PDA

View Full Version : 2014 team selection

Dry Rot
23-11-2013, 08:29 PM
Well, now we know who we have for next season, so what will our team look like?

Putting Williams to one side, down back I would have thought Roughead, Morris and Talia select themselves as the 3 talls as we don't have any else.

If JJ is a lock too, then if 2 of Goodes, Fuller and Young can be creative bringing the ball out, then Murphy can forward.

A half forward line then of Murphy, Crameri and Grant looks quite interesting. Or Murphy, Crameri and Stringer, as Stringer looked good on the HF line in the VFL kicking it to Grant.

That would leave the forward line as Grant, Campbell and Dahl/Gia/Higgins/Dickson etc.

So going on all that, you might have

JJ Roughead Morris
Fuller Talia Young

down back and say

Murphy, Crameri, Stringer
Grant Campbell Dahl

Up forward. Add Minson and that's 13, leaving 9 mids including a sub.

Libba, Griff, Cooney (if his knee is OK) would all be locks, leaving 6 mids in no particular order from 12 players by the end of the season:

the Rat, Wallis, Stevens, Picken (tagger), Macrae, Tutt, Higgins, Boyd, Smith (when he returns), and later in the season Hunter, Darley and Bontempelli. Might even if only 5 if Dickson or Gia is selected.

I cannot recall such competition for midfield places for us, and there's at least a reasonable argument to select each one.

Who would you select?

GVGjr
23-11-2013, 09:15 PM
We do appear to be getting something depth across the list. While I think we can challenge the quality we do have emerging players but then again with a few players in their twilight of their careers we need this in our list.

I think we might look something like this at the start of the season

Defenders
Morris - Roughead - Talia
Murphy - Williams - Cooney
(Goodes - Fuller - Young - Johannisen - Darley - Wood)

Mids
Minson - Griffen - Liberatore
Wallis - Boyd - Higgins
(Hrovat - Stevens - Macrae - Picken)

Forwards
Dahlhaus - Jones - Crameri
Dickson - Grant - Stringer
(Giansiracusa - Campbell - Hunter - Tutt)

Emergencies
Giansiracusa - Picken - Stevens - Campbell

Injured/ On the fringe
Smith - Prudden - Pearce - Cordy - Roberts - Howard - Bontempelli - Honeychurch

Rookies
Austin - Redpath - Greenwood - Jong

ReLoad
23-11-2013, 11:50 PM
I was just thing about this the other day and our start of the year team is going to look rather different to our end of year team, so here goes on my start of the year team:

B: Morris, Roughead, Talia
HB: Murphy, Willams, Johannisen
C: Wallis, Boyd, Griffen
HF: Stringer, Jones, Crameri
F: Dahlhaus, Campbell, Grant
Foll: Minson, Liberatore, Macrae

Int: Darley, Cooney, Hunter
Sub: Gia

There is a lot of talent that could miss out, and of course based on opponent there may be match up changes.

There are some borderline choices in there, I consider Jones very lucky to be there, but I can see our forward line becoming amazingly potent and difficult to match up on. (lets just hope they get their groove going)

A few players that i cannot see taking part unless there is injuries or major form slumps:
Goodes and Dickson.
Players that we need to get game time and legs into:
Macrae, Stringer, Bontempelli, Hrovat, Smith, Roberts

Scorlibo
25-11-2013, 02:32 AM
What I'd like to see...

B - Morris - Austin - Goodes
HB - Johannisen - Williams - Young
C - Wallis - Liberatore - Murphy
HF - Dahlhaus - Roughead - Crameri
F - Stringer - Grant - Dickson
Foll - Minson - Cooney - Griffen
I - Boyd - Macrae - Wood - Hunter

The way I usually assess the back six composition is as follows - you require:

- 2 key defenders
- 2 versatile small/tall defenders (preferably 1 offensive and 1 defensive)
- 2 small defenders (who each rebound but at least one with the ability to lock down)

The key defensive positions ought to be filled by two of Williams, Talia, Austin and Roughead.

Of the two versatile spots, Morris has played that role so well and should continue in 2014. Young and Wood I also put in this category - Young takes a spot in the back six on 2013 form but I see Easton Wood as a more viable Dale Morris replacement whereas Young should be played in more of a Hargrave role in my opinion. (ie. Wood should become the defensive versatile player whereas Young can be the offensive).

