PDA

View Full Version : Fevola Bankrupt

bornadog
10-11-2013, 03:42 PM
How AFL star Brendan Fevola lost his fortune because of gambling (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/how-afl-star-brendan-fevola-lost-his-fortune-because-of-gambling/story-fni0fiyv-1226756572809)

BRENDAN Fevola was once footy's most bankable star - his dead eye in front of goals earned him about $6 million throughout his AFL career and his larger-than-life personality ensured a juicy contract with The Footy Show.

He was kitted out by sportswear giant Nike, owned swanky Melbourne restaurant Fellini and there were always luxury cars or holiday apartments at his disposal.

Even after his AFL career imploded, he could cash-in on his profile with gigs on Dancing with the Stars and a steady stream of paid TV and magazine interviews.

But now, according to his own bankruptcy filing one of the few substantial things left to his name is his retirement savings.

The 32-year-old was made bankrupt in October and he now attests to having $5000 in a Commonwealth Bank account. There is no real estate, no shares, no car, nor jewellery in his name.

Much of Fevola's fortune was gambled away. He admitted to losing about $1 million on the punt including one day-long losing spree tallying $365,000.

Fevola was paid-out about $1 million when sensationally sacked by the Brisbane Lions in 2011 after a scandalous 12 months, which included the Lara Bingle nude photo scandal and a stint in rehab after a New Year's Day arrest.

But has the man once fined $10,000 by his former club Carlton for urinating on a restaurant window really drained his whole fortune down the gutter?

His superannuation fund has an extraordinarily healthy balance of $165,000, his bankruptcy declaration said. He also gave his 50 per cent stake in a $750,000 home near Melbourne to his wife Alex in December last year.

His bankruptcy trustee, Mark Pearce of Pearce and Heers, will examine transactions before Fevola's bankruptcy to see if anything can be recovered for creditors.

Bankrupts must lodge a report with the Australian Financial Security Authority. Fevola's so far lists creditors totalling $74,162.50 - none are bookies, but he owes $13,000 on an NAB credit card and $3162.50 to the taxman.

One "Brisbane (unknown)" creditor owed $13,000 appears to be builder Lou Menniti, who helped tip Fevola into bankruptcy by suing him in Brisbane's Federal Circuit Court.

Mr Menniti had lent money to Fevola to help with his children's private school fees.

Another creditor is named "Irish (unknown)". Court documents show Irishman Paul Murray had joined that legal action as a supporting creditor, stating Fevola owed him Euro31,611.93 ($A45,517.81).

The debt came in a separate 2010 Irish court ruling based on "personal injuries" - Fevola had infamously been captured on security camera putting Mr Murray, a barman, in a headlock in an Irish pub.

Fevola now writes he was renting a home in Victoria. He filled in "N/A" when asked his occupation.

He had a family trust, linked to a licence-marketing services company, with no assets but paying him a $33,760 distribution in 2012.

Fevola has been in discussions with Mr Pearce, his trustee, about making arrangements to repay all creditors. Fevola did not want to comment last week. "It's not really a story," he said.

bornadog
10-11-2013, 03:43 PM
Gambling is a sickness and just goes to show where one can end up.

Dazza
10-11-2013, 04:03 PM
Seems like a good enough guy.

Can't say I feel sorry for him though. This might be the wake up call he needs.

SlimPickens
10-11-2013, 05:53 PM
Young man, high profile, large disposable income and a lot of spare time on his hands....bad mix.

Happy Days
10-11-2013, 06:02 PM
LETS RECRUIT HIM we could get him cheap as chips now!

Only thing stopping us from a flag DO IT DOGS

/facebook

westdog54
10-11-2013, 07:13 PM
Seems like a good enough guy.

Can't say I feel sorry for him though. This might be the wake up call he needs.

He's had several 'wake up calls'. He's been effectively sacked from two clubs, made an arse of himself on an overseas tour and had his gambling habit bite him on numerous occasions.

