PDA

View Full Version : Matthew Fuller

GVGjr
21-11-2013, 09:02 PM
Somewhat of a surprise selection at pick 42.

Welcome aboard Matthew Fuller

Eastdog
21-11-2013, 09:03 PM
Welcome to the Bulldogs Matthew. How did he go at his local club Norwood.

GVGjr
21-11-2013, 09:04 PM
I can see this being a great selection. His kicking skills out of the backline is exactly what we need.

Eastdog
21-11-2013, 09:05 PM
I can see this being a great selection. His kicking skills out of the backline is exactly what we need.

Hopefully your right GVG.

always right
21-11-2013, 09:06 PM
Drafting for a need. I like it.

Cyberdoggie
21-11-2013, 09:07 PM
Christian Howard replacement? :p

Similar position and big left foot at least.

Mid aged recruit it an interesting choice.

Hotdog60
21-11-2013, 09:09 PM
At 23 he's ready made.

LostDoggy
21-11-2013, 09:10 PM
Cam Howard replacement? :p

Similar position and big left foot at least.

Mid aged recruit it an interesting choice.

Christian Howard? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Be interesting to see how this one pans out. Happy to trust the club staff but pretty surprised.

The Coon Dog
21-11-2013, 09:12 PM
Found this write up on Big Footy:

Fuller is best known for his kicking and rightly so. He has a huge left boot that goes further and quicker than defenders expect. You will regularly see defenders playing for a normal kick and then being forced to try and scramble back and recover. Not only is he very long but on those kicks he has a great ability to pick out targets. He is not a guy that just bombs it long and hopes for the best. He will identify a target and then put the ball where his teammate has the best chance to get it. Like most backs he doesn’t mind a ping at the goals when he gets the chance and he has fantastic range as demonstrated by his goal from 60m out in the SANFL GF. Fuller is a natural left footer and is quite dominant on that foot but when forced onto his right he also has great penetration and I cannot think of any player with such good penetration off his non-preferred.

What makes Fuller so good by foot is not just his long kicking but also that he assesses situations and will take the good short or intermediate target if that is the best option. He hits the shorter targets just as well as the longer targets. He will on occasions lack a bit of urgency when he stops to assess and this could cause some difficulties with press defenses at AFL level. Fuller loves to go for short dashes from defense, usually not more than 20m or so and then kick the ball. He charges hard in these runs and when you combine that running with the length of his kicks defenses often struggle to adapt and the ball will quickly find its way behind zones. When he absolutely has to he will handball and he is solid by hand but nothing really more than that.

Fuller is strong through the hips and has a decent step and change of direction. He likes to attack with and without the ball and will accelerate quickly. I don’t think he has great top end speed but he makes good use of the pace that he does have. He gets up to full speed quickly and is often on opponents before they are properly set and with his core strength he will brush through the tackle. He makes good decisions about when to run with the ball and when to give off. When he is caught in a difficult situation he has the evasiveness necessary to buy himself time.

As I have mentioned he is a small defender and is not going to be considered as anything else. Defensively he is a capable one on one defender who when he chooses to help out he usually does a good job of it. He is not someone who zones off a lot but when he does he is a good judge of the ball in the air and is a capable mark. He is not a flyer at the back and if he needs to get off the ground in a contested marking situation he will virtually always go the spoil. It certainly seems like he enjoys a good spoil. He dislocated his shoulder before last year’s grand final and had to have shoulder surgery. It has been noted that he was stronger in the air in years past but that he did seem to start to get more confidence back in his marking as the year progressed.

As mentioned above he is a strong guy and he uses his body well in contested situations. I think he might have trouble with some of the quicker and more tricky AFL small forwards but generally I think he will hold his own. He is certainly better defensively than Terlich who got his chance last year. A comparison I have heard a lot to describe how he goes about things is Guerra and that is pretty apt. He is a quite aggressive guy who doesn’t mind things getting a bit physical.

One thing which I would have liked to see is for him get more of the ball. He does not get off his man often enough to present as an option and as you might imagine teams will put some effort into stopping him from getting the ball. He needs to up his running ability and to get to space and be someone that his teammates can use. Even at AFL level his team is going to want the ball in his hands and he has to work harder to make that happen.

