PDA

View Full Version : Western Bulldogs president Peter Gordon puts $1m into club coffers

Axe Man
29-11-2013, 10:47 AM
http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2013/11/28/1226770/748278-4dad050a-57fa-11e3-8974-69a7d7a3124c.jpg

Link (http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/western-bulldogs-president-peter-gordon-puts-1m-into-club-coffers/story-fndv8weh-1226770749486)

WESTERN Bulldogs president Peter Gordon kicked in $1 million of his own money to the club this year, it has been revealed.

Gordon indicated when taking over from David Smorgon in December last year that he would make a financial contribution to the club, but did not say how large it would be.

Details of Gordon's generosity are in the club's financial report, which was released on Wednesday and shows the Dogs again made a small loss for the year to October 31.

The report refers to the Gordon contribution as a loan "from a director or related entity".

It reveals Gordon has forgiven repayment of $200,000, while the remainder of the money is available to the club interest free and "will not be called on from a period of 19 months from the end of the financial year".

It is not known if Gordon intends to also forgive the remaining $800,000 of the loan. He could not be reached for comment.

The Dogs made an operating loss of $143,090 - following a loss of $136,679 in 2012 - in what chief executive Simon Garlick said were challenging conditions.

The report notes the club has been guaranteed $2.81 million in assistance for next season from the AFL's Club Future Fund "subject to certain criteria being met".

Under a new AFL policy of total transparency revealed this month, the Dogs' rivals will now know what that money is for and the report acknowledges it has been "predominantly tagged for specific initiatives".

Garlick said the club had invested an extra $1.18 million in the football department this year, and expected to increase that spend by a further $1.5 million next year.

But he said that would still leave the club in the bottom quartile of football department spending among AFL clubs.

Garlick said the Bulldogs would continue to work with the AFL and rival clubs on better revenue sharing and equalisation strategies, but "no one should doubt our resolve to build our support base and all aspects of our business".

That declaration followed comments regarding the AFL's equalisation strategies this week from Collingwood president Eddie McGuire, who said he supported the concept of equalisation but had "a real worry that clubs are just going to sit there and become dependent on the AFL".

The Dogs increased revenue by $1.3 million this year to $34 million - a figure dwarfed by the results of competition powerhouses Collingwood ($75 million) and Hawthorn ($64 million).

bulldogtragic
29-11-2013, 10:53 AM
Geez, thanks Peter. Not sure what words say thank you enough. That's serious skin in the game.

Greystache
29-11-2013, 10:58 AM
That's an incredible contribution. Hopefully some of our supporters keep that in mind when criticizing the club and president over trivial issues.

comrade
29-11-2013, 11:06 AM
Thanks PG. You are a Bulldog legend.

bornadog
29-11-2013, 11:09 AM
Fantastic Peter, thank you, your passion for the club is unrivalled.

Daughter of the West
29-11-2013, 11:24 AM
I just swore when I saw the headline! I can't offer much more than a heartfelt thank you Peter, but thank you.

Murphy'sLore
29-11-2013, 11:39 AM
Wow, thank you, Peter. That's really putting your money where your mouth is!

bulldogtragic
29-11-2013, 12:07 PM
Upon more thinking, it's pretty unfair that this needs to occur. I hope that after any bad games the players have to look Peter in the eye. This motivates me to give some more, I hope non-members who identify with the club to do likewise.

Maybe that's our membership slogan "skin in the game"

Scraggers
29-11-2013, 12:22 PM
I wish we did not have to accept this. PG's generosity is absolutely magnificent ... a true Bulldog.

We need members!! We need to get back those that we have lost!! We need to attract new members!!

Thank you Peter !!!!!!!

Bulldog4life
29-11-2013, 12:22 PM
What more can I say that others haven't. Another thank you from me too Peter. Talk about putting your money where your mouth is.

LostDoggy
29-11-2013, 12:25 PM
What a legend, will really help the club. Thanks Peter

Ghost Dog
29-11-2013, 12:26 PM
Well said Greystache. Unbelievable! Thanks so much David. We are very lucky to have you Peter.

