PDA

View Full Version : Lets Discuss - Tom Williams

GVGjr
02-11-2013, 09:50 AM
We all know that Williams has had an exceptionally bad run from injuries throughout his career but given the shoulder injury in 2013 that restricted him to just two games, 2014 shapes as a make or break season for him.

I really rate Williams because when paired with Lake he really did provide us with they sort of spine that good teams normally have. The problem for Tom is that he has only played 78 games since debuting in 2007.

The plan in 2013 was to try him as a forward but with the recruitment of Crameri I think Williams is needed as a defender to help with the development of Talia, Roughead and Young.

How do you see the 2014 season shaping up for Tom Williams? Does he play as a forward or defender? Is Tom in our best 22?

I'd be interested in your thoughts.

LostDoggy
02-11-2013, 10:00 AM
If Tom can get his body right, which is a big 'IF', I can see him spending most of the 2014 season at CHB. This would allow Talia to be used as a third tall, which in turn allows him to be more attacking and provide the team with more run and rebound out of defense. When fit I see Williams well ahead of Tom Young, and with Williams in and Talia playing that third tall, Young might even struggle for a game in my opinion.

always right
02-11-2013, 10:57 AM
Unlike last year when Macca had definite plans to play Tom at CHF, there should be no doubt that his 2014 plans would be built around a team that does not include Tom. That's not to say that Tom wouldn't be in our best 22 but I'm sure he is considered a bonus if he gets his body right....and he would play in defence.

Roughy is a lock at FB as is Morris in the pocket. Talia is being groomed for CHB but is not quite big enough yet to take the really big forwards. Roberts may be worth developing in this role but there is nothing to suggest he is a certainty to become a regular senior player yet. This is where a fit Tom Williams would be invaluable. God knows he deserves a change in fortune.

LostDoggy
02-11-2013, 11:38 AM
Tom is my absolute favourite player when fit. I love the way he goes about it and I think he adds 33 percent to the back six when he's in - not least because he frees up whomever had to take CHB in his absence to play 3rd tall. Without injuries he'd be in my top 10 for talent and performance on our list. With injuries - you just can't factor him in as being a member of our list. I agree the coaches would have to be formulating a game plan that excludes his presence but if he plays a full year we will go up an extra 1-2 places on the ladder in my opinion than we would without him. Gun, gun, gun. Injury, injury, injury.

Would love to see a fairytale ending to what has been an epic greek tragedy to date.

bulldogtragic
02-11-2013, 02:02 PM
We could play a game of "pin the injury on the Tommy". That's how obscure his injuries could be. I just can't really include him in our plans, I think he falls into the bonus category.

LostDoggy
02-11-2013, 03:36 PM
A fit Tom Williams playing 22 games at CHB next year could well result in us pushing for finals. Straightens us up so well and frees up Talia. It's a real shame it more than likely won't happen. God knows he's earnt some luck but I guess some bodies just aren't made for AFL footy.

LostDoggy
02-11-2013, 05:22 PM
As much as I love the way he plays, when fit, and admire his character and determination to keep coming back from big injuries, I just can't see Tommygun getting back on the park consistently. His current shoulder injury was the last straw for me; I still can't quite figure out how it happened. As Cricho54 says above "I guess some bodies just aren't made for AFL footy." Very sad. If fit, he is best 22 every week. But with only 78 games next to his name since '07, the sad fact is that he is a liability and is taking a place in the list that could be used by a more durable player. I want him in the team for round one, if fit, but he is one injury away from retirement.

Scorlibo
02-11-2013, 06:42 PM
If Tom can get his body right, which is a big 'IF', I can see him spending most of the 2014 season at CHB. This would allow Talia to be used as a third tall, which in turn allows him to be more attacking and provide the team with more run and rebound out of defense. When fit I see Williams well ahead of Tom Young, and with Williams in and Talia playing that third tall, Young might even struggle for a game in my opinion.

Talia should never be used in an attacking role. If he is to make it as a player he must play within his limitations and become a very good key defensive stopper, like his brother.

If the situation you've outlined comes to be then Tom Young is much better suited to the third tall role than Talia.

MrMahatma
02-11-2013, 10:37 PM
Just can't plan for him to be on the park. He's a bonus.

