PDA

View Full Version : Who should be next Captain

LostDoggy
15-12-2013, 11:29 AM
I know Griff has only just taken this on but who should be groomed to be the next Captain.
I think either Roughead or Wallis.
What are your ideas.

always right
15-12-2013, 01:05 PM
A lot can happen in two or three years. Wallis seems to be a popular choice but hopefully we see others come forward. Although a little quiet, perhaps Libba could grow into this role. Of the really young blokes, Hovat strikes me as someone who could become a leader.

LostDoggy
15-12-2013, 06:08 PM
Thanks AR for your input

Greystache
15-12-2013, 08:06 PM
Personally I think Clay Smith will take over from Griffen.

azabob
15-12-2013, 08:11 PM
Personally I think Clay Smith will take over from Griffen.

Mainly a hunch and the way he goes about it on-field?

Greystache
15-12-2013, 08:15 PM
Mainly a hunch and the way he goes about it on-field?

No, off field as well, I think he's a leader of men type. He needs a little polish, but he's quite bright and speaks pretty well

w3design
16-12-2013, 10:54 AM
Nothing personal towards Smith, as much i love him, he really should go to the dentist to get his teeth done, a set of strong perfect teeth/jaw goes long way, is quite important for an athlete actually, it reflects a lot of things from a person's perspective health, state of mind, mental strength, life style, habits etc. could benefit the career especially someone aspiring to be a leader of the club, if not fixed properly, really not good for the long term especially injury-wise.

1eyedog
16-12-2013, 11:31 AM
No, off field as well, I think he's a leader of men type. He needs a little polish, but he's quite bright and speaks pretty well

Can see Hrovat take over from Griffen for the reasons you mention. He's a little man but I just think he's gonna be a Boomer Harvey on the footy field and he presents well.

bulldogtragic
16-12-2013, 11:57 AM
I think it's too hard to tell. For ever Gia was next in line and then Boyd came up, despite Gia being good enough to get hired as an assistant while still playing.

For me, it's not about just a captain, but a group like BMac had the pleasure of having at Geelong. So a strong vocal leader as captain, and then a solid group of leaders like Roughy, Hrovat, Maccare, Minson, Wallis, Libba, Smith, Crameri, Bonts. This group needs senior guys around it too like Gia, Boyd, Bob and Morris. (Apologies if I've forgot someone)

With Griff the current leader, were as strong a leadership group as I can remember. The aim is to maintain it for as long as possible and a captain will emerge.

As for the direct question asked, with what I've said in mind, I hope it's someone from our leadership group who will improve with the captaincy.

LostDoggy
16-12-2013, 11:58 AM
Nothing personal towards Smith, as much i love him, he really should go to the dentist to get his teeth done, a set of strong perfect teeth/jaw goes long way, is quite important for an athlete actually, it reflects a lot of things from a person's perspective health, state of mind, mental strength, life style, habits etc. could benefit the career especially someone aspiring to be a leader of the club, if not fixed properly, really not good for the long term especially injury-wise.

To be fair, he's from Bairnsdale, and he's done well just to be able to read and write.

Ghost Dog
16-12-2013, 12:05 PM
To be fair, he's from Bairnsdale, and he's done well just to be able to read and write.

To be fair. Hardly. So just because someone's from Bairnsdale, just puts them in a category does it? bit of profiling there.

I really like the way Jackson McRae speaks. He's a pretty intelligent kid.

Maddog37
16-12-2013, 12:36 PM

Made me chuckle.

Mitch Wallis is an absolute standout for mine. Amazing with the fans, already starred in a membership campaign and has pedigree as a captain.

Looking at it more broadly though, Geelong had a plethora of leaders in their team and the same should be our aim.

westdog54
16-12-2013, 12:39 PM
To be fair. Hardly. So just because someone's from Bairnsdale, just puts them in a category does it? bit of profiling there.

You really took that seriously? Come on, a bit of country humour never hurt anyone.

