sack the membership department and then we have an instant $200,000pa saving. This is a vicious cycle. We members get marginalised to the point some just give their money to Foxtel and not the club. The club continues to suffer because we rely on the AFL money Foxtel give them. Foxtel pay more for TV rights, the AFL become more subservient to TV monies, so clubs like ours get marginalised further with fixturing and the cycle continues to the point the WBFC has no money and no power to demand anything because if we don't get foxtels money via the AFL we die.

How long does this continue until the AFL decide we are not a viable club? What does the WBFC have so unique they couldn't find a better use for the licence in another territory? I know we're unique, but on their level, I doubt they see it the same.

Call me cynical, I don't care. I see some writing on the wall and that's why I'd consider a partial move to Tasmania. Do that now, or death or merger later.

LostDoggy
31-10-2013, 10:09 PM
So Peter Gordon...they took you overseas, exposed you to the biggest sporting clubs in the world, said all the right things, promised you a fair and equitable future for our club......and then shat in your face.

Harsh but true. Time for "diplomatic Peter" to have a break and "angry Peter" to be brought out of the box.

1eyedog
31-10-2013, 10:13 PM
To be fair, if it's not signing and keeping members then let's sack the membership department and then we have an instant $200,000pa saving. This is a vicious cycle. We members get marginalised to the point some just give their money to Foxtel and not the club. The club continues to suffer because we rely on the AFL money Foxtel give them. Foxtel pay more for TV rights, the AFL become more subservient to TV monies, so clubs like ours get marginalised further with fixturing and the cycle continues to the point the WBFC has no money and no power to demand anything because if we don't get foxtels money via the AFL we die.

How long does this continue until the AFL decide we are not a viable club? What does the WBFC have so unique they couldn't find a better use for the licence in another territory? I know we're unique, but on their level, I doubt they see it the same.

Call me cynical, I don't care. I see some writing on the wall and that's why I'd consider a partial move to Tasmania. Do that now, or death or merger later.

Good post BT. I would argue that we have never recovered emotionally from 89, we haven't rallied the west or won a Premiership in that time, this club has always been on the edge financially as everyone on here knows and if we didn't get that support then we would have revisited 89 over and over again. I'm up for alternatives but let's look at something a little more local than Tassie, what the hell is the road block with home games at Geelong deal do you know?

It's not just the members either, I feel sorry for the players somewhat too, it must be deflating playing a home game in front of 15,000 people.

bornadog
31-10-2013, 10:29 PM
So Peter Gordon...they took you overseas, exposed you to the biggest sporting clubs in the world, said all the right things, promised you a fair and equitable future for our club......and then shat in your face.

Harsh but true. Time for "diplomatic Peter" to have a break and "angry Peter" to be brought out of the box.

Pretty sure Peter said most of the ideas wouldn't be implemented till 2015.

bulldogtragic
31-10-2013, 10:32 PM
Good post BT. I would argue that we have never recovered emotionally from 89, we haven't rallied the west or won a Premiership in that time, this club has always been on the edge financially as everyone on here knows and if we didn't get that support then we would have revisited 89 over and over again. I'm up for alternatives but let's look at something a little more local than Tassie, what the hell is the road block with home games at Geelong deal do you know?

It's not just the members either, I feel sorry for the players somewhat too, it must be deflating playing a home game in front of 15,000 people.
I'll return the compliment. Good post. Until we get even one block buster game (ie Good Friday, which North are claiming!) and a better draw we cannot attract the likes of a Dale Thomas who not only wants cash, but profile, massive crowds and celebrity. And you can't blame the players, they only have one career. Their ability to piggy back of a commercially well off club is so very limited with us. Just look at our polo shirts compared to say Collingwood. And to that end, if I'm the CEO of Mission Foods I need to ask myself if my millions are going to get a return on investment, or has the investment run it's course... If so, then we need more money of the AFL and will get walked over even more and continue the cycle...

I think I'm most disappointed with the general people who identify with us, but that's it - a demographic which will increase Next year at a guess. I generally buy memberships for some of my extended family, rotating it around hoping they will buy a membership the following year because their kids like it. But they don't! I can understand if you can't afford it, but the apathy of this group is crippling us. I remember a stat that we lose about 7,000 members each year, good or bad, it doesn't matter. I just don't know how many more years we keep topping up. Even when the bandwagoners come out when we look like getting deep into September, it's only about 4-5,000 memberships extra. We have so many things that we need to address structurally and culturally, and the fixture for next year just makes our problems harder. God forbid if your the membership manager next year and your job has a quota...

anfo27
31-10-2013, 10:35 PM
Why is Sunday arvo such a bad slot? Honest question. I'm interstate but would happily rock up to the footy at that time on a Sunday. In fact, I'd find that easier to get to than the 2pm games.

