PDA

View Full Version : Mitchell Honeychurch

GVGjr
21-11-2013, 09:13 PM
Another skillful mid to the squad

Eastdog
21-11-2013, 09:14 PM
Don't know a lot about him. Has anyone watched him in action with Vermont.

Cyberdoggie
21-11-2013, 09:21 PM
Only 175cm, has a bit of a Dahlhaus about him in that he's lively and at the contest.

Looks like a real goer and will be a fan favorite for his endeavour i think.

always right
21-11-2013, 09:23 PM
Looks to have clean hands, good pace and neat disposal.....and loves the contest...surprise surprise.

LostDoggy
21-11-2013, 09:28 PM
Only 175cm, has a bit of a Dahlhaus about him in that he's lively and at the contest.

Looks like a real goer and will be a fan favorite for his endeavour i think.

Thanks. Happy with the pick then.

josie
21-11-2013, 09:37 PM
http://www.scpaige.com.au/draftees-in-focus-mitch-honeychurch/#more-5351

Also from SEN Inside Football quote from Eastern Region Manager:
in his VCE year worked two jobs & played TAC footy. Zest for life unrivalled.Competitive, instinctive, demands ball and demands excellence in teamates.

Sounds like a goer to me (Hrovat clone?).

Eastdog
21-11-2013, 09:38 PM
http://www.scpaige.com.au/draftees-in-focus-mitch-honeychurch/#more-5351

Also from SEN Inside Football quote from Eastern Region Manager:
in his VCE year worked two jobs & played TAC footy. Zest for life unrivalled.Competitive, instinctive, demands ball and demands excellence in teamates.

Sounds like a goer to me (Hrovat clone?).

Sounds like his very motivated which is great to hear.

The Bulldogs Bite
21-11-2013, 09:39 PM
Great attitude, work ethic and he can play ... but I am not sure how he fits in given we have a number of smaller players already.

stefoid
21-11-2013, 09:45 PM
Slot him in as a crumbing small forward, releasing Dal to the midfield. Looks like he doesnt die wondering when the ball hits the deck - will cause defenders to shit themselves in that situation close to goal.

Reckon we got a midfiedler in Darley, a small defender in fuller, a small forward in honeychurch, a 3rd tall in Crameri and of course a big mid in Bonts.

Mofra
21-11-2013, 09:50 PM
I don't want to harp on - but good > tall.

I was surprised to find out that Hrovat has had an 8 mark game among his 7 AFL games, performance-wise there's not much more Honeychurch could have done to get a shot at AFL

The Bulldogs Bite
21-11-2013, 09:51 PM
Slot him in as a crumbing small forward, releasing Dal to the midfield. Looks like he doesnt die wondering when the ball hits the deck - will cause defenders to shit themselves in that situation close to goal.

Reckon we got a midfiedler in Darley, a small defender in fuller, a small forward in honeychurch, a 3rd tall in Crameri and of course a big mid in Bonts.

Personally I think Dahl should remain as a forward/mid and not the other way around.

LostDoggy
21-11-2013, 09:58 PM
Great attitude, work ethic and he can play ... but I am not sure how he fits in given we have a number of smaller players already.

Let's hope he plays so well that the discussion becomes about how the other players can fit in.

LostDoggy
21-11-2013, 10:02 PM
Had heard of a bit of interest in him, so not all that surprising a selection

LongWait
21-11-2013, 10:03 PM
You'd have to say that picking an All-Australian with pick #60 is worth a punt.

bornadog
21-11-2013, 10:11 PM

Good point and great get. Good luck with the Doggies.

ReLoad
21-11-2013, 10:33 PM
His Player profile image is a cracker:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/dd/Dr._Bunsen_Honeydew.jpg/200px-Dr._Bunsen_Honeydew.jpg

jeemak
22-11-2013, 12:06 AM
His profile reads really well.

All Australian after the champs, good kick and hungry. Happy days.

Now to feed him. Feed him some more, add some food and then get him on the weights.

Sedat
22-11-2013, 12:11 AM
His national championship numbers are top shelf elite. MVP for Vic Metro and AA at pick 60 sounds to me like a good get.

boydogs
22-11-2013, 12:12 AM

MVP for Vic Metro wasn't he?

jeemak
22-11-2013, 12:43 AM
MVP for Vic Metro wasn't he?

Yeah, and AA. Good performance at the right time.

Throughandthrough
22-11-2013, 12:51 AM
I don't follow the tac cup. Was his coach Nick Stevens last year

FrediKanoute
22-11-2013, 01:38 AM
I think this is a good get. Puts pressure on guys like Pearce and Prudden. MVP for Vic Metro means the boy can play. I suspect clubs were put off by his lack of height.