Johannisen has staked his claim to hold down one rebounding position. The other for now rests with Goodes but I'm hoping that through the year he will have some pressure placed upon him from Fuller, Darley and even Howard with their form at Footscray.

Up forward I think a lot will depend on whether Tom Williams stays injury free. If he does, that means that Roughead might be free to play as a forward/ruck (Williams could also play this role). This in turn pushes Tom Campbell out of the side. On the question of Liam Jones, I'm torn. On one hand I think he may be assisted by having three tall-medium types in the forward line. On the other, one of Grant, Stringer and Crameri is bound to suffer. On form, Jones doesn't deserve a spot.

In the midfield, I really hope we get to see Bob Murphy own a wing and bring some class to the middle. Aside from that deficiency I think we have a good mix of players and selection at this stage is fairly straightforward.

A Ford
25-11-2013, 09:17 AM
We are in trouble if we are starting Goodes,Williams and Roughead in the Jones position. If Jones doesnt deserve a place on form then why put Roughead there when has no form at all there.
Austin as well.

always right
25-11-2013, 10:14 AM
I don't see any role for Tom Williams up forward this year...and certainly not as a relief ruckman with his injury history. Playing him in this role will simply deprive Campbell of development time.

If Tom is good/fit enough to get a game surely it has to be in defence where we lack big bodied defenders to play on key forwards.

Nuggety Back Pocket
25-11-2013, 10:37 AM
I was just thing about this the other day and our start of the year team is going to look rather different to our end of year team, so here goes on my start of the year team:

B: Morris, Roughead, Talia
HB: Murphy, Willams, Johannisen
C: Wallis, Boyd, Griffen
HF: Stringer, Jones, Crameri
F: Dahlhaus, Campbell, Grant
Foll: Minson, Liberatore, Macrae

Int: Darley, Cooney, Hunter
Sub: Gia

There is a lot of talent that could miss out, and of course based on opponent there may be match up changes.

There are some borderline choices in there, I consider Jones very lucky to be there, but I can see our forward line becoming amazingly potent and difficult to match up on. (lets just hope they get their groove going)

A few players that i cannot see taking part unless there is injuries or major form slumps:
Goodes and Dickson.
Players that we need to get game time and legs into:
Macrae, Stringer, Bontempelli, Hrovat, Smith, Roberts
This looks good. I would start Griffen on the ball with Macrae to occupy a wing position.
Assuming JJ isn't right to start the year then it could be an opportunity to start Fuller as a rebounding half back. I would also play Hrovat who oozes class instead of Darley. I hope that Roberts has a solid pre-season as I would like to think that he could play at CHF or CHB.

Ozza
29-11-2013, 04:37 PM
I think Dickson and Young get under the radar a bit in the best 22 considerations.

I would have thought, at this point in time, both are walk up starts until someone takes their spots. Particularly Young, who has slotted very comfortably into the backline, and gives us flexibility and some poise back there.

Go_Dogs
01-12-2013, 11:17 AM
Really hard to know how things will end up, but at this stage my crack would be something like this:

B: Morris, Roughead, Goodes
HB: Johannisen, Talia, Murphy
C: Wallis, Boyd, Cooney
HF: Stringer, Jones, Dahlhaus
F: Crameri, Grant, Hunter
R: Minson, Griffen, Liberatore
I/C: Campbell, Young, Macrae, Stevens

Couldn't fit in Picken or Gia but I'm sure both will play a lot of footy throughout the year. Same goes for Wood and Dickson.

It's a really difficult exercise as there are a lot of developing players I would like to add in, including Tutt and Hrovat, and some coming back from injury in Smith, Higgins and Williams who are also going to have strong cases when fit to be straight into the side.

We also have Fuller, Roberts, Pearce, Howard and Darley who will all be wanting senior opportunities this year.

Hopefully the competition for spots helps push some players to take that next step and become genuine best 22 players and it would be a great outcome if a few can have breakout seasons and really make their mark on the AFL as top line players.