LostDoggy
29-11-2013, 12:26 PM
Bloody unreal. From the bottom of my Bulldog heart, thank you PG.

bulldogtragic
29-11-2013, 12:49 PM
Spent 10 minutes on hold with the club to buy some extras. Good signs some are reacting positively.

Happy Days
29-11-2013, 01:03 PM
Well damn.

Thanks Peter, this is insane. Hopefully you never have to do this again.

Eastdog
29-11-2013, 01:07 PM
Thank you very much Peter. A true Bulldog through and through.

Prince Imperial
29-11-2013, 02:37 PM
Very much appreciated Peter. You are an inspiration to all of us to do what we can to help our club. I hope we can repay that 800k loan soon!

ratsmac
29-11-2013, 03:21 PM
Wow. I was gob smacked when I read that headline. Just shows how much he loves and believes in the Bulldogs.
Thanks Peter.

Great man.

LostDoggy
29-11-2013, 03:53 PM
Not much I can say that hasn't been said already but massive thank you to Peter for his generosity.

Remi Moses
29-11-2013, 04:30 PM
Great gesture.

Remi Moses
29-11-2013, 04:32 PM
75 million 64 million! The AfL have to get some equilibrium on this.

Twodogs
29-11-2013, 04:49 PM
Upon more thinking, it's pretty unfair that this needs to occur.

I wish we did not have to accept this.!

Every club has benefactors who contribute significant amounts behind the scenes. Thankfully we have PG.

LostDoggy
29-11-2013, 09:55 PM
Best president in the league. Sooo lucky this bloke is a bulldog.

Thanks Peter.

Legen- wait for it -DARY!

Suit up you good thing!

LostDoggy
29-11-2013, 10:33 PM
It's a measure of the man and his legacy at the Dogs that he can chip in a cool million and NOT be remembered for that alone. I'll always love Gordon for saving our club in '89, this is just the latest act in a long long passionate love affair with the Scray.

We should name an award for the man: the Peter Gordon Medal. Awarded to the player who has gone above the call for the year.

BornInDroopSt'54
29-11-2013, 11:16 PM
Barrel chest, big heart.

bulldogtragic
30-11-2013, 12:32 PM
I hope this ripples through the entire club. When it gets hard (long hours, extra sessions etc) they should ask themselves, what would Peter do?

Follow the Leader

LostDoggy
30-11-2013, 05:22 PM
Must admit I just bought an extra membership I don't need on the back of it. I'm donating it to one of my nephews - Geelong supporter but I'm constantly working on swinging him around. This and the story behind it might help you never know :)

Twodogs
30-11-2013, 06:06 PM
Must admit I just bought an extra membership I don't need on the back of it. I'm donating it to one of my nephews - Geelong supporter but I'm constantly working on swinging him around. This and the story behind it might help you never know :)

Good work SD. Fight the good fight.

bulldogtragic
30-11-2013, 07:16 PM
Same, although I had a long conversation with the guy on the membership line about whether the club would prefer an extra membership stat or group of extras. We/I decided to go with no membership, but another VFL donation and 18 tickets for under privileged kids. Like you I'm hoping one of them one day turns loyal and joins one day. So many presidents talk the talk, but this is seriously walking the walk. Can not be more impressed by him and his generosity!

josie
01-12-2013, 10:26 PM
Peter,

Thank You !! You are an inspiration. I watched the save bulldogs campaign doco when you were President and it bought a tear to my eye. Your passion is brilliant. You Leadership is first class. Love how you represent the club in the media. We are very fortunate to have you as president.

Lapsed members should take a leaf out of your book and SIGN UP !!

GO DOGS !!

GVGjr
01-12-2013, 11:34 PM
It's hard not to be inspired by this generous act. I'll speak to the club tomorrow to see if there is something else I can do.

I'm really starting to appreciate more each year just how important it is to do that bit more for the club when you can.

azabob
02-12-2013, 12:51 PM
It's hard not to be inspired by this generous act. I'll speak to the club tomorrow to see if there is something else I can do.