Remi Moses
22-11-2013, 03:38 AM
Very good get at pick 60 .
Some phantom drafts had him going earlier than that .

comrade
22-11-2013, 08:55 AM
I like the pick and was impressed when I saw him up close in the TAC Cup GF.

But he is tiny. You just can't have too many sub 180cm(ish) players in your side, especially in the midfield as you can't compete physically which means he'll only ever be a forward. We already have Dahl down there who is basically a carbon copy.

Can we play 2 of the same type? Are we expecting Dahl to play more midfield time over the coming years?

Interesting.

KT31
22-11-2013, 09:16 AM
Welcome to the Doggies Mitchell, all the best for a long and exciting career with us.
At pick 60, with his credentials, he seems to be a bargain.

Mantis
22-11-2013, 09:34 AM

But he is tiny. You just can't have too many sub 180cm(ish) players in your side, especially in the midfield as you can't compete physically which means he'll only ever be a forward. We already have Dahl down there who is basically a carbon copy.

Can we play 2 of the same type? Are we expecting Dahl to play more midfield time over the coming years?

Interesting.

We have Hrovat too.

comrade
22-11-2013, 10:02 AM
We have Hrovat too.

Good point, though I feel Hrovat plays a bit taller than his actual height (already has an 8 mark game against his name) and to me, is a genuine midfielder. He's built more solidly too, so I don't think he'll be ragdolled to the same extent as Honey and Dahl.

But we must be right at the limit of our sub 180cm quota. I know good > tall but height and size are in demand for a reason.

Go_Dogs
22-11-2013, 10:12 AM
Good point, though I feel Hrovat plays a bit taller than his actual height (already has an 8 mark game against his name) and to me, is a genuine midfielder. He's built more solidly too, so I don't think he'll be ragdolled to the same extent as Honey and Dahl.

But we must be right at the limit of our sub 180cm quota. I know good > tall but height and size are in demand for a reason.

I throw Lachie Hunter in the mix as well as that forward/midfield style of player - slightly different but similar if you know what I mean. We've got a lot of players now who can fill that sort of role for us.

LostDoggy
22-11-2013, 10:16 AM
All largely the reason we didn't go with Aish IMO.

Twodogs
22-11-2013, 10:42 AM

Yep. You could be right on the button there.

comrade
22-11-2013, 10:47 AM
I throw Lachie Hunter in the mix as well as that forward/midfield style of player - slightly different but similar if you know what I mean. We've got a lot of players now who can fill that sort of role for us.

Forgot Hunter, but yep, spot on.

Go_Dogs
22-11-2013, 10:50 AM

It's a valid point for sure - I wonder how much weight is put into the physical shape and size of the overall list when we make these decisions?

Ozza
22-11-2013, 12:03 PM
The highlights package for this kid - was phenomenal.

You get the feeling he won't die wondering.

Raw Toast
22-11-2013, 12:33 PM
I think when it comes to pick 60 you know the player will have deficiencies but hope they will also have the foundations to have a chance at a decent career - Honeychurch might be short, but most of the rest sounds good.

We need speed and smarts along with neat disposal is going to help - there have certainly been a fair few games in the past three years where we would have liked two of Dalhaus (as well as a few where we would have liked none!).

He sounds exactly like the kind of bargain that you hope for at pick 60.

Ozza
22-11-2013, 01:07 PM
Good assessment Raw Toast.

Bulldog4life
22-11-2013, 01:07 PM
Another good selection. He is a real terrier with great credentials too. Very happy with our selections overall.

stefoid
22-11-2013, 01:14 PM

Interesting.

I reckon...
Honey becomes a permanent small forward.
Dal and Hunter to become predominantly mids who rest forward.

Sedat
22-11-2013, 01:32 PM
I reckon...
Honey becomes a permanent small forward.
Dal and Hunter to become predominantly mids who rest forward.
Our midfield depth is really building - the mooted addition of JJ, Dahl and Hunter to the midfield mix in 2014 will add different skill sets and versatility to our midfield group in the future. Factor in Bonts as the taller in/out mid and we are starting to build something very significant in the middle. Worried about our ruck stocks and would love a key forward (who wouldn't) but the composition of the list is developing in a positive direction.

Bulldog4life
22-11-2013, 01:53 PM
Our midfield depth is really building - the mooted addition of JJ, Dahl and Hunter to the midfield mix in 2014 will add different skill sets and versatility to our midfield group in the future. Factor in Bonts as the taller in/out mid and we are starting to build something very significant in the middle. Worried about our ruck stocks and would love a key forward (who wouldn't) but the composition of the list is developing in a positive direction.

I wonder if they are looking at next years draft for the key forward seeing there wasn't a great selection this year.