Its a bad slot when thats all you're getting. Ratings prove that people watch footy the most on Friday & Saturday night. To be honest I don't currently have kids so any time the dogs play suits me but the issue is not about what is easiest for me.

What if you're a 10 year old kid who's parents don't follow footy but you like kicking the footy out with your mates at school & watching the footy on tv but don't support anyone. I'm tipping those kids will have no idea who the bulldogs are because they are never on tv. I know a lot of guys growing up picked the team they support by who was on tv all the time & i can tell you those guys aren't bulldogs supporters.

I want this great club to thrive not just survive & with fixtures like this I feel its making our job harder.

I wouldn't give a stuff how many Sunday games we get if we also got 1 Friday night home game & 1 Saturday night home game against a Victorian based club. There are 48 of these games a year, i don't think i'm asking for that much am I?

always right
31-10-2013, 10:36 PM
Pretty sure Peter said most of the ideas wouldn't be implemented till 2015.

That's alright then. Please proceed to treat us like absolute shit in the meantime.

bulldogtragic
31-10-2013, 10:40 PM
That's alright then. Please proceed to treat us like absolute shit in the meantime.
And that's "if" it isn't delayed for any reason! Or get us so far on our knees well take a worse offer just to survive or have calls to do something unpleasant with us or our licence.

always right
31-10-2013, 10:45 PM
Time for an avatar change

bulldogtragic
31-10-2013, 10:55 PM
Trust you to bring humour into things! :)

LostDoggy
31-10-2013, 11:01 PM
Western Bulldogs AGM 5pm 19th Dec at Whitten Oval. Come one come all and voice your opinion to the board. I will be!

soupman
31-10-2013, 11:03 PM

Such a slender hand:)

LostDoggy
31-10-2013, 11:30 PM

Love it!

jeemak
31-10-2013, 11:44 PM
I've been cynical about the repercussions of the huge TV deal signed by the broadcasters and the AFL from the outset, and have always believed Vlad's benevolence towards our situation has been completely self serving.

Each year when the fixture has been released since the deal was struck, we have been marginalised further from the previous year from an exposure perspective. This to me says the deal Vlad sold to the networks is not returning to them what he said it would, and that the AFL has the next round of negotiations in mind in terms of how they can demonstrate value for money to the broadcasters (i.e. clubs like ours don't occupy prime slots).

Unfortunately we will find ourselves at the mercy of the cycle yet again, in that we will be sold to the broadcasters as "filler" to satisfy a certain amount of games played. What's even more unfortunate, is this will be the best case scenario for our club and all it can expect to achieve.

The AFL cannot and will not accept a broadcasting deal that is inferior to the current one enjoyed by the lucky few, which means our situation from an exposure perspective will be not get better for the short term.

We cannot afford a poor on field performance in 2014. We need to make finals, or come very close to making finals to generate interest in our club from within our own supporter base as a starting point. If we only generate 5K in members from a strong performance in 2014 we need to see it as a starting point to build on. If we don't, we're in a lot of trouble.

LostDoggy
01-11-2013, 07:14 AM
Soft draw or not. We want a fair spread of games across the week. Not just Sundays. GWS and GC get looked after having so many Saturday games!

I see people writing on FB and on other forums about how they will not renew their memberships cos of so many Sunday games. Either cos they can't attend Sunday games or don't want to attend Sunday games. It is honestly a joke and the club should rip into the AFL!

bornadog
01-11-2013, 09:28 AM
I see people writing on FB and on other forums about how they will not renew their memberships cos of so many Sunday games. !

They are not real members. A real member buys a membership to be part of the club, not just to get a discount to games.

LostDoggy
01-11-2013, 09:30 AM
They are not real members. A real member buys a membership to be part of the club, not just to get a discount to games.

This

Happy Days
01-11-2013, 09:34 AM

Yep.

I view my membership as a donation; the games are for free.

With regard to the fixturing, yeah it's not great for our brand exposure, but really, we need to remember that we have been just horrible to watch for the better part of 2 years. North, who are at a comparative situation with regard to popularity, have been rewarded with exposure due to playing a more watchable brand of football.

As Jeemak said earlier, we need to produce some positive, watchable and successful football in 2014 if we want to be exposed further. The league isn't equal as much as we all want it to be, it's like any sport.

LostDoggy
01-11-2013, 09:42 AM
Agreed.

