PDA

View Full Version : Parts of Whitten oval should be heritage listed?

LostDoggy
11-11-2013, 11:28 PM
Just want to see what parts of the oval people think should be heritage list.

My nomination is the spot gubby Allen kicked across goal to the Pieman.

Remi Moses
12-11-2013, 12:50 AM
The Drill hall is heritage listed already.
The whole ground should be heritage listed in my biased opinion.

Eastdog
12-11-2013, 01:24 AM

I agree Remi that the whole ground should be heritage listed. The ground is a very important part of Footscray and whether or not we grew up in Footscray that's where our club originated.

1eyedog
12-11-2013, 09:16 AM
Agree with Remi.

Under the Heritage Act 1995 anything over 50 years old can be placed on the Heritage Register, this doesn't necessarily mean it will be protected but it does mean that an archaeological and/or historical assessment of its value is undertaken if there are Council / Club plans to alter or demolish. The John Gent stand for one would be an ideal candidate, to be honest even all the seats in front of the stand would be candidates too. There are numerous other areas around the ground also.

Getting back to what Remi says it is possible to protect heritage in other ways other than just it's structural (architectural / era of style) or historical significance. A statement of significance can be undertaken by a qualified historian / archaeologist which takes into account the whole grounds social value. This is usually done by interviewing a number of people (supporters / former club men etc.) and developing a report that discusses its value to the community at the social level and outlining the reasons why it is a significant area, its social fabric.

This is where the strongest case lies for making the whole ground a heritage site.

bulldogtragic
12-11-2013, 09:44 AM
Public toilets near the Whitten Stand, mainly the hand written graffiti on the walls and doors.

Assuming it's still there. I haven't been to WO for a few pre seasons.

bornadog
12-11-2013, 09:53 AM

Its an historical ground. Known as the Western Reserve in 1879, the council granted the oval to the club and not long after the Footscray Football Club was officially born.

Palm trees planted in the 1920's as part of beautification are also heritage as is the drill hall.

Record crowd for the ground is 42,354 in 1955 v Collingwood - we won by 6 points :)

It certainly is part of the heritage of Footscray and will be great to watch the VFL team play there.

I would love to see it one day built into a large stadium and host home matches - but that is a dream at this stage. (however you never know)

Cyberdoggie
12-11-2013, 01:32 PM
Its an historical ground. Known as the Western Reserve in 1879, the council granted the oval to the club and not long after the Footscray Football Club was officially born.

Palm trees planted in the 1920's as part of beautification are also heritage as is the drill hall.

Record crowd for the ground is 42,354 in 1955 v Collingwood - we won by 6 points :)

It certainly is part of the heritage of Footscray and will be great to watch the VFL team play there.

I would love to see it one day built into a large stadium and host home matches - but that is a dream at this stage. (however you never know)

I've had that dream as well many times.

Only problem was I woke up and realized I still didn't have squillions of dollars.

Remi Moses
12-11-2013, 02:32 PM

Amazing to think they got 42,000 to a game there!
OH+S now I'm not thinking they'd allow that crowd, and the grandstand wasn't there.
Remember in 85, it was jam packed when we got over 30.

bornadog
12-11-2013, 02:46 PM
Amazing to think they got 42,000 to a game there!
OH+S now I'm not thinking they'd allow that crowd, and the grandstand wasn't there.
Remember in 85, it was jam packed when we got over 30.

I posted in another thread we played Essendon in 1985 and had 33,000 there. It was certainly packed that day.

The Whitten Stand was built in the 70's so yes back in 1955, they probably packed them in there standing up of course.

bulldogtragic
12-11-2013, 02:52 PM
I found some photos last week of the game where Doug surpassed EJ in the mid 90's.

Not sure of the figure, but geez, it looks like it's about to burst.

always right
12-11-2013, 02:56 PM
That final round game we played against Melbourne to decide who made the finals that year was the biggets crowd I ever saw at the WO. Amazing atmosphere.

bornadog
12-11-2013, 03:59 PM
I found some photos last week of the game where Doug surpassed EJ in the mid 90's.

Not sure of the figure, but geez, it looks like it's about to burst.

23953. Doug with 23 disposals and one Brownlow Vote

bulldogtragic
12-11-2013, 04:48 PM
23953. Doug with 23 disposals and one Brownlow Vote
Looks twice that. Best venue for watching footy when we turned out properly. I get a smidge at the G with a big crowd, but the dome feels like a hospital. I'm thankful I got a good few years to remember it by.

Twodogs
13-11-2013, 12:21 AM
I was up in the can bar when Doug overtook EJ's record. Nice and roomy up there. The rest of the ground did seem pretty full though.

bornadog
13-11-2013, 09:42 AM
I was up in the can bar when Doug overtook EJ's record. Nice and roomy up there. The rest of the ground did seem pretty full though.

I was living in Taipei in the 90's but saw the game when Australia TV decided to broadcast it live.

Remi Moses
13-11-2013, 02:50 PM
They knocked a fair few out when they put in those seats in front of the Gent stand.
Fair few of those Dee fans didn't know where the Western oval was..

LostDoggy
15-11-2013, 12:57 PM
They knocked a fair few out when they put in those seats in front of the Gent stand.
Fair few of those Dee fans didn't know where the Western oval was..

As it doesn't snow in Footscray, how would they?

Ozza
18-11-2013, 02:52 PM
Has anyobody noticed that in the EJ Whitten stand - there is an "Arthur Olliver section"

A typo in the Grandstand - I'm sure he only has one "L" in his surname.

Twodogs
18-11-2013, 03:03 PM
As it doesn't snow in Footscray, how would they?

It snowed in 1969. It was 2 or 3 weeks after the Moon landing.

bornadog
18-11-2013, 03:23 PM
It snowed in 1969. It was 2 or 3 weeks after the Moon landing.

and the ground was packed with demons supporters:D

bornadog
18-11-2013, 03:29 PM
To keep the heritage going, consider:

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/OurClub_BuySeat_HERO_zps00fdf81f.jpg (http://s202.photobucket.com/user/mmsalih/media/OurClub_BuySeat_HERO_zps00fdf81f.jpg.html)

or $99 per month for 5 months. I did it.

Twodogs
18-11-2013, 05:22 PM
and the ground was packed with demons supporters:D

It was a weekday. I was at school and it snowed in the schoolyard at playtime but the teacher wouldn't let us out of the classroom. She had a point I guess-we weren't exactly dressed for snow but geez.

LostDoggy
18-11-2013, 05:37 PM
To keep the heritage going, consider:

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/OurClub_BuySeat_HERO_zps00fdf81f.jpg (http://s202.photobucket.com/user/mmsalih/media/OurClub_BuySeat_HERO_zps00fdf81f.jpg.html)

or $99 per month for 5 months. I did it.

Same. Won a packet on Freo and Port in the first round of the finals, and bought a seat. Definitely one of the purchases of the year for me.

Heritage-wise, I agree the whole ground should be listed. The 1989 fightback is enough reason, I reckon.

SonofScray
20-11-2013, 08:56 PM
Where is the statue of the dog!?

The Cowshed
20-11-2013, 11:42 PM
Has anyobody noticed that in the EJ Whitten stand - there is an "Arthur Olliver section"

A typo in the Grandstand - I'm sure he only has one "L" in his surname.

Olliver with two 'll's' is the correct spelling for our Hall of Famer, Arthur.