Mofra
22-11-2013, 01:54 PM
I wonder if they are looking at next years draft for the key forward seeing there wasn't a great selection this year.
I still believe we went tall in Clayton's last year because we knew we had Wallis and Liberatore coming through.
Next year is touted as a better talls year.

Bulldog Joe
22-11-2013, 03:58 PM

The 8 marks are not a measure of playing tall. More a measure of an ability to find space. I would venture that his marks are predominantly uncontested.

Dahl is significantly taller than Hrovat and Honeychurch, but still looks a midget in current teams.

The Bulldogs Bite
22-11-2013, 04:00 PM
Dahl is significantly taller than Hrovat and Honeychurch, but still looks a midget in current teams.

Are you sure about this?

I haven't looked up their heights, but having met Dahl we were almost exactly the same height and I am 173cms. I don't think Hrovat/Honeychurch are smaller.

The heights listed by the clubs etc. are often not accurate.

Greystache
22-11-2013, 04:07 PM
Are you sure about this?

I haven't looked up their heights, but having met Dahl we were almost exactly the same height and I am 173cms. I don't think Hrovat/Honeychurch are smaller.

The heights listed by the clubs etc. are often not accurate.

Dahl's listed at 178cm but always seems shorter, Hrovat is listed as 174cm

No, the heights on the website are always correct, just ask some people, despite them changing wildly from month to month :D

I'm 190cm and was only a fraction taller than Griff, yet I tower over Prudden who was also listed at 188cm. He's now listed at 182cm so has lost 6cm since we drafted, but it's ok because 21 year old Tom Young gained 4cm during last season. Take their listed heights as little more than a guide.

dog town
22-11-2013, 04:34 PM
Hawthorn had 3 in the premiership win at under 180cm plus 2 right on the mark and a couple outside the 22. Geelong has quite a few of them too. We don't want 3 or 4 in our starting midfield but as long as it isn't getting too unbalanced I think the main criteria is whether they can play footy.

Don't mind this situation. He suits the type of player we seem to favor in that he comes back to the ball/contest all the time. Looks like he has a decent balance between inside and outside. A clever type which is something we are also starting to build with Dahl, Hunter, Libba, Hrovat also pretty intelligent players.

soupman
22-11-2013, 05:43 PM
Am I alone in being someone who couldn't care less how tall they are? Unless their height is integral to what they bring to the side why does it matter?

Sure a marking forward can use the extra height, you don't want your defenders to be undersized and all your KPP's are hopefully as big as possible, but outside of that I don't think it's an issue. 5cm is not the difference between a hard working creative midfielder that wins his own ball making the grade or not.

I'm happy that the club seems to have identified that you can get these quality midfielders like Hrovat and hopefully Honeychurch cheaply. They do everything right, but for the sake of being 5cm shorter than the average player in their position they get overlooked. If Hrovat was 182cm maybe he would have gone 5 picks earlier, despite that not giving him any more an advantage in the middle than his current height. The only time height matters in the midfield for mine is when the player is above the average, like Bontempelli hopefully. In those cases it gives them an asset on top of the skills all the other midfielders possess, but not having that extra height is not a deficiency.

I'm fine with us having all the midgets in our side at once, Hrovat, Dahlhaus, Honeychurch, Tutt etc. As long as they deliver in the areas their position requires, which doesn't involve anything requiring height, then it will work.

Maddog37
22-11-2013, 06:06 PM
Agree with that.

Bulldog Joe
22-11-2013, 07:02 PM
Dahl's listed at 178cm but always seems shorter, Hrovat is listed as 174cm

No, the heights on the website are always correct, just ask some people, despite them changing wildly from month to month :D

I'm 190cm and was only a fraction taller than Griff, yet I tower over Prudden who was also listed at 188cm. He's now listed at 182cm so has lost 6cm since we drafted, but it's ok because 21 year old Tom Young gained 4cm during last season. Take their listed heights as little more than a guide.

I am 182 and when I met Dahl he didn't seem much shorter while Hrovat was clearly significantly shorter when I met him.

Dahl is actually a pretty good contested mark overhead although he rarely needs to go for them.

I wouldn't have any confidence in Hrovat or Honeychurch being able to win a contested mark overhead, but then they will be more expected to be there for ground balls.

lemmon
23-11-2013, 02:49 PM
Big fan of this selection, we need to add some pace and spread through that midfield which Honeychurch seems to provide. Pacey, clean and skilled, yes please

ratsmac
24-11-2013, 10:15 AM
Height doesn't matter too much. I once saw Cooney win a centre bounce ruck contest against Dean Cox :D:D

Imagine playing Norf Melbourne with 3 Brent Harvey's running around. It would be a nightmare to try get suitable match ups.