Going to be a very interesting year selection wise balancing our on-going need for player development but also continuing to push up the ladder.

soupman
01-12-2013, 01:40 PM
At this point I see it as

FB: Young, Roughead, Morris
HB: Goodes, Talia, JJ
C: Murphy, Liberatore, Wallis
HF: Crameri, Jones, Dahlhaus
FF:Grant, Campbell, Stringer
R: Minson, Griffen, Cooney

I: Picken, Boyd, Smith, Macrae (sub)

Hunter next in line.

Fuller fighting with Goodes and JJ for a rebounding spot.
Williams fighting with Talia and Young for a tall defender spot.
Stevens, Hrovat and Higgins fighting it out for Smiths and Macrae's spots.

Not sure if Darley is going to be rebounding defender or a mid.

Happy Days
01-12-2013, 01:47 PM
I can't see Gia not playing round one.

ratsmac
01-12-2013, 07:50 PM
This is too hard.
I've loved reading everyone's teams. If our improvement continues on from where it left off last year, our team selectors are going to have their work cut out. This was the last thing I would have thought would be hard this time last year.

Exciting times on the horizon!

Mofra
02-12-2013, 01:41 PM
This is difficult:

FB: JJ, Roughead, Morris
HB: Goodes, Talia, Young
C: Cooney, Liberatore, Picken
R: Minson, Griffen, Wallis
I: Murphy, Boyd, Stevens, Gia (Sub)

I'm assuming Smith wont be ready, Higgins & Williams will be injured.
Em: Macrae, Fuller, Hrovat

Could change depending on how Darvey trains, I've excluded him as I don't have a handle on his game

always right
02-12-2013, 01:55 PM
This is difficult:

HB: Goodes, Talia, Young
C: Cooney, Liberatore, Picken
R: Minson, Griffen, Wallis
I: Murphy, Boyd, Stevens, Gia (Sub)

I'm assuming Smith wont be ready, Higgins & Williams will be injured.
Em: Macrae, Fuller, Hrovat

Could change depending on how Darvey trains, I've excluded him as I don't have a handle on his game

I know rotations probably render this meaningless but Murphy couldn't make your best 18?

Mofra
02-12-2013, 02:24 PM
I know rotations probably render this meaningless but Murphy couldn't make your best 18?
It was a hard call and it's like shooting Bambi but having three senior guys on the bench instead of on the field was deliberate (Boyd, Murph & Gia). They'll provide the settling influence in games at first rotation.

One other player: I really wanted Dickson in there and think he's a better than even money chance to play round 1; Stringer will be managed through the year I suspect so Tory will get plenty of gametime.

Greystache
02-12-2013, 02:32 PM
Pretty difficult at this stage, but as a first draft

HB: Murphy, Talia, Young
C: Wallis, Liberatore, Picken
HF: Dickson, Crameri, Dahlhaus
R: Minson, Griffen, Cooney
I: Goodes, Boyd, McCrae, Gia (Sub)

Em: Stevens, Hunter, Hrovat

Smith and Higgins not available

LostDoggy
02-12-2013, 06:43 PM
So hard to pick at this stage especially given our need to balance results with development. My best 22, assuming form and fitness are not issues, is as follows:

B: Morris Roughead Johannisen
HB: Murphy Williams Young
C: Cooney Griffen Stevens
HF: Dahlhaus Jones Crameri
F: Grant Campbell Dickson
Foll: Minson Wallis Liberatore

Int: Boyd Higgins Wood
Sub: Giansiracusa

robb
02-12-2013, 09:05 PM
Yep hard. Could nominate up to 8 players as emergencies. I like Campbell but i fear the side would be to top heavy. Williams can give minno a rest.

HB: Murphy Talia Wood
HF: Dahlhaus Williams Crameri
F: Grant Jones Dickson

Int: Boyd Higgins Stringer
Sub: Hunter

kruder
03-12-2013, 12:05 AM
Its going to be very interesting to see once available, where Higgins fits into the structure. The beauty of depth though, he will most likely have to return through the 2nds and earn his spot which all healthy for all.

BornInDroopSt'54
03-12-2013, 12:30 AM
So hard to pick at this stage especially given our need to balance results with development. My best 22, assuming form and fitness are not issues, is as follows:

I liked the look of your team until I realised there's no recruits from 2012. Macrae, Stringer and Hrovat need to replace umm,,...??? Wood!!! and Ummm...

