PDA

View Full Version : 2014 East Meets West Family Day

Eastdog
22-12-2013, 04:25 PM
Don't quite have all the details yet but I received an email from the East West Club about when it will be on.

Here is what it said:

Pre-season games schedule has impacted on Training plans for the team and
EMW.

It will be held on February 1st at Wesley College, but starting time etc
hasn't been finalised.

I suspect it will follow the same formula as last year, with the players
conducting training drills for the young ones and
Then mingling for a meet and greet.

Probably late morning start. BBQ will be available, drinks, coffee and
icecream etc.

Watch the website after New Year when the Club resumes from Christmas break.

Or our Facebook page East-West Club Inc

We will post details as soon as confirmed to us.

Eastdog
24-12-2013, 01:23 AM
How about we organise an East Meets West WOOF catch up. What do you guys think.

angelopetraglia
02-01-2014, 10:53 AM
I have been to the last few and they are always great mornings. I will be definitely taking the family along again.

Eastdog
04-01-2014, 12:10 AM
I have been to the last few and they are always great mornings. I will be definitely taking the family along again.

Agree it is a good morning. This hopefully will be my 3rd in a row this year. You certainly have good interaction with the players and even have a bit of chat with them. Be good to hear from Peter Gordon if he comes down.

bornadog
21-01-2014, 06:09 PM
From East West Club

Calling all Bulldogs fans in the South and East of Melbourne! The annual East Meets West event is on Saturday, February 1 at Wesley College in Glen Waverley.

The event will offer all fans, particularly the juniors, a great opportunity to get up close to Western Bulldogs players* during a series of footy clinics.
Players will also be on-hand to sign autographs and pose for photos before getting on stage to discuss the season ahead.

With season 2014 just around the corner, drop in to see our membership marquee or get kitted out in the latest range of KooGa merchandise to show your support at every Bulldogs match.
The East-West Club will launch their new season with a BBQ and will also operate within the membership tent to process all East West Club memberships.

Entry will be a gold coin donation and there is plenty of parking available.
Details of the event are as follows:

When: Saturday, February 1
Time: 2pm – 4pm (Junior clinics commence at 2:15pm)
Where: Wesley College, Glen Waverley
Address: 620 High Street Road, Glen Waverley
Mel Ref: 62 A12

Go Dogs!
David Cameron
Western Bulldogs Supporter Group Coordinator
*a selection of senior and junior Western Bulldogs players. Subject to change at short notice.

AndrewP6
21-01-2014, 06:53 PM
From East West Club
*a selection of senior and junior Western Bulldogs players. Subject to change at short notice.

"Junior" Western Bulldogs players?

soupman
21-01-2014, 08:07 PM
Last year when we asked some of the players where the rest were they said that they rotate it now, so I'd expect all the first year players to be there but not last years recruits for starters

Eastdog
21-01-2014, 09:01 PM
From East West Club

Calling all Bulldogs fans in the South and East of Melbourne! The annual East Meets West event is on Saturday, February 1 at Wesley College in Glen Waverley.

The event will offer all fans, particularly the juniors, a great opportunity to get up close to Western Bulldogs players* during a series of footy clinics.
Players will also be on-hand to sign autographs and pose for photos before getting on stage to discuss the season ahead.

With season 2014 just around the corner, drop in to see our membership marquee or get kitted out in the latest range of KooGa merchandise to show your support at every Bulldogs match.
The East-West Club will launch their new season with a BBQ and will also operate within the membership tent to process all East West Club memberships.

Entry will be a gold coin donation and there is plenty of parking available.
Details of the event are as follows:

When: Saturday, February 1
Time: 2pm – 4pm (Junior clinics commence at 2:15pm)
Where: Wesley College, Glen Waverley
Address: 620 High Street Road, Glen Waverley
Mel Ref: 62 A12

Go Dogs!
David Cameron
Western Bulldogs Supporter Group Coordinator

Should be there depending if something comes up. Like the fact it's in the afternoon. May catch up with a few of you woofers.

