Ed score - thanks Sockeye

Sockeye Salmon
17-10-2007, 06:23 PM
West Coast 2.5 4.7 6.9 8.12 60
WB 2.3 7.5 8.9 9.11 65
M.C.G.

How the hell did we lose that one?

My favourite hobby horse!!!

I'll tell you how we ****ing lost that! GAVIN ****ING DORE!!!

This is the only game I've ever been to where I've thought we were completely screwed over.

1. Todd Curley pushes David Wirapunda in the back on the edge of the centre square. As the umpires change positions Dore sets the mark inside the F50. Wirapunda got a 10m penalty from the stuff up. His kick clears Scott Wynd on the goal line by inches. The ch 9 footy show highlight it on the Sunday putting an 'X' on the screen where the infringement took place - clearly inside the centre square. Wirapunda kicks from about 52 metres.

2. Chris Grant takes a hangar over Glen Jakovich 20 out right in front and gets done for high contact with his knee.

3. Grant and Jakovich are pushing each other face-to-face as the ball is coming towards them. Huddo jumps from behind them and marks 25-30m out. Grant is penalised for shepharding.

4. Croft and Wirapunda dive for the ball in WCE goalsquare. Crofty knocks it through for a point and gets done for pushing Wirapunda in the back. As they lay on the ground Wirapunda is ON TOP of Crofty.

It was really windy and we kicked the ball out of bounds about 29 times. We had 60 more possesions than them and about 20 more inside 50's.

Danny Southern kicked a banana at the Punt Rd end from a set shot that barely cleared the man on the mark and bounced in the goalsquare and rolled through with about 8 blokes in the square and no-one touched it.

I took a business associate from Canada to see the game. I was going off and he suggested I was a little over the top. I replied with something that I shouldn't have to do with the fact that he knew **** all about what was going on. The relationship was somewhat strained after that.

PS. You've got the score the wrong way around again, DR.

Dry Rot
17-10-2007, 06:33 PM
Fixed - thanks.

Moral of your post: never take a business associate to the footy.

dog town
17-10-2007, 06:36 PM
I remember the wind was terrible and we couldn't play our passing game as well as we wanted. On top of that the Eagles had a mad stare in their eyes that night.

Sockeye Salmon
17-10-2007, 06:47 PM
I remember the wind was terrible and we couldn't play our passing game as well as we wanted. On top of that the Eagles had a mad stare in their eyes that night.

In reality we smashed them everywhere but the scoreboard, though.

dog town
17-10-2007, 06:58 PM
Certainly were a better side than them that season. I think we might have beaten them in round 21 at optus heading into that finals series. Seem to recall Chris Grant kicking a cracking goal in that game.

Sedat
17-10-2007, 07:05 PM
The wind was terrible that night, but we refused to adapt our game plan the whole night. Winmar went off injured very early in the piece, and he was going to be our designated go-to forward for the night, which threw our forward line out of whack. Stephen Powell had a shocker, which probably stamped his papers in Wallace's eyes despite having had a terrific season in 1999. Our precision kicking game plan really did come unstuck as a result of the swirling wind that night - it was a warm night from memory.

We might have gotten screwed by the umpires that night but we were a 5 goal better side than them at that point in the season and we simply did not get the job done. West Coast were awful in the 2nd half of that season (they got off to a flyer) and limped into the finals. Just another example of us not being able to stand up in the spotlight.

The irony is that the following season the top 8 system was changed. We would have played Essendon with a clear double chance and minimum 2 home finals had the new system been implemented a year earlier. As a result, we had to travel to Brisbane the following week, when Lynch did the infamous (but factually correct) choking gesture to a very frustrated Westy - I've since forgiven Lynch and co for breaking Collingwood hearts in 2002 and 2003.

Malthouse's hystrionics in the box that night made me sick.

mjp
17-10-2007, 07:34 PM

Not according to the West Australian! :-)

Yes, 1999 was the year that triggered the change in finals format as Sedat noted - but the most often quoted reason is that West Coast finished 5th, travelled in week one of the finals and WON, yet Carlton finished 6th, travelled in the first week of the finals and LOST...week 2 - the lower placed Carlton who lost in round 1 hosted West Coast at the 'G.

I understood what everyone in Perth was moaning about...but I really didnt care.

As for Alistair Lynch, he got his just deserts for his choking gesture the very next week, didn't he?

The Coon Dog
17-10-2007, 07:51 PM
I'll always remember just how windy it was. Not just to one end, it was so swirly. Up until that game Chris Grant had kicked out on the full ONCE for the WHOLE season, yet managed it TWICE in the first quarter.

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/127/67087866ys9.jpg

LostDoggy
17-10-2007, 08:19 PM
Personally I reckon that 99 as a season we were better positioned coming into the finals than in 97 & 98.

We didnt start the season well, but we came home strong and went into the finals with some good form.