Fuller is said to have a good work ethic and he identified that his kicking was potentially his selling feature and he has really worked on honing his skill to get it where it is now. He was being looked at by teams in 2011 before suffering a major leg injury I think, the recovery for which carried over to 2012. This year is the first year since then where he has been fully fit and he has made the most of it. I think the willingness to work and make the most of his opportunities would make him a good role model in any team but most especially for a younger group. He is an SANFL premiership player and is capable of starting from day one and he could be a real weapon if used correctly. Although they are fairly different physically I would set up Fuller to play the way Gold Coast has done for Trent McKenzie and that kind of drive is what he could give from defense against modern zone set ups. He elongates zones and creates space just by being out there.

LostDoggy
21-11-2013, 09:14 PM
http://m.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-29/fuller-kept-under-wraps

The Doctor
21-11-2013, 09:17 PM
yet another gilbee replacement?

LostDoggy
21-11-2013, 09:20 PM
Geez excited about Fuller!

The Bulldogs Bite
21-11-2013, 09:38 PM
Looks a really good pick. Love that left foot and his decision making.

boydogs
21-11-2013, 09:55 PM
yet another gilbee replacement?

We have Goodes, Murphy and Picken to replace, and Howard and Wood aren't coming along as expected

Eastdog
21-11-2013, 09:57 PM
We have Goodes, Murphy and Picken to replace, and Howard and Wood aren't coming along as expected

Wood may be a late bloomer.

Go_Dogs
21-11-2013, 09:57 PM
He's a great pick up for us. Happy with this one.

always right
21-11-2013, 10:08 PM
Looks like he has the potential to become our Shannon Hurn and a fan favourite. Fills an age group need as well.

GVGjr
21-11-2013, 10:11 PM
Looks like he has the potential to become our Shannon Hurn and a fan favourite. Fills an age group need as well.

Terrific observation.

bornadog
21-11-2013, 10:15 PM
Could play from round one if his fitness level is up to AFL standard.

Eastdog
21-11-2013, 10:18 PM
Could play from round one if his fitness level is up to AFL standard.

Do you think it would be a surprise if he started in Round 1.

always right
21-11-2013, 10:21 PM

He's been playing senior football. He's a chance.

Eastdog
21-11-2013, 10:21 PM
He's been playing senior football. He's a chance.

In that case then certainly a chance.

LostDoggy
21-11-2013, 10:38 PM
Could be competition for Goodes and highlight package looks very good.

LostDoggy
21-11-2013, 11:45 PM
Looks like a good guy for out kick outs which have been pretty ordinary.

bornadog
21-11-2013, 11:53 PM
Looks like a good guy for out kick outs which have been pretty ordinary.

Kicked a big 60 metre goal in the GF.

The Adelaide Connection
22-11-2013, 01:12 AM
Kicked a big 60 metre goal in the GF.

http://youtu.be/USBWPdH6wt4

About the 50 second mark

Remi Moses
22-11-2013, 01:36 AM

Picked him in the reckoning of being available round 1

westdog54
22-11-2013, 09:38 AM
There seems to be a clear intent from the list management people to have a list of well-seasoned players who have several years within the club but not bordering on retirement, ready to win a flag in 4-5 years time. Dickson, Campbell, Young, Stevens and now Fuller. It may well have been Ben Brown if not Fuller.

Don't mind this selection, don't mind this at all.

Our drafting in 2-3 years time will need to be spot on to fill the gap that this drafting strategy will leave.

comrade
22-11-2013, 10:04 AM
Our drafting in 2-3 years time will need to be spot on to fill the gap that this drafting strategy will leave.

The irony is that we're trying to fill the gap from our drafting errors of 4-6 years ago, by bringing in more mature players now.

Go_Dogs
22-11-2013, 10:08 AM
The irony is that we're trying to fill the gap from our drafting errors of 4-6 years ago, by bringing in more mature players now.

I don't see a real problem with it, we've still added a lot of kids over the past few years and all we are doing is adding in players who we think can add to us over the next 5-8 years but also provide a more immediate impact to make us more competitive in the shorter term.

I think it's a good strategy - why now improve the list quickly - no reason we can't shoot up the ladder a bit quicker than most suspect and be having a serious crack sooner rather than later.

bornadog
22-11-2013, 10:09 AM
From the HUN:

the Dogs have secured a ready-made defender in Norwood defender Matthew Fuller (pick 42).