Remi Moses
03-11-2013, 02:26 AM
I think every game Tom plays is a bonus.
I think you plan for Tom not being in the side .
Maybe his body just isn't cut out for our game, but the bloke deserves a decent run

Ghost Dog
03-11-2013, 10:02 AM
AFL is a tough game and maybe every list has a bloke like Tom. Just a very bad run.

Go_Dogs
03-11-2013, 11:01 AM
As already mentioned, my view is we shouldn't be putting too much faith in Tom playing a key on-field role for us in 2014 due to the rotten run of injuries he's had.

If he is able to get his body right for an extended period then I think CHB is the best position for him. Our forward line is coming together well, and Williams would add some experience to our key position stocks in the back line. Unfortunately Dale's career is slowly coming to an end, and Talia seems the heir apparent for that role, and when combined with Williams and Roughead it gives us a lot of flexibility to match up on most sides.

Really hope Tom has a change in fortune.

LostDoggy
03-11-2013, 06:26 PM
Tom deserves a good run and a solid season without injuries.

Unfortunately, “deserves” got nothing to do with it.

I love him, but I think the day we can accept that it's not to be, and move him on in a fashion that 100% looks out for his interests and his future — he is likely due for a lot of pain in later life from the injuries he's sustained playing for us, and he must be looked after — the day this happens marks a stronger club. Sentiment won't cure his injury problems. As others have said, that shoulder seemed hardly touched, but resulted in a season-ending injury. And if we're going to move forward, perhaps a career-ending one as well.

I hope I'm wrong.

BornInDroopSt'54
03-11-2013, 06:45 PM
Tom Williams comes from athletic stock from a rugby background. However this may not be enough to prevent ongoing problems but if he does stay on the park it would be a gift from the gods. We haven't seen him reach his potential yet; its easy to imagine what he could become if he gets used to the code. I remember him taking it upon himself a few years ago to run forward, and got a goal from running through the pocket, in congestion, getting possession as he ran along the point line. It was an unlikely goal from the big guy who has got some tricks we never saw.
What a colossus of a guy he is, a shade under 200cm, a bolt upright stature who moves with a natural grace. When the team enters the stadium, he stands out and I'm always proud of the figure of Tom Williams.

Mofra
04-11-2013, 12:53 PM
I really have no faith in his body letting him play regular AFL - he is fantastic when on, but really needs consecutive games to regain touch.

We simply can't plan for him to be in the side - if he's fit it's a bonus, but the poor guy just can't get on the paddock.

ratsmac
04-11-2013, 05:33 PM
I really have no faith in his body letting him play regular AFL - he is fantastic when on, but really needs consecutive games to regain touch.

We simply can't plan for him to be in the side - if he's fit it's a bonus, but the poor guy just can't get on the paddock.

Well said.

I feel sorry for him but I feel more sorry for the club. He would have to have some sort of special year to be retained beyond next season. His nick name should be Mr. Glass.

LostDoggy
04-11-2013, 06:38 PM
Well said.

I feel sorry for him but I feel more sorry for the club. He would have to have some sort of special year to be retained beyond next season. His nick name should be Mr. Glass.

We call him China.

jeemak
04-11-2013, 11:17 PM
If his output is 15+ games next year, and he's an automatic senior selection he'll be retained in the hope he can build on that and salvage some sort of career with the club.

He's worth more to us in that scenario than he is on the open market, particularly with Morris likely to be finishing up.

With that in mind, he's a defender for mine. Our defence needs players like Williams to mark time while Roberts and Talia develop their games, and while Roughead transitions towards a comprehensive and consistent tall defender (which he'll take greater strides in next year IMO, over the already considerable ones he's taken to date).

I can't allow myself to expect anything more than that from Tom. His track record of injury, false starts and DNF's to this point of his career is too imposing to argue against.

It's a great shame, as I believe he would have matured into an excellent KPD if his body ever allowed him to.

KT31
08-11-2013, 12:56 AM
I expect when his contract is up so will be his career.
I have nothing against Tom and when he is on he field he is exactly what we need.
Unfortunately he is very rarely on the field and as he gets older the likely hood of him being on the ground is less and less.
Depth is everything and as selfish as it can be we cannot continue to grow and move forward if we have two or three players on our list that never get on the track.