PDA

View Full Version : Peter Gordon Does it Again

bornadog
02-12-2013, 04:08 PM
Thalidomide victims to share massive settlement after successful class action (http://www.theage.com.au/national/thalidomide-victims-to-share-massive-settlement-after-successful-class-action-20131202-2ykg8.html)

Ok not football related, but winning this case is bigger than Football, after all Footy is just a game compared to real life suffering and effects of a terrible drug.

Peter Gordon, of Gordon Legal, said thalidomide was the "worst pharmaceutical disaster in the history of the world".

Peter has won some big cases against corporates who are willing to use the public for their own selfish gain.

Thank you Peter and boy are we glad you are our President.

bulldogtragic
02-12-2013, 04:20 PM
Go onto his business website and read his CV.

Every bit equal to Robert Richter in their respective fields.

I think he's more than qualified to sit as a Magistrate or Judge if he ever gets sick of saving the club, or when he no longer has to!

Eastdog
02-12-2013, 04:23 PM
Peter has always been fighting the good fight. He is a very smart man and has been a very good president.

Maddog37
02-12-2013, 06:21 PM
He is a Bulldog in mores way than one. The more I hear from him and about him, the more my respect grows.

Thalidomide is a tragedy of horrid proportions and hopefully some of the victims can find some solace in this result.

Scorlibo
02-12-2013, 11:59 PM
With the Gordon-McCartney double I feel that the club has something very special on the horizon. Two extraordinary people running our footy club.

bulldogtragic
03-12-2013, 12:00 AM
With the Gordon-McCartney double I feel that the club has something very special on the horizon. Two extraordinary people running our footy club.
And people like JMac backing them up!

Throughandthrough
03-12-2013, 12:23 AM
You do realise that a sizable portion of the successful claim is retained don't you guys?

Twodogs
03-12-2013, 09:08 AM
You do realise that a sizable portion of the successful claim is retained don't you guys?

Do you mean in legal fees?

Yep. That's how Peter makes his living.

bornadog
03-12-2013, 09:32 AM
I spoke to Peter earlier in the year and he said this was his last case. Whether he ever takes on another one will remain to be seen.

bulldogtragic
03-12-2013, 12:27 PM
True, but without them they have no money. Say if the fees were $4.5m, that's more than 90 cents in e dollar received. And besides, in these cases many include some portion of the applicants legal costs to be paid on top of the agreed figure.

bornadog
03-12-2013, 01:21 PM
True, but without them they have no money. Say if the fees were $4.5m, that's more than 90 cents in e dollar received. And besides, in these cases many include some portion of the applicants legal costs to be paid on top of the agreed figure.

Costs were $6 million

bulldogtragic
03-12-2013, 01:35 PM
Costs were $6 million
So the victims got about 94 cents in the dollar after costs, plus any contribution from the defendant. That's a very, very decent return. Excellent in fact.

Throughandthrough
03-12-2013, 02:04 PM
I'm not for one second suggesting that the claimants and/or peter shouldn't have agreed to x or anything like that. My point is that some of the early posters almost make it sound like pg has donated his efforts to these poor people. He's a (well paid) professional, and obviously very good at his job.

bornadog
03-12-2013, 02:46 PM
So the victims got about 94 cents in the dollar after costs, plus any contribution from the defendant. That's a very, very decent return. Excellent in fact.

The $6 million I believe are the legal cost. What Gordon legal get as a fee, I don't know.

bornadog
03-12-2013, 02:53 PM
I'm not for one second suggesting that the claimants and/or peter shouldn't have agreed to x or anything like that. My point is that some of the early posters almost make it sound like pg has donated his efforts to these poor people. He's a (well paid) professional, and obviously very good at his job.

Not many lawyers are willing to take on the hard cases against the big corporates on matters like asbestos, effects of smoking, drug companies etc and fight for the ordinary person, with the possibility of not winning and not getting any fees.

chef
09-02-2014, 07:27 PM
Loving the BB quote from Gordon....'In 2014 the Bulldogs aren't in danger...we are the danger'.

bulldogtragic
09-02-2014, 08:05 PM
Loving the BB quote from Gordon....'In 2014 the Bulldogs aren't in danger...we are the danger'.

