PDA

View Full Version : Western Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney tied away until end of 2016

GVGjr
26-11-2013, 09:32 PM
Western Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney tied away until end of 2016 (http://news.com.au/sport/afl/western-bulldogs-coach-brendan-mccartney-tied-away-until-end-of-2016-under-new-deal/story-fndv8weh-1226769008864)

http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2013/11/26/1226769/008837-745aa380-5654-11e3-b83d-7ccb23858a6f.jpg

THE momentum gained from an impressive end of the season has continued at the Whitten Oval with Western Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney rewarded with a two-year contract extension.

While McCartney, 53, still has a year to run on his current contract, the club's board agreed on Monday to sign him up until the end of 2016.

After a tough first season in the job where the Dogs won just five games, McCartney's faith in his development program started to shine through this year with the team winning four of its last six games.

Chief executive Simon Garlick said the contract extension was a "logical decision" for the club's hierarchy.

``We identified Mack as a person for us to build a sustainable professional club when we appointed him and on everything that we see and the improvement we have seen, it's logical for us to extend his contract," Garlick said.

``We had a clear vision when we appointed him about where we wanted to go and we knew we were going to face some challenges in the initial part of that.

``While there was clear improvement in some of the on-field measures in the later part of the year, we are under no illusion and don't underestimate that we've got a long way to go.

``But this is another step in the journey to becoming a sustainable and successful club."

Garlick praised the club's stakeholders for buying into McCartney's vision and warnings that patience would be required.

Read More (www.news.com.au/sport/afl/western-bulldogs-coach-brendan-mccartney-tied-away-until-end-of-2016-under-new-deal/story-fndv8weh-1226769008864)

GVGjr
26-11-2013, 09:33 PM
We are really starting to get our act together with our coaching and development team.

Great to have B-Mac signed up until the end of 2016

Greystache
26-11-2013, 09:47 PM
Good move. We're really setting ourselves to make a strong collective push in the next 3 years. Everyone seems to be all moving in the same direction together.

azabob
26-11-2013, 10:14 PM
Fantastic decision by the board and footy department. All the pieces are coming together nicely.

LostDoggy
26-11-2013, 10:23 PM
He's got such great character in his face, when there are murals painted all over Footscray in a few years’ time of this bloke they're going to look fantastic.

The Bulldogs Bite
26-11-2013, 10:38 PM
Good move. We're really setting ourselves to make a strong collective push in the next 3 years. Everyone seems to be all moving in the same direction together.

Agreed.

Has the club ever been in such a promising position?

We've had periods of relative success (late 90's-00, 06-'10) but we're taking it to another level IMO. Some fantastic appointments have been made in the last 12 months, especially, whilst funding our own VFL side is seriously significant. Many of us said it was a pipe dream a few years ago.

Here's hoping we really can deliver the ultimate this time.

The bulldog tragician
26-11-2013, 10:53 PM
He's got such great character in his face, when there are murals painted all over Footscray in a few years’ time of this bloke they're going to look fantastic.

That's a great quote, I always think there is something quintessentially western suburbs about Macca, even though it isn't actually the case.

Terrific move by the club, he has a genuine vision, I have faith that he has set a course which can build real lasting success.

Remi Moses
27-11-2013, 05:00 AM
Pleased with the decision. Basically if you 're on a course you stick to it.

chef
27-11-2013, 07:10 AM
Great news.

GVGjr
27-11-2013, 07:42 AM
With the signing of B-Mac and the increased investment in the football department plus our own VFL side you would have to think the players now have to take a huge step forward.
We are running out of excuses for players who don't perform to the required level.

LostDoggy
27-11-2013, 08:54 AM
With the signing of B-Mac and the increased investment in the football department plus our own VFL side you would have to think the players now have to take a huge step forward.
We are running out of excuses for players who don't perform to the required level.

Ain't it beautiful? That's the elusive “winning culture” we've hunted for so long.

bornadog
27-11-2013, 09:10 AM
60 years no premiership. 55 no grand final surely it's our turn. The question remains can Macca get us there.

LostDoggy
27-11-2013, 09:45 AM
Fantastic news.