I'm really starting to appreciate more each year just how important it is to do that bit more for the club when you can.

Do you speak to the memership team who answer the phones or to someone else?

Eastdog
02-12-2013, 01:02 PM

I'm guessing you probably would speak to the membership team maybe the option for other enquires might be the go.

GVGjr
02-12-2013, 11:18 PM

Somebody else. I didn't get around to it today but I'll get a call tomorrow and I'm sure there is something else I can tack onto the memberships.

The VFL membership option appeals to me but I think there might be some other options as well.

GVGjr
03-12-2013, 06:18 PM

I contacted the club today and went for the VFL option. I've never been a huge believer in the continual theme that our Williamstown alignment hurt the development of our players but now the break has been made I think it's a good idea for those who can to chip in a bit extra to help fund this team.

For example if 25% of our members contributed just $20 or $50 (the payment can be phased over the year) then we could help the club enormously.
The start up cost will now doubt be a challenge and every bit helps.

SonofScray
04-12-2013, 07:48 PM
I'm going to donate an extra $20 on top of the VFL contribution part of my membership and rally the family around the "Buy a Seat to Make a Stand." We already have one for my dear departed nan, Joyce, but I want a family plaque next to her as well.

FrediKanoute
08-12-2013, 03:08 PM
Want to echo the sentiments already expressed, thanks Peter, a true Bulldog

Greystache
08-12-2013, 04:49 PM
Perhaps those in the cheer squad, who are so keen to run the club down, could look to this as an example of what actual commitment and loyalty looks like.

Twodogs
08-12-2013, 05:04 PM
Perhaps those in the cheer squad, who are so keen to run the club down, could look to this as an example of what actual commitment and loyalty looks like.

And singe the smell of burning martyr? Never!

GVGjr
08-12-2013, 05:07 PM
I always wonder as a forum what some of us might be able to do to help the club along? A joint effort could be substantial assistance to the club. It will never be to Peters efforts but I'm sure it all helps.

bornadog
08-12-2013, 05:20 PM
I always wonder as a forum what some of us might be able to do to help the club along? A joint effort could be substantial assistance to the club. It will never be to Peters efforts but I'm sure it all helps.

We did contribute a few years ago yo Bulldogs back yard. We could do something similar through donations.

GVGjr
08-12-2013, 05:24 PM
We did contribute a few years ago yo Bulldogs back yard. We could do so egging similar through donations.

Just having a look now and there is heaps of options.

Player Lockers, Bulldog Backyards and of course the VFL effort. I'm sure I could find more.

I quite like the VFL sponsorship because we've all used it as an excuse for some poor on field results. Now that it's here we all have a chance to make sure it's a success.

bornadog
08-12-2013, 05:27 PM
Just having a look now and there is heaps of options.

Player Lockers, Bulldog Backyards and of course the VFL effort. I'm sure I could find more.

I quite like the VFL sponsorship because we've all used it as an excuse for some poor on field results. Now that it's here we all have a chance to make sure it's a success.

Happy to pitch in if we get something going. The VFL sponsorship is a good idea.

bulldogtragic
08-12-2013, 05:37 PM
If there was enough support to justify a quasi-coterie Q&A and nibbles/drinks a few times a year (pre season, mid season break and draft time) just for woofers, is it worth a try? Nothing too fancy, but must be a club member and qualified WOOF member. Lunches go at around $150 plus from memory, if we could get tickets sub $100, ie $90-95. That's a fair chunk of cash I know, but the aim is raising money for the club. It's saving about a take away coffee a week.

A coach and a player or two for a couple of hours giving insights into the preseason, mid season review and preview and into draft time). If we could muster 30 woofers, that's about $8,000. Not a million, but it involves members, extra cash and I'm sure some might go even further.

Minimum fuss, $8,000 direct on top of what we all give, 6 hours investment per annum by the club... Dreaming??

bulldogtragic
08-12-2013, 05:40 PM
Happy to pitch in if we get something going. The VFL sponsorship is a good idea.
Yeah, sounds good too. After Peter's effort I doubled my options. VFL success gets us closer to a premiership, so it needs cash.