The 23-year-old left-footer kicked a 55-metre bomb in the SANFL Grand Final that set recruiters hearts' racing, and at 180cm and 84kg can play on the half-back line alongside Michael Talia and Easton Wood.

Looks like the future HB line, but I am not sold on Wood playing there.

KT31
22-11-2013, 10:21 AM
From the HUN:

Looks like the future HB line, but I am not sold on Wood playing there.

I'm not sold on Wood making the grade, really needs a break out year this season.
Show a little but needs to show more for my liking.

LostDoggy
22-11-2013, 10:57 AM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-11-22/matthew-fuller-postdraft

Sounds like a ripper bloke as well.

KT31
22-11-2013, 11:13 AM
Sounds like he has his head screwed on right and will fit into our mould wonderfully.
On another note is Orazio Fantasia mentioned in the article any relation to James ?

LostDoggy
22-11-2013, 11:21 AM
Sounds like he has his head screwed on right and will fit into our mould wonderfully.
On another note is Orazio Fantasia mentioned in the article any relation to James ?

Nephew

Mofra
22-11-2013, 12:12 PM
Interesting to watch Dalrymple's draft recap, when he mentioned that Fuller was targetted at pick 42 and his heart was racing a bit in hoping he'd get to us.
He's clearly someone we are keen on - will be interesting to see who his competion for spots is, considering JJ is easily best 22, Picken surprisingly has some of the best stats in the comp when playing as a small defender and Goodes was brought in to play as a rebounder.

BulldogBelle
22-11-2013, 12:18 PM
So, Essendons assistant coach said he was a certainty to get drafted. Although we were into him first, still, is that enough to put him in the Crameri/Dickson/Campbell category? They must love us.

westdog54
22-11-2013, 12:59 PM
So, Essendons assistant coach said he was a certainty to get drafted. Although we were into him first, still, is that enough to put him in the Crameri/Dickson/Campbell category? They must love us.

You can almost picture Dalrymple turning to the Essendon table and giving a two-fingered salute, can't you?:D

Bulldog4life
22-11-2013, 01:02 PM
Love his long kicking. A treat to watch. Can get his own ball too. A very good get.

Ozza
22-11-2013, 01:11 PM
I'm not against the theory of getting in a 23 year old defender. Particularly, that he is a good kick - which we definitely need. But I would be interested to hear from those who have seen him play a bit.

I have only seen his highlights package - and nothing in that apart from the distance in his kicking, screamed to me that he would be an AFL player - its a ginormous jump from SANFL to AFL. But as I said - its not much of an opinion on some facts and figures, and 3 minutes of footage.

Go_Dogs
22-11-2013, 01:16 PM

To be fair, I believe Bassett made those comments whilst he was still at Norwood. Post GF win he made mention that Aish, Dumont and Fantasia as well as a couple of mature age players were all near certainties to go.

That he landed a gig at Essendon and they were apparently keen on Fuller does make me happy though. :D

Greystache
22-11-2013, 01:37 PM
I'm not against the theory of getting in a 23 year old defender. Particularly, that he is a good kick - which we definitely need. But I would be interested to hear from those who have seen him play a bit.

I have only seen his highlights package - and nothing in that apart from the distance in his kicking, screamed to me that he would be an AFL player - its a ginormous jump from SANFL to AFL. But as I said - its not much of an opinion on some facts and figures, and 3 minutes of footage.

That's a bit how I feel too after watching the brief highlights of him. The thing that really stood out was he struggled to make a decision, particularly quick decisions. More often than not he went short and sideways, otherwise bombed long. Hopefully those who've seen him play can alleviate those fears, but I saw a fair bit of Howard just with better kicking skills.

LostDoggy
22-11-2013, 01:49 PM
To be fair, I believe Bassett made those comments whilst he was still at Norwood. Post GF win he made mention that Aish, Dumont and Fantasia as well as a couple of mature age players were all near certainties to go.

That he landed a gig at Essendon and they were apparently keen on Fuller does make me happy though. :D

How's their form? Spend an eternity deciding on their first pick of Merrett when everyone knew that's who they'd take as soon as they got the Crameri swap.

Just a bunch of wankers.

Mofra
22-11-2013, 01:53 PM
How's their form? Spend an eternity deciding on their first pick of Merrett when everyone knew that's who they'd take as soon as they got the Crameri swap.

