PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Bontempelli to the Bulldogs with a rocket

bornadog
22-11-2013, 09:56 AM
Link (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/marcus-bontempelli-to-the-bulldogs-with-a-rocket-20131121-2xywo.html)

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/ZAH_dogs_LN-20131121223921716761-300x0_zps96250732.jpg (http://s202.photobucket.com/user/mmsalih/media/ZAH_dogs_LN-20131121223921716761-300x0_zps96250732.jpg.html)

In an earlier football era, Marcus Bontempelli would have been a ruckman. It's a measure both of human evolution, and how much football has changed, that he says he always saw himself as an inside midfielder.

Earlier in his junior career, he played in key positions, mainly as a tall defender. Then other teenagers started shooting past his 192 centimetres, and sure enough, he moved into the midfield, where his big body proved an asset for the Northern Knights.

It made the quietly spoken but composed Bontempelli the big mover of this year's draft, culminating in the Western Bulldogs drafting him at No. 4, a result he said he wasn't sure of until “15 minutes ago when it was called out”.

Not that he lacks confidence. “I definitely think my football has improved and I think that was spurred [by] a bit of confidence from [a shift in] playing position.

"I moved into the midfield, and started to play some good footy, and started to show I can play an inside-outside game.

“I always wanted to be playing inside. I think that's where I showed I could play my best footy and use my height, playing against a lot of the smaller midfielders. Being a bit taller is probably a massive strength of mine – I'm able to do a few things that other smaller midfielders can't.”

The times suit him. Carlton legend Anthony Koutoufides and, later, Matthew Pavlich, set the template for players who began and ended their players in key posts, but played their best and most destructive football as oversized ruck-rovers. More recently, it's Scott Pendlebury.
“I always saw myself playing as an inside mid, or a mid, but if that's at the next level, if it's as a mid or on the half-back flank or on the forward line, that's up to the team and the coaches to decide, and I'll play my role.”

Bontempelli barracked for Richmond growing up, but said the Western Bulldogs guernsey “feels good”, expressing relief that he was able to stay at home in Melbourne.
Unlike some players, he has already met his coach. Brendan McCartney visited him at home with his parents for an earlier interview and spoke to him again on Tuesday.

“He's a really great connector, that's something I've found in the time that I spoke with him,” Bontempelli says. “He connects with his players; even prospective players like myself.
“I hope I'm able to play consistently and have an impact as best I can. It's a bit of relief, and a bit of encouragement and excitement for what's going to happen in the future … I'm on my journey now, and hoping to become a consistent AFL player."

Bontempelli's parents, naturally, were proud. “I've been able to do something I've always wanted to do and achieved it,” he said. “It's a massive goal for my life and career, and I'm really happy I'm able to stay home and enjoy this experience with them.”

bornadog
22-11-2013, 09:58 AM
Looks like a good kid with a good attitude.

chef
22-11-2013, 09:59 AM
Sounds like a good kid.

LostDoggy
22-11-2013, 10:44 AM
Love it. Getting the usual preseason excitement a little earlier this year. Sounds like a great kid, and the fact we even drafted him tells me he has a great attitude — it's fast becoming the main non-negotiable at the WO.

I do have to say one slightly negative thing though: Am I alone in my annoyance that every single draftee who is over 190cm and can play midfield is being compared to Pendlebury? Try to find a draftee article without Pendles mentioned.

LostDoggy
22-11-2013, 10:51 AM
Sounds like a fantastic young man. His parents must be stoked he landed at our Club with Macca at the helm.

LostDoggy
22-11-2013, 12:37 PM
Really seems like the good person criteria is super important at our club now. I'm really impressed with this kid's attitude and hunger to firstly get drafted and then work hard to improve.

LostDoggy
22-11-2013, 12:42 PM
Really seems like the good person criteria is super important at our club now. I'm really impressed with this kid's attitude and hunger to firstly get drafted and then work hard to improve.

I'm with you on that one. You can really tell that all three of our draftees will give it absolutely everything they have to make it.

westdog54
22-11-2013, 12:56 PM

It is striking me more and more as a Macca non-negotiable.

Bulldog4life
22-11-2013, 12:58 PM
Very happy to have Marcus playing with us. To top it off I heard today that Collingwood were going to pick him. An added bonus.:)

Go_Dogs
22-11-2013, 01:21 PM
It is striking me more and more as a Macca non-negotiable.

I can see why too, it's a great starting point for any investment in human resources. I get the feeling we'll eventually have a team of very driven, level headed individuals who will be prepared to do anything for their team and their mates.

We're building something pretty special for mine.

The Bulldogs Bite
22-11-2013, 02:55 PM
I can see why too, it's a great starting point for any investment in human resources. I get the feeling we'll eventually have a team of very driven, level headed individuals who will be prepared to do anything for their team and their mates.

We're building something pretty special for mine.

Well said.

A few of us probably laughed at the "good bloke" mantra, especially when we were getting beaten every week, but the plan is beginning to come together very nicely. We're still drafting people with genuine talent, but they're all very switched on and self-motivated too.

It does feel like we're building something special.

Not to toot my own horn, but on Bontempelli, I am pretty sure I called this about a month ago when I asked how posters would feel if we took him at 4. Few weeks later, the media jumped on board, and now it's happened. ;)

I shall grant you all one wish... :p

Go_Dogs
22-11-2013, 03:21 PM
Not to toot my own horn, but on Bontempelli, I am pretty sure I called this about a month ago when I asked how posters would feel if we took him at 4. Few weeks later, the media jumped on board, and now it's happened. ;)

To be fair, he'd been on the radar for a while. ;)

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?p=343442&highlight=Bontempelli#post343442

Remi Moses
22-11-2013, 03:50 PM
Very happy to have Marcus playing with us. To top it off I heard today that Collingwood were going to pick him. An added bonus.:)

Got no doubt the pies were all over him.
Might have been a reason why they improved their draft position, and in the hope someone like Scharenberg would fall through. Brilliant recruiting

bornadog
22-11-2013, 03:55 PM
Got no doubt the pies were all over him.
Might have been a reason why they improved their draft position, and in the hope someone like Scharenberg would fall through. Brilliant recruiting

For a team that has played finals for years they are recruiting so well. Last year they had three picks in the first round and here they are snaring pick 6 plus others like Jess white.

westdog54
23-11-2013, 02:40 PM
For a team that has played finals for years they are recruiting so well. Last year they had three picks in the first round and here they are snaring pick 6 plus others like Jess white.

Their list management has been exceptional and is clearly one of the main reasons behind their continued high ladder finishes.

I have no doubt Bontempelli was their first preference.

LostDoggy
25-11-2013, 01:31 PM
Well said.

A few of us probably laughed at the "good bloke" mantra, especially when we were getting beaten every week, but the plan is beginning to come together very nicely. We're still drafting people with genuine talent, but they're all very switched on and self-motivated too.

It does feel like we're building something special.

Toot away, son, toot away…