We've come a long way in 12 months based on this assessment. Good! :)

bornadog
10-02-2014, 12:22 AM
http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2014/02/09/1226821/930246-9cea5110-915f-11e3-9900-6ae4ae41740d.jpg
Bulldogs captain Ryan Griffin and coach Brendan McCartney at the club’s family day. Picture: Getty Images Source: Getty Images

WESTERN Bulldogs president Peter Gordon has stolen a line from cult television show Breaking Bad to warn his club will be a danger this season.
Talking up the Bulldogs’ prospects at the club’s family day at Whitten Oval yesterday, Gordon said the days of the club being endangered were over.
While coach Brendan McCartney was more tempered in his expectations for the year, citing the need for improvement across several areas, Gordon quoted Breaking Bad’s Walter White to predict a big year.
“The days of the Dogs being an endangered species in the AFL are over,’’ Gordon told supporters.
“If you are fans of the show Breaking Bad, then apologies to you for stealing this line, but in 2014 the Bulldogs are not in danger, we are the danger.
GRIFFEN’S NAB CHALLENGE DOUBT (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/western-bulldogs-monitoring-ryan-griffen-after-skipper-suffers-back-tightness/story-fni5fazt-1226821901838)
“We are very excited about this year. It’s going to be a very big year for the Western Bulldogs.
“We are really thrilled to welcome back to the Whitten Oval competitive footy in season 2014.’’
In McCartney’s second season as coach last year, the Bulldogs finished 15th with eight wins.
McCartney admitted the club had been embarrassed in some areas by the “good teams’’.
“We know we do have some areas in our game that we need to keep working at and get better,’’ he said.
“We have tried to build on things that we got better at last year.
COONEY ‘THOUGHT HE WAS DONE’ (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/western-bulldogs-star-adam-cooney-feared-a-knee-injury-would-end-his-career/story-fni5fazt-1226821308903)
“But there were a couple of things, even when we won games at the end of the year, that we weren’t really up to speed with the good teams and the good teams embarrassed us in a few areas.
“So we have just tried to put a few more building blocks in place with a primarily young group of players and are looking forward to showing some improvement in those areas.’’
http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2014/02/09/1226821/930699-65985ec8-915f-11e3-9900-6ae4ae41740d.jpg
Western Bulldogs president Peter Gordon is upbeat about his club’s future. Picture: Getty Images

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/bulldogs-president-peter-gordon-says-its-time-to-get-excited/story-fni5fazt-1226821930275

bornadog
10-02-2014, 12:24 AM
Has Peter gone too far with these words? Has he put the pressure on like Smorgo did to Rocket?

bulldogtragic
10-02-2014, 12:34 AM
Seems extremes are used in setting out the year. Anything was better than last years 'pep talk' in which players felt deflated according to Bob. I know which one I would rather.

GVGjr
10-02-2014, 01:52 AM
Has Peter gone too far with these words? Has he put the pressure on like Smorgo did to Rocket?

Great question.

I initially gave that some thought but I don't think he has. There is some big differences with the lists, the ladder positions and the spend on the football departments that all factor in.
Rocket's team had the signs of a veteran list that was in need of a change after a close but no cigar campaign over a few seasons whereas Macca's still has that youthful look about it and one that will no doubt excite but also disappoint us along the way.
One list was managing the departing veterans and the Akermanis distractions and the other is managing the expectations of and emerging list. We all deep down know that we are in for a bumpy ride in 2014.

If anything Peter has put pressure on himself to keep increasing the spend on the football department.

Smorgo did Rocket no favours but in my opinion, Gordon was just "working the room".

Ghost Dog
10-02-2014, 01:47 PM
The not being endangered bit is the most important. It's hard to run a club with the sword of damocles hanging over your head all the time. At last we have the financial backing we always dreamed of. This is a special time to be a Dogs supporter - not to be taken for granted.

1eyedog
10-02-2014, 02:01 PM
Great question.

I initially gave that some thought but I don't think he has. There is some big differences with the lists, the ladder positions and the spend on the football departments that all factor in.
Rocket's team had the signs of a veteran list that was in need of a change after a close but no cigar campaign over a few seasons whereas Macca's still has that youthful look about it and one that will no doubt excite but also disappoint us along the way.
One list was managing the departing veterans and the Akermanis distractions and the other is managing the expectations of and emerging list. We all deep down know that we are in for a bumpy ride in 2014.

If anything Peter has put pressure on himself to keep increasing the spend on the football department.

Smorgo did Rocket no favours but in my opinion, Gordon was just "working the room".

Agreed. It appears to be the Presidents role to communicate with the masses and Peter recognises a need to sell the product - which is now quite attractive to prospective Bulldogs members. Peter is a very astute man as we all know and he understands that we are improving and that there is far less risk to make those types of comments than there were a few years ago when Smorgo chimed in.

bornadog
10-02-2014, 04:08 PM
At last we have the financial backing we always dreamed of. .