Twodogs
08-12-2013, 06:23 PM
I like the idea of a VFL sponsorship too.

I like BT's thinking there. Lots of ideas like that please.

ledge
08-12-2013, 08:01 PM
I remember I put in $100 for a rookie fund once never heard a word afterwards, feed back would have been nice on what we did with it etc.
I would do it again but just a little more knowledge just something would have been nice

LostDoggy
08-12-2013, 10:26 PM
SonOfScray what was your nan Joyce's surname

comrade
09-12-2013, 10:09 AM
I'm happy to tip in for a WOOF VFL sponsorship.

Ozza
09-12-2013, 10:52 AM
If there was enough support to justify a quasi-coterie Q&A and nibbles/drinks a few times a year (pre season, mid season break and draft time) just for woofers, is it worth a try? Nothing too fancy, but must be a club member and qualified WOOF member. Lunches go at around $150 plus from memory, if we could get tickets sub $100, ie $90-95. That's a fair chunk of cash I know, but the aim is raising money for the club. It's saving about a take away coffee a week.

A coach and a player or two for a couple of hours giving insights into the preseason, mid season review and preview and into draft time). If we could muster 30 woofers, that's about $8,000. Not a million, but it involves members, extra cash and I'm sure some might go even further.

Minimum fuss, $8,000 direct on top of what we all give, 6 hours investment per annum by the club... Dreaming??

I like the idea of doing a lunch or optons of 2 or 3 lunches during the year, to raise some cash for the club, and hear from the coach/some coaches and a player or two.

bulldogtragic
09-12-2013, 11:30 AM
I like the idea of doing a lunch or optons of 2 or 3 lunches during the year, to raise some cash for the club, and hear from the coach/some coaches and a player or two.
I'm glad there is some positivity already! Im taking the word 'lunch' literally, if I'm wrong I'm genuinely sorry... I'm not having a go, just work shopping the idea. :) In a perfect world 'lunch/es' would be good, but it puts the price up. Then it becomes a thing of how many woofers might not be able to go to $140 for instance. If that's not an issue then that's good, if we found that the price point for maximum inclusiveness was around $95 then I'm happy with whatever, peanuts, sandwiches, coffee and basic drinks whatever. At the end of the day it's about 1) cash for the club and 2) being in the presence of our heros and getting the opportunity for Q&A and hopefully some inside gossip. All in the air at this point anyway, but I thought it takes about 10 hours a year for the club (assuming 3 dates), so for the potential return it's not bad. I can't think of any other ways to come up with $1,000 an hour investment for the club.

SonofScray
09-12-2013, 07:27 PM
SonOfScray what was your nan Joyce's surname

Egan. She was involved in the Taskforce for a long time and used to volunteer at the Bulldog Shop in the Mall etc. Had lots of old friends, her best mate Betty still sits with us at the footy. I think I've visited the seat we purchased more than her actual resting place, it is a more appropriate memorial.:)

LostDoggy
09-12-2013, 10:54 PM
Egan. She was involved in the Taskforce for a long time and used to volunteer at the Bulldog Shop in the Mall etc. Had lots of old friends, her best mate Betty still sits with us at the footy. I think I've visited the seat we purchased more than her actual resting place, it is a more appropriate memorial.:)
SOS I am pretty sure I knew your nan, was her daughter Maureen who married Michael ?

SonofScray
11-12-2013, 01:58 AM
SOS I am pretty sure I knew your nan, was her daughter Maureen who married Michael ?

That's correct :) I'm not surprised, it is a small world after all and we are a small Club within it. I think PG really understands the value of the organisation being a Club more than just a team vying for a flag. We are all in this and all get something from being a part of it and contributing.