Remi Moses
03-12-2013, 12:51 AM

This is bloody hard .
The first thing that strikes me is our increased depth.
I'd have Macrae in for Wood
Probably Stringer for Higgins ( starting pre- season late)
Talia for Tom W( tough call)

Bulldog Joe
03-12-2013, 10:42 AM
Really hard to know how things will end up, but at this stage my crack would be something like this:

B: Morris, Roughead, Goodes
HB: Johannisen, Talia, Murphy
C: Wallis, Boyd, Cooney
HF: Stringer, Jones, Dahlhaus
F: Crameri, Grant, Hunter
R: Minson, Griffen, Liberatore
I/C: Campbell, Young, Macrae, Stevens

Couldn't fit in Picken or Gia but I'm sure both will play a lot of footy throughout the year. Same goes for Wood and Dickson.

This is bloody hard .
The first thing that strikes me is our increased depth.

It is looking extremely difficult and there are certainly a few that will be under pressure for spots.

Not sure that many can be considered locks and the pre-season is going to be huge with the competition.
JJ and Goodes have pressure from Darley and Fuller.

Will Jones be competing with Campbell if we are to fit in Stringer and Grant along with Crameri being added.
Dickson was very good late in the year but Hunter had the look of someone very special. Can they fit with Dahlhaus and Gia. Will Higgins get right and be adding to the pressure.

Where do Macrae and Hrovat fit in the structure, without considering the new draftees.

The area I see as being weakest is tall defenders as we have Talia, Young and Wood to fill spots but will be conceding height. Williams being fit would be 1st choice CHB for mine.

What we need however, is a few progressing from worth a game to A grade and perhaps elite. If that happens we are going to be scary good in the next 2 to 3 years.

Mofra
03-12-2013, 11:14 AM
The area I see as being weakest is tall defenders as we have Talia, Young and Wood to fill spots but will be conceding height. Williams being fit would be 1st choice CHB for mine.
Wood is 185cm so if we are relying on him to play a tall defender role we are in serious trouble.

There is Austin who is ok and Fletcher Roberts as depth as well.
Redpath on the rookie list perhaps at a pinch - I know some rate him, he can't be as bad as Mulligan (personally I don;t see it, hope he proves me wrong).

LostDoggy
03-12-2013, 11:41 AM
I liked the look of your team until I realised there's no recruits from 2012. Macrae, Stringer and Hrovat need to replace umm,,...??? Wood!!! and Ummm...

This is just what I think our best side is if everyone is fit and firing; not what I think the side will or should be in Round 1. Of course there'll be injuries, players not performing, and a need to rotate the kids through the side. Given those three variables I just couldn't settle on a final team so I chose the best available if the sole objective was to win games of footy, in my opinion anyway... :)

LostDoggy
03-12-2013, 12:09 PM

The only guys I really see as locks for best 22 are Morris, Roughead, Murphy, Cooney, Griffen, Dahlhaus, Crameri, Minson, Wallis and Liberatore. You'd imagine Gia would be starting sub most weeks, as there would be no point in his extra year if he's not selected.

Williams, Higgins and Wood are all very injury prone and I would be amazed if all 3 spent all season on the park. Sadly I have a feeling this could be Boyd's last year with us, with the emergence of the young midfielders we've drafted in the last couple of years led by Smith. I'd expect Boyd to unfortunately have a similar year to Cross last season.

There's great pressure for spots all over the ground with guys like Picken, Goodes, Smith, Talia, Macrae, Stringer, Hrovat, Hunter and Tutt all with genuine claims for best 22 status already. Whatever happens I think we're gonna be in for a bloody exciting year.

Bulldog Joe
03-12-2013, 12:42 PM
Wood is 185cm so if we are relying on him to play a tall defender role we are in serious trouble.
There is Austin who is ok and Fletcher Roberts as depth as well.
Redpath on the rookie list perhaps at a pinch - I know some rate him, he can't be as bad as Mulligan (personally I don;t see it, hope he proves me wrong).

I know Wood gives away height but he has shown a capacity to play tall.

Remember Steve Kretiuk was only about 183 but played mostly as a key defender.