Do we?

Debt still $5million

Lowest spend on Football Dept

Members struggling to get to 30,000 - rivals have 50 to 100% more than us.

Haven't won a GF in 60 years and haven't been in a GF for 53 years.

I agree we are in the best position ever in our 120 year history, BUT, I don't think we are safe until the above is rectified and money and members are pouring in.

bulldogtragic
10-02-2014, 04:24 PM
Do we?

Debt still $5million

I agree we are in the best position ever in our 120 year history, BUT, I don't think we are safe until the above is rectified and money and members are pouring in.

Does that debt include the lazy million Peter chipped in?

I completely agree with your assessment. It sometimes feels and may be perceived as negativity, but we are in a hole still, especially our membership problems. I'm excited as anyone, but when you need a million dollars off your president, it says we have a long way to go. Hopefully this group of players under BMac can get bums on seats and members wanting to join and stay. I hope we can.

Throughandthrough
10-02-2014, 04:24 PM
I think it's an attempt to build up the brand and sell more memberships. (Which is a positive, by the way)

All aboard!

Ghost Dog
10-02-2014, 04:36 PM
Not sure that's correct BAD.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-12-18/on-the-campaign-trail

ADELAIDE
SLOGAN: We're ready to fly…so get on board
2013 TALLY: 46,054
CURRENT TALLY: 40,024

BRISBANE LIONS
SLOGAN: Believe. Belong.
2013 TALLY: 24,130
CURRENT TALLY: 12,296

CARLTON
SLOGAN: We are the Navy Blues
2013 TALLY: 50,564
CURRENT TALLY: 27,397

COLLINGWOOD
SLOGAN: Side by side
2013 TALLY: 78,427
CURRENT TALLY: 60,000 plus

ESSENDON
SLOGAN: Essendon will launch a new membership slogan in the new year.
2013 TALLY: 56,173
CURRENT TALLY: 35,309

FREMANTLE
SLOGAN: Own the moment
2013 TALLY: 44,035
CURRENT TALLY: 41,840

GEELONG
SLOGAN: #belonggeelong. Be part of the greatest team of all
2013 TALLY: 40,205
CURRENT TALLY: 16,950

GOLD COAST
SLOGAN: Fire Up
2013 TALLY: 12,502
CURRENT TALLY: 7,762

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY
SLOGAN: Stand Tall
2013 TALLY: 12,681
CURRENT TALLY: 5,005

HAWTHORN
SLOGAN: Always Hawthorn
2013 TALLY: 63,353
CURRENT TALLY: 48,135

MELBOURNE
SLOGAN: My heart beats true
2013 TALLY: 33,177
CURRENT TALLY: 22,105

NORTH MELBOURNE
SLOGAN: We will rise together
2013 TALLY: 34,607
CURRENT TALLY: 22,254

PORT ADELAIDE
SLOGAN: We are Port Adelaide
2013 TALLY: 40,162
CURRENT TALLY: 33,252

RICHMOND
SLOGAN: Strong & bold - bring the roar home
2013 TALLY: 60,321
CURRENT TALLY: 41,384

ST KILDA
SLOGAN: More than a football club
2013 TALLY: 32,707
CURRENT TALLY: 17,452 (at 12/12/13)

SYDNEY SWANS
SLOGAN: Proudly Sydney
2013 TALLY: 36,358
CURRENT TALLY: 18,750

WEST COAST
SLOGAN: Our strength is YOU
2013 TALLY: 58,501
CURRENT TALLY: 40,000

WESTERN BULLDOGS
SLOGAN: Gather the pack
2013 TALLY: 30,209
CURRENT TALLY: 17,661

Considering the facts you mentioned makes it all the more surprising we were able to get over 30,000 members in 2013. We are lowest ( GWS and GC don't really count ) but not by that much ( North, St Kilda, Melbourne, Brisbane )
We have a president, who apart from being a fantastic bloke, has handed us a cool million dollars, and is bringing in excellent people into the club. While I agree we are coming from a long way back, at least things seem relatively stable, enabling us to build on it. Equalisation is just a matter of time. Things are looking up. Just have faith in the good people we have. What I mean is, 5 of those clubs are very catch-able in terms of memberships. Two years of exciting TV worthy footy and would we be that far behind?

Critical point is can we play the type of footy people want to watch? It's entertainment.

bornadog
10-02-2014, 04:56 PM
Not sure that's correct BAD. .