Like others have already mentioned, as long as they can play footy and win their position, who gives a sh#@ how tall they are.

mighty_west
24-11-2013, 04:42 PM
Height doesn't matter too much. I once saw Cooney win a centre bounce ruck contest against Dean Cox :D:D

Imagine playing Norf Melbourne with 3 Brent Harvey's running around. It would be a nightmare to try get suitable match ups.

Like others have already mentioned, as long as they can play footy and win their position, who gives a sh#@ how tall they are.

Exactly, who would you rather playing at CHF, the 190cm Matty Pavlich or the taller Adam Morgan or James Sellar?

GVGjr
24-11-2013, 06:41 PM
I don't care that Honeychurch is only 175cm but it does complicate things to have so many similar types on the list.
If Tutt improves and Hrovat starts demanding a spot next season it would be almost impossible to find a spot of Honeychurch.

Not a bad problem to have but not a great one to have either.

ratsmac
24-11-2013, 09:06 PM
I don't care that Honeychurch is only 175cm but it does complicate things to have so many similar types on the list.
If Tutt improves and Hrovat starts demanding a spot next season it would be almost impossible to find a spot of Honeychurch.

If all these players a demanding a spot it is a good problem to have. It might come down to horses for courses. We will find out soon enough if playing too many smalls in the same side works of not.

wb_age
24-11-2013, 09:52 PM
Great article and gives plenty of insight to the way this kid goes about it.

http://www.sportingpulse.com/club_info.cgi?client=1-3020-111714-0-0&sID=56106&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=24519934

jeemak
24-11-2013, 09:59 PM

In four or five years time, when the Honeychurch is 23 and the other two are over 24 Griffen and Cooney will either be on their last legs or winding down and our midfield will need to regenerate.

Our midfield mix will change as players age, and we also need to prepare for players not developing how we'd like or being traded by the club, or leaving the club.

I like that the club isn't planning for blue sky scenarios where every player we already have makes the grade.

boydogs
24-11-2013, 10:09 PM
If all these players a demanding a spot it is a good problem to have. It might come down to horses for courses. We will find out soon enough if playing too many smalls in the same side works of not.

People are saying the same thing about Fuller, that we have too many small defenders now, and they said the same thing about Crameri, that we have too many tallish forwards.

LostDoggy
24-11-2013, 10:57 PM
Couldn't care about size only quality. In the last three years we have added so much depth. When I looked at our senior list going into 2010/11 I felt we had alot of trade bait. I look at the list now and I rekon we are going to be faced with some pretty tough decisions at the end of the year. At least you know the three we picked up will give it all they've got. Quite excited about honeychurch - sounds like he could be our Ballyntyne...

LostDoggy
24-11-2013, 11:21 PM
http://boundforglorynews.com/2013-draft-profile-mitch-honeychurch/

Make of this what you will. Massive wraps on this kid

mighty_west
24-11-2013, 11:21 PM
People are saying the same thing about Fuller, that we have too many small defenders now, and they said the same thing about Crameri, that we have too many tallish forwards.

And that Bontempelli was too similar to MacRae.

bornadog
24-11-2013, 11:52 PM
http://boundforglorynews.com/2013-draft-profile-mitch-honeychurch/

Make of this what you will. Massive wraps on this kid

Don't know who wrote the article but they really rate him.

The Bulldogs Bite
25-11-2013, 12:32 AM

Let's be honest, the odds of Tutt improving to the extent where he becomes a good player at AFL level is slim. People are attracted to his pace, but his game is poor in every other aspect.

I already have more confidence in Honeychurch.

Whether we can fit him in with Dahlhaus, Hrovat and Smith is a bigger question. The good thing is that those three have points of difference. All pretty flexible, too, and they're all strong over the ball despite their size.

I was against it at first but it might actually be OK, providing Honeychurch is also strong enough to compete.

jeemak
25-11-2013, 01:50 AM
Let's be honest, the odds of Tutt improving to the extent where he becomes a good player at AFL level is slim. People are attracted to his pace, but his game is poor in every other aspect.

I already have more confidence in Honeychurch.

Whether we can fit him in with Dahlhaus, Hrovat and Smith is a bigger question. The good thing is that those three have points of difference. All pretty flexible, too, and they're all strong over the ball despite their size.

I was against it at first but it might actually be OK, providing Honeychurch is also strong enough to compete.

Dunno TBB. Tutt is funnily enough in his fourth year on an AFL list, while Honeychurch has probably only trained with the group a few times at most.

Whilst I think the latter looks the goods and has great pedigree as a pure footballer, he still has to face a massive test in committing to the rigors of being a league footballer which is something Tutt - deficiencies aside - has been able to do to this point.

