PDA

View Full Version : Can Wil Minson improve his game next year?

Twodogs
11-12-2013, 12:10 AM
Wil had a stellar season this year. That was on the back of a significant improvement the year before.

What aspects of his game should Wil work on over the preseason this summer? His marking around the ground maybe.

The Bulldogs Bite
11-12-2013, 01:42 AM
His marking is the main area in need of improvement. If he took more of these, he'd be one of the best big guys in the competition (including KFs etc).

You can't have everything though. If he can replicate his 2012 then I'll be more than happy, he's an elite ruckman and provides real leadership and grunt out on the park.

LostDoggy
11-12-2013, 07:15 AM
In 2012 Big Will had the most hitouts by any player in a year since Gary Dempsey in 1982 from memory. He's probably not likely to replicate that marathon effort - nice if he did but it was Herculean. No more brainfades although he had far less moments in 2012 than in previous years and maybe some marking. He's really becoming a very complete player. Underrated by many because his form has gone up so much so quickly since taking on the number 1 ruck load. Think opposition supporters still rate him on his earlier years form. If opposition coaches did as well it would be handy :)

SonofScray
11-12-2013, 09:33 AM
More goals in the mix would be a nice cherry on top of his incredible form in across the past two seasons. e started to jag a goal here or there in general play, snapping the footy out of the ruck contests and congested areas.

If he can either bring those goals to every game, or start to take those grabs I50 and finish well then we have a a bloke on our squad who has realised his full potential.

always right
11-12-2013, 10:18 AM
I'll be happy if we see a replica of last season. Sure it would be nice if he took more grabs, kicked more goals but lets be realistic.....it aint gonna happen.

LostDoggy
11-12-2013, 11:07 AM
Free Agent this year....

Mofra
11-12-2013, 11:43 AM
I think he'll tweak it.

If Campbell plays more games, Will may spend 5-10% gametime forward to help nurse him through the season (rotation cap) which also helps ease Campbell into more of the AFL ruck role.

His stats may be down but he could end up doing the right thing for the team.

Bulldog Joe
11-12-2013, 12:29 PM
My impression was that Will got more of the ball himself late in the season.

I was actually think that by the Hawthorn game he was looking done, but he finished the season well and this was possibly helped by Campbell's inclusion.

I think Will does lack the marking power, but if he continues to bring the ball to ground and links with his midfield he will continue to be a valuable part of the team.

Maddog37
11-12-2013, 03:56 PM
My wife would suggest that one way to improve would be to have his shirt ripped off on a more regular basis.

I would just like to see more marks from the big fella.

bornadog
11-12-2013, 04:16 PM
I think Will just continue his great form into next season and hopefully cement his spot as the AFL number one ruck just like 2013 All Australian Selection.

w3design
11-12-2013, 04:30 PM
Historically there are not many players who can maintain that kind of level of dominance over a sustained period, particularly if they are on-ballers. Those that do are known as all time champions of the game.

With Will I think it could be possible, injury or lack of it should I say, permitting.

But I am going to rattle my can again and say, I would love to see him cover less ground during the match. IE, I think Campbell, Jones or Ayce, whoever is playing in the front half, should do the ruck duties inside the F50, so Will does not need to run to cover the full field. If he waits outside the F arc when the ball goes in, staying a kick behind the play, he not only gets a few moments breather, he is a potential barrier against the easy rebound if we lose possession.
We now have enough midfielders who could run in and even up the numbers in Will's absence in there.

I often think that Will runs himself to the brink of exhaustion before taking a rest, and wonder if this is why he takes fewer marks around the ground than you would like to see him clunk. Also this could be why his opponent sometimes loses him during the game, as the first things to go as you tire is often concentration and sharp awareness.

I hope that in 2014 we can see the second ruck take 20+% of the on ball duties, to let Will spend a little more time resting around the goal square. This might well help in keeping him at the top of his game for a year or two longer, as well as making our F50 an even less predictable, and even more intimidating place for the opposition defenders.

Ghost Dog
11-12-2013, 04:31 PM
Why not? Sure he can improve. One game better than 2013 is an improvement.

LostDoggy
11-12-2013, 11:25 PM
Just happy for him to replicate this year!
All Australian ain't to bad in my books.

jeemak
12-12-2013, 01:51 AM
I think Will is a limited footballer who does a few things incredibly well. And I don't think that's going to change a great deal.

In 2008 he kicked around 30 goals spending a significant amount of time forward, but he did that when our side was one of the fastest and best forward moving sides in the league. We aren't that side today, and we're not likely to be anything like it for a few years so with that in mind, I don't think expecting solid output forward from Will is reasonable.

What I think we can do though, is move the ball forward more cleanly and more efficiently without having to rely on contested situations as much as we have in these last couple of years between half forward and half back. This should allow Will to get an opportunity to position himself for the next kick out, while Cordy/Campbell/Jones/Williams take the odd ruck contest in our forward half.

Whilst being the dominant ruck for 2013, I still don't think Will did enough from a marking perspective around the ground. A major reason for that was our reliance on stoppage dominance, of which he was a massive cog. If our team develops as it should, our reliance on multiple stoppages and Will should diminish, and this should free him up to take more marks around the ground in important positions.

Ghost Dog
12-12-2013, 02:35 AM
I'd rather he was a master of his trade, than a jack of all and master of none. All players have short comings. I think he's improved his marking significantly. He kicked some really opportunistic goals in the square this season. I'm really happy for Will. The Mitchell Johnson of AFL? ^_^

1eyedog
17-12-2013, 03:01 PM
I would like to see Will work back into defence more and assist chopping out our young key backs, but you can't have everything - he's a gem.