Just a bunch of wankers.
Quite a few had them linked to Apeness who was a surprise selection by Freo

LongWait
22-11-2013, 02:15 PM
Quite a few had them linked to Apeness who was a surprise selection by Freo

I was told by a reliable source this morning that Essendon were aiming to select Apeness and Fuller and missed out on both. Hawthorn were also into Fuller.

Mofra
22-11-2013, 02:37 PM
I was told by a reliable source this morning that Essendon were aiming to select Apeness and Fuller and missed out on both. Hawthorn were also into Fuller.
This news is a true gift.

You sir, are our Santa Claus.

bulldogsman
22-11-2013, 02:49 PM
Found this highlights package

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqmgf5ANvpk

bornadog
22-11-2013, 02:52 PM
link (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2013-11-22/fuller-finally-gets-afl-chance)

Sitting with his family at their local pub in Adelaide's east, 23-year-old Matthew Fuller watched on as the Western Bulldogs offered him a long-awaited AFL opportunity.

The left footer was a sure thing according to former Norwood coach Nathan Bassett, and the Bulldogs ensured the Essendon assistant's word remained solid by picking Fuller with pick No.42 at Thursday night's NAB AFL Draft.

Fuller and his family were joined at Mark Ricciuto's suburban hotel by fellow Redleg Orazio Fantasia, with Fantasia picked up by Essendon.

Speaking to AFL.com.au shortly after hearing his name read out, Fuller struggled to describe his overwhelming elation.

"A fair bit of excitement as you can imagine but a bit of relief too, all rolled into one," Fuller said.

"I was [at the pub] with my family and we were with Orazio Fantasia's family, so there was a fair bit of screaming and cheering going on.

"My phone has been going nuts – I had to come home to charge it because she was nearly out of battery."

Fuller said he was thrilled to be selected by the Bulldogs, who were the first AFL club to touch base during this year's SANFL finals campaign.

The club then flew him to Melbourne after his successful Grand Final victory over North Adelaide.

"They were the first to get in touch with me during the finals series and then flew me over after the Grand Final, so to get to a club that has showed so much faith in me is perfect," he said.

"All the coaches have called, a few of the guys too – they've already welcomed me in.

"They gave me an inkling that pick No.42 might be the one but I'm just so excited that it's happened."

With a senior SANFL premiership now under his belt, Fuller said he couldn't wait to test himself on the game's final and largest platform.

"That's really the only stage left for me to test myself both physically and mentally," he said.

"I don't care I'm heading interstate in the slightest, [I] couldn't care less, I'm just so happy to get this chance."

chef
22-11-2013, 02:57 PM
Sounds like another cracking kid. Liking this draft so much at this early stage.

LostDoggy
22-11-2013, 03:08 PM
I don't see a real problem with it, we've still added a lot of kids over the past few years and all we are doing is adding in players who we think can add to us over the next 5-8 years but also provide a more immediate impact to make us more competitive in the shorter term.

I think it's a good strategy - why now improve the list quickly - no reason we can't shoot up the ladder a bit quicker than most suspect and be having a serious crack sooner rather than later.

And before GC and GWS really hit their straps.

All I can add to this is: :D:D:D:D:D:D

With a senior SANFL premiership now under his belt, Fuller said he couldn't wait to test himself on the game's final and largest platform.

"That's really the only stage left for me to test myself both physically and mentally," he said.

"I don't care I'm heading interstate in the slightest, [I] couldn't care less, I'm just so happy to get this chance."

Another great attitude. I've detected a pattern, Captain…

bulldogsman
22-11-2013, 06:06 PM
Interesting to watch Dalrymple's draft recap, when he mentioned that Fuller was targetted at pick 42 and his heart was racing a bit in hoping he'd get to us.
He's clearly someone we are keen on - will be interesting to see who his competion for spots is, considering JJ is easily best 22, Picken surprisingly has some of the best stats in the comp when playing as a small defender and Goodes was brought in to play as a rebounder.

I wonder whether we would of drafted him at pick 26 if we had it. Anyone with any inside info know?

KT31
22-11-2013, 06:24 PM
Nephew

Thank you MRM.

Bulldog Joe
22-11-2013, 07:11 PM

You can almost picture Dalrymple turning to the Essendon table and giving a two-fingered salute, can't you?:D

Just reward for holding our ground in the Crameri trade. Any downgrading of this pick and he could well be at Essendon.