GVGjr
10-11-2013, 07:53 PM
He's had several 'wake up calls'. He's been effectively sacked from two clubs, made an arse of himself on an overseas tour and had his gambling habit bite him on numerous occasions.

That's just the tip of the problems he has had. Lara Bingle and the Brownlow also spring to mind. When he drinks he makes a lot of silly decisions. Real Peter Pan syndrome

BornInDroopSt'54
10-11-2013, 08:51 PM
Being talented and fractious seem to be linked genes.

I wonder if he's on Newstart.

westdog54
11-11-2013, 09:25 AM
Being talented and fractious seem to be linked genes.

I wonder if he's on Newstart.

It genuinely wouldn't surprise me.

I seem to recall that Aaron James was living on the money he earned playing in the RDFL a few years back, didn't have a day job. He now works as an Authorised Officer for PTV.

LostDoggy
11-11-2013, 09:58 AM
It genuinely wouldn't surprise me.

I seem to recall that Aaron James was living on the money he earned playing in the RDFL a few years back, didn't have a day job. He now works as an Authorised Officer for PTV.

Used to watch him down in Gisborne, was only there for a year IIRC. Was part of a stellar forwardline through the late 90's - early 00's that boasted Michael Werner and Brad Fox during that timeframe.

Mofra
14-11-2013, 12:34 PM
Knew one of his GFs (at the time).

Let's just say I have no sympathy for him.

bulldogtragic
14-11-2013, 02:00 PM
Knew one of his GFs (at the time).

Let's just say I have no sympathy for him.
Yep, in all my dealings with him, I thought he was a complete and utter disgrace as a person. I played a district school game against him and he was a tool even then. If he couldn't play football he'd be broke anyway. But For me I draw a distinction between an ordinary person with a pokie/gambling problem than a complete dickhead with a god complex who blew his fortune. Shane Crawford and other Hawks had a heap of horses and punted, so it's not just AFL, celebrity and money in all cases. Look at his personal life, he just blew opportunity after opportunity with his wife and kids to have a stable and healthy relationship. Some people are just stupid or irresponsible or something else. That's him from my experience. But that's just me, so take if with a grain of salt.

LostDoggy
14-11-2013, 02:47 PM
That's just the tip of the problems he has had. Lara Bingle and the Brownlow also spring to mind. When he drinks he makes a lot of silly decisions. Real Peter Pan syndrome

I met him at a mate's barbeque one night down in Hastings. I remember thinking, “Gee, this guy seems to be a great bloke, maybe the stories are all overblown.”

Then he got drunk.

He's your classic case of a bloke who can't handle his addictions, and takes no real personal responsibility for anything he does, and fell into the habit of the post-dickhead media conference apology one too many times to be taken seriously. Peter Pan syndrome sums it up beautifully — he just never went from boy to man.

westdog54
14-11-2013, 05:29 PM
I met him at a mate's barbeque one night down in Hastings. I remember thinking, “Gee, this guy seems to be a great bloke, maybe the stories are all overblown.”

Then he got drunk.He's your classic case of a bloke who can't handle his addictions, and takes no real personal responsibility for anything he does, and fell into the habit of the post-dickhead media conference apology one too many times to be taken seriously. Peter Pan syndrome sums it up beautifully — he just never went from boy to man.

And then you get a bloke like Lance Whitnall, who, despite not being as talented, was, in my experience, a polar opposite as a bloke.

I used to play indoor soccer in an Action Sports Super-Series that also involved cricket, netball and beach volleyball, and Whitnall was playing cricket for one of the centres one night. It would have probably been in 2000. Travelled with the rest of his squad on the bus, was a gentleman throughout the night and was more than happy to have a chat over a beer later on. He mentioned at the time that he managed an allowance of about 15% of his salary (He was on about $300,000 at the time), and had his manager refer him onto various investments for the rest of it.