03-12-2013, 07:39 PM
just heard on SEN.

divvydan
03-12-2013, 07:40 PM
Article here

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2013-12-03/griffen-named-captain

Topdog
Congratulations to the great man and IMO a good decision.

bulldogtragic
Yeah baby.

Keep the good news Rollin!!!!!!!

LostDoggy
Well deserved

bulldogtragic
03-12-2013, 07:41 PM
"It’s a huge honour to lead this Club — a Club I love dearly."
- Ryan Griffen

bulldogtragic
03-12-2013, 07:42 PM
This does deserve 2 threads, I agree :)

It's just so good!

chef
03-12-2013, 07:42 PM
Wowee. Love it.

Bulldog4life
03-12-2013, 07:43 PM
Great news.

whythelongface
03-12-2013, 07:44 PM
Great news.

Also a big thank you to Matty Boyd for leading our team over the last 3 years.

Bulldog4life
03-12-2013, 07:45 PM
Great news.

Ditto. Well said.

bulldogtragic
03-12-2013, 07:46 PM
Griff and BMac holding the cup together. I can visualise this. :)

LostDoggy
03-12-2013, 07:51 PM
Having a Ryan leading the way is always good.

The Underdog
03-12-2013, 07:56 PM
Great move, love it. Clearly our best player and has matured hugely in the last few years.

LostDoggy
03-12-2013, 08:14 PM
Perfect timing. One of the best players in the league, the right age and most importantly his team mates will run through brick walls for him. A massive thank you to Matthew Boyd as well for being a fearless leader during three pretty tough years for the Club. This appointment certainly has nothing to do with the job Boydy has done. Great news all round.

Greystache
03-12-2013, 08:19 PM
Great news. Really pleased with the way Griffen has has grown under BMac.

The Bulldogs Bite
03-12-2013, 08:20 PM
Great news.

It was only a few years ago that the club/Rocket described Griff as a player who preferred to stay out of any sort of leadership role. He has certainly improved as both a player and leader under McCartney and co.

LostDoggy
03-12-2013, 08:23 PM
He's bloody tough, courageous and one of the best player I've seen play for the Dogs, but he's also humble and fiercely loyal. Can't think of a better bloke for the job.

mighty_west
03-12-2013, 08:24 PM
Great news. Really pleased with the way Griffen has has grown under BMac.

He has gone from really good player to elite, with Libba not far behind.

Well done Griff, well deserved.

AndrewP6
03-12-2013, 08:41 PM
Great news, well deserved.

LostDoggy
03-12-2013, 08:46 PM
Great news.

An inglorious job during thankless times and our courageous tough tough captain turned out proudly week after week to charge our colours into the teeth of the enemy.

Matty B may not be the most skilled captain we have ever had but he stands shoulder to shoulder with some far better known names.

He was the captain we had to have, for the time we had to face, to snarl into the face of the oncoming gales of footy fate and stand up for the WBFC.

Vale on your captaincy Matty. With what impeccable timing you stand selflessly aside for the next emerging leader. We thank you!

Griff - good luck old son. Champion footballer who is reaching elite status and may your captaincy shine!!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
03-12-2013, 08:52 PM
Great news. Griff showed during his 8 games at the helm this year he is one who excels with the responsibility of leadership.
Well done to Boyd for his contribution as skipper during a very tough period.

Doc26
03-12-2013, 08:54 PM
Congratulations Ryan, well deserved, and to Boydy for representing the Club with such courage and dignity through a lean spot. It was great to see both Matthew and Bob represent the playing group at Elaine Schultz's funeral today held out at the Police Academy. We really have some good stock down at the Club to set the next generation on the right path.

LostDoggy
03-12-2013, 09:10 PM
Great news, will be a great captain, thanks Boydy for your tireless effort as captain.

I also think it may be blessing for Boyd to relinquish the captaincy and just focus on playing the game to the best of his ability.

jeemak
03-12-2013, 10:10 PM
An inglorious job during thankless times and our courageous tough tough captain turned out proudly week after week to charge our colours into the teeth of the enemy.

Matty B may not be the most skilled captain we have ever had but he stands shoulder to shoulder with some far better known names.

He was the captain we had to have, for the time we had to face, to snarl into the face of the oncoming gales of footy fate and stand up for the WBFC.

