PDA

View Full Version : Joel Corey - development role

azabob
05-11-2013, 10:23 PM
Joel Corey to join the dogs in a development role. Tweeted by Herald sun journo Mark Hayes.

Topdog
05-11-2013, 11:02 PM
Great news IMO. Always liked the way he carries himself.

ratsmac
05-11-2013, 11:05 PM
Surely not! Are there any other Geelong retirees in need of a job? We are like a retirement village for the cats.

LostDoggy
05-11-2013, 11:18 PM
Surely not! Are there any other Geelong retirees in need of a job? We are like a retirement village for the cats.

Hopefully more come IMO.

LostDoggy
05-11-2013, 11:23 PM
Macca seems to have one hell if a reputation out there in footy land is all I can put this massive influx down to. Keep on coming people - give us your very best!

Twodogs
05-11-2013, 11:29 PM
Macca seems to have one hell if a reputation out there in footy land is all I can put this massive influx down to. Keep on coming people - give us your very best!

Maybe they could all turn out for the Footscray VFL team?

1eyedog
05-11-2013, 11:53 PM
Where did we get all this spare cash from? The difference between Macca's salary and Rocket's?

bornadog
06-11-2013, 12:07 AM
Where did we get all this spare cash from? The difference between Macca's salary and Rocket's?

Pretty sure Peter Gordon organised a bunch of business people, plus the AFL to spend more on fooy department

Twodogs
06-11-2013, 12:08 AM

I think the football department has been better funded since Gordon took over.

lemmon
06-11-2013, 12:30 AM
Very happy, apparently a few clubs including the Eagles were heavily into him so to win out is a terrific result for the footy department

Ghost Dog
06-11-2013, 12:35 AM
Apart from cash, location is a key factor here. 50 minutes up the guts, if that. I used to drive to my sister's house from Geelong, where she is, very near Whitten Oval. Two left turns involved in the whole trip.

GVGjr
06-11-2013, 07:08 AM
Another good addition to the club. I wonder if it's a full time position

chef
06-11-2013, 08:40 AM
Great news.

Bulldog Revolution
06-11-2013, 08:45 AM
Absolute class act as a player, so consistently effective

I like the group McCartney has put around him

He needs guys he knows and trusts but he's also added to that with Bulldogs of quality (Smith, Monty) and Hansen from external

whythelongface
06-11-2013, 09:54 AM

Disagree. McCartney is bringing to the club experienced players who have won premierships. This is extremely beneficial to a young list like ours as they are taught what is required to be a champion team. Winning a premiership is not won on skill alone; it is about developing a strong culture and there isn't a better model than the Geelong team from 2007-2012. Thus I believe it is a great move by the club to be able to utilise the skills and knowledge of players from this great team.

ledge
06-11-2013, 10:40 AM

Would you Rather we get them from an unsuccessful club ?

bulldogtragic
06-11-2013, 10:46 AM
Is it a new role, or is he replacing someone?

bornadog
06-11-2013, 10:47 AM
Is it a new role, or is he replacing someone?

Chris Maple I guess.

ledge
06-11-2013, 10:54 AM
Isn't it awesome all people from players to coaches want to be part of the club and only one player at the club has wanted to leave in the last two seasons, I think that tells a lot about our club.

Cyberdoggie
06-11-2013, 11:08 AM
Pretty sure Peter Gordon organised a bunch of business people, plus the AFL to spend more on fooy department

Was this in addition to the large sum that PG invested in the footy department when he took over?

Bulldog4life
06-11-2013, 11:35 AM
Great get. Mate of mine were just talking yesterday about Corey and he was one player he was sorry to see leave out of all the ones that have left the Cats. Was suppose to have been going initially to play and coach at GWS so great move from the dogs to snaffle him. Macca you've done it again!

The Doctor
06-11-2013, 12:17 PM

What would you prefer, recently retired Melbourne or Richmond greats like....er.....ummm...?

LostDoggy
06-11-2013, 12:42 PM
Great get, another quality person to the kennel.