LostDoggy
16-12-2013, 01:01 PM

Could be worse. Could be from Moe.

bornadog
16-12-2013, 04:04 PM

I agree and he mentions being in the leadership group in his recent interview. This shows some ambition as well.

Ghost Dog
16-12-2013, 04:24 PM
You really took that seriously? Come on, a bit of country humour never hurt anyone.

*raises hand * guilty as charged. mental note to self - lighten up

Dry Rot
16-12-2013, 05:36 PM
Can see Hrovat take over from Griffen

Hrovat is the man - proven captaincy.

bulldogtragic
16-12-2013, 05:37 PM
Hrovat is the man - proven captaincy.
Was virtually BOG in every match he captained at the knights too. Obviously the tag works for him.

LostDoggy
16-12-2013, 06:01 PM
Macca's "good bloke" recruiting policy is gonna make choosing the next skipper a difficult task. Wallis or Roughead would be my early favourites, but Libba, Hrovat and Macrae will also be leaders. Higgins has always been touted as a potential captain but that ship may have sailed: his priority must be his body. Matty Boyd has also mentioned Easton Wood as being a potential future skipper. I certainly thought he showed a lot of leadership in an undermanned back six during 2011.

AndrewP6
16-12-2013, 11:20 PM

Surely you're extracting the urine? A bloke's teeth are an indicator of his "state of mind', 'mental strength', 'lifestyle, habits'????

Or you simply a concerned orthodontist?:confused:

The Underdog
17-12-2013, 12:11 AM
Surely you're extracting the urine? A bloke's teeth are an indicator of his "state of mind', 'mental strength', 'lifestyle, habits'????

Or you simply a concerned orthodontist?:confused:

I'd be using Phrenology to pick all of our recruits, as well as a captain.

w3design
17-12-2013, 01:51 AM
i know there will be someone picking on this. redicule or not i am puting out an opinion anyway. although taking account the dental record come picking a race horse could be a different story, a set of bad teeth definitely indicates the wellbeing in part of his body isn't going alright ie low density of the bones. call me superstitious or not, ACL injury could be one of many in years to come i am afraid. can't be too careful these days. seeing a dentist such a bad suggestion really?

boydogs
17-12-2013, 02:51 AM
i know there will be someone picking on this. redicule or not i am puting out an opinion anyway. although taking account the dental record come picking a race horse could be a different story, a set of bad teeth definitely indicates the wellbeing in part of his body isn't going alright ie low density of the bones. call me superstitious or not, ACL injury could be one of many in years to come i am afraid. can't be too careful these days. seeing a dentist such a bad suggestion really?

Lol :eek:

LostDoggy
17-12-2013, 09:49 AM

Understand where you're coming from, but being in an environment of daily fitness & dietary intake measurement and instruction, he'll be fine.

Libba Snr had a set of porcelain like the Himalayas.

jeemak
18-12-2013, 01:44 AM
Understand where you're coming from, but being in an environment of daily fitness & dietary intake measurement and instruction, he'll be fine.

Libba Snr had a set of porcelain like the Himalayas.

Libba Snr, the only player to recover from an ACL injury before he acquired it.

always right
18-12-2013, 09:33 AM

Perhaps we should all kick in to buy him a set of Da Vinci Porcelains.

Twodogs
18-12-2013, 11:35 AM
Having watched a fair bit of the boys at training and having seen them in the rooms before a game, personally I'd have Roughead as our next captain. When he speaks the others stop and listen.

w3design
27-05-2014, 05:31 PM
is Clay Smith cursed? hope him not a Williams Mark II, could definitely be a gun, sadly his body might not up to it.

azabob
27-05-2014, 05:42 PM
is Clay Smith cursed? hope him not a Williams Mark II, could definitely be a gun, sadly his body might not up to it.

