PDA

View Full Version : Rate a club in 2014: Geelong

Dry Rot
10-12-2013, 01:08 AM
Let's start with one of the intriguing teams in 2014, Geelong.

They had the balls to cut 4 senior players, 3 of whom got a gig with another team.

They didn't do any great trading, and some would question the first player they drafted.

With the existing players, their ruckmen are dubious, but they have some exciting young guys coming through and some terrific older guys like Bartel and Taylor still on the books.

With the changing of the guard, fringe 8 for me but they may get a couple of highly rated scalps.

How do you rate them in 2014?

mighty_west
10-12-2013, 02:39 AM
Like the Pies I believe they'll drop back somewhere between 11th-8th, losing alot of experienced players will hurt short term but have alot of great kids developing to keep them around mid table.

Players like Kristen, Vardy and Walker should get greater game time filling some key positions whilst I see Hamish McIntosh as the wild card player in 2014, hasn't played for a few seasons but IF he can get back to anywhere near his best, will be extremely valuable to ruck but also rest up forward to help out Hawkins and those other tall developing kids mentioned.

Hawkins HAS to stay fit for any chance of sneaking in the 8.

Ozza
10-12-2013, 09:38 AM
Still a pretty strong side - Stevie J, Selwood, Taylor, Enright and if Hawkins is fit - means they have 5 of the elite players in the competition. Plus they have a lot of pace.

They'll win all of their Kardinia Park games (7) as usual - so they won't miss the Eight. I have them 5th-7th, but wouldn't be surprised if they are top 4 again.

Go_Dogs
10-12-2013, 10:12 AM
Really difficult side to get a read on for mine.

Hard to see them dropping out of the 8 this year, but an injury or two could really set them back.

I think they've got a good core coming through to replace the senior players but are perhaps short in a couple of areas of the ground.

My guess, 3-7.

Greystache
10-12-2013, 10:29 AM
I think they'll be there or there abouts again next year. They've lost another couple of senior players and will be relying on less proven players to take up the slack, but they still have some quality players. I think they'll finish in the bottom half of the 8, but aren't going to be a contender.

5-8

Happy Days
10-12-2013, 01:31 PM
They have too much top end talent to not make it, simple as that.

They also have somehow stumbled into a great group of potentially elite young guys. Another season of improvement in Motlop, Caddy, Duncan and even Smedts will be interesting to see. Plus Josh Hunt is gone, making them 80% more likeable.

4-6

Maddog37
10-12-2013, 01:42 PM
Top 4 as I cannot think of teams other than Swans, Freo and Hawks that will be better than them. When they lose Enright, Bartel and Stevie J they will drop off. You can replace these players but they really are in the top 1% of blokes to have played the game and do not grow on trees as much as the S Wells devotees want you to think they do.

1eyedog
10-12-2013, 02:14 PM
With the loss of Pods they better hope that Hawkins stays fit. If he doesn't they won't make the eight. If he does they'll fall in somewhere between 6-8.

Remi Moses
10-12-2013, 02:31 PM
Don't think they'll finish top 4 again.
They have to fall of the perch eventually considering how many greats they've lost.
Been an amazing effort to hold on for so long.
In the mix for top 4, but I reckon 5 to 8.

KT31
12-12-2013, 11:25 AM
5 to 8 for me as well.
With the loss of the older guys and Hawkins back problems their quality kids will have to step up this year.

Remi Moses
20-12-2013, 02:52 AM
Thankfully they've found some commonsense and ditched the silly, "Pay to watch us train" policy !
Talk about arrogance