Scorlibo
03-12-2013, 12:54 PM

Yes Easton has a tremendous jump and coupled with genuine strength I think he can match it with most tall opponents. I think he's one of those guys who will always be more highly rated internally compared to the supporters' view. He still has a lot more to give.

Mofra
03-12-2013, 01:27 PM

Kretiuk played at a time where 189-190cm was regarded as KPP height and defenders could be a lot tougher on the body.

190cm these days makes you a Freo midfielder - the only "tall" I've seen him legitimately beat is Stevie J at 191cm and even then Steve doesn't play much of a marking game.

Cyberdoggie
03-12-2013, 02:08 PM
Yes Easton has a tremendous jump and coupled with genuine strength I think he can match it with most tall opponents. I think he's one of those guys who will always be more highly rated internally compared to the supporters' view. He still has a lot more to give.

I think if we've had to resort to playing Wood as a tall defender like we did a couple of seasons back then we are struggling for depth.

Wood's biggest asset is his run and carry, and playing him as a tall lockdown defender really robs us of that, or least it effects the way he plays and his confidence in running.

Third man in loose defender with rebound is his style and he needs to rediscover this to get a spot back.

Greystache
03-12-2013, 03:48 PM
I think if we've had to resort to playing Wood as a tall defender like we did a couple of seasons back then we are struggling for depth.

Wood's biggest asset is his run and carry, and playing him as a tall lockdown defender really robs us of that, or least it effects the way he plays and his confidence in running.

Third man in loose defender with rebound is his style and he needs to rediscover this to get a spot back.

Agree. Tom Young is a far better option as a third tall defender who can also provide rebound. Wood needs to focus on either winning more ball as a rebounding running defender, or look to become a genuine midfield option, otherwise his career could be jeopardy.

Bulldog Joe
03-12-2013, 04:51 PM

If you look at my original post, I suggest we are struggling for talls in defence and Wood is one of only 3 on the primary list (behind Roughead and Morris) that provide any cover.

While Wood missed the majority of 2013 he was used extensively, in previous seasons, to cover taller opponents and did well on some of the less mobile. He can handle some of the resting rucks etc, because he has the leap and mobility.

I don't suggest at all that he should be a 1st choice, but it does highlight the importance of Williams to the overall structure.

A lot will be expected of Talia, who is at best a medium tall, if Williams can't get on the park.

Nuggety Back Pocket
03-12-2013, 07:52 PM
Agree. Tom Young is a far better option as a third tall defender who can also provide rebound. Wood needs to focus on either winning more ball as a rebounding running defender, or look to become a genuine midfield option, otherwise his career could be jeopardy.

Easton Wood for the most part has been a big disappointment . I would think this year is a make or break year. Wood's disposal and skill level has been found wanting on too many occasions. His pace might be better suited to a wing rather than defence, where he makes too many errors.

Greystache
03-12-2013, 08:24 PM
Easton Wood for the most part has been a big disappointment . I would think this year is a make or break year. Wood's disposal and skill level has been found wanting on too many occasions. His pace might be better suited to a wing rather than defence, where he makes too many errors.

Agree with all of that NBP. I would have him firmly in the camp of players that this year is make or break for.

Ghost Dog
03-12-2013, 09:21 PM

I think some of those observations are fine for the previous year but before he did his hamstring he had some stand out games. Will come back a much better player, and predict he would have been working hard on his skills during the break.

stefoid
05-12-2013, 03:03 PM
Young is young and is still (apparently) building an AFL-capable body. Wood is an absolute machine, but doesn't have Young's composure.

Will be interesting.

BornInDroopSt'54
06-12-2013, 11:30 AM
C: Cooney Griffen Boyd

Int: Higgins Stringer Macrae

Using Cricho's team, variations being Wood and Stevens out, Stringer and Macrae in basically because they are better footballers who offer more to the team even in this early stage of their careers. I'm presuming Stringer is fit enough.

Mofra
06-12-2013, 12:24 PM
TBH I'm not as worried about his skill level as his football smarts.
Apart from a game against Collingwood where he was injured at 3/4 time, his best game was as a lockdown defender on Stevie J. He just doesn't seem to find the ball enough to be classed as a legitimate lockdown type, and I'm not yet convinced his positioning is good enough for him to transition into the middle (wing) and find enough of the ball.

He has the tools, but I haven't seen him put it all together constantly.