PDA

View Full Version : The Bulldog Stockmarket

GVGjr
10-12-2013, 07:46 PM
I was listening to SEN as I was driving home and thought it would be interesting to get everyone's predictions (and reasons) on which 3 players you believe will the biggest improvers in 2014?

Please add details on why your players will show strong improvement in 2014?

Scorlibo
10-12-2013, 08:40 PM
Easton Wood - I'm hoping he gets a good break from injury and can show why he's held in high esteem by the coaches.

Jake Stringer - the obvious one but a pre-season under his belt will make him a much more complete player.

Jordan Roughead - if the past year was the year for him to learn the ropes of playing down back, I anticipate that this year he will make big improvements and when he inevitably swings forward or into the ruck will be a much more competitive player.

LostDoggy
10-12-2013, 08:54 PM
1. Koby Stevens

Has been a standout in preseason so far with an eye to improve on a fairly impressive debut season in the red, white and blue. Making the seniors 19 times, his best game in 2013 came in Round 9 against St. Kilda in which he picked up 31 disposals and 3 goals. Has a tendency to try and crash through the pack with the ball which affects his usually neat disposal. With another full pre-season he'll come back fitter, stronger and smarter. Expecting plenty more of the Koby Stevens we saw against the Saints in 2014.

2. Tom Young

Another one of our "Moneyball" selections in the 2012 off-season, Tom Young also impressed in his first year at the Dogs. Played plenty of footy down back shutting down talls, smalls and providing run and carry through the middle. Beginning to tire towards the end of the season, Young has obviously worked hard over the break with several players commenting on how much fitter he is this pre-season compared to last. Still only 21 years of age, I expect him to cement a position on the half-back-flank for 2014 and beyond.

3. Mitch Wallis

A first-round draft pick who was always expected to have a long career with the Western Bulldogs, Mitch Wallis is ready to "do a Libba" and stamp himself on the competition. After coming 3rd place in the 2012 Rising Star Award, Mitch was in and out of the side for the first half of 2013 before coming back in with a more defensive midfield role. Not only did he completely smother several midfield stars, most notably Patrick Dangerfield, he continued to win plenty of the ball himself and use it to great effect. Coming back from the break in super condition, I predict Mitch will play every game in 2014 (barring injury) and finish very high up in the B&F.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-12-2013, 11:14 PM
1. Young -- He looks awkward and uncoordinated at times, but he does move reasonably well and he reads the play. His fitness was poor last year, but apparently he's already having a massive off season. If so, he becomes a much better player. He does most things well.

2. Hrovat -- He had an interrupted year, suffering quite a few injuries both pre and during the season. Despite this, he still had an impact at both AFL and VFL level which was encouraging. His game v Essendon was absolutely superb and highlighted how good he could be. Very Mitchell like, in that he just makes the right decisions whilst getting the ball with great regularity. Another pre-season under his belt and no interruptions and I expect him to 'surprise'.

3. Jones -- Taking a leap of faith with this one but it is time to deliver a more consistent product, and with solid support (Crameri, Stringer, Grant, Campbell) he has no excuses. He's a great athlete with terrific speed and a big leap. Combine this with sticky hands and he should be able to have a strong 2014. He certainly needs to improve his endurance and his general football IQ, but I think his skills/goal kicking has steadily improved, which is a plus. He still looks so 'raw' at times, but I am confident he can start troubling sides and take big steps forward in his development.

Talia would be next on my list. Probably ahead of Jones in reality, but either way, I think Micheal will step up. He's been physically ready from day dot, but IIRC his endurance has been improving quite rapidly.

stefoid
10-12-2013, 11:48 PM
Stringer: general fitness

Williams: will have an injury free season and give us great service as a swingman

Dal: Was good enough to get tagged and struggled with it, and injury. Finished the year stongly however and his trajectory YoY has been upwards. Next year I see him cracking 500 disposals and 30 goals

Twodogs
11-12-2013, 12:00 AM
1.Tom Young. Looked right at home toward the end of last season. I expect him to gain in confidence and find himself a spot next season.

2.Jake Stringer. With another preseason under his belt I really think think that he can have a break out year. I opulent be surprised with a 40-50 goal year.

3.Tom Campbell. The position is there for him. If the midfield can get the all into Tom's hands he can wreak some havoc down forward bringing others into the game with his quick thinking.

Players who came into calculations; Hrovat, Wallis, Hunter, Macrae, Stevens and others that I've forgotten.

The last couple of Draft/Trade periods has got us some exciting players. I think we have bought some guys in at bargain prices who will improve our team (and themselves) over the next couple of years.

comrade
11-12-2013, 12:04 AM
Hrovat: Looked very capable during his time at the top despite struggling with injury throughout the year. Expect a breakout season on the back of a big pre-season.