Eastdog
22-01-2014, 10:36 PM
Im hoping it's not a hot day.

jazzadogs
23-01-2014, 07:20 PM
Disappointing to not do a full group training session as they did 2-3 years ago when I last attended. Understand it's difficult to organise a date on a weekend to get the whole team there, especially with the Family Day coming up, but one of my favourite things about it was getting to watch training.

The Underdog
24-01-2014, 09:03 AM
Disappointing to not do a full group training session as they did 2-3 years ago when I last attended. Understand it's difficult to organise a date on a weekend to get the whole team there, especially with the Family Day coming up, but one of my favourite things about it was getting to watch training.

To be honest, it was always such a token session that I'm not that fussed. I missed last year but will likely take the kids along this year. Hopefully will help my indoctrination program along.

Eastdog
25-01-2014, 09:13 PM
Im hoping it's not a hot day.

Checked the weather for next Saturday in Melbourne and unfortunately it's looking like its going to be a hot one for the East West Day with a forecast top of 38 degrees.

The Underdog
25-01-2014, 11:13 PM
Checked the weather for next Saturday in Melbourne and unfortunately it's looking like its going to be a hot one for the East West Day with a forecast top of 38 degrees.

And the chances of me going just dove considerably...

Eastdog
26-01-2014, 12:35 PM
And the chances of me going just dove considerably...

Me too The Underdog. The East West Club may decide to change the date because of the hot weather conditions forecast for this coming Saturday.

Eastdog
30-01-2014, 02:04 PM
Emailed the East West Club regarding possible reschudeling

Here is what they said:

It would be great, but unfortunately the Bulldogs Footy Dept controls the
Schedule and is committed to this day and time this year.

Too late now to change.

Over the years, we have experienced the full range of weather conditions
Just pot luck !

Gwen

Eastdog
31-01-2014, 12:48 PM
35 degrees forecast tomorrow and sunny. I think I will go after the temperature has decreased a bit. Ill just wear my Bulldogs cap and protect my self with sunscreen. Hope to see a few woofers.

Bulldog4life
31-01-2014, 02:13 PM
35 degrees forecast tomorrow and sunny. I think I will go after the temperature has decreased a bit. Ill just wear my Bulldogs cap and protect my self with sunscreen. Hope to see a few woofers.

Nothing else?:eek:

always right
31-01-2014, 02:37 PM

Just curious....at what stage between 2.00pm and 4.00pm do you expect the temperature to drop?

Eastdog
31-01-2014, 03:12 PM
Just curious....at what stage between 2.00pm and 4.00pm do you expect the temperature to drop?

Sorry AR I was meaning because the temperature had been revised down to 35 degrees because it was more closer to 40 originally forecast for the day.

always right
31-01-2014, 04:03 PM
Sorry AR I was meaning because the temperature had been revised down to 35 degrees because it was more closer to 40 originally forecast for the day.

No need to apologise ED....I just didn't understand the point you were making.:)

GVGjr
01-02-2014, 11:40 AM
It's going to be a hot day but it's a great chance to see the players and listen to the coach

Go_Dogs
01-02-2014, 03:08 PM
Unfortunately I can't make it today but look forward to hearing how those who attended got on.

always right
01-02-2014, 05:24 PM
Always enjoy this day but this was perhaps the least enjoyable so far.

As with last year only about half the squad were in attendance.....I think it's a rotation. They conducted a pretty rudimentary clinic with kids....mostly kick to kick. The players were as usual very approachable for a chat, autograph and photo but it was a little impractical with the footys flying around. The players then moved to the side of the basketball court (out of the sun) whilst the bulldogs communications guy interviewed Peter Gordon, Steven King, Will Minson and Marcus Bontempelli. Once this was finished almost all of the players immediately departed.

All in all a little underwhelming. My observations and suggestions for next year;
1. Have it in the morning rather than the afternoon so weather is not a factor. It was bloody hot out there today.
2. Make sure there is time set aside either before or after the interviews for photos, autographs etc.
3. Bring out all the new players and introduce them like they have in previous years. Macca (who wasn't in attendance) and Eade before him have always introduced the new players and spoken a bit about them. Maybe they will do this at the main family day but it was really disappointing they didn't do this today.