Sedat
27-11-2013, 10:28 AM
Good decision, shows a sign of unity and solidarity at the entire club from the president down, and that we are all pulling together in the same direction. It remains to be seen if we can achieve sustained success but having a strong and settled environment will give us the best opportunity to achieve what we want to.

The beefed up footy dept spend really does place the players under the spotlight to perform, and perform consistently.

Murphy'sLore
27-11-2013, 10:34 AM
Very, very happy about this. I trust Brendan and his calm, clear vision. Western Bulldogs would be a great place to be right now.

Mantis
27-11-2013, 10:38 AM
Good decision, shows a sign of unity and solidarity at the entire club from the president down, and that we are all pulling together in the same direction. It remains to be seen if we can achieve sustained success but having a strong and settled environment will give us the best opportunity to achieve what we want to.

The beefed up footy dept spend really does place the players under the spotlight to perform, and perform consistently.

Agree on that... Gordon seems to have everyone on board.

On the 2nd point it also places pressure on the club to grow it's membership & profit drivers.. Whilst there have been some good off season signings with regard to commmercial deals (VU, White King) the challenge now is to grow our membership and increase our attendances.. I guess that will only happen if the club delivers out on the ground.

We really have to hit the ground running in 2014... a favourable draw should help.

KT31
27-11-2013, 12:07 PM
Well done to BMac, club is in a great position at the moment and hopefully with BMac at the helm we will gain the ultimate success.
In hindsight when you look at the other Coaches appointed at the time and it was an excellent decision by the club to appoint him.(Cameron may be the exception to this.)
Extending his contract will keep the wolves from our door and set a great foundation.
This drafting period with his lure of Crameri and the praise from the new recruits are evidence enough to suggest even if we did not have him as Senior Coach he would be an asset at the club.

Bulldog4life
27-11-2013, 12:14 PM
Very happy about this decision. Macca is the key component for our future success.

Happy Days
27-11-2013, 12:40 PM
Great news; now that I'm not blinded by the suck of much of his tenure, it is plainly obvious that everything that McCartney has done up until this point has been for a reason. We deserve to see where it's all going.

Scraggers
27-11-2013, 02:34 PM
Let me start this by saying this is not a negative post against our coach. BMac is good ... he is good for our club.

But, I am going to disagree with a few on here and say that I think this is too early. We finished the season strong winning 4 of our last 6 games. Our brand of football was exciting, but I would have waited until mid way through next year to make this final decision. There would be no problem or concern if we waited until round 10 before offering another contract or contract extension. This would give us more information about his ability as a teacher and coach. I would think he would still be the best candidate, but I think we have painted ourselves into a corner if things don't work out.

bulldogtragic
27-11-2013, 02:47 PM
Let me start this by saying this is not a negative post against our coach. BMac is good ... he is good for our club.

But, I am going to disagree with a few on here and say that I think this is too early. We finished the season strong winning 4 of our last 6 games. Our brand of football was exciting, but I would have waited until mid way through next year to make this final decision. There would be no problem or concern if we waited until round 10 before offering another contract or contract extension. This would give us more information about his ability as a teacher and coach. I would think he would still be the best candidate, but I think we have painted ourselves into a corner if things don't work out.
Same here, I've drunk the BMac coolade too, so don't call me a hater! :) . But look at North's resigning as one of many coach re signings which go too soon. My personal standard would be higher than finishing two horrible seasons very well. A decent start to next year and he gets resigned immediately, no questions and a pay rise if we can afford it. But The emotions of excitement and hope need to be counter balanced against the opposite. A good start to next year would more than counter balance the argument.

Happy Days
27-11-2013, 03:46 PM
Same here, I've drunk the BMac coolade too, so don't call me a hater! :) . But look at North's resigning as one of many coach re signings which go too soon. My personal standard would be higher than finishing two horrible seasons very well.

You could make the argument that we've gone early, but you can't use North's resigning as evidence; Scott showed absolutely nothing except the ability to ski downwards and they signed him for twice as long. At least under McCartney there is a clear direction and an upward trend, North are, and always have been treading water.

LostDoggy
28-11-2013, 01:32 AM

I see your reasoning and don't disagree with its logic, but it's very conservative and if I might say, typical of what the Dogs have always done — focus on current issues without a long term plan. I really don't think the 2012-13 win-loss ratio bears as much importance on this decision.