PDA

View Full Version : Josh Prudden extends contract

azabob
09-12-2013, 01:20 PM
Promising midfielder Josh Prudden has extended his contract with the Western Bulldogs, ensuring he will remain at the kennel until at least the end of 2015.

Wow, the club must be impressed with him.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogs/news/2013-12-09/prudden-extends-deal

Cyberdoggie
09-12-2013, 01:33 PM
Good show of faith from the club.

This year was pretty much a washout for Josh with injuries and trying to adapt to training as an AFL footballer. Looks to have plenty of ability though and maybe the club see's this year as a breakout year for him. Better to give him another year now than pay more for him later if they are sure.

I think it's a good move by the club. He'll surprise a few when he's up and running I think.

Greystache
09-12-2013, 01:35 PM
I saw him play his last full game against Collingwood in the VFL and he was super impressive that day. Racked up 28 disposals and used the ball really well. If that's a sign of things to come we have a very good player coming through.

SlimPickens
09-12-2013, 01:57 PM
Terrific kid, works bloody hard and is incredibly humble.

Look forward to seeing him get amongst it in 2014 and beyond.

lemmon
09-12-2013, 02:04 PM
I saw him play his last full game against Collingwood in the VFL and he was super impressive that day. Racked up 28 disposals and used the ball really well. If that's a sign of things to come we have a very good player coming through.

Still have never seen him play, who could you compare him to?

Greystache
09-12-2013, 02:10 PM

No one on our list at the moment really. He's a tough contest winner who uses the ball well in tight and is very composed. A bit of a Jobe Watson type but not quite as big.

bulldogtragic
09-12-2013, 02:11 PM
No one on our list at the moment really. He's a tough contest winner who uses the ball well in tight and is very composed. A bit of a Jobe Watson type but not quite as big.
And super coac of whoever had him equal last in the rankings.

Get on board I'd say.

always right
09-12-2013, 02:14 PM

Big call but touch of the Scotty West about him. Tough, left footer with footy smarts.

bornadog
09-12-2013, 02:15 PM
Would have thought this is an early call.

Scorlibo
09-12-2013, 02:33 PM
Really like Josh, as others have mentioned - a touch of class and great vision for such a young player.

azabob
09-12-2013, 02:42 PM
Terrific kid, works bloody hard and is incredibly humble.

Look forward to seeing him get amongst it in 2014 and beyond.

He come across extremely humble in the odd interview he does with bulldog TV.

Good luck to him.

azabob
09-12-2013, 02:46 PM

It is an early call, but it is only one year and obviously the club has seen a lot in Josh they like.

With young kids I would imgaine he would be feeling the pressure to perform in 2014 (as in play AFL) to ensure he gets another contract. This way he can just worry about continuing to develop and put on weight.

I think its a good move.

Ozza
09-12-2013, 03:42 PM

I don't think its an early call really.

Regardless of what happened in 2014 - we would be retaining him for 2015. Within reason, all draftees get 3 years - no harm in locking him in now and giving him a boost and a show of faith at the start of the pre-season when we've locked in the others that came through with him.

bornadog
09-12-2013, 04:40 PM
I don't think its an early call really.

Regardless of what happened in 2014 - we would be retaining him for 2015. Within reason, all draftees get 3 years - no harm in locking him in now and giving him a boost and a show of faith at the start of the pre-season when we've locked in the others that came through with him.

Why can't we wait and see if he is up to AFL standard first.

I hope he plays well and gets an opporrtunity in 2014 to show us he can play.

soupman
09-12-2013, 05:07 PM
He come across extremely humble in the odd interview he does with bulldog TV.

Good luck to him.

Spoken to him a couple of times and I'm praying he becomes a gun cause he was my favourite player to talk to at the family days. Was just really excited and friendly and as you said, humble.

Raw Toast
09-12-2013, 05:27 PM

I think with the development of Free Agency and a few more young players asking for trades early on, I think it makes sense to sign promising young kids to team friendly extensions early on. The wiser teams in the US do this a fair bit, and the AFL is increasingly modelled on these.

If the team sees something in Prudden now before be begins to blossom in games then this seems like a good move. I prefer this kind of risk to the delays that led us to losing Ward (even though the expansion teams can't grab players like that anymore, we should bed down the good ones early in team friendly deals).

Ozza
09-12-2013, 05:40 PM

How would we know if any player was 'up to AFL standard' within 2 seasons?

mighty_west
09-12-2013, 05:44 PM

Perhaps the powers at be who see him train on a daily basis and go about his business believe he has the talent and work ethic to make it? A bit like Fletcher Roberts?

bornadog
09-12-2013, 06:22 PM
How would we know if any player was 'up to AFL standard' within 2 seasons?

He hasn't played a single game yet. We will soon know if he has potential once he plays.

bornadog
09-12-2013, 06:22 PM
Perhaps the powers at be who see him train on a daily basis and go about his business believe he has the talent and work ethic to make it? A bit like Fletcher Roberts?

Yep they know more than us, that is for sure.

LostDoggy
09-12-2013, 07:39 PM
It is an early call, but it is only one year and obviously the club has seen a lot in Josh they like.

With young kids I would imgaine he would be feeling the pressure to perform in 2014 (as in play AFL) to ensure he gets another contract. This way he can just worry about continuing to develop and put on weight.

I think its a good move.

Thoughtful post. I concur.

Remi Moses
09-12-2013, 07:56 PM
The kid was royally screwed with that listed players scenario.
Hopefully gets a good run at it.

bornadog
26-05-2014, 11:23 PM
Promising midfielder Josh Prudden has extended his contract with the Western Bulldogs, ensuring he will remain at the kennel until at least the end of 2015.

