PDA

View Full Version : Dogs fined $10k over ASADA error

Dry Rot
10-12-2013, 04:49 PM
How silly is this?

THE WESTERN Bulldogs have been fined $10,000 for failing to notify the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority of their players' whereabouts.

The Bulldogs failed to notify ASADA that 12 of their players would be part of a training camp in the USA between November 5-19.

Under the requirements of the anti-doping code, all clubs in the AFL are required to keep ASADA notified at all times of the location of listed players, for testing purposes.

AFL players may be tested 365 days of the year for banned performance-enhancing drugs.

AFL general counsel Andrew Dillon said the Western Bulldogs had notified the AFL in advance of their decision to conduct an overseas training camp, but not ASADA.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-12-10/dogs-fined-over-asada-error

Go_Dogs
10-12-2013, 04:57 PM
Wow. How much did Essendon get fined by ASADA again?

Happy Days
10-12-2013, 05:04 PM
So so dumb. $10k is ridiculously punitive, but the club should have done its due diligence.

The thread title is going to cause some heart palpitations.

ledge
10-12-2013, 05:07 PM
Its only $5000 if we behave for a year.
Certainly only an admin error if we told the AFL, a bit picky if you ask
Me,its not like they were hiding anything like the bombers.

LostDoggy
10-12-2013, 05:46 PM
ASADA are like the bully in the playground. They prey on the singular, easy targets (Saad, one club), but if it's a bunch of people they need to take on they cower.

bulldogtragic
10-12-2013, 05:48 PM
Why bother for such a small fine. Pretty pointless. But anyhoo.

ledge
10-12-2013, 05:54 PM
Pity a club who's player goes to the shop to do groceries and the club doesn't know where he is and ASADA find out

Ozza
10-12-2013, 05:56 PM
Nobody from ASADA read a newspaper in October? It was hardly a secret that players were headed there!!!

Yes I know, I know....there's processes and we should have notified them. But its not like they ever catch anyone anyway!

bornadog
10-12-2013, 05:58 PM
Bad administration error and a waste of money. Asada are not the bad boys here, we f#@k up.

SonofScray
10-12-2013, 06:10 PM
Disappointing, costly error. You just hope that the rules are applied fairly to all. I'm not certain about the integrity of the League or ASADA at the moment.

Doc26
10-12-2013, 06:31 PM
A bit surprising really that in the current ASADA / AFL landscape, not to mention our ongoing financial situation, that such an omission can occur from our Club administration. Hopefully just a one off crack in our administrative controls as in this territory there is generally no second chance.

Bulldog Joe
10-12-2013, 06:35 PM
A bit surprising really that in the current ASADA / AFL landscape, not to mention our ongoing financial situation, that such an omission can occur from our Club administration. Hopefully just a one off crack in our administrative controls as in this territory there is generally no second chance.

Sorry Doc.

I don't really see that the club has done much wrong. It is just over regulation. They certainly publicised that the players were going.

Surely someone at ASADA keeps track of the news that everyone else reads and just a quiet request to the club would have provided all the information required and covered things off.

LostDoggy
10-12-2013, 07:11 PM
Over regulation or not, the rules are the rules and someone made a blue. Disappointing but mistakes happen... just a shame this one cost $10,000.

Scraggers
10-12-2013, 07:16 PM
Why bother for such a small fine. Pretty pointless. But anyhoo.

It's not a small fine for us ... even if we do only pay the suspended price of $5000, that is equivalent to 30(ish) full adult memberships.

My beef ... this was last month, and we are fined today. The Essendone (spelling deliberate) saga was over a year ago and still nothing from ASADA :confused:

Might have to change their name to ASS-NADA (see what I did there? try the veal ...)

AndrewP6
10-12-2013, 07:24 PM
We stuffed up, we'll just have to cop this one.

bulldogtragic
10-12-2013, 08:06 PM
It's not a small fine for us ... even if we do only pay the suspended price of $5000, that is equivalent to 30(ish) full adult memberships.

My beef ... this was last month, and we are fined today. The Essendone (spelling deliberate) saga was over a year ago and still nothing from ASADA :confused:

Might have to change their name to ASS-NADA (see what I did there? try the veal ...)
Agreed. What I meant was from their perspective. $5,000 will get absorbed into any manner of internal budgets, so they don't need it and it's hardly a figure likely to ipso facto stop it ever occurring again, especially to large clubs that throw out dirty $100 notes. Why not fine $25,000 and have it wholly suspended? With an accompanying statement that this would be the last wholly suspended fine?

I'd hate to be the person at our club who cost us $5,000 and has to explain it to the guy who just put in a million.

boydogs
10-12-2013, 10:36 PM
Sorry Doc.

I don't really see that the club has done much wrong. It is just over regulation. They certainly publicised that the players were going.

Surely someone at ASADA keeps track of the news that everyone else reads and just a quiet request to the club would have provided all the information required and covered things off.

It's standard practice in elite sport that you must report your location at all times, this is nothing new. With Athletics Australia you even have to submit your training schedule & locations in advance.

Probably what got us is not the over regulation, but under regulation in that we don't need to report unless players are going away so we forgot to do it.

LostDoggy
10-12-2013, 11:19 PM
Pretty ordinary when the club want donations from members and then piss $5k or $10k off. So much for my membership donation of 3x $20 that I paid when I renewed

LostDoggy
10-12-2013, 11:49 PM
Garlick should take the rap for this and offer his resignation.

jeemak
11-12-2013, 08:42 AM

I think we should call for a spill of the board.

LostDoggy
11-12-2013, 09:18 AM
Don't forget B Mac in al this. He's our tyrannical Hird incarnate. Fall on your sword.

bornadog
11-12-2013, 09:44 AM

I think we should call for a spill of the board.

Don't forget B Mac in al this. He's our tyrannical Hird incarnate. Fall on your sword.

nahh, its the players fault they funded it themselves.

Happy Days
11-12-2013, 10:05 AM
nahh, its the players fault they funded it themselves.

REPLACEMENT PLAYERS~!

Shotgun CHF

1eyedog
11-12-2013, 10:47 AM
Sorry Doc.

Clearly there are formal notifications that need to be lodged and we failed to comply. ASADA are no where near resourced enough to employ someone to track the whereabouts of all players from all clubs - nor is it their role.
Regulations are regulations and I am sometimes miffed at the amount of administrative errors at the club.

KT31
11-12-2013, 11:57 AM
That settles it tracking chip's in all of our players from now on.:D

Seriously though its a fair bit of carry on to what could be compared to the equivalent of a parking ticket.