Since we've started having children in 2009 we've been to about 15 games between us live. That's about $2000 for a standard membership (x2) at an average cost of about $130 per game :)

It's being part of something bigger.

bornadog
01-11-2013, 09:43 AM
Agreed.

It's being part of something bigger.

This is how we should be selling the club.

bulldogtragic
01-11-2013, 09:49 AM
This is how we should be selling the club.
I agree with the sentiment, and I too give no matter what. But do you honestly believe we can get 35,000 people who think like this?

bornadog
01-11-2013, 10:01 AM
I agree with the sentiment, and I too give no matter what. But do you honestly believe we can get 35,000 people who think like this?

Maybe not 35,000, but trying to stop people giving up their membership because of stupid excuses may be a start.

bornadog
01-11-2013, 10:02 AM
CEO Simon Garlick

"In summary, while the football component of the fixture has been progressed in terms of starting to maximise competition, we believe more needs to be done in regards to providing improved fixture outcomes for smaller clubs in relation to revenue opportunities and exposure.
"To this effect, most key drivers of growth are in the hands of the AFL and we look forward to continuing to work with them and other stakeholders in the spirit of equalisation to maximise exposure and revenue opportunities going forward.
"Opportunities including returning all our home games to Victoria, a potential home game at Simonds Stadium and securing a marquee match – notably Good Friday from 2015 – remain priorities for the Western Bulldogs."

What else can you say? Or should he come out punching?

bulldogtragic
01-11-2013, 10:14 AM
Maybe not 35,000, but trying to stop people giving up their membership because of stupid excuses may be a start.
7,000 supporters a year, every year, have stupid excuses on not renewing.

It's bigger than some 14 year olds saying they won't renew. Just read the threads, gold member die hards are finding it hard to justify the cost. If we are seeing fractures at this level, then we have some issues as a club, not to mention if I was Mission CEO I'd be thinking my bang for buck just deteriorated.

But I don't have the solution, apart from discussing Tasmania.

westdog54
01-11-2013, 11:39 AM
Buddy Revenge to wait until round eight (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-31/buddy-revenge-in-round-eight)

A discussion on some of the former players playing against their old teams, and not one mention of Crameri despite the bitter circumstances surrounding the split.

People, we are officially out in the cold in this fixture.

G-Mo77
01-11-2013, 11:44 AM
What else can you say? Or should he come out punching?

Personally I'd like to see him more demanding on our needs rather than the whole "working with them" cliché.

FrediKanoute
01-11-2013, 11:55 AM
I appreciate the draw isn't great, but I think that it is a favourable draw in terms of who we play. We have based on this draw and our finish to 2013 an ability to sneak a spot in the finals and that is a good thing.

What I would say about the Sunday scheduling is maybe we should embrace it. Yes twilight games suck currently, but they are preferable to a lunchtime start. Maybe if the AFL is looking to stick us there we use it to our advantage and market around the number of twilight games - great chance to get to the footy and have dinner straight after at the Social Club; or grab a takeaway on the way home from XYZ.

You have to play the cards you are dealt and sometimes as a club we have been a little quick to moan poor us. On balance as a side that was God Awful at times last year and only had the season rescued by some good performances at the end, its hardly surprising we aren't being handed blockbuster slots.

Ghost Dog
01-11-2013, 11:59 AM
Well posted Fredi
I don't mind watching other games of footy. If I was an opposition fan looking for entertainment in the first half of 2013, I would have been steering clear of our games as well.
We were awful.

chef
01-11-2013, 12:13 PM
Buddy Revenge to wait until round eight (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-31/buddy-revenge-in-round-eight)

A discussion on some of the former players playing against their old teams, and not one mention of Crameri despite the bitter circumstances surrounding the split.

People, we are officially out in the cold in this fixture.

Yep, I noticed that in the H/S. Even Longer and Pods got a mention

Murphy'sLore
01-11-2013, 12:15 PM
Welcome to the Twilight Zone.

always right
01-11-2013, 12:30 PM
My concern is not whether we deserved a more favourable fixture based on our recent performance but whether we will still get served this shit sandwich in future even if our performance justifies it. I get the feeling we are simply irrelevant in the AFL's eyes.

Giving us more money is one thing.....giving us the ability to build our club on the back of membership and corporate sponsorship is another thing altogether. The fixture we have been given for 2014 is bereft of anything positive from a marketing perspective. We will be buggered if our only means of survival is to go cap in hand to the AFL every year.