Will be even sweeter if he can really make an impact quickly.

boydogs
22-11-2013, 09:13 PM
That's a bit how I feel too after watching the brief highlights of him. The thing that really stood out was he struggled to make a decision, particularly quick decisions. More often than not he went short and sideways, otherwise bombed long. Hopefully those who've seen him play can alleviate those fears, but I saw a fair bit of Howard just with better kicking skills.

Where you see slow decision maker, I see careful with the ball. The highlights package in post 47 is more promising.

boydogs
22-11-2013, 09:22 PM

You'd get them all at 23 if you could, saves the years of development to maybe get them to AFL standard.

LostDoggy
23-11-2013, 11:32 AM
Plus we've taken 2 kids, 2 mature and then 5 kids last year. Think its a pretty normal mix really that won't unbalance future years?

w3design
24-11-2013, 04:39 PM
On looking at Fuller's highlights packages, a couple of things that were particularly encouraging. First he uses his body pretty well in a contested situation despite not being overly tall. Then it is really positive to see that he is perfectly comfortable using his non preferred right foot when that is his best option, with seemingly no drop off in accuracy.

Goodsy was what, 28 when we took him last season. After young Fuller gets a season to adjust to the AFL level [ pace etc.] Goodsy will be 30... ready made replacement ?

The Bulldogs Bite
24-11-2013, 04:45 PM
The comparisons between Fuller and Guerra look absolutely spot on. Whether Matt can translate that to AFL level is yet to be determined, but in pure playing style, it's uncanny.

Neither are athletes/overly quick, but use their stocky body well, position themselves well and use the ball exceptionally well.

bornadog
24-11-2013, 06:16 PM
On looking at Fuller's highlights packages, a couple of things that were particularly encouraging. First he uses his body pretty well in a contested situation despite not being overly tall. Then it is really positive to see that he is perfectly comfortable using his non preferred right foot when that is his best option, with seemingly no drop off in accuracy.

Goodsy was what, 28 when we took him last season. After young Fuller gets a season to adjust to the AFL level [ pace etc.] Goodsy will be 30... ready made replacement ?

Will be 30 in February

w3design
24-11-2013, 06:29 PM
Yeah, sorry. I was too busy to hunt down his precise age when I posted. I did think he might have been older than 28 when drafted, but decided on a conservative guess, not wanting to age him prematurely.

GVGjr
24-11-2013, 06:37 PM

What isn't evident to me is his pace and stamina. With limits on IC rotations it's imperative that players have a good level of stamina. If Fuller is to be ready from round one next season then I think he will need to do the hard yards over the summer months.

bornadog
24-11-2013, 06:37 PM
Yeah, sorry. I was too busy to hunt down his precise age when I posted. I did think he might have been older than 28 when drafted, but decided on a conservative guess, not wanting to age him prematurely.

Fuller could be the ideal replacement, as you say, after getting a year in.

bornadog
25-11-2013, 02:54 PM
What Macca said:

A threatening left boot rebounding from defence makes Fuller a solid mature aged acquisition at pick 42 and adds a ready-made defender into the mix come team selection in 2014.

“He is an elite kick, a powerful kick. He will be able to play on good forwards and use the ball well for us across half back,” he said.

bornadog
06-08-2014, 02:44 PM
Bump

Out for the rest of the season due to his shoulder? Hasn't shown much at VFL level in my opinion and I question why we drafted him.

Do we bite the bullet and say we made a mistake drafting him?

SlimPickens
06-08-2014, 02:49 PM
Bump

Out for the rest of the season due to his shoulder? Hasn't shown much at VFL level in my opinion and I question why we drafted him.

I'm with you on this BAD. Have watched Matt alot this year, he isn't up to VFL standard let alone AFL. I'd move him on.

Bulldog Joe
06-08-2014, 03:22 PM
Bump

He has had trouble with the shoulder all year, so perhaps there are mitigating circumstances.

I know we need to make space on the list, but it may be worth letting him get his fitness right and have a full pre-season.

Would not be averse to him being moved to the rookie list. That is delist and redraft as a rookie.

Greystache
06-08-2014, 03:23 PM
Agree with Slim. He hasn't been able to step up the level to VFL football, it would be a waste to keep him on for a second season.

I know there was a bit of excitement around the traps last year, but watching his highlightsm I couldn't see what anyone saw in him.