I did say 50 to 100%, so 45,000 plus. Many clubs in Melbourne over this amount. We have to be over 40,000 regularly. Even crappy old North Melbourne have more than us.

We have been stuck around the 30k for a long time, yet Melbourne's population has grown by 27% in the 2000, with many more than that in the West.

We have to get into a GF, and then win one, its the only way.

Nuggety Back Pocket
10-02-2014, 05:03 PM
Do we?

Debt still $5million

According to Peter Gordon the debt is more like $10 mill. which is a huge hurdle to overcome. This leaves us effectively 3-4 million behind the richer clubs in the football department spend.Our strong finish in 2013 and better recruiting in the past years should make us a more competitive unit in 2014.

Ghost Dog
10-02-2014, 05:20 PM
At least 4 of the established clubs are within 3000 members. Then, when you factor in how little success we have had, the thrashings and our demographic, it's not too bad, where we are at.

Throughandthrough
10-02-2014, 05:39 PM
ESSENDON
SLOGAN: Essendon will launch a new membership slogan in the new year.

That will never catch on.

BulldogBelle
10-02-2014, 05:46 PM
Having just watched Breaking Bad, I fully endorse changing our slogan from Gather the pack to We are the danger. By far the greatest football club slogan ever

bulldogtragic
10-02-2014, 05:47 PM
True, but when you factor in how little success we have had, the thrashings and our demographic, it's still amazing we are only a few thousand behind North, Dees and St Kilda.

North are a joke. Not much a silver lining.
Dees should've been deregistered and with their last decade, that they have more members, ain't a silver lining.
Saints are a rabble. The constant off field of their club is an embarrassment for the league. Again, not a silver lining.

We are a proud, ethical and responsible citizen in the football world. We leak members higher than any other club. We have horrible issues in membership that do not seem to be able to be rectified. I remember a decade ago we were said to be losing 6,000 members each year. Peter Gordon recently said that over the past 6 years, we've lost more members than our tally. If we could but that loss by 50% over that period we would have around 45,000 members.

There is so much to be excited about this season, but we are in deep debt, have less footy dept spending than the big clubs, relied on our president giving a million dollars and a membership problem that won't fix. It's not about half full, OR half empty. I'm half full about the season, but I'm half empty on our dollars and especially membership, hence why I advocate looking at Tassie games. We shouldn't let onfield excitement wallpaper over the cracks, but I'm not suggesting you are, but we can't ignore the problems as even at our peak 5 years ago, we only saw a fractional rise in membership, and then lost more than the rise within a few years. Success onfield is only a small part.

Twodogs
10-02-2014, 06:32 PM
Having just watched Breaking Bad, I fully endorse changing our slogan from Gather the pack to We are the danger. By far the greatest football club slogan ever

Maybe we could drop Cede Nullis and replace it with whatever the Latin is for We Are The Danger?

Ghost Dog
10-02-2014, 06:49 PM
Nice one T and T.
Bombers - "whatever it takes" should be " We take whatever!"

B-Tragic, I guess that's the point with 'gather the pack', to try and get these members back. Here's hoping Peter will charm them back. He does a pretty good job on Radio.

If they gave awards for 'most improved club' I think it would be us. You go down to Whitten Oval these days and it just keeps getting more professional. The number of AFL memberships is at an all time high, and if we can win more games, keep improving the brand and get a high profile player, the numbers will grow.

bulldogtragic
10-02-2014, 07:05 PM
Nice one T and T.
Bombers - "whatever it takes" should be " We take whatever!"

B-Tragic, I guess that's the point with 'gather the pack', to try and get these members back.

Exactly, we've taken the coolade so it's tapping into the psyche of people who are for some reason willing to join and equally willing to not renew. This is what frustrates me so much, because I don't see it in my mind, I can't understand if it's the club or the types of mind sets of members not renewing. I have numerous family members in that boat, and it shites me to tears... I genuinely think if we can stem the losses then things can turn around. The club needs members now, not just when were playing deep into September, another 10,000 members makes us far more competitive off field with the top teams, not to mention paying our debts.

Nuggety Back Pocket
10-02-2014, 07:16 PM
Dees should've been deregistered and with their last decade, that they have more members, ain't a silver lining.
Saints are a rabble. The constant off field of their club is an embarrassment for the league. Again, not a silver lining.