Wow, the club must be impressed with him.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogs/news/2013-12-09/prudden-extends-deal

Has sustained a hamstring after having a knee problem. Was this smart list management when he hasn't even played a game.

GVGjr
26-05-2014, 11:34 PM
Has sustained a hamstring after having a knee problem.

Disappointing for Prudden but a lot of players have issues with hamstrings after knee injuries.

The Bulldogs Bite
26-05-2014, 11:39 PM
He will certainly need to show something next year (and hopefully still in 2014).

Remi Moses
27-05-2014, 12:47 AM
Tad harsh. I guess if we could crystal ball he wouldn't have got an extension.

bornadog
27-05-2014, 07:59 AM
Tad harsh. I guess if we could crystal ball he wouldn't have got an extension.
Perhaps only extend a contract when a player shows something on the ground ( seniors )

Mofra
27-05-2014, 09:58 AM
He'd be on base salary, I don't see an issue if we are taking a long term view

azabob
27-05-2014, 10:02 AM
He'd be on base salary, I don't see an issue if we are taking a long term view

I have no issue taking a longer term view either.

But as BAD suggests is this where we get into trouble?

The base salary list is endless - Skinner, Mulligan, Thorne, Goodes, DJ etc.

LostDoggy
27-05-2014, 10:14 AM
The old joke used to be 'Higgins, ankle - 2 weeks'

Remi Moses
27-05-2014, 04:21 PM
Perhaps only extend a contract when a player shows something on the ground ( seniors )

Perhaps they see that if he gets a decent run at it he may be worth it.
It's hardly a buddy Franklin contract you'd assume.

G-Mo77
27-05-2014, 04:43 PM
It is a spot on the list that is the most valuable, the contract is minimal that doesn't mean it's something we just shrug our shoulders at. Prudden has hardly even played VFL senior level at all and he's looking at another season with minimal games or none in any level of football. We had a break out player last year struggle to get a 2 year deal with us and we signed Josh for 2 years on pure speculation. I don't know about anyone else but I just find that odd.

A 1 year extension seems more appropriate.

Greystache
27-05-2014, 04:47 PM
It is a spot on the list that is the most valuable, the contract is minimal that doesn't mean it's something we just shrug our shoulders at. Prudden has hardly even played VFL senior level at all and he's looking at another season with minimal games or none in any level of football. We had a break out player last year struggle to get a 2 year deal with us and we signed Josh for 2 years on pure speculation. I don't know about anyone else but I just find that odd.

A 1 year extension seems more appropriate.

That's all it was. He's contract until the end of next season, his 3rd year.

Not many players get delisted after 2 years at a club unless they show absolutely no ability, or their attitude is terrible. Prudden doesn't fit either category. I'm not sure what the fuss is.

Sedat
27-05-2014, 04:49 PM
Sometimes a player is simply shit out of luck. Prudden by all accounts played some of the best footy of any 1st year recruit in the VFL last year but simply hasn't been able to get his body right. Hardly a glaring error compared to other list management decisions that have been made of late.

G-Mo77
27-05-2014, 04:50 PM
That's all it was. He's contract until the end of next season, his 3rd year.

Not many players get delisted after 2 years at a club unless they show absolutely no ability, or their attitude is terrible. Prudden doesn't fit either category. I'm not sure what the fuss is.

Fair enough, thought he was extended 2 years. My bad.

Greystache
27-05-2014, 04:53 PM
Fair enough, thought he was extended 2 years. My bad.

No worries I thought that must have been the case.

I only saw him play once in the VFL seniors last year, but he was seriously good. He was by far Willi's best player in a pretty poor loss. He had 28 touches in the centre, used the ball better than any of his team mates, and while Hunter also played well all the excitement at the ground was around Prudden. Hunter 3-4 weeks later was playing AFL footy and looking very good.

GVGjr
27-05-2014, 07:44 PM
I have no issue taking a longer term view either.

But as BAD suggests is this where we get into trouble?

I would have thought his position is different to just about everyone you have listed.

Skinner was highly speculative late pick. Mulligan was signed to a long term deal when we had the option of a 3rd year rookie spot, Thorne was here and gone in a season, Goodes is still on his first contract and DJ was a player that had been in the system for a while.

Prudden had to be signed to a 2 year deal as a minimum and we liked what we have seen so extended that deal by 12 months.
The downside is minimal.

We won't however, keep players if we only ask them to sign one year deals all the time

In 12 months time I think we would regret not penning a deal with Honeychurch

azabob
27-05-2014, 07:54 PM
I would have thought his position is different to just about everyone you have listed.

Skinner was highly speculative late pick. Mulligan was signed to a long term deal when we had the option of a 3rd year rookie spot, Thorne was here and gone in a season, Goodes is still on his first contract and DJ was a player that had been in the system for a while.

Prudden had to be signed to a 2 year deal as a minimum and we liked what we have seen so extended that deal. The downside is minimal.

We won't keep players if we ask them to sign one year deals all the time

GVGjr, I have no issues with signing Prudden for one year at all, in fact I think it was a good move. I didn't make that clear.

Take the player out of the situation. My point is by doing this, which we have made a habit of (see Howard, current listed rookies) we are clogging up the list and committing to players when necessarily we don't have to.

Now we are in the situation of having to cut more players than necessary at the end of 2014.

Ozza
29-05-2014, 10:01 AM
The small amount that I have seen of Prudden is enough to satisfy me that he should definitely be on the list in 2015.

Mofra
29-05-2014, 12:34 PM
I have no issue with Goodes.

Unlike the others listed, Prudden performed well at senior VFL level - acrually confused him with Hrovat in some games last year because of similarities in play.

Howard I wouldn't have kept, nor would I have re-rookied a few guys from last year but Prudden I am prepared to be more patient with because he has shown more than flashes, he has actually performed for 4 quarters against men.