Bulldog Joe
17-12-2013, 03:08 PM
But I am going to rattle my can again and say, I would love to see him cover less ground during the match. IE, I think Campbell, Jones or Ayce, whoever is playing in the front half, should do the ruck duties inside the F50, so Will does not need to run to cover the full field. If he waits outside the F arc when the ball goes in, staying a kick behind the play, he not only gets a few moments breather, he is a potential barrier against the easy rebound if we lose possession.
We now have enough midfielders who could run in and even up the numbers in Will's absence in there.

I often think that Will runs himself to the brink of exhaustion before taking a rest, and wonder if this is why he takes fewer marks around the ground than you would like to see him clunk. Also this could be why his opponent sometimes loses him during the game, as the first things to go as you tire is often concentration and sharp awareness.

Having been thinking about this and (prompted by 1Eye Dog's post) the idea of him getting back to help the defenders and I really believe that we need Will to push forward for as many F50 stoppages as possible.

This is a real strength for Will and he creates multiple scoring opportunities EVERY WEEK, including snagging a few himself.

We would be much better served allowing Campbell/Cordy/whoever to be the one to position for the rebound and work to Will's strength.

Twodogs
17-12-2013, 08:06 PM
Campbell has to come out of the square. The kid has a sixth sense for where the ball is going to land and gets there after leading all the defenders in the other direction. It is a thing of beauty.

Maddog37
17-12-2013, 08:47 PM
Campbell has to come out of the square. The kid has a sixth sense for where the ball is going to land and gets there after leading all the defenders in the other direction. It is a thing of beauty.

Sorry Twodogs but you will have to expand on that. I can't quite get my head around what you are saying....?

Twodogs
17-12-2013, 09:17 PM
Sorry Twodogs but you will have to expand on that. I can't quite get my head around what you are saying....?

Sorry about that. I had an attack of the Dermies-I said a lot but none of it made any sense. :o

I meant to say his anticipation is his big strength. He just keeps running to the right spots to take uncontested marks in the forward line.

jeemak
18-12-2013, 12:51 AM
Having been thinking about this and (prompted by 1Eye Dog's post) the idea of him getting back to help the defenders and I really believe that we need Will to push forward for as many F50 stoppages as possible.

This is a real strength for Will and he creates multiple scoring opportunities EVERY WEEK, including snagging a few himself.

We would be much better served allowing Campbell/Cordy/whoever to be the one to position for the rebound and work to Will's strength.

Appreciate what you're saying, though how does it work on game day? If we need Campbell/Cordy to start in the goal square, how do they then position themselves as the kick out if a stoppage is created 20-30m from our offensive goal?

If we can move the ball forward from the middle of the ground, then Will positioning himself a kick behind is easy. Having him push forward, and players starting out of the goal square pushing 100m up the ground seems to create a lot of running for the big men in each case.

Bulldog Joe
18-12-2013, 07:48 AM
Appreciate what you're saying, though how does it work on game day? If we need Campbell/Cordy to start in the goal square, how do they then position themselves as the kick out if a stoppage is created 20-30m from our offensive goal?

If we can move the ball forward from the middle of the ground, then Will positioning himself a kick behind is easy. Having him push forward, and players starting out of the goal square pushing 100m up the ground seems to create a lot of running for the big men in each case.

Not sure that it is necessary for anybody to drop back on most occasions as modern footy seems to be about numbers at the contest.

My post was in response to the suggestion of Will setting up for the rebound.

I do get your point on the extra work for the big guys, but everybody does a fair bit of running anyway. It really does depend on where players are at when a stoppage occurs. It could be that a half forward drops back such as Grant/Jones/Crameri if anyone needs to.

Just think it is important not to forsake one of the strengths of Will's game.

Pickenitup
19-12-2013, 09:22 PM
Great News That Big Will Has extended his contract with us until 2016 Great Loyalty From Will.

Twodogs
19-12-2013, 10:17 PM
That's fantastic news. As far as I am concerned he's just improved his game right there.

Someone said that he became a free agent at the end of the year-is that right?

divvydan
19-12-2013, 11:38 PM
Article on Minson re-signing http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2013-12-19/minson-resigns

bornadog
20-12-2013, 01:04 AM
A bulldog for life I hope.

whythelongface
20-12-2013, 09:12 AM
That is absolutely fantastic news that he has signed on until the end of 2016. This further indicates the positive vibe around the club at the moment. Big Will will play an integral role in the continued development of our team over the ensuing years.

KT31
20-12-2013, 09:31 AM
Excellent.

GVGjr
20-12-2013, 10:18 PM
I admire the no fuss way Will committed to us. He has been with us a long time and I'm sure he wants to be a one club player.

I hope our members appreciate him

jeemak
20-12-2013, 10:48 PM
I admire the no fuss way Will committed to us. He has been with us a long time and I'm sure he wants to be a one club player.

It is excellent news, and it's a credit to he and the club for stitching up the deal (as you say) without any fuss.

I think the members that haven't appreciated him to this point, surely will.

Bulldog4life
23-12-2013, 12:11 PM

I have always appreciated Will. I remember when he couldn't crack it for a game cause Huddo was in the team he still dominated week after week playing for Willy. It is great to see him become such an important player for the Club.