Geez zucvv you really should have quoted your post about your prediction. Having said that are you able to lift the cursed, if in fact there is one?

w3design
27-05-2014, 08:44 PM
i hope i can azabob, i just bump this one up to get more attentions. :o

w3design
22-07-2014, 01:18 PM
Sorry to hear bad new breaks Smith again, a terrific player, playing like a giant, sadly the body let him down, probably has low bone density i guess.

I'll make another prediction here, Hrovat will have a very long career ( will be great if with us ), boy has a massive jaw Boomer Harvey-like.

Greystache
22-07-2014, 01:50 PM
Sorry to hear bad new breaks Smith again, a terrific player, playing like a giant, sadly the body let him down, probably has low bone density i guess.

Bone density? He ruptured a ligament.

That's like saying a car broke down because the windscreen wiper fluid was empty!

bulldogtragic
22-07-2014, 10:22 PM

That's like saying a car broke down because the windscreen wiper fluid was empty!

Or got herpes from the toilet seat...

azabob
23-07-2014, 12:56 PM

Reality is Stache, strangely enough last year zucvv hoped that Smith would not get anymore injuries...

Mumbo jumbo - perhaps, but perhaps not....

wimberga
23-07-2014, 01:49 PM
Hrovat or Roughead for mine.

Both well respected by their peers, in the media (Hrovat gaining) and by supporters.

LostDoggy
23-07-2014, 06:27 PM
Or got herpes from the toilet seat...

Or getting pregnant from an Angel...

Dancin' Douggy
23-07-2014, 09:53 PM
Or getting pregnant from an Angel...

Superb. At least we might get a father/son...............and holy spirit. Does the draft allow for that?

SonofScray
23-07-2014, 11:42 PM
Roughie would be a hot favourite at this stage, I would have thought. Speaks well, loves the Club, treats the fans and what the Club means to us with respect, plays hurt, is consistent, very tall.

F'scary
25-07-2014, 01:55 AM
As noted by others, Hrovat's resume includes high level junior captaincy honours. He must have good leadership skills to get noticed and promoted into that role given that he is just a pint sized rover. He could be the one. He is starting to earn his keep every week and is not being played just to get games into him.

jeemak
25-07-2014, 02:20 AM
Mitch Wallis for mine.

He's playing as a defensive mid right now, but once he gets stronger and fitter I think we're going to have a player similar to Boyd with better hand skills and better foot skills.

It will take one or two seasons. Just wait and see.

Remi Moses
25-07-2014, 03:12 AM
Been a slower burn for Mitch, but he will be very good.
I think we've got a few captains in the making

wimberga
09-10-2014, 06:56 PM
Time to revisit this I think. man what a day.

Who do we think can take charge of this young brigade and help show the way?

Roughead?

The Bulldogs Bite
09-10-2014, 06:58 PM
I'd give it to Murphy and re-assess in 12 months time when maybe Roughy, Wallis, Hrovat or somebody else is ready.

anfo27
09-10-2014, 07:00 PM
I think we'll be picking up Jesus Christ in the trade so i reckon he would be a good leader.

Jeanette54
09-10-2014, 07:05 PM
I'd give it to Murphy and re-assess in 12 months time when maybe Roughy, Wallis, Hrovat or somebody else is ready.

I would agree with the time frame but would ask Mathhew Boyd to step up to the plate again.

The King is dead, long live the King.

Axe Man
09-10-2014, 07:08 PM
Kim Jong-Un is a good leader, a supreme leader in fact. Seems to be on the way out in North Korea, I wonder what it would take to get a trade done?

dog town
09-10-2014, 07:10 PM
A crucial appointment. With so many impressionable young guys and experience running out the door this is our most crucial appointment. We need to rebuild our culture and give it some meaning to these young players, we need to do that quickly. You don't pick the best player, you pick the best leader. A guy who has the groups respect, a guy that can bring the group together and unite them towards a purpose. Make it unthinkable to leave for money or a better placed team. At the moment you could forgive our young players for thinking it is acceptable behavior. The 3 most admired cultures in the league started with Richie Vandenberg, Tom Harley and Stuey Maxfield as their captains. I don't care if the guy is a fringe player. You pick the best leader regardless of profile. Age and maturity are things you naturally take into account when judging a leader too.