We are a proud, ethical and responsible citizen in the football world. We leak members higher than any other club. We have horrible issues in membership that do not seem to be able to be rectified. I remember a decade ago we were said to be losing 6,000 members each year. Peter Gordon recently said that over the past 6 years, we've lost more members than our tally. If we could but that loss by 50% over that period we would have around 45,000 members.

There is so much to be excited about this season, but we are in deep debt, have less footy dept spending than the big clubs, relied on our president giving a million dollars and a membership problem that won't fix. It's not about half full, OR half empty. I'm half full about the season, but I'm half empty on our dollars and especially membership, hence why I advocate looking at Tassie games. We shouldn't let onfield excitement wallpaper over the cracks, but I'm not suggesting you are, but we can't ignore the problems as even at our peak 5 years ago, we only saw a fractional rise in membership, and then lost more than the rise within a few years. Success onfield is only a small part.

Equalization and sustained on field success would seem to be our best options in turning the Club around. I like your Tassie thoughts but realistically doubt whether it will happen.The AFL needs to get serious if it wants the WB North Demons and Saints to remain a viable part of the competition not helped by the generous draft concessions given to GWS and Gold Coast Suns.
Clearly our Board led by Peter Gordon, Coaching and MC plus Recruitment, needs to be the best possible for us to overcome the odds.

doggies ftw
10-02-2014, 07:28 PM

I know its frustrating so many supporters aren't still signed up but I see that as a positive, it means we have the support there we just need to convince them to sign up, which is easier than convincing people to support the club. All we need to do is keep on going the way we are and with some decent success the member base will rise quickly, then with some exciting footy and TV exposure we should be able to pick up some more, especially from the west.

Remi Moses
10-02-2014, 07:49 PM
BT makes some salient points.
What annoys me is the annoyance of the draw, the Free to air exposure( lack of it)
Yes we have some apathetic fans, and we just can't afford it.
Yesterday's tally was at 21,000 and I think 35,000 is obtainable( we need a good start)

bulldogtragic
10-02-2014, 07:54 PM
Thanks guys.

The problem with 'equalisation' is I don't think it will be a genuine attempt at what I think equalisation should be. Giving us some money to let us exist so the top teams can play a variety teams is not what is going to bring the club anything relevant. I may be reading the tea leaves wrong, but I don't get a sense it's genuine access to full equalisation.

As for TV, and ultimately attendances, we got screwed this year. The teams we play twice won't draw crowds, and the Sunday afternoons will hurt membership. Look at the thread from the time, upper level doggies members are considering dropping levels because it just doesn't work. Good Friday could have been given to us this year for instance. Going to Cairns puzzles me.

As far as I see it, the club seems to able to attract members but not retain them. Success will bring more in, but like 5 years ago, they leave when we really need them. That said I'm excited, pumped even for this year, but I have one eye glued to membership and then the flow on such as expenditure, debt etc. I think we have Hhe team off field to do it, but membership leakage could kill us.

Ghost Dog
11-02-2014, 12:01 AM
What I think Peter brings is a more nuanced understanding of the 'community' aspect of Bulldogism that fell away for a while and hasn't really returned for many fans. I must say that the process in the past of getting a membership wasn't always smooth, or even just renewing. I sometimes would go shopping at the Bulldogs shop at Whitten oval and the staff were not Bulldogs fans, or that enthusiastic. Just small things, but they all add up. It felt like something very corporate had taken over the club. I think Peter really gets the culture, and what it means to be a member. I can see changes in small ways, positive changes.The Museum, which is small but very important, even spiritual. They new photos of the players, taken in the old style. Trying to make the cheersquad a family friendly zone. These are small things but very important and ( I don't know for sure, but suspect ) they have the touch of Peter about them.

LostDoggy
11-02-2014, 12:58 AM

No. And No. I reckon it's actually a pretty good summary of 'where we are at'. There will be some surprised sides, and some who will struggle the next week after playing us, this coming season.

Greystache
11-02-2014, 01:17 AM
Maybe we could drop Cede Nullis and replace it with whatever the Latin is for We Are The Danger?

Not quite the literal translation but;

"periculum non Bulldogs nos periculum"

BulldogBelle
11-02-2014, 12:09 PM

Fantastic! How about "we are the one who knocks" (on the door to the top 8)

BB people will know it.

Twodogs
11-02-2014, 12:34 PM

What does it actually mean?

Greystache
11-02-2014, 01:05 PM
What does it actually mean?

Not risk/danger Bulldogs are risk/danger

Greystache
11-02-2014, 01:07 PM
Fantastic! How about "we are the one who knocks" (on the door to the top 8)

BB people will know it.

