PDA

View Full Version : Players who sacrificed their game for the good of the club?

southerncross
23-01-2007, 09:25 AM
Players who sacrificed their game for the good of the club?

Some players are oun-and-out stars, some are journeyman who fill in at positions and do the grunt work for the greater good of the club.
Which players past and present do you rate highly in the area.

For me it was guys that spring to mind are Stephen Power, Tony Libertore who went from a ball winner to gun tagger and sacrificed his game accordingly, Jose Romero and Darren Baxter who all had the ability to play a more free flowing game and yet adapted to what the coach required. Greg Eppulstun also had a great reputation of negating all types of players but for mine really wasn't that talented to begin with.

Are there any other players that spring to mind?

The Coon Dog
23-01-2007, 05:59 PM
Ben Harrison was one who was often asked to play outside his weight division. He'd take the number one tall forward & give away a decent amount of height in the process.

Mofra
23-01-2007, 08:11 PM
Kretiuk often played on bigger opponents, I'm positive it perhaps shortened his career as his body finally gave way to injury.

I see a touch of selflessness in Boydy's style of play, has gained the ability to sprint from packs (his acceleration is actually quite good) but rarely does this as his often plays a defensive/run-with role.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-01-2007, 08:17 PM
Croft.

Always had to deal with bigger opponents every time he stepped out onto the ground.

bulldogtragic
23-01-2007, 08:37 PM
Second Harrison. And he seemed by almost hated by some quarters of so-called supporters. We don't seem to have a whipping boy for 2007, hopefully real supporters dont find the need to, although if BF posters are real supporters for slagging K-Mac, then god help us.

bornadog
23-01-2007, 11:29 PM
I think Hargrave often plays on players that are either bigger than him or even smaller. Its hard to know where he should play but with the lack of height in the backline he is called upon even thou he is only 190cm.