As for who that man is it is hard to tell from outside. Wallis looks to have all the qualities to me but you really wouldn't know from where we stand. We don't have a huge amount of options. Most of our kids are too young, Wallis and Libba are almost ready in terms of age I guess. Murphy could do it but it would be a stop gap.

KT31
09-10-2014, 07:23 PM
As posted elsewhere, I like Murph as an option whether Griff in with us or not.

LostDoggy
09-10-2014, 07:26 PM
As posted elsewhere, I like Murph as an option whether Griff in with us or not.

Is Murph one of the unhappy senior players?
I like Dale Morris as a captain.

GVGjr
09-10-2014, 07:54 PM
Morris or Murphy with Roughead as the vice captain.

lemmon
09-10-2014, 07:55 PM
Morris or Murphy with Roughead as the vice captain.

Yep, there is no one in the right age range. Give it to one of the older guys for a few seasons while an heir apparent matures.

bulldogtragic
09-10-2014, 07:56 PM
I have a Zaine'y idea for captain, he was in the falcon's leadership group this year. Not saying who that is though... :)

Ghost Dog
09-10-2014, 09:14 PM
Dale Morris. Done.

LostDoggy
09-10-2014, 09:26 PM
I have a Zaine'y idea for captain, he was in the falcon's leadership group this year. Not saying who that is though... :)

Idiot! :D

I reckon give it to Jake Lever. He's spent the year practicing his leadership qualities.

bulldogtragic
09-10-2014, 09:35 PM
Idiot! :D

I reckon give it to Jake Lever. He's spent the year practicing his leadership qualities.

Someone had to break from the serious stuff. If it's Lever, he's busy next year getting the orientation as leader of the Tommy Williams school for kids who cant' stay fit long and wanna play good. (aka rehab group leader) Not sure he'd have time for both roles.

hujsh
09-10-2014, 09:39 PM
Kim Jong-Un is a good leader, a supreme leader in fact. Seems to be on the way out in North Korea, I wonder what it would take to get a trade done?

Would be worth it for the 24,895,480 jumpers we'd sell.

SquirrelGrip
09-10-2014, 09:39 PM
Dale Morris. Done.

Agreed - Dale should have got the job instead of Boyd at the time. Finally gets his chance.

Doc26
09-10-2014, 09:43 PM
I'd give it to any of our remaining senior players who holds the respect of the kids and of the coaching group. I'm hoping this might be Dale.

azabob
09-10-2014, 10:05 PM

Hmmm, I nominate Zaine Cordy

Anyone second the nomination?..... BT cough cough.... Twodogs cough cough...

Dancin' Douggy
09-10-2014, 11:52 PM
ROBERT MURPHY.
Give him the captaincy so he can steer the ship for at least this year.

bulldogtragic
10-10-2014, 12:02 AM
Hmmm, I nominate Zaine Cordy

Anyone second the nomination?..... BT cough cough.... Twodogs cough cough...

Hadn't thought of that. Great idea. Seconded. :)

F'scary
10-10-2014, 12:04 AM
On the subject of Murphy, I can't wait to read his next article.

Topdog
10-10-2014, 12:43 AM
I don't see Murphy as a leader, same with Morris really. We are short on options

GVGjr
10-10-2014, 07:03 AM
I don't see Murphy as a leader, same with Morris really. We are short on options

He can step up for a season. He has the ability to do it and would be a great front man during this time.

whythelongface
10-10-2014, 07:09 AM
He can step up for a season. He has the ability to do it and would be a great front man during this time.

I agree. Think we need an interim at the moment and think he would be the most likely. Don't want to place this expectation on any of the younger brigade at the moment.