Jason Tutt works his arse off to be the fledgling footballer he is. Hopefully Honeychurch works as hard and gives himself a chance to become a league player.

ledge
25-11-2013, 10:48 AM
Jason Tutt in my opinion is the receiving runner outside and the thing that has let him down is that macca has been teaching the see ball get ball Mantra but now that changed in the last half of the year with introducing a bit of outside run I think Tutt will start to shine

Twodogs
25-11-2013, 11:17 AM
Jason Tutt in my opinion is the receiving runner outside and the thing that has let him down is that macca has been teaching the see ball get ball Mantra but now that changed in the last half of the year with introducing a bit of outside run I think Tutt will start to shine

Yep. Really good assessment Ledge.

LostDoggy
25-11-2013, 01:17 PM
It's not the size of the Dog in the fight, but the fight in the Dog. On that measure, Honeychurch seems to be a winning pick.

bornadog
25-11-2013, 01:24 PM
It's not the size of the Dog in the fight, but the fight in the Dog. On that measure, Honeychurch seems to be a winning pick.

We don't know until he plays senior football.

Scorlibo
25-11-2013, 01:41 PM

Yeah I agree with that ledge.

bornadog
25-11-2013, 02:55 PM
What Macca said:

The Bulldogs main bolter in last night’s draft was the slight-framed Honeychurch but what he lacks in stature, he more than makes up for in determination and courage.

“Mitch Honeychurch had a fantastic carnival for Vic Metro and we are thrilled to bits that he got through to pick 60, we are quite surprised,” he said.

“We think we have drafted a hard working little tough nut that will go into battle every week and play for his team.”

LostDoggy
25-11-2013, 03:16 PM
We don't know until he plays senior football.

Same can be said of Tom Boyd.

Bulldog Revolution
25-11-2013, 04:04 PM
How different from Dahlhaus do people think Honeychurch is?

stefoid
25-11-2013, 04:13 PM
Dal looks to be a bit more evasive, whereas Honey looks to run more in straight lines? Thats my impression.

bornadog
25-11-2013, 04:21 PM
Same can be said of Tom Boyd.

yes all the untried players.

The Bulldogs Bite
25-11-2013, 05:02 PM
Dunno TBB. Tutt is funnily enough in his fourth year on an AFL list, while Honeychurch has probably only trained with the group a few times at most.

Whilst I think the latter looks the goods and has great pedigree as a pure footballer, he still has to face a massive test in committing to the rigors of being a league footballer which is something Tutt - deficiencies aside - has been able to do to this point.

Jason Tutt works his arse off to be the fledgling footballer he is. Hopefully Honeychurch works as hard and gives himself a chance to become a league player.

The comment was a bit tongue in cheek, and was more about how I rate Tutt than Honeychurch. :p

It sounds good in theory, but what assets does Tutt have besides pace?

He has absolutely terrible composure, he isn't clean with his hands and fumbles, his defensive game is still poor, his contested game is still poor and his supposed asset of 'good skill' is tremendously overrated. He can kick it long, but often misses the mark, coupled with average decision making/general game sense.

Sounds harsh, but I constantly see praise/optimism for Tutt and I have absolutely no idea why.

Ozza
25-11-2013, 05:48 PM
That's a very harsh assessment on Tutt. I don't think anyone is completely sold on Tutt - but I don't agree with your comments on his skills level and 'terrible' composure.

Prior to our late run of good form - we at least got some glimpses from Tutt where he ran and carried (away from defenders) and was one of the few in our side that actually kicked to the advantage of our forwards.

I don't know if he'll make it - he's probably a shade less than 50/50 - but I can see enough to justify some optimism that he does make it - as a quick, long kicking outside player - in a side that has very little of that.

Mofra
25-11-2013, 05:53 PM
He has a decent tank and pound for pound is actually one of the strongest at the club (was leading the relative strength test for the pups IIRC).

He seems to be a bit of an athlete turned footballer which makes him quite different to most of the list given B-Mac's perference for footballers first, athletes second.

I'm more confident of a footballer first with a physical shortcoming making the grade (ie Hrovat) that an athletic type, although sometimes a lack of athleticism can hold a player back (Markovic)

The Bulldogs Bite
25-11-2013, 06:24 PM
That's a very harsh assessment on Tutt. I don't think anyone is completely sold on Tutt - but I don't agree with your comments on his skills level and 'terrible' composure.

I think people get carried away with these glimpses. The glimpses are of the same nature; he picks up a ball (or generally receives it) and uses his pace to advantage. These moments are so few and far in-between in single games, let alone over the coarse of his career to date.

I am pretty surprised you don't agree with the comments re: his composure. I can hardly think of a time when he's actually shown it, but I can think of many when he hasn't that include in the field of play and during shots for goal.

When he came on as sub v Brisbane (a game many reference in praise), it was his dreadfully poor composure and lack of execution that separated him from having a real impact on the game. In fact, had he shown these two qualities, we probably would have won. He had at least 4 opportunities to impact the scoreboard directly or indirectly but butchered it each time. By no means is this an isolated incident either.