Vale on your captaincy Matty. With what impeccable timing you stand selflessly aside for the next emerging leader. We thank you!

Griff - good luck old son. Champion footballer who is reaching elite status and may your captaincy shine!!

Good post. Well done Matty Boyd, and thank you for your service as our captain. You represented yourself and our club with distinction.

Absolutely rapt with the uplift in Griff's career, and congratulate him on securing the captaincy.

Ghost Dog
03-12-2013, 10:12 PM
I love this decision. Was thrilled when I saw the picture in The Age.
Matty Boyd gets to hold his head high. Good work Matt and keep it up. You're as Bulldog as they come.

w3design
03-12-2013, 10:32 PM
Greta news on Griff and thanks Matty Boyd for the 3 years during a tuff rebuilding era for the club.

BornInDroopSt'54
03-12-2013, 11:27 PM
Ryan congratulations on your newfound captaincy. You were born to lead the Dogs and who knows what destiny has in mind for us but one thing I do know is that the essence of leadership is far less what you say than how you lead by example.
I am emotional about your leadership because I too lost my father too early, I too had to find a new home and you have shown that you have discovered the greatness in yourself to balance the greatness of your father.

azabob
03-12-2013, 11:29 PM
Ryan congratulations on your newfound captaincy. You were born to lead the Dogs and who knows what destiny has in mind for us but one thing I do know is that the essence of leadership is far less what you say than how you lead by example.
I am emotional about your leadership because I too lost my father too early, I too had to find a new home and you have shown that you have discovered the greatness in yourself to replace the greatness of your father.

Nice post.

boydogs
03-12-2013, 11:37 PM
Anyone concerned this will reduce his focus on his game?

Go_Dogs
03-12-2013, 11:55 PM
Very happy with this appointment, he's really developed into a heart and soul player who is capable of dragging his teammates to greater heights through his courage, effort and determination - not to mention he is a pretty handy player too. He obviously commands the respect of the playing group and staff and I think he's going to do a great job.

Kudos to Matty Boyd too who has been a great leader for us since Johnno's retirement and I'm sure will continue to be a strong leader and positive influence around the club.

Twodogs
03-12-2013, 11:59 PM
Griff and BMac holding the cup together. I can visualise this. :)

Ryan will be our next premiership captain. I can feel it!

Great news.

It was only a few years ago that the club/Rocket described Griff as a player who preferred to stay out of any sort of leadership role. He has certainly improved as both a player and leader under McCartney and co.

Yep.reportedly one of the reasons he refused GWS was the extra focus the role would bring.

No. I think he's ready to take on the load.

bornadog
04-12-2013, 12:01 AM
One of my favourite players - congratulations Ryan and thank you to Boydy

Twodogs
04-12-2013, 12:02 AM
And thank you to Matthew Boyd for the last 3 years. He's set a high standard for Griff to follow.

Remi Moses
04-12-2013, 12:49 AM
Congrats to griff and well deserved.
Kudos to Matthew Boyd on leading the club in a difficult time.

ratsmac
04-12-2013, 01:34 AM
Fantastic news. Great move by the club. The players seem to love and respect him.

Thank you Matthew Boyd for your great captaincy over the last 3 years. The playing group is what it is today from Boyd's leadership on and off the field.

A good thing is that we will get to hear Griff speak more often.

W W Biscuit
04-12-2013, 05:42 AM
This is awesome news. Well done Griff, and well done Dogs on this forward thinking appointment.

Quite a few Doggy players are on record as professing their love for the club...probably led by Bob Murphy. There's no doubt that these guys enjoy being around quality people. I so dearly hope that this close knit bunch can claim the ultimate glory, with Griff standing on the podium - arms aloft.

LostDoggy
04-12-2013, 08:19 AM
Great news.

Not all leaders are the stand-at-the-front, make yourself heard type.

westdog54
04-12-2013, 09:11 AM
And thank you to Matthew Boyd for the last 3 years. He's set a high standard for Griff to follow.

Echoed.

This is a great result for the club and both players. Being able to concentrate purely on football will do Boydy the world of good.