As for the younger brigade it is hard to know who would be the leaders among them but was thinking along the lines of Wallis; Libba or even Stevens. I have no idea why these 3 but just a gut feel.f

ReLoad
10-10-2014, 07:25 AM
I think it's time for a dynasty. Time for a new long term leader, someone who can make a real mark with it, run with it and be a 10 year multiple premiership winning captain.

I think it's Libba for mine, or alternatively Jeremy Cameron.

LostDoggy
10-10-2014, 07:32 AM
I think Libba is the best option, has shown a lot of maturity since his slip up and seems to have the right personality to be a good general

w3design
10-10-2014, 07:50 AM
I wouldn't give it to one of our 'kids' (Libba, Wallis, Hrovat etc) It would be a fair bit of pressure for a young player to be captain and may mess with their game (i.e Jack Trengrove)
I would like to see the captaincy given to an older player (Morris, Murphy) for a couple of years, to give the younger players time to really set themselves up as players, before given the captaincy.
I can see Roughy being captain soon. Love the way he speaks with the media, and gives direction out on the ground.

whythelongface
10-10-2014, 07:57 AM
I wouldn't give it to one of our 'kids' (Libba, Wallis, Hrovat etc) It would be a fair bit of pressure for a young player to be captain and may mess with their game (i.e Jack Trengrove)
I would like to see the captaincy given to an older player (Morris, Murphy) for a couple of years, to give the younger players time to really set themselves up as players, before given the captaincy.
I can see Roughy being captain soon. Love the way he speaks with the media, and gives direction out on the ground.

Oh yes I forgot about Roughy. Think he would be a prime candidate.

Go_Dogs
10-10-2014, 09:01 AM
I'd probably give it to Rough, a bloke who seems respected by all and has played through injury. Off field he also exhibits the right qualities from an outsiders perspective.

chef
10-10-2014, 09:04 AM
We need to find a true leader this time, not just give it to the best player on our list.

LostDoggy
10-10-2014, 09:38 AM
We need to find a true leader this time, not just give it to the best player on our lust.

And more importantly give it to someone who actually wants it.

whythelongface
10-10-2014, 09:41 AM
And more importantly give it to someone who actually wants it.

I will never understand why Griff took it on if he didn't want it. Sure he may not have known at the time but it is something that once you have you need to lead from the front.

His lack of passion for the role is clearly evident as to how we performed in the last quarter of the season. It would have shown through in this body language and that would have rubbed off on the team. If the Captain isn't passionate then the rest of the team will struggle.

Maddog37
10-10-2014, 10:01 AM
“Some are born leaders, some achieve leadership, and some have leadership thrust upon them. Which of these are you, or would you rather not bother?”

This quote resonates for me now more than ever. From Peter Gordon and Macca through to the boot studder and even us the fans. Now is the time to mentally recommit and use this pain as the stimulus to greater deeds. Mistakes have been made, learn from them. Opportunities will arise, grab them with both hands. Never ever show the bastards from other clubs your hurt and always stand by each other. That is the path to greatness. It is never easy and it is never without vast challenges and indeed many failures. It is indeed a great day to be alive and have the chance to fight once more.

Go dogs.

LostDoggy
10-10-2014, 10:15 AM
Yep - I believe Roughy is the right candidate to lead the club.

LostDoggy
10-10-2014, 01:42 PM
Roughead!
The two the club turned to last night in the coaching crisis were Moz and Roughead. Do it!

EasternWest
10-10-2014, 01:56 PM
I like Murphy to Roughead.

I'd really like to think that Stringer will captain one day. I think he's a gun and has the confidence to put on a good media front.

bornadog
10-10-2014, 01:58 PM
Roughead!
The two the club turned to last night in the coaching crisis were Moz and Roughead. Do it!
Yep Roughead

Ozza
10-10-2014, 02:42 PM
I don't think Rough is quite established enough as a player yet.

I think Morris is clearly the right candidate to unify the group and help navigate through a tough period.