He has a decent tank and pound for pound is actually one of the strongest at the club (was leading the relative strength test for the pups IIRC).

He seems to be a bit of an athlete turned footballer which makes him quite different to most of the list given B-Mac's perference for footballers first, athletes second.

I'm more confident of a footballer first with a physical shortcoming making the grade (ie Hrovat) that an athletic type, although sometimes a lack of athleticism can hold a player back (Markovic)

This is a fair summation of him. In theory a player with great pace and endurance should be very effective, but as you said Mof, he's an athlete turned footballer. That's one of the problems. Can you teach football smarts, game sense, positioning? (All of which are crucially important for outside players.) To a degree, but he's such a long way back in the order, and the fact that we've been recruiting these types (Hrovat, Smith, Stevens, Macrae, Bontempelli, Honeychurch) will make it even more difficult for him to get games.

Bulldog4life
25-11-2013, 07:44 PM
The comment was a bit tongue in cheek, and was more about how I rate Tutt than Honeychurch. :p

He has absolutely terrible composure, he isn't clean with his hands and fumbles, his defensive game is still poor, his contested game is still poor and his supposed asset of 'good skill' is tremendously overrated. He can kick it long, but often misses the mark, coupled with average decision making/general game sense.

Sounds harsh, but I constantly see praise/optimism for Tutt and I have absolutely no idea why.

Don't want to turn this into a Tutt thread but the following is what Macca sees in Tutt TBB. It is always interesting to know what the Coach thinks.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2013-11-14/tutt-in-mccartneys-plans

When Jason Tutt bursts down the wing, Western Bulldogs Senior Coach Brendan McCartney sees all the attributes of a long term AFL player - but he is urging the 22-year-old to add a more tenacious edge.

Coach McCartney said the key to the pacey midfielder’s growth over the next twelve months will be finding an inner belief to finish off his hard work.

"He had a nice, progressive season this year. He's a young man who's so close to being a good AFL player that he doesn't even realise it,'' McCartney told The Canberra Times.

"He just needs that little bit of belief and tenacity to take that extra bounce, grit his teeth and take that shot at goal when he's in range. It's just believing in himself and it's all upsides. You can never be certain as a coach [if someone will make it] ... but he's got the attributes to make it.''

While Tutt has made steps towards winning his own ball and adding a more physical side to his game, McCartney is confident he can improve further.

"He needs some development in the contested side of the game and getting involved when it's his turn,'' McCartney said.

Despite just 19 games to his name so far, McCartney sees the Canberra product as part of the Bulldogs future plans and will allow him the necessary time to develop on his potential.

"You have to make list changes and there is a ruthless element, but [Tutt] is part of where we're going and we want to give him every opportunity.''

bornadog
25-11-2013, 11:42 PM
Don't want to turn this into a Tutt thread but the following is what Macca sees in Tutt TBB. It is always interesting to know what the Coach thinks.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2013-11-14/tutt-in-mccartneys-plans''

This is already in the Tutt Thread.

The Bulldogs Bite
26-11-2013, 12:30 AM

The coaching staff are always going to say positive things about their players whilst they're still on the list. They said the same for Mulligan a few years back.

The proof will be in how many games he gets and if he remains on the list post 2014.

Mofra
26-11-2013, 10:24 AM
IThis is a fair summation of him. In theory a player with great pace and endurance should be very effective, but as you said Mof, he's an athlete turned footballer. That's one of the problems. Can you teach football smarts, game sense, positioning? (All of which are crucially important for outside players.) To a degree, but he's such a long way back in the order, and the fact that we've been recruiting these types (Hrovat, Smith, Stevens, Macrae, Bontempelli, Honeychurch) will make it even more difficult for him to get games.
I think it can be taught to a "satisfactory" level, but then it's worth taking into account the fact that even if he gets to 'average' in that regard - competition for spots is with guys like Macrae, Stringer, Hrovat and yes Honeychurch gets included in here - guys who are natural footballers and have an inate sense of what to do.

Eg. Hunter late in the season had the ball late in the game within 50m, could have had a shot or bombed into the square where Campbell was one out - he kicked a sharp low punt more than 90 degrees into (Gia?) who was alone, 35m out directly in front.The crowd reaction wasn't so much a cheer as a "whoa, did you see that?"
It showed amazing poise and vision, and no matter how much you train you simply can't teach those innate footballing decisions.

Bulldog4life
26-11-2013, 11:52 AM
The coaching staff are always going to say positive things about their players whilst they're still on the list. They said the same for Mulligan a few years back.

The proof will be in how many games he gets and if he remains on the list post 2014.

True. Make or break year for Tutty I guess considering the competition for spots.