Nuggety Back Pocket
04-12-2013, 09:14 AM
Congratulations Ryan, well deserved, and to Boydy for representing the Club with such courage and dignity through a lean spot. It was great to see both Matthew and Bob represent the playing group at Elaine Schultz's funeral today held out at the Police Academy. We really have some good stock down at the Club to set the next generation on the right path.

Well said Doc. Griff is an excellent choice as leader and our most outstanding player. Boyd has done an admirable job and deserves praise. Matthew rose from a rookie listed player to become a fine servant and ambassador for the WB. I also attended Elaine Schultz's funeral, attended by some 500 people, with our Club strongly represented, amongst the big gathering.

Mofra
04-12-2013, 09:31 AM
It didn't for 6 weeks last season

azabob
04-12-2013, 10:09 AM
Not all leaders are the stand-at-the-front, make yourself heard type.

To be in an offical role as captain you have to be stand at the front and be heard type.

Ozza
04-12-2013, 10:25 AM
Well done Griff.

I think all supporters are pretty proud to have him skipper the club.

He's really at the peak of his powers right now too. Look forward to watching him lead, in all ways, for the next few years.

KT31
04-12-2013, 10:43 AM
Well done to Griff, led from the front when you captained last season.
Honour for you to be captain, but an honour for us to have a player of your calibre stick with us and take the job on.
Well done to Matty Boyd on the excellent job he has done over the last few seasons as captin.

craigsahibee
04-12-2013, 12:49 PM

Only knowing Griff from the stands, I think the appointment will only benefit him as a player. He is at the age and level of development now where I think he will thrive on the added responsibility, albeit titular as he already demonstrates incredible leadership through his actions on field.

LostDoggy
04-12-2013, 03:06 PM
To be in an offical role as captain you have to be stand at the front and be heard type.

No, I'm afraid you may have misread me. What I mean is, there is more than one way to lead. I have no doubt that Griff's leadership style is going to be vastly different to Boydy's. Not to say one will be better than the other, just different, and the difference could be really invigorating, especially for our younger group.

neddie
04-12-2013, 03:50 PM
Great news. Griff showed during his 8 games at the helm this year he is one who excels with the responsibility of leadership.
Well done to Boyd for his contribution as skipper during a very tough period.

Well said ,he showed last season he has the qualities required

Mantis
04-12-2013, 05:49 PM
Excellent news.. The time was right for a change.

Maddog37
04-12-2013, 06:07 PM
Am I correct in hearing Boydy has been encouraging Griff to take over as captain? Very selfless man is Boydy.

LostDoggy
04-12-2013, 06:22 PM
Am I correct in hearing Boydy has been encouraging Griff to take over as captain? Very selfless man is Boydy.

Agree. Has done the right thing by the club if so.

This move will be a positive for Boyd. He has become a bit of a whipping boy (I'm guilty too) for his disposal efficiency, and this is made worse when he's the captain. He can now ply his trade without fear or favour, the Captain Turnover cries will be silenced, and fans can rest assured he's in the side on merit, not title.

LostDoggy
05-12-2013, 01:22 PM
Boyd spoke to Macca and Griff about handing it over at the end of the season because Boydy felt it was the best thing for the Club. Very selfless indeed.

bornadog
05-12-2013, 01:30 PM
Boyd spoke to Macca and Griff about handing it over at the end of the season because Boydy felt it was the best thing for the Club. Very selfless indeed.

Somehow I have felt Boyd was a little unconformable being the Captain - I guess more in the public eye.

We have had some very quiet type of Captains over the years and one reason Griff wasn't captain earlier was because he also is a quiet type. However, he is maturing now and the six games last year showed he can be a leader and will make a good captain for us.

Dancin' Douggy
05-12-2013, 03:40 PM
wGriff Will go down as one of our all time greatest players.

Daughter of the West
05-12-2013, 03:45 PM

That's damn impressive stuff. Thank you Matty for your service as captain.

And awesome stuff Griff! The excitement is building for next season :)

Eastdog
05-12-2013, 03:50 PM
Thank you Matt for being a great captain of our footy club and well done to Ryan on being our new captain. I'm sure he will be great in the new role.

Sedat
05-12-2013, 04:26 PM
Terrific appointment, and exactly at the right time. He may yet end up being be the best and most decorated player out of the 2004 draft.