This year simply felt like they didn't make the same effort as other years. Hopefully it was just an anomaly.

LostDoggy
01-02-2014, 05:33 PM
Always enjoy this day but this was perhaps the least enjoyable so far.

As with last year only about half the squad were in attendance.....I think it's a rotation. They conducted a pretty rudimentary clinic with kids....mostly kick to kick. The players were as usual very approachable for a chat, autograph and photo but it was a little impractical with the footys flying around. The players then moved to the side of the basketball court (out of the sun) whilst the bulldogs communications guy interviewed Peter Gordon, Steven King, Will Minson and Marcus Bontempelli. Once this was finished almost all of the players immediately departed.

All in all a little underwhelming. My observations and suggestions for next year;
1. Have it in the morning rather than the afternoon so weather is not a factor. It was bloody hot out there today.
2. Make sure there is time set aside either before or after the interviews for photos, autographs etc.
3. Bring out all the new players and introduce them like they have in previous years. Macca (who wasn't in attendance) and Eade before him have always introduced the new players and spoken a bit about them. Maybe they will do this at the main family day but it was really disappointing they didn't do this today.

This year simply felt like they didn't make the same effort as other years. Hopefully it was just an anomaly.

I agree it was very dissapointing, my girls raised that there was no time to get photos or autographs.
Was vey hot which I think explains the smaller turn out.
Not sure why Macca wasn't there, hope he s not on a rotation aswell as players.
Would be good if they could go back to doing some training again on the day rather than clinic and make sure all new recruits are interviewed like they used to.
All in all disappointing.

bulldogtragic
01-02-2014, 06:10 PM
Shame to hear this. But thanks for honestly sharing.

Eastdog
01-02-2014, 06:14 PM
Was an ok afternoon but a bit lacklustre to be honest. It was hot although there was a slight cool breeze. I was at the back under the trees in the shade for most of it. Just too hot to go out onto the field. Good to hear Peter, Steven, Will and Marcus all speak. Also agree with Wannaknowmore that they should of introduced all new recruits.

AndrewP6
01-02-2014, 06:19 PM
Was planning on going, but discovered a pressure sore on my foot, requiring a visit to the doctor's :( Disapointing to read comments of those attending. I kind of got the feeling last year this sort of thing might be the trend for the E-W day. If they're not going to send all or most players and all or most of the coaches, it's not worth having - I'm simply amazed the coach didn't attend. Especially disappointing when their PR at these sorts of events in recent years has been one of the strengths. I actually think 2pm is a better time, today's heat was something out of their control. In other years, the start time has been a bit 'relaxed', so to speak - I have heard people remarking things like "We've come all this way and they don't start on time?"

Not good, Bulldogs.

Eastdog
01-02-2014, 06:22 PM
What are some suggestions we can put forward to improve the East West Day for next year and beyond.

always right
01-02-2014, 06:23 PM
Was planning on going, but discovered a pressure sore on my foot, requiring a visit to the doctor's :( Disapointing to read comments of those attending. I kind of got the feeling last year this sort of thing might be the trend for the E-W day. If they're not going to send all or most players and all or most of the coaches, it's not worth having - I'm simply amazed the coach didn't attend. Especially disappointing when their PR at these sorts of events in recent years has been one of the strengths. I actually think 2pm is a better time, today's heat was something out of their control. In other years, the start time has been a bit 'relaxed', so to speak - I have heard people remarking things like "We've come all this way and they don't start on time?"

Not good, Bulldogs.

At least with the morning weather can have less of an impact. The other advantage of mornings is the players still get their Saturday afternoon to do what they like. I got the impression today that they couldn't get away quick enough which is understandable when they've given up most of their Saturday afternoon.

AndrewP6
01-02-2014, 06:28 PM
What are some suggestions we can put forward to improve the East West Day for next year and beyond.

Send as many of the players and coaches as possible, forget this nonsensical 'roster