Greystache
26-11-2013, 12:32 PM
Eg. Hunter late in the season had the ball late in the game within 50m, could have had a shot or bombed into the square where Campbell was one out - he kicked a sharp low punt more than 90 degrees into (Gia?) who was alone, 35m out directly in front.The crowd reaction wasn't so much a cheer as a "whoa, did you see that?"
It showed amazing poise and vision, and no matter how much you train you simply can't teach those innate footballing decisions.

He did something similar late in the game against Adelaide. He was under pressure on the boundary line, but instead of banging it on the boot deep into the 50m, he looped a snap on a 90 degree angle and found Wallis running into space. I was sitting elevated watching that play and even I couldn't see Wallis as an option. The crowd around me at first groaned that he'd mis-kicked it, until Wallis ran onto in space, then it was stunned silence.

It was the sort of play that you can't teach players that don't have vision or poise.

azabob
26-11-2013, 12:45 PM
The crowd reaction wasn't so much a cheer as a "whoa, did you see that?"

It was the sort of play that you can't teach players that don't have vision or poise.

As you have alluded to previously Stache and so has the coach the biggest devlopment area for Hunter is keeping his feet on the ground!

Even his one, two work with Dahlhaus and others in close to create space is so good its scary.

He seriously has some tricks and will make opposition players look silly with his knack to know where and when the right option is.

The Bulldogs Bite
26-11-2013, 01:39 PM
Agree with all those comments re: Hunter. He did some really clever things quite regularly.

If the draft was 're-done', I'd bet on Hunter going top 20.

Murphy'sLore
26-11-2013, 01:45 PM
He was a bargain, that's for sure.

azabob
22-05-2014, 04:46 PM
OK, so Mitch Honeychurch is certainly a well grounded individual.

According to the recent sponsors night (I didn't go) in his final year of school and under 18's footy, he had two part time jobs - TWO!!

Working at bunnings and delivering pizza.

ledge
22-05-2014, 06:59 PM

According to the recent sponsors night (I didn't go) in his final year of school and under 18's footy, he had two part time jobs - TWO!!

Working at bunnings and delivering pizza. did he deliver them on a push bike ?

azabob
22-05-2014, 07:00 PM
did he deliver them on a push bike ?

DOB March 2, 1995

westdog54
22-05-2014, 07:39 PM

Working at bunnings and delivering pizza.

Concerning. He was clearly not focused on his footy in his draft year. :D

Another good bloke for the books. Like it.

Twodogs
22-05-2014, 10:00 PM
Is he the kid who slotted one from the boundary with his first kick at Geelong?

jeemak
22-05-2014, 11:21 PM
DOB March 2, 1995

Indeed. Probably distributed them electronically.

bornadog
17-06-2014, 11:32 PM
Will he make his debut this week after this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqmLCYgl6LE&list=UUCYdpsLzNPQpmOdZt_a7DNA&feature=sh are&index=3

PS: Was cleared by tribunal so free to play.

anfo27
17-06-2014, 11:46 PM
Great news he was cleared. I think he will debut this week because he has been performing for a number of weeks & the MC have to reward players for that. Like to see Stringer come in as well.

Greystache
18-06-2014, 12:29 AM
Great news. He really has to get a call up this week, his game on the weekend was incredible.

Maddog37
18-06-2014, 10:37 AM
I look at that and see a small Bartel.

always right
18-06-2014, 11:01 AM
I look at that and see a small Bartel.

So far he's been compared to Dahlhaus, Ballantyne and Bartel.

I'll add another....Gia. He has a much harder edge to him than Gia and he's quicker without being quick. They're both natural, smart footballers who position their bodies well, make good decisions, are solid overhead, and know how to kick the ball to a teammate's advantage.

Maddog37
18-06-2014, 11:20 AM
I don't think he is as explosive or agile as Dal and Ballantine. Just seems to be one of those blokes that is good at footy.

azabob
18-06-2014, 12:32 PM
Just seems to be one of those blokes that is good at footy.

I like them kinda blokes....

The Bulldogs Bite
18-06-2014, 02:20 PM
Looking forward to seeing him debut soon (hopefully).

It will be interesting to see if he can manage the step up to AFL level.

I was skeptical when we drafted him because we have similar types, but it looks like being a great late pick for the sheer fact that he is a very good footballer. Seen him live a few times and he has been super impressive.

Dry Rot
19-06-2014, 12:23 AM
Some good reading

http://boundforglorynews.com/honeychurch-is-the-next-stephen-hill/

jeemak
19-06-2014, 12:54 AM
Looking forward to seeing him debut soon (hopefully).

It will be interesting to see if he can manage the step up to AFL level.

I was skeptical when we drafted him because we have similar types, but it looks like being a great late pick for the sheer fact that he is a very good footballer. Seen him live a few times and he has been super impressive.