Hunter: Clearly smarter than your average footballer, Hunter will be able to have more impact for longer in his second season. I think he can kick 30 goals.

Campbell: Showed some good signs late in the year which should give him confidence moving into 2014. I think Macca will show faith in the big fella and ask him to be the big man in the goal square. Another one who can kick 30+ goals.

LostDoggy
11-12-2013, 12:16 AM
3. Mitch Wallis

A first-round draft pick who was always expected to have a long career with the Western Bulldogs, Mitch Wallis is ready to "do a Libba" and stamp himself on the competition. After coming 3rd place in the 2012 Rising Star Award, Mitch was in and out of the side for the first half of 2013 before coming back in with a more defensive midfield role. Not only did he completely smother several midfield stars, most notably Patrick Dangerfield, he continued to win plenty of the ball himself and use it to great effect. Coming back from the break in super condition, I predict Mitch will play every game in 2014 (barring injury) and finish very high up in the B&F.

Agree 100%. I did a graphic on it — he gave up 30 years of age and 600 games’ experience during that purple patch and still smashed it.

Remi Moses
11-12-2013, 12:53 AM
Stringer ( X factor ) apparently this is his first pre-season of his football career.
Grant ( boom or bust next season, if it's boom should be fun)
Hrovat( didn't see the best of the kid, due to injury)
Campbell ( reckon he's about to explode, just got a hunch)

Mofra
11-12-2013, 11:45 AM
Jackson Macrae - has exactly what we need, a sidestep to deliver the ball in traffic

JJ - Will get through the year and be recognised as a genuine fast rebounder that opposition teams need to plan for

Grant - will show enough consistency to be firmly entrenched in the best 22

Dazza
11-12-2013, 01:03 PM
I actually think most of the list will improve.

Going with some left field types...

Ayce Cordy - Boom or bust year. Should shoulder the ruck duties at VFL level. Wil have a consistent message at both AFL and VFL level which will help.

Roberts - like Cordy will have a consistent position at VFL level which should fast track his development.

Prudden - Injury free this kid will play at AFL level next year.

always right
11-12-2013, 02:45 PM
Liam Jones & Jarrad Grant: I think Jones and Grant are going to be the greatest beneficiaries from Crameri joining the club. No excuses for either of them. They have both had multiple pre-seasons and they are getting topline coaching. I can see both of them having break-out years.

Tom Campbell: Was hugely impressed by his improvement over the course of the season. Another pre-season and I expect him to be bigger and stronger for 2014. He could be a huge handful for ooposition defenders and will provide enormous support for Big Will who can't be expected to carry the ruck load as much as he did last year.

Michael Talia: This bloke is on a massive upwards curve. The only thing missing is the strength to compete with some of the bigger opposition forwards. Like the others named above, a big pre-season will help him go to the next level. He already has the pace, smarts and anticipation to make him a valuable defender. Love his ability to go with his opponent on the lead and his willingness to run off his player.

Murphy'sLore
11-12-2013, 02:50 PM
Liam Jones & Jarryd Grant: I think Jones and Grant are going to be the greatest beneficiaries from Crameri joining the club. No excuses for either of them. They have both had multiple pre-seasons and they are getting topline coaching. I can see both of them having break-out years.

Tom Campbell: Was hugely impressed by his improvement over the course of the season. Another pre-season and I expect him to be bigger and stronger for 2014. He could be a huge handful for ooposition defenders and will provide enormous support for Big Will who can't be expected to carry the ruck load as much as he did last year.

Daniel Talia: This bloke is on a massive upwards curve. The only thing missing is the strength to compete with some of the bigger opposition forwards. Like the others named above, a big pre-season will help him go to the next level. He already has the pace, smarts and anticipation to make him a valuable defender. Love his ability to go with his opponent on the lead and his willingness to run off his player.

Yes, but what about Michael??

Greystache
11-12-2013, 02:58 PM

Or JARRAD??

Twodogs
11-12-2013, 03:27 PM
[B]Daniel Talia: This bloke is on a massive upwards curve. The only thing missing is the strength to compete with some of the bigger opposition forwards. Like the others named above, a big pre-season will help him go to the next level. He already has the pace, smarts and anticipation to make him a valuable defender. Love his ability to go with his opponent on the lead and his willingness to run off his player.

I didn't think of Talia but if I had of he would have been right n the mix. I think his stocks will soar over the coming season.

I wouldn't mind some stock shared out over the entire Talia brand. It could go through the roof next year.

always right
11-12-2013, 03:46 PM

I'm not sure what you're talking about.:confused:

Greystache
11-12-2013, 04:01 PM
I'm not sure what you're talking about.:confused:

This thread is about Bulldog players, Daniel Talia plays for Adelaide, and I'm not sure who Jarryd Grant is.