LostDoggy
06-08-2014, 03:25 PM
I'm with you on this BAD. Have watched Matt alot this year, he isn't up to VFL standard let alone AFL. I'd move him on.

+1 Very disappointing at VFL level back to SANFL where he can dominate:). We tried a similar pick with Puopolo a few years ago but got pipped by Hawthorn by one pick. Would have been a very handy little pick up!

bulldogtragic
06-08-2014, 03:30 PM
When applying 'win some - lose some' theories on anything, especially AFL recruits/players it's imperative the 'lose some' players are moved on ASAP or we perpetuate the 'lose' going forward. Looks like taking punts young men not at the elite level in SA might be a recruiting weakness maybe?

LostDoggy
06-08-2014, 03:48 PM
Kick a kid while he's down. First year in, few injuries, moved from another state. Give him another year at least. We've kept crap on our list for much longer than Fuller trying to chase a return e.g Cordy and Howard. There'll be enough room on the list without needing to demote/delist him. Be more worried about the idiocy of promoting a 30 year old bit player to the primary like we did with Goodes before worrying about Fuller.

LostDoggy
06-08-2014, 04:15 PM
Kick a kid while he's down. First year in, few injuries, moved from another state. Give him another year at least. We've kept crap on our list for much longer than Fuller trying to chase a return e.g Cordy and Howard. There'll be enough room on the list without needing to demote/delist him. Be more worried about the idiocy of promoting a 30 year old bit player to the primary like we did with Goodes before worrying about Fuller.

It's not like he is an 18 year old kid just drafted and waiting for his body or mind to mature, he's a 24 year old man, and a spud at VFL level. He would have made an immediate impact or he won't at all, unfortunately it is the latter.

The Doctor
06-08-2014, 04:48 PM
Agree with everyone else in that a draft pick was wasted on him.

However, Macca has shown a fair bit of loyalty to those on the list who have struggled. I refer to Redpath, Jong, greenwood, Cordy, Howard, Tutt and others. I would not be surprised if he is given more time.

bornadog
06-08-2014, 04:51 PM
Agree with everyone else in that a draft pick was wasted on him.

However, Macca has shown a fair bit of loyalty to those on the list who have struggled. I refer to Redpath, Jong, greenwood, Cordy, Howard, Tutt and others. I would not be surprised if he is given more time.

Lower says hello

BulldogBelle
06-08-2014, 04:56 PM
Fuller has been on the list for a year, and if the club thought he wasn't worth that he would have been rookied. I'm sure he'll go around again. There are many more on the existing list that have had more than ample opportunity to make an impact and have made none. I'm expecting (and hoping) for a good number of players to be moved on at the end of this year, and Fuller isn't one of them.

The Doctor
06-08-2014, 05:37 PM
Lower says hello

From the Whitten Oval?

but you get what I mean?

Sedat
06-08-2014, 05:46 PM
Worthwhile selection based on list needs but it hasn't panned out. At 23yo we should not be wasting a senior list spot on him in 2015. Happy to delist and rookie but agree with rationale to move quickly on draft errors with mature players.

Greystache
06-08-2014, 06:17 PM
Fuller has been on the list for a year, and if the club thought he wasn't worth that he would have been rookied. I'm sure he'll go around again. There are many more on the existing list that have had more than ample opportunity to make an impact and have made none. I'm expecting (and hoping) for a good number of players to be moved on at the end of this year, and Fuller isn't one of them.

I can't remember a player struggling as badly at VFL level as Fuller has, certainly none who are in their mid 20's. Some games he's only managed 5 or 6 possessions as a rebounding half back in a good team. If he was a player at a stand alone VFL club he'd have been playing reserves and I would expect be delisted at season's end.

Go_Dogs
06-08-2014, 06:48 PM
I'm pretty surprised by how he's gone after being a good performer at Norwood for a few years prior.

Hard to disagree with the consensus though, that we should strongly consider moving him on at the end of the year.

Twodogs
06-08-2014, 07:11 PM
I can't remember a player struggling as badly at VFL level as Fuller has, certainly none who are in their mid 20's. Some games he's only managed 5 or 6 possessions as a rebounding half back in a good team. If he was a player at a stand alone VFL club he'd have been playing reserves and I would expect be delisted at season's end.