Having similar types was a bit of a concern for me too, but I also think we need to be realistic and understand that even though we have all of Hrovat, Dahlhaus, Hunter, Honeychurch, Smith and Wallis etc. on the list there's a fair chance not all of them will make it due to maybe injury, poor output over an extended period or poaching from other clubs.

We're at a point in our list development where we are building a massive amount of midfield and small forward talent in lieu of not having had the luxury of building up a massive amount of talent in other areas such as tall forwards and backs due to our drafting position over the last two or three drafts. I really don't doubt there will come a time in the next two to three years when we'll have to start trading a few of these guys out to ensure other areas of our list are strengthened, or let them go to get opportunities elsewhere.

I also think that we're playing it smart knowing that Cooney and Boyd will need replacing by the end of 2015, and it would be my guess that one of these up and coming mids will end up being forced to forge a place in the side in light of Murphy relinquishing his spot in the backline to retirement. Who that will end up being is anyone's guess, but right now I think it might be either Hunter or Hrovat due to their excellent ball use potential.

Hot_Doggies
19-06-2014, 12:51 PM
So far he's been compared to Dahlhaus, Ballantyne and Bartel.

I'll add another....Gia. He has a much harder edge to him than Gia and he's quicker without being quick. They're both natural, smart footballers who position their bodies well, make good decisions, are solid overhead, and know how to kick the ball to a teammate's advantage.

Fair to say he is a better kick than Boyd?

always right
19-06-2014, 01:12 PM
Fair to say he is a better kick than Boyd?

Yes.....but who is comparing him to Boyd?

Hot_Doggies
19-06-2014, 01:41 PM
Yes.....but who is comparing him to Boyd?

2 weeks ago you said it's too early to compare Honeychurch's kicking to AFL players.

always right
19-06-2014, 02:45 PM
2 weeks ago you said it's too early to compare Honeychurch's kicking to AFL players.

Congratulations. Clearly I need to spend more time trawling through the history of other posters to see what I might uncover.

Nuggety Back Pocket
28-06-2014, 12:46 PM
Having similar types was a bit of a concern for me too, but I also think we need to be realistic and understand that even though we have all of Hrovat, Dahlhaus, Hunter, Honeychurch, Smith and Wallis etc. on the list there's a fair chance not all of them will make it due to maybe injury, poor output over an extended period or poaching from other clubs.

We're at a point in our list development where we are building a massive amount of midfield and small forward talent in lieu of not having had the luxury of building up a massive amount of talent in other areas such as tall forwards and backs due to our drafting position over the last two or three drafts. I really don't doubt there will come a time in the next two to three years when we'll have to start trading a few of these guys out to ensure other areas of our list are strengthened, or let them go to get opportunities elsewhere.

I also think that we're playing it smart knowing that Cooney and Boyd will need replacing by the end of 2015, and it would be my guess that one of these up and coming mids will end up being forced to forge a place in the side in light of Murphy relinquishing his spot in the backline to retirement. Who that will end up being is anyone's guess, but right now I think it might be either Hunter or Hrovat due to their excellent ball use potential.

Two things we can be sure about Honeychurch and that he is tough as nails and can kick a goal. We have been desperate for a crumbing forward for some time now. I ran into Mitch's father Ron this morning at the local coffee shop in Vermont and he is rapt to have his son playing tomorrow. Ron himself played 40 games with Traralgon in the Latrobe Valley and he and his wife will be guests tomorrow of Peter Gordon at the President's lunch.

bornadog
28-06-2014, 03:06 PM
Two things we can be sure about Honeychurch and that he is tough as nails and can kick a goal. We have been desperate for a crumbing forward for some time now. I ran into Mitch's father Ron this morning at the local coffee shop in Vermont and he is rapt to have his son playing tomorrow. Ron himself played 40 games with Traralgon in the Latrobe Valley and he and his wife will be guests tomorrow of Peter Gordon at the President's lunch.

Great Stuff. Fantastic for the parents, they must be proud. He will be a very good player for us in years to come.

Good Luck Mitch.

ledge
28-06-2014, 07:42 PM
Lets hope we give him some decent ball up forward and lower our eyes.

jeemak
28-06-2014, 08:29 PM
Lets hope we give him some decent ball up forward and lower our eyes.

Let's hope he gets the ball around half forward and wing and shows the rest of the team how to do that. Really looking forward to seeing him a little away from goal and using his obvious smarts.

We've had, in my opinion, a very good strategy with non-primary draft picks these past few years (some by luck with Hunter F/S) whereby they are actually good ball users and smart footballers. It's so much better to see than tall speculative and athletic type players chosen by previous management.

I look forward to seeing Darley, Hrovat and Honeychurch using the ball over the next few years.