LostDoggy
01-11-2013, 01:57 PM
It's going to be an interesting season for sure. Many are saying we have the softest draw from a competitive position, and given the way we finished 2013 and our expected improvement in 2014 I can see us being right in the mix come finals time a la Port Adelaide. When we're up and about neutrals love watching us because we're always the underdog. Shame no one will be able to though.

Bulldog4life
01-11-2013, 02:16 PM

Yep agree. I'm in the minority but I don't mind Sunday games from a personal perspective but I understand it is not great from a commercial aspect.

Bulldog Joe
01-11-2013, 02:30 PM

Agree with this and I have always bought memberships for my grandchildren even though they have only attended about 3 games in 5 years due to their location.

Will look to add by buying memberships for my children. Even the 2 who aren't Bulldog supporters.

always right
01-11-2013, 03:21 PM
Agree with this and I have always bought memberships for my grandchildren even though they have only attended about 3 games in 5 years due to their location.

Will look to add by buying memberships for my children. Even the 2 who aren't Bulldog supporters.

Good on you Joe.....a supporter as opposed to a fan.

Remi Moses
01-11-2013, 03:37 PM
I think there's been a tad over reaction to be honest.
I think most look at the membership as a financial donation to the club, and to be honest our membership like all clubs is linked to how we are going.
The issue I have with the AFL is I'm a sceptic of the notion of earning Friday night games.
I 'll put the house on the big boys still getting the prime time plumb spot even if they 're not going well!'

bulldogtragic
01-11-2013, 03:44 PM
I think most look at the membership as a financial donation to the club, and to be honest our membership like all clubs is linked to how we are going.
The issue I have with the AFL is I'm a sceptic of the notion of earning Friday night games.
I 'll put the house on the big boys still getting the prime time plumb spot even if they 're not going well!'
I don't want to seem disagreeable, but we had 1,000 more members this year than 2009. Still sub 30,000 and just about the worst outside the expansion clubs.

At best the bandwagon effect is worth about 2,500 members based on 2010 figures. Bugger all in the scheme of things.

Bulldog Joe
01-11-2013, 03:44 PM

Unfortunately true. With bigger supporter bases they just generate better ratings, which gets them better time slots, which gets them more supporters and better sponsorships, thereby preserving the better time slots.

Equalisation along the NFL model is looking more and more imperative.

Remi Moses
01-11-2013, 04:11 PM
Unfortunately true. With bigger supporter bases they just generate better ratings, which gets them better time slots, which gets them more supporters and better sponsorships, thereby preserving the better time slots.

Agree, the revenue has to be shared amongst the clubs. The draw once again dictates that this has to happen

Remi Moses
01-11-2013, 04:12 PM
I don't want to seem disagreeable, but we had 1,000 more members this year than 2009. Still sub 30,000 and just about the worst outside the expansion clubs.

At best the bandwagon effect is worth about 2,500 members based on 2010 figures. Bugger all in the scheme of things.

Have a look at the social club rush in 2010.
They had to cap it.

bulldogtragic
01-11-2013, 04:24 PM
Have a look at the social club rush in 2010.
They had to cap it.
True, but that was existing members upgrading.

It might be just me, but membership issues with out great club scare the crap out of me. During the time since the big tv deals and mass exposure. The big clubs have virtually doubled their membership and got huge sponsorship dollars off the back of it. We've gone at about 40%, which over time period and in comparison is exceptionally poor and have struggled for sponsors.

One could mount a case for Hawthorn style (after the failed merge) sign up or we die campaign. We are not viable at this level. Say what you will, at some point Foxtel and others will identify a territory it wants to exploit for money. When that happens, we don't want to be only sustained on cash handouts with less than 50% membership of the bigger clubs. As we are now. Take emotion out of it, we are in strife and the draw next year does us no favours.

Remi Moses
01-11-2013, 04:33 PM
Hawthorn are a prime example of members and fans who drop off after a few poor years.
The revenue sharing has to be applied , as the big clubs can't have their plum exposure and expect to give nothing back in return.
Overseas sports do not have contrived revenue raising fixtures and in fairness something has to give.

bulldogtragic
01-11-2013, 04:57 PM
Hawthorn are a prime example of members and fans who drop off after a few poor years.
The revenue sharing has to be applied , as the big clubs can't have their plum exposure and expect to give nothing back in return.
Overseas sports do not have contrived revenue raising fixtures and in fairness something has to give.
Maybe once upon a time, but they now have over 10,000 members in Tassie cashing their footy department up. Cash another club could take off them for their own footy department.