I can't remember him getting a touch early in the season.

lemmon
06-08-2014, 07:48 PM
From the little I have seen I don't mind his work defensively, has the nice athletic qualities with his spring and pace you want in a small back but realistically as others have mentioned it's probably not enough to buy him much time with how little footy he has won. It's just part and parcel with being a mature age recruit, instant impact is expected.

Unless something changes drastically we probably part ways at the end of the year. Who knows, he may end as one of the very few Footscray premiership players.

boydogs
06-08-2014, 08:08 PM
I think we're stretching to think his shoulder issue explains his limited impact. Not holding out much hope for him and comfortable with delisting him

Maddog37
06-08-2014, 08:12 PM
The day he played at Ballarat earlier in the year he was off and on the ground and looked in terrible pain all day. Seemed the same most weeks. I'm not sure he will be kept on but I don't reckon he has been right all year.

westdog54
07-08-2014, 09:56 AM
I wonder if he may end up swapping spots with Austin and going back to the rookie list.

I'd be mighty annoyed if we've spent a second rounder only to delist him a year later

The Underdog
07-08-2014, 11:42 AM
I wonder if he may end up swapping spots with Austin and going back to the rookie list.

I'd be mighty annoyed if we've spent a second rounder only to delist him a year later

Wasn't he a 3rd (42ish)?Our 2nd went to Essendon. Not much difference, appears to be a miss either way.

Happy Days
07-08-2014, 12:18 PM
Agree with the majority here, I liked the idea behind the selection (trying to fill a need and a demographic in one swoop) but it just hasn't worked.

A big part of being a designated kicker out of the back half is the ability to find the ball; it's what makes guys like Suckling, Smith, Hanley and Malceski so important to their sides. He can't separate and free himself up to be used in such a way and hasn't really demonstrated the ability to perform any other role both pre or post drafting (actual defender, forward flanker, whatever), and at 23 you would think that if this was ever going to occur, at least glimpses would have been shown by now.

doggies ftw
07-08-2014, 12:48 PM
The thing is he was absolutely fantastic in the SANFL, best half back in the league. Its not like he was only playing NEAFL or something, the SANFL is just as good as the VFL so its just strange he has been so poor. What that tells me is he isn't right, it can be pretty tough for a mature ager to just up his life and move states, maybe even harder than a young kid. He has had shoulder issues all year too and they've obviously hurt him a bit, also like Darley he has probably been asked to work on his defensive craft first.

He will be on the list next year and I hope like hell he shows us a bit more of why we drafted him.

Greystache
07-08-2014, 01:48 PM
The thing is he was absolutely fantastic in the SANFL, best half back in the league. Its not like he was only playing NEAFL or something, the SANFL is just as good as the VFL so its just strange he has been so poor. What that tells me is he isn't right, it can be pretty tough for a mature ager to just up his life and move states, maybe even harder than a young kid. He has had shoulder issues all year too and they've obviously hurt him a bit, also like Darley he has probably been asked to work on his defensive craft first.

He will be on the list next year and I hope like hell he shows us a bit more of why we drafted him.

The general consensus from players has been it's a big step up from SANFL or WAFL to VFL. Not as big obviously as VFL to AFL, but a step up none the less.

F'scary
07-08-2014, 09:41 PM
Fuller should join Howard, Pearce, Cordy and Goodes on the correct list. Not the A List. Not the B or C List. We are talking D List.

Throughandthrough
07-08-2014, 11:10 PM
The general consensus from players has been it's a big step up from SANFL or WAFL to VFL. Not as big obviously as VFL to AFL, but a step up none the less.

I'd argue that VFL and SANFL are very similar levels. Can't really comment on WAFL but no reason why that would be much different either. #oldarguement.

Greystache
08-08-2014, 12:07 AM
I'd argue that VFL and SANFL are very similar levels. Can't really comment on WAFL but no reason why that would be much different either. #oldarguement.

Just going by what the players say. They find the step up to VFL is noticeable.

bornadog
08-08-2014, 12:16 AM

I think with the amount of AFL players on the lists in Victoria that play VFL, would make the VFL stronger. Certainly take them out and the competitions are more even.

jeemak
10-08-2014, 01:12 AM

I'd bet that a good game between two good SANFL teams versus two good VFL teams wouldn't be a lot different in skill and overall talent. Perhaps it would be a bit different if you were to compare things at the bottom end of each league.