Sedat
10-10-2014, 02:54 PM
I think Morris is clearly the right candidate to unify the group and help navigate through a tough period.
I find him as too much like Griffen, more of a "do as I do" type of leader. Bob fits the bill perfectly on and off the field (and we really need some off-field leadership and spunk) - he could do it for the next 2 years no problem while we wait for the next generation to be ready.

Agree on Roughead. He needs to work on his own game and where he will end up playing the bulk of his career at the club - too much is still up in the air for him at this stage.

Maddog37
10-10-2014, 03:10 PM
Morris is very, very vocal on field.

Sedat
10-10-2014, 03:15 PM
Morris is very, very vocal on field.
Fair enough, not sure if he's comfortable with the off-field stuff which comes very naturally to Bob. Also he was one of Aker's only close mates at the club so I question his judgement :D

Bulldog4life
10-10-2014, 05:35 PM
I find him as too much like Griffen, more of a "do as I do" type of leader. Bob fits the bill perfectly on and off the field (and we really need some off-field leadership and spunk) - he could do it for the next 2 years no problem while we wait for the next generation to be ready.

Agree on Roughead. He needs to work on his own game and where he will end up playing the bulk of his career at the club - too much is still up in the air for him at this stage.

Good point Sedat. Murph is our spiritual leader as well and has openly said many times how much he loves the Club.

The Pie Man
10-10-2014, 06:10 PM
Fair enough, not sure if he's comfortable with the off-field stuff which comes very naturally to Bob. Also he was one of Aker's only close mates at the club so I question his judgement :D

Only cos Aker wouldn't leave him alone :)

Rance Fan
10-10-2014, 08:08 PM
Minson

Educated, tall and strong, and a leader. Plays in the midfield...it starts with him!

???

1eyedog
10-10-2014, 08:12 PM
Minson

Educated, tall and strong, and a leader. Plays in the midfield...it starts with him!

???

I'd like to trade him personally.

BulldogBelle
10-10-2014, 08:15 PM
Minson

???

NO
l think he has caused a fair few problems around the club.

TRADE

KT31
10-10-2014, 11:27 PM
NO
l think he has caused a fair few problems around the club.

TRADE
This keeps coming up, can we stop the innuendo and have someone let on what he has allegedly done ?

Rocco Jones
10-10-2014, 11:40 PM
I would go with Bobby and Morris as co-captains. Two guys who bleed red, white and blue leading us through on of our darkest hours. I think they compliment each other. They are both entering the final years of their career and would not have foreseen this added responsibility and I believe sharing the load will help there too.

bornadog
11-10-2014, 12:03 AM
This keeps coming up, can we stop the innuendo and have someone let on what he has allegedly done ?

I would like to know as well?? Because all I have read is he wants to stay with us and work harder next year.

Remi Moses
11-10-2014, 12:08 AM
I would like to know as well?? Because all I have read is he wants to stay with us and work harder next year.

You've throwing out innuendos for a few days now that suit your argument, so it's a bit rich now believing everything you read.
Player empowerment, for better or worse was at play here, and make no mistake about it .

bornadog
11-10-2014, 12:09 AM
You've throwing out innuendos for a few days now that suit your argument, so it's a bit rich now believing everything you read.
Player empowerment, for better or worse was at play here, and make no mistake about it .

I don't understand what you are saying. What do you know about Minson come on tell us.

soupman
11-10-2014, 12:23 AM
I would go with Bobby and Morris as co-captains. Two guys who bleed red, white and blue leading us through on of our darkest hours. I think they compliment each other. They are both entering the final years of their career and would not have foreseen this added responsibility and I believe sharing the load will help there too.

This is my proposal too. Murphy as the more public captain, with Morris being a big presence behind the scenes.

Roughead projects as a good candidate, but he is still finding his feet and could very well be busy enough developing in a new position this next season.

Remi Moses
11-10-2014, 01:04 AM
I don't understand what you are saying. What do you know about Minson come on tell us.