LostDoggy
01-11-2013, 06:31 PM
Today I found a hidden truffle in the turd sandwich. I genuinely think we are likely to play finals this year. And if we finish like we finished 2013; that could take us anywhere. I can find upto 14 very winnable games and whilst I accept GWS, GC and Melb will all be better next year as well I'm getting alot of confidence from the draw. Finals would see a commercial advantage for us and might build us a business case for the Good Friday game.

Or maybe its just I've taken a long weekend but I definitely feel abit better looking at that side of it!

Flamethrower
02-11-2013, 12:59 PM
Funny how things change...I used to hate twilight games as they didn't suit my life.

Now I love them....they fit in great with my work....do a Sunday shift at the hospital and get paid handsomely and head to Etihad to watch the boys crack in.

It doesn't help sell the club playing in the twilight zone on cable TV so often, but if we can use our favorable draw, "do a Port" and make a serious finals assault, that will get us noticed.

It is way better than the flogging or 2 on Friday night Footy the 26 time wooden spooners from Seaford will cop.

ANN LEE
02-11-2013, 10:41 PM
I think the worst twilight game is the one at Geelong Rd16. Melbourne teams should not have to play there. Geelong members fill nearly the whole stadium leaving very few seats for those of us brave enough to travel there in the middle of winter for a 4.40 game. As far as I am concerned the game may as well be on the other side of the country.

jeemak
02-11-2013, 11:24 PM
I think the worst twilight game is the one at Geelong Rd16. Melbourne teams should not have to play there. Geelong members fill nearly the whole stadium leaving very few seats for those of us brave enough to travel there in the middle of winter for a 4.40 game. As far as I am concerned the game may as well be on the other side of the country.

On another forum, many moons ago I had a disagreement about the attitude of the GFC towards away fans, and their poor access to Kardinia.

They basically couldn't have cared less then, and I'm sure they couldn't care less now.

It's a small town, Geelong. And the folk down their who support Geelong have very very small town attitudes when it comes to their team.

Unfortunately the AFL allows their club to treat all other clubs supporters poorly.

bornadog
03-11-2013, 11:41 AM
On another forum, many moons ago I had a disagreement about the attitude of the GFC towards away fans, and their poor access to Kardinia.

They basically couldn't have cared less then, and I'm sure they couldn't care less now.

It's a small town, Geelong. And the folk down their who support Geelong have very very small town attitudes when it comes to their team.

Unfortunately the AFL allows their club to treat all other clubs supporters poorly.

Can't blame them, we would do the same given the opportunity.

bornadog
03-11-2013, 11:41 AM

I certainly won't even bother trying to get a seat.

jeemak
03-11-2013, 03:59 PM
Can't blame them, we would do the same given the opportunity.

Yeah, probably right.

Unfortunately we'll never have the opportunity. The AFL should do something about it, but they won't.

LostDoggy
03-11-2013, 06:49 PM
Agreed. It's really about how you sell the fixture. Ok, so it's no good commercially. The club needs to stop moaning, sit down and work out how to spin it for the fans. Be proactive. Be bold and try something new. Embrace it. Work twilight games into the marketing as though we asked for them. Work out a deal with Metro trains for free tickets for members attending: Sunday tickets are the cheapest. Eagles do this at Subi. Get CREATIVE!

Unfortunately, we won't. We'll piss and moan. And that's why we're stragglers.

Excuses is damn right. We could've been given 22 Friday nights at the G. They would've found another reason.

God I hope so. Not holding my breath though.

MrMahatma
04-11-2013, 10:10 AM
Maybe with the "softer" draw we can sneak into the 8, jag a final vs the pies at prime time, Jake Stringer bags 6 in a dominant display. Dogs jumpers and number 9 sell out immediate. A new hero is born and the youngsters flock to get on the band wagon.

Eastdog
08-11-2013, 01:22 PM

Ill be watching that one on TV plus my membership is just for access to home games.

Twodogs
08-11-2013, 02:37 PM

I'd prefer it to be on the other side of the country. Might stand a chance of getting a ticket then.

Eastdog
17-11-2013, 02:27 AM
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/Untitled_zpse70bd0a3.jpg (http://s202.photobucket.com/user/mmsalih/media/Untitled_zpse70bd0a3.jpg.html)

LowLights

* 15 Sunday Games
* 7 Saturday Games

* 1 game the G against Melbourne!
* 14 at Etihad

* No Friday Night Matches again in 2014

* First match v West Coast, Sunday 23 March at 7.40pm EDT

see here (http://www.afl.com.au/fixture)

And to think 8-9 years ago when our membership was lower that we played 5 games at the G. Does not make sense AFL that with increased membership today that we only play once there.