Nos autem qui pulsat

"We who knocks"

Murphy'sLore
11-02-2014, 02:39 PM
"non periculum Bulldogs nos periculum"

t's a long time since my last Latin lesson but should that 'nos' maybe be 'sunt'?

always right
11-02-2014, 09:37 PM
How do you say "Romans go home"?

bulldogtragic
11-02-2014, 10:51 PM
how do you say "romans go home"?

"romanes eunt domus" :)

w3design
12-02-2014, 03:17 PM
I must say I agree with Tragic. I suspect when it comes to "equalization", the big guys [clubs] and the AFL will say all the right things on the topic. But when push comes to shove, what we in all likelihood get is a 'Claytons' form of equalization. If we, and the other smaller clubs were to be put on an absolutely equal footing with the Colliwobbles and the Blue rinsers I suspect all hell would break loose. The rich clubs would go ballistic. If the funds,draw and blockbusters and TV were the same for the Dogs as those guys, watch out for the fireworks.

And Ghost, I don't know if it our supporter demographic, or just what it is that makes our retention rate so poor, but you are likely right that there are lots of those little things that could help.

I can't help but wonder if there is not something that we are either doing wrong, or alternately not doing right with the structures of our membership packages. Why is it we have such a poor retention rate when compared to other clubs ? I don't have the answers to these questions, but pretty clearly we need to find ways to make renewal more attractive.
Could there be some form of reward system for those who do renew, to make doing so more attractive than not? The RACV's years of membership discounts are an example of this type of thinking. Perhaps a freebie of some kind [ free entry ticket to some club events for renewing { particularly'for life'renewals},or tickets to an away game, etc.].
I do not know what research the Club has done with non-renewing ex members, but clearly we need to find out if there is a thread or pattern behind this problem, and we need to do it before our next rise up the ladder, when our base membership hopefully will grow. We need to have our retention problem fixed if possible before our member numbers peak. It is to late to start down this path once any future drop off starts post a boom.

I suspect we need to look at the age make up of our supporter base too. When attending a lot of club functions there seems to be a disproportionate number of older members to centre age group [teens to 40's]. IE the proportion of middle-aged and older supporters seems out of kilter with the general population. Just like our playing group seems made up mostly of veterans and kids, so our supporter base seems to my eyes to suffer the same kind of imbalance.

Just one of the problems with a lot of elderly members, is mobility eventually becomes an issue, and inevitably some sadly drop off the perch too.

LostDoggy
12-02-2014, 04:30 PM
Sustained success on the football field is required to convince the newbies to stay. Those who buy a ticket one year but not the next have had their fun and see no reason to stay. But if we had sustained success at the top level and if we had a fanatical culture like the Pies, we would provide reasons to stay.

The success then needs to cover generations, not just a few years so that wanting to be part of it becomes entrenched.

Everything we do is "small". Our inferiority complex is charming in its own way but it does not bleed expansion.

1eyedog
12-02-2014, 05:26 PM

By telling them that Hannibal is at the gates.

jeemak
13-02-2014, 12:08 AM
I must say I agree with Tragic. I suspect when it comes to "equalization", the big guys [clubs] and the AFL will say all the right things on the topic. But when push comes to shove, what we in all likelihood get is a 'Claytons' form of equalization. If we, and the other smaller clubs were to be put on an absolutely equal footing with the Colliwobbles and the Blue rinsers I suspect all hell would break loose. The rich clubs would go ballistic. If the funds,draw and blockbusters and TV were the same for the Dogs as those guys, watch out for the fireworks.

And Ghost, I don't know if it our supporter demographic, or just what it is that makes our retention rate so poor, but you are likely right that there are lots of those little things that could help.

I can't help but wonder if there is not something that we are either doing wrong, or alternately not doing right with the structures of our membership packages. Why is it we have such a poor retention rate when compared to other clubs ? I don't have the answers to these questions, but pretty clearly we need to find ways to make renewal more attractive.
Could there be some form of reward system for those who do renew, to make doing so more attractive than not? The RACV's years of membership discounts are an example of this type of thinking. Perhaps a freebie of some kind [ free entry ticket to some club events for renewing { particularly'for life'renewals},or tickets to an away game, etc.].
I do not know what research the Club has done with non-renewing ex members, but clearly we need to find out if there is a thread or pattern behind this problem, and we need to do it before our next rise up the ladder, when our base membership hopefully will grow. We need to have our retention problem fixed if possible before our member numbers peak. It is to late to start down this path once any future drop off starts post a boom.