You like commenting on what's reported in the press. That's okay, but it was initially reported that Will got a scathing exit interview.
The senior group had communication issues, which Minson is a part off.

Greystache
11-10-2014, 03:49 AM

He was a key driver in getting Griffen to front Peter Gordan. He should go. He's a highly limited player and we have a better player waiting to go.

FrediKanoute
11-10-2014, 04:27 AM
When I was in the early stages of my career I attended a weekend workshop session for staff members in the organisation approaching junior management level. It was residential on the NSW Central Coast. At this workshop we did a whole host of things, but I recall one particular talk about ethics and honesty etc and it goes something like this.

There was a firm of professionals in WA and something went wrong with a client/number of clients. Being a relatively small practice the number of staff was small, so a number of junior staff 10 in all had all worked on the client at various points in time. When the incident was investigated all of the staff denied responsibility. Obvious to the more senior staff one or some of the junior staff were not being truthful. The firm took the view that more than one person must have know who was responsible, but because they collectively denied knowing then they were all responsible and dismissed all of them. They didn't do it at once, but essentially worked all of them out of the firm before they had a chance to get to a senior enough level. Their rationale was that the collective dishonesty of the group was something that couldn't be tolerated if the firm's reputation was to be maintained.

Applying this principle to the Bulldogs, you would have no choice but to remove from the group all of those who you know supported/pressured/blackmailed Griffin and the club, because put simply they are not the kind of people you want in your organisation. They represent a cancer. A cancer that needs to be cut out if the rest of the organisation is to grow and prosper. They are not bad people, but they are not right for the football club and will not take it forward.

bornadog
11-10-2014, 11:22 AM

I don't believe anything, I am just stating what I read, and I doubt anyone on this forum knows exactly what is going on.

BTW what innuendos do you speak of?

Drunken Bum
11-10-2014, 01:24 PM

The story i heard and take it with a grain of salt as it came from big footy but it was from a fairly reliable poster and was backed up by a couple of others, but apparently Minson said something pretty low to one of the younger players, they refused to say who or what it was, Koby Stevens was apparently pretty pissed about it as had seen similar things happen at West Coast, stood up to Will and sat him on his arse, this was about 6 weeks before the end of season

As i say it's just what i heard, i posted it on another thread a col days ago with the names left out as didn't want to spread unfounded rumours but seeing as everyone is asking, that's what i've heard

FrediKanoute
12-10-2014, 04:08 AM
Liam Picken for Captain anyone - not a star, but an effective player who leads by example. Slightly left field I admit.

bornadog
12-10-2014, 02:18 PM
Liam Picken for Captain anyone - not a star, but an effective player who leads by example. Slightly left field I admit.

Another quiet type.

mighty_west
12-10-2014, 02:46 PM
The story i heard and take it with a grain of salt as it came from big footy but it was from a fairly reliable poster and was backed up by a couple of others, but apparently Minson said something pretty low to one of the younger players, they refused to say who or what it was, Koby Stevens was apparently pretty pissed about it as had seen similar things happen at West Coast, stood up to Will and sat him on his arse, this was about 6 weeks before the end of season

As i say it's just what i heard, i posted it on another thread a col days ago with the names left out as didn't want to spread unfounded rumours but seeing as everyone is asking, that's what i've heard

ive heard this too, IF true what a flog....and IF true Koby, bloody legend!!!!

F'scary
12-10-2014, 03:11 PM
Red Bob for mine. About time he moved into management and finished with all this youthful communism.

Bumper Bulldogs
12-10-2014, 10:40 PM
ok I think we need to hedge our bets and go with a 3 man squad. I think no matter what we do over the next 3 months the acid it just going to be too much for any one person down at the kennel.

I would go with Murphy, Stringer & Wallis. I think this would give us the best of all worlds. Murphy to do the front and centre media stuff with Stringer, Stringer to lead the marketing and player stuff. Wallis and stringer to lead the player group behind the scenes.