With mature age recruits you want immediate results, sometimes without acknowledging they're facing a fair amount of the same issues younger recruits are facing. I'd be surprised if we actually thought Fuller was going to be an immediate impact player, irrespective of his struggles with Footscray this year.

Whether we drop him or not isn't really a worry for me. Perhaps he has more to give after another preseason.

F'scary
10-08-2014, 01:56 PM
I'd bet that a good game between two good SANFL teams versus two good VFL teams wouldn't be a lot different in skill and overall talent. Perhaps it would be a bit different if you were to compare things at the bottom end of each league.

With mature age recruits you want immediate results, sometimes without acknowledging they're facing a fair amount of the same issues younger recruits are facing. I'd be surprised if we actually thought Fuller was going to be an immediate impact player, irrespective of his struggles with Footscray this year.

Whether we drop him or not isn't really a worry for me. Perhaps he has more to give after another preseason.

What do you think, Jeemak, about the scenario that we keep giving players one more season and we end up with a lot of list cloggers. I think we are very close to that right now. I think the strategy should be to clear a number of spots, let us say 6 to 9 and that requires some ruthlessness.

jeemak
10-08-2014, 02:31 PM
This year we'll have Goodes, Howard, Williams and Giansiracusa opening spots up, with perhaps Pearce, Tutt and Higgins being candidates to either delist, trade or rookie (I'd personally shop Picken around to see if there's second round value available for his services - but I wouldn't have thought that move would be popular around here).

I don't actually see any of the rookies being given an upgrade this year, maybe aside from Redpath. Whilst Austin is getting games at present I'm not entirely convinced it's because we see him as our future, but I could be wrong.

So I think we'll have at least six spare spots on the senior list to fill plus a replenishment of the rookie list, which for me is sufficient.

Honouring a draftees contract is important, especially if there's not been any attitudinal issues affecting training and match performances.

F'scary
10-08-2014, 02:40 PM
This year we'll have Goodes, Howard, Williams and Giansiracusa opening spots up, with perhaps Pearce, Tutt and Higgins being candidates to either delist, trade or rookie (I'd personally shop Picken around to see if there's second round value available for his services - but I wouldn't have thought that move would be popular around here).

I don't actually see any of the rookies being given an upgrade this year, maybe aside from Redpath. Whilst Austin is getting games at present I'm not entirely convinced it's because we see him as our future, but I could be wrong.

So I think we'll have at least six spare spots on the senior list to fill plus a replenishment of the rookie list, which for me is sufficient.

Honouring a draftees contract is important, especially if there's not been any attitudinal issues affecting training and match performances.

Thanks Jeemak, appreciate the insight.

soupman
10-08-2014, 08:21 PM

Good summation.

I think the only complicating factor is that none of our rookies can be kept as rookies, because they all hit that three year wall now. Each one we promote takes one of those precious main list spots, and I would expect Austin will get promoted and at least one of Jong or Redpath (I don't necessarily agree with these calls, just what I think will happen).

Sedat
11-08-2014, 01:04 AM
Whilst Austin is getting games at present I'm not entirely convinced it's because we see him as our future, but I could be wrong.
Austin was solid again today. He's doing everything asked of him to get upgraded to the senior list in 2015, and I think our key defensive stocks need every bit of reinforcement they can get.

jeemak
11-08-2014, 11:08 AM
Austin was solid again today. He's doing everything asked of him to get upgraded to the senior list in 2015, and I think our key defensive stocks need every bit of reinforcement they can get.

With Morris entering his twilight it may be worthwhile in having Austin on the list for two years. I think he performed quite well yesterday and as you say, he has been solid in the second half of this year.

F'scary
12-08-2014, 10:27 PM

Week after week, he gets picked ahead of the obvious candidates.

GVGjr
12-08-2014, 11:10 PM

Because he is performing better. The match committee wants to win games.

Throughandthrough
12-08-2014, 11:55 PM

Curious comment. Aussie is playing every match like it might be his last. Need to bottle his g and d and spread it around.

F'scary
13-08-2014, 11:34 PM
Curious comment. Aussie is playing every match like it might be his last. Need to bottle his g and d and spread it around.

My comment is to his credit.

Twodogs
14-08-2014, 12:07 AM
My comment is to his credit.

As in he's keeping his place in he team on merit ahead of better creditentaled players.

F'scary
14-08-2014, 01:41 PM
As in he's keeping his place in he team on merit ahead of better creditentaled players.

Yes 2D.