I was gutted after this game as I knew it was going to be an uphill battle to beat Brisbane away the next week, and that we had blown our chance

bornadog
18-10-2007, 09:30 AM
Personally I reckon that 99 as a season we were better positioned coming into the finals than in 97 & 98.

We didnt start the season well, but we came home strong and went into the finals with some good form.

I was gutted after this game as I knew it was going to be an uphill battle to beat Brisbane away the next week, and that we had blown our chance

I agree, in 1999, our biggest loss as I recall was no more than about 4 goals, there were no thrashings or blow outs. I too was gutted as we should have won that game against the Weagles. It was the strangest night with the hot wind blowing the ball all over the place. Stevie Kolyniok nearly pinched that game for us.

aker39
18-10-2007, 09:47 AM
I have never seen that game.

My wife and I travelled overseas for 12 months in 1999.

I had convinced her that if the Dogs made the GF we were coming home for 2 weeks and then going back to Europe.

I remember following the game on the internet. The AFL site was crap back then to. I got a written description of what was happening. I knew after that lose that there was very little chance of us making the GF, but for the Brisbane game I rang home every 15 minutes to get score updates.

Anyhow, the lose to the Eagles, thus having to go to Brisbane, probably saved me about $4,000.

I'll get a copy of the game one day and sit down and watch it.

Sockeye Salmon
18-10-2007, 12:09 PM

Don't bother. It will only do your head in.

LostDoggy
18-10-2007, 01:19 PM
I was OS at the time too.
Reading how the top 4 were dominant that season, I was surprised we lost and after the Brisbane loss just thought it was another choke.

Mantis
18-10-2007, 01:46 PM
There was a thread related to this game on BF a while back. In that thread I questioned Dimma's game. He had something like 15 kicks and kicked 7 of those out on the full. I got shouted down, but my memory of this game was of our poor field kicking due to the wind and poor technique's. And yes Grant did kick a couple out on the full too..

Raw Toast
18-10-2007, 05:27 PM

No need to watch that game unless you feel the need for some extra pain and frustration.

Awful conditions and an awful game. I could be wrong but I think we only just beat West Coast a few weeks before at Princes Park so we should've been more ready for a tough scrap.

One of those games where we never quite got going, but we were never out of it either. I think we kicked a goal with about 30 seconds remaining and then could've won it in the final passage of play but someone (Alvey? Contessa?) stuffed the kick to Hudson - it bounced a fair bit before him and he wasn't able to do much with it.

Was that Contessa's last game? I think he'd been told he had to do a set number of things to keep his place, and he reckoned he had, but he had but he was dropped anyway and I think then delisted as well.

Sockeye Salmon
18-10-2007, 05:40 PM
One of those games where we never quite got going, but we were never out of it either. I think we kicked a goal with about 30 seconds remaining and then could've won it in the final passage of play but someone (Alvey? Contessa?) stuffed the kick to Hudson - it bounced a fair bit before him and he wasn't able to do much with it.

It was Alvey

Palace03
20-10-2007, 01:56 PM

Absolutly, we beat West Coast in Round 21 by 2 points and Port by 10 goals in Round 22. We had also belted the Roos in the middle of the year, and lost to Essendon by a kick.

I remember sitting at the game just waiting for it to all click, we were on top everywhere bar the scoreboard. We made alot of mistakes, but I always felt we'd pinch it especially when Billy kicked that late goal to get it back under a goal.

1999 was as much a waste as 97 + 98 were, you could tell that game knocked the stuffing out of us at the Gabba the next week.

Dry Rot
20-10-2007, 02:35 PM
Absolutly, we beat West Coast in Round 21 by 2 points and Port by 10 goals in Round 22. We had also belted the Roos in the middle of the year, and lost to Essendon by a kick.

I remember sitting at the game just waiting for it to all click, we were on top everywhere bar the scoreboard. We made alot of mistakes, but I always felt we'd pinch it especially when Billy kicked that late goal to get it back under a goal.

1999 was as much a waste as 97 + 98 were, you could tell that game knocked the stuffing out of us at the Gabba the next week.

Welcome to WOOF Palace03.

Totally agree with the last statement, and strange that most people only think of '97 and '98 in that way.

Raw Toast
20-10-2007, 05:29 PM
Welcome to WOOF Palace03.

Totally agree with the last statement, and strange that most people only think of '97 and '98 in that way.

2000 became a waste as well when we stupidly lost round 22 to Hawthorn after having put ourselves in a decent position with the ripper wins against the Blues, Pies and Dons.

Sockeye Salmon
21-10-2007, 12:43 AM
2000 became a waste as well when we stupidly lost round 22 to Hawthorn after having put ourselves in a decent position with the ripper wins against the Blues, Pies and Dons.

We lost that match because of idiot Wallace. We beat Essendon the week before using a mega-flood and it seemed obvious to me that we would do it again the following week, and we did.

We were a better side than Hawthorn and if we had played a conventional style would have won but Wallace had to show how clever he was.