LostDoggy
06-11-2013, 12:47 PM
So exciting to have so many experienced and successful mentors for our young kids.

LostDoggy
06-11-2013, 02:42 PM
Great News.

Here's what Graham Lowe has said on the website about Corey

“Joel is highly-respected across the industry for his selfless attitude and desire to make his peers better and we are thrilled to again have someone of such high calibre choose to join the Western Bulldogs.”

“We know Joel is a high-quality person, and his premiership experience along with his outstanding character make him an excellent addition to our group of coaches as well as the football department broadly.”

Remi Moses
06-11-2013, 02:45 PM
Good thing was Corey knocked back what would have been a more lucarative offer from GWS.

LostDoggy
06-11-2013, 03:52 PM
What would he achieved there as a player?

Remi Moses
06-11-2013, 04:09 PM

Probably more of a financial incentive.

ledge
06-11-2013, 05:43 PM
Well it was one more year playing AFL football your a long time retired,not many footballers refuse to go on when offered.

chef
06-11-2013, 06:03 PM

Playing coach, same as the position that James Mcdonald had.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-11-2013, 06:16 PM
Good appointment.

I think we've assembled an impressive list of staff over the last 12 months (Mooney, Scarlett, Corey, Lowe, Graham, Cordy).

I would have loved us to nab Harley or Ling.

ratsmac
06-11-2013, 06:40 PM
Would you Rather we get them from an unsuccessful club ?

What would you prefer, recently retired Melbourne or Richmond greats like....er.....ummm...?

Don't get me wrong fellas, I'm not a hater. I quite like the bloke and I rapt he's on board, I was just taken back that it was another ex Geelong person. It shouldn't come as a surprise but it did.

That said, it is a good appointed from what we can see. If Macca rates him as a coach I'm not going to argue.

Maddog37
06-11-2013, 08:06 PM
I am happy with it. He was a fantastic player over a long period but I'm not sure I can remember hearing him speak so time will tell.

azabob
06-11-2013, 08:53 PM
I am happy with it. He was a fantastic player over a long period but I'm not sure I can remember hearing him speak so time will tell.

I'm fairly sure he would've spoke during his time with Macca and during the interview process :D;)!

LostDoggy
06-11-2013, 09:24 PM
Maybe former Bulldog, Sam Reid took his role? Is that a token appointment?

LostDoggy
06-11-2013, 10:25 PM
My understanding is that Joel Corey is the prototypical player upon which Macca has based a lot of his development ethos. You might even call him 'old number one' - as in the first of the Macca breed. I'd love someone to fill out the story or correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Joel pretty much put himself in Macca's hands, or perhaps Macca saw something and took him on as a development project, and they formed a very strong bond. Whichever way it went, the results were absolutely outstanding, as we all know. Adding Joel's cool discipline and work ethic, not to mention his hardness, to the coaching group can only be a good thing. And it's vital to maintain links to the current era with coaches who are fresh from the game. I think it is an outstanding appointment.

LostDoggy
06-11-2013, 11:44 PM
Apart from cash, location is a key factor here. 50 minutes up the guts, if that. I used to drive to my sister's house from Geelong, where she is, very near Whitten Oval. Two left turns involved in the whole trip.
Thank God you're not Derek Zoolander.

Isn't it awesome all people from players to coaches want to be part of the club and only one player at the club has wanted to leave in the last two seasons, I think that tells a lot about our club.
And when you look at those coming and going, it says even more.

Maddog37
07-11-2013, 11:48 AM
I do believe Derek conquered his fear of turning right.

LongWait
07-11-2013, 01:18 PM
I think the footy department now boasts about 15 premierships between them.

The Doctor
08-11-2013, 10:08 AM

And this is what we need.

However I would still like to see the assistant coaching panel improved. Overall we are light on for experience and I don't think we have a stand out deputy.

Bulldog4life
08-11-2013, 11:46 AM

And hopefully a 16th.;)

Eastdog
08-11-2013, 01:09 PM
Great news. Joel's wealth of experience will be great for our young group coming up.