I just like a captain that will eyeball someone and demand more from them. I really think that Murphy, Minson and Stringer are the only 3 that could fit this right now. In two years the landscape may change and it could be Stringer, Rough & Wallis.

bulldogtragic
29-08-2015, 10:57 PM
Many have spoken about the quality leadership of our pups.

Wally, Bonts, Boyd, Roughy, Hrovat, Dahl, Stringer and others.

A few random thoughts. Could the St Kilda rotation of captains work? Or could the Sydney multiple captains thing work?

LostDoggy
29-08-2015, 11:05 PM
Call me old fashioned, I like A captain and a leadership group around him.

LostDoggy
30-08-2015, 07:54 PM
Wally for me boys,has it all.

Dancin' Douggy
01-09-2015, 03:18 PM
Yep. I think Wallace has emerged naturally as the next captain.

Remi Moses
01-09-2015, 03:20 PM
Terry Wallace?
I think Mitch is one quite a few options

Twodogs
01-09-2015, 03:26 PM
Many have spoken about the quality leadership of our pups.

Wally, Bonts, Boyd, Roughy, Hrovat, Dahl, Stringer and others.

A few random thoughts. Could the St Kilda rotation of captains work? Or could the Sydney multiple captains thing work?

No. You have a captain and he is The Man. Nothing useful ever gets done by committee.

westdog54
01-09-2015, 04:16 PM
No. You have a captain and he is The Man. Nothing useful ever gets done by committee.

Yep, agree.

There's an old saying - A Camel is a Horse designed by Committee.

bulldogtragic
01-09-2015, 04:26 PM
How about rotation? Not to put MJP in it, but I know he was a supporter of the St Kilda/Grant Thomas rotating of candidates.

chef
01-09-2015, 05:02 PM
Got to be Wally for mine.

LostDoggy
01-09-2015, 05:13 PM
The guy who shouldn't be discounted is Roughy.

There is clearly a lot of reciprocal love between him and the team in general. The vibe I get is that he is a major leader in the sheds.

How about a succession plan of Bob to Roughy to Mitch to Bont over the next 6-8 years or so.

always right
01-09-2015, 05:13 PM
Imagine if we had a rotation of captains this year. Perhaps Murph is one out of the box but I like having the one captain...just a matter of picking the right one.

All of a sudden we are spoilt for choice. Wallis is currently the standout but there are others who could be as good albeit in different ways;
Bonts....young but mature. Leads from the front.
Libba....quiet but according to Bevo "a spiritual leader around the club"
Roughy....impressive talker and committed
Stringer....inspirational and an outspoken supporter of our club. During the offseason saga he was the one who got on the front foot in the media and defended our club. Seriously impressive and I'll always admire him for it. This from a bloke who was 20 years old at the time.

bulldogtragic
01-09-2015, 05:21 PM
Imagine if we had a rotation of captains this year. Perhaps Murph is one out of the box but I like having the one captain...just a matter of picking the right one.

All of a sudden we are spoilt for choice. Wallis is currently the standout but there are others who could be as good albeit in different ways;
Bonts....young but mature. Leads from the front.
Libba....quiet but according to Bevo "a spiritual leader around the club"
Roughy....impressive talker and committed
Stringer....inspirational and an outspoken supporter of our club. During the offseason saga he was the one who got on the front foot in the media and defended our club. Seriously impressive and I'll always admire him for it. This from a bloke who was 20 years old at the time.

Hrovat is also a very good young leader is he can secure a spot.
Boyd is as well spoken as anyone in the AFL at his age already. A big gun CHF/FF in finals as captain would be good too.
Zaine was in the Falcons leadership group and was highly, highly spoken about as a leader amongst young men.

I guess this why I'm curious to hear with the model of rotation would/could/should work.

Go_Dogs
01-09-2015, 08:01 PM
Will be interesting to see who makes the leadership group next year.

Could Wood and Stevens be in the mix?