Remi Moses
11-12-2013, 02:51 AM
Micky Egan was fearless and gave great service to the club

Twodogs
11-12-2013, 03:44 PM
Micky Egan was fearless and gave great service to the club

I played cricket at the same park team as Michael. He was a few tears older than me though so I didn't know him that well.

bornadog
11-12-2013, 04:16 PM
I played cricket at the same park team as Michael. He was a few tears older than me though so I didn't know him that well.
Hope there wasn't too many tears playing:D

Twodogs
11-12-2013, 05:59 PM
Hope there wasn't too many tears playing:D

The club doesn't exist anymore. I assume there were tears after the last game. :p

LostDoggy
11-12-2013, 07:01 PM
If you guys want to put a WOOF thing together, I'd gladly chip in whatever I could afford.

Gather the pack boys.

Mantis
12-12-2013, 12:14 PM
I remember I put in $100 for a rookie fund once never heard a word afterwards, feed back would have been nice on what we did with it etc.
I would do it again but just a little more knowledge just something would have been nice

I collected the funds for this.. Raised over $2k.

I handed the money over and got nothing in return except for a receipt.. Not even a thank-you letter.

bulldogtragic
12-12-2013, 12:50 PM

I handed the money over and got nothing in return except for a receipt.. Not even a thank-you letter.
That's disgusting. We don't have donors on tap, I'd hope we make them feel so special they want to keep doing it...

comrade
12-12-2013, 01:43 PM
That's disgusting. We don't have donors on tap, I'd hope we make them feel so special they want to keep doing it...

Yep.

I hope the right people at the Club have a read of this thread and see the desire here to help out financially but understand that it is a two way street. If you're going to support over and above a membership, there should be some sort of formal recognition.

Ghost Dog
15-12-2013, 10:11 PM

That's pretty ordinary Mantis. Well done on raising that kind of money.

Greystache
11-08-2014, 02:03 PM
Peter Gordon gave $1 million to his beloved Western Bulldogs saying it is better than a Ferrari

WESTERN Bulldogs president Peter Gordon says donating $1 million to his club last year was the realisation of a 25-year dream.

Gordon confirmed he had handed the money to his beloved Dogs last year, joking it was cheaper and more satisfying than a red Ferrari.

He helped rescue the club in 1989 when it was headed for a merger then was the president from 1989 to 1996.

A hugely successful lawyer who led class actions over asbestos, Dow Corning breast implants and the tobacco industry, he now has the means to help out financially.

Asked on Triple M radio about the Herald Sun’s story last November, he confirmed he has been able to gift the club the huge sum.

“In one sense it’s something I always dreamt of when I took over the club when I was 32 and didn’t have a brass razoo to my name,’’ he said.

“I dreamt of being in a position to do it and it was a thrill to do it. Some blokes when they get to middle age get red Ferraris and some have affairs and this for me was a lot more straightforward and cheaper and less complicated.

“We have done so much for multicultural communities and people with disabilities and this is a really iconic place for people in the west.”

Gordon’s wife Kerri helps run the Whitten Oval cafe Barkers with senior assistant Brett Montgomery’s wife Terri, with Kerri’s share of the proceeds directed back to the club.

He said the Dogs would never revert to the Footscray name while he was in charge despite the club’s VFL side reverting to the Footscray Bulldogs.

He said the club’s spread across the western suburbs was too important to jeopardise by a return to the traditional name for the AFL club.

Link (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/peter-gordon-gave-1-million-to-his-beloved-western-bulldogs-saying-it-is-better-than-a-ferrari/story-fni5fazt-1227019618984)

Murphy'sLore
11-08-2014, 03:39 PM
Just how much do red Ferraris cost these days anyway? :)

bulldogtragic
11-08-2014, 07:38 PM
I thanked PG a while back for this at a VFL game, and with a relaxed smile he said 'thanks' like it was not the biggest gesture the club has had given to it. I also told him I doubled my memberships when I heard about his gesture and he seemed genuinely chuffed hearing I wanted to do what I could, because he could too. I'm not sure how many AFL Presidents or our past Presidents have ever done something like this. He's Incredibly humble and VFL watchers will know how much he loves Footscray and every player on the list. I love people who do, and don't just talk about it.