I suspect we need to look at the age make up of our supporter base too. When attending a lot of club functions there seems to be a disproportionate number of older members to centre age group [teens to 40's]. IE the proportion of middle-aged and older supporters seems out of kilter with the general population. Just like our playing group seems made up mostly of veterans and kids, so our supporter base seems to my eyes to suffer the same kind of imbalance.

Just one of the problems with a lot of elderly members, is mobility eventually becomes an issue, and inevitably some sadly drop off the perch too.

The awards incentive only works when you offer the supporting business a viable proposition in terms of uptake. Whilst I agree it's a good idea to be used progressively as our membership base develops, we need to ensure we have a reasonable foundation of members who will actually buy in and make use of the incentive in the first place. We don't have that at the moment.

With that in mind, I struggle to find a partner in the highly exposed corporate market to align ourselves with. It's almost a self fulfilling issue, where what we target to attain our desired outcome from such an endeavor is precisely what we need to lift it from the ground in the first place.

They key commodities we have at our disposal are hope of our list developing to a finals contender over the next two years, and membership engagement and development on the back of that hope.

This season is significant in developing hope in our playing list, we really need to start the year well. We need to show existing members a reason not to drop off due to our on field performances, and new members a reason to get on board and join in the fun.

Equalising the competition will happen. For us, it won't be via exposure to prime time slots against big drawing crowds, rather, it will be via capping the ability of bigger clubs to spend significantly higher amounts on their football departments.

We need to understand that for the short and medium term we are not going to position ourselves as a prime time player. It's essential that we scrap for an even distribution of funds from gate receipts and TV spoils, with the big prize being the off-selling of Docklands, a stadium with high value our club has subsidised at great expense for the ongoing benefit of larger tenants throughout its operation. The biggest travesty about our stadium deal is the fact we've not made a profit from playing there week in week out, while others have been paid to play there. This is an issue if raised properly in the public should most definitely gain momentum as a reason for us to be provided with a greater share of the competition's spoils.

Remi Moses
13-02-2014, 12:55 AM
Good old Eddie having another crack at the Smaller clubs the other night .
At their AGM he stated clubs were " picking Collingwood's pockets"in the equalisation debate.
Are we going to get the B/S equalisation policy or a fair dinkum fair deal for the competition.
What's the Latin word for windbag

Remi Moses
13-02-2014, 12:59 AM
The awards incentive only works when you offer the supporting business a viable proposition in terms of uptake. Whilst I agree it's a good idea to be used progressively as our membership base develops, we need to ensure we have a reasonable foundation of members who will actually buy in and make use of the incentive in the first place. We don't have that at the moment.

With that in mind, I struggle to find a partner in the highly exposed corporate market to align ourselves with. It's almost a self fulfilling issue, where what we target to attain our desired outcome from such an endeavor is precisely what we need to lift it from the ground in the first place.

They key commodities we have at our disposal are hope of our list developing to a finals contender over the next two years, and membership engagement and development on the back of that hope.

This season is significant in developing hope in our playing list, we really need to start the year well. We need to show existing members a reason not to drop off due to our on field performances, and new members a reason to get on board and join in the fun.

Equalising the competition will happen. For us, it won't be via exposure to prime time slots against big drawing crowds, rather, it will be via capping the ability of bigger clubs to spend significantly higher amounts on their football departments.

We need to understand that for the short and medium term we are not going to position ourselves as a prime time player. It's essential that we scrap for an even distribution of funds from gate receipts and TV spoils, with the big prize being the off-selling of Docklands, a stadium with high value our club has subsidised at great expense for the ongoing benefit of larger tenants throughout its operation. The biggest travesty about our stadium deal is the fact we've not made a profit from playing there week in week out, while others have been paid to play there. This is an issue if raised properly in the public should most definitely gain momentum as a reason for us to be provided with a greater share of the competition's spoils.
Great post Jeemak. Here here

jeemak
13-02-2014, 01:05 AM
Good old Eddie having another crack at the Smaller clubs the other night .
At their AGM he stated clubs were " picking Collingwood's pockets"in the equalisation debate.
Are we going to get the B/S equalisation policy or a fair dinkum fair deal for the competition.
What's the Latin word for windbag

All we ask of Eddie is to provide equal access to prime time slots, blockbusters and AFL promotion via the fixture (making it a draw). Failing that, allow clubs not fortunate enough to gain benefit from these areas to benefit from other avenues.

The stupid and crazy thing about this sport is there's nobody in the media who will ever challenge him on those points, because they're all on the gravy train he leads.

His attitude represents the selfish and entitled attitude that is making society a much less equal and enjoyable place in which to dwell.

Remi Moses
13-02-2014, 01:12 AM
All we ask of Eddie is to provide equal access to prime time slots, blockbusters and AFL promotion via the fixture (making it a draw). Failing that, allow clubs not fortunate enough to gain benefit from these areas to benefit from other avenues.

The stupid and crazy thing about this sport is there's nobody in the media who will ever challenge him on those points, because they're all on the gravy train he leads.

His attitude represents the selfish and entitled attitude that is making society a much less equal and enjoyable place in which to dwell.
That's what gets on my goat the most.
He shoots of his mouth continually,with his hand up Gary Perts back . He never mentions and conveniently forgets the rigged money making fixture his club enjoys.

bulldogtragic
13-02-2014, 01:13 AM

I'd love to know if Newbold, Kernahan and Eddie were so busy fighting to be the AFL president's spokesperson criticising Essendon in the heat of the drugs saga, but Peter Gordon lobbied the other guys to get the nod to publicly side with Vlad, not Paul Little...

Happy Days
13-02-2014, 02:03 AM

"Stop the boats"

LostDoggy
13-02-2014, 06:21 PM
Not sure if I'm looking at it too simplistically but I feel that if we were heading into this season as a certain (as certain as you can be) top 8 team and our draw in terms of time slots reflected out strong on-field performance, we wouldn't be discussing getting membership numbers up.

Eastdog
13-02-2014, 08:40 PM
Not sure if I'm looking at it too simplistically but I feel that if we were heading into this season as a certain (as certain as you can be) top 8 team and our draw in terms of time slots reflected out strong on-field performance, we wouldn't be discussing getting membership numbers up.

Membership has always been an issue with us. Do you think our supporter base is bigger than it is and people for whatever reasons just don't sign up or is it just reality that we have a small supporter base compared to other clubs.

Remi Moses
13-02-2014, 11:42 PM
Membership has always been an issue with us. Do you think our supporter base is bigger than it is and people for whatever reasons just don't sign up or is it just reality that we have a small supporter base compared to other clubs.

Bit of both I'd say.

LostDoggy
14-02-2014, 12:59 PM

I think the supporter base is still a bit smaller but I think it's still bigger than we realise (if that makes sense?)

LostDoggy
14-02-2014, 02:35 PM
More Friday night games and less Sunday twilight and the numbers will rise. Give it time, gentlemen.

w3design
17-02-2014, 05:03 PM
While clearly we have a smaller than average fan base, I thought the problem we set out to discuss was retention of members. If we could retain most of our new signings each season, rather than annually facing an abnormally high 'churn rate', I am sure our position re membership would improve dramatically.
I understand sustained success attracts good support for teams. However, no team stays at the top indefinitely. So really the problem lies in getting those supporters who come onboard when you are on a peak to turn into dedicated long-term members.

Thinking back over the decades, through what was it?, the late 50's or whatever Melbourne had a long period of success. During the Carey etc. era North had a long spell of regularly playing finals and winning premierships.

Both these teams now share the membership cellar with us.

Then you look at the Tiger's massive supporter base, despite their having very little finals action for decades.
What I am saying is that while successful eras might get lots of extra supporters on board while a team is flying high, it does not automatically equate to long term high membership necessarily.
What we need are ways to set any new supporter base in cement. Turn them from fair weather fans to dedicated 'hail or shine' fanatics and members. We need to get renewal to become a habit among our fan base.

BornInDroopSt'54
18-02-2014, 11:29 AM
"Nos cavenda sunt". Cop that you wealthy unethical opponents who bask in false glory year in year out and attract phoney front running supporters.

chef
30-09-2016, 08:39 PM
'Some guys have affairs, some guys buy red Ferraris...and I'm in love with the Western Bulldogs Footy Club' - Peter Gordon on personally contributing $2-3 million since coming back as President.

Legend.

bulldogtragic
02-10-2016, 01:34 AM
In his post match press conference, he had a pot shot at Ian Collins for the 1998 Browlow take off Granty and suggested maybe the AFL should look at changing it. A true fan of the highest order.

bornadog
03-10-2016, 01:13 PM
He is going to ask the AFL to give Bevo another medal.

S Coast Simon
03-10-2016, 01:33 PM
The AFL should be quick to offer him one as that moment will go down in history. You can't buy PR like that moment and the AFL could make headlines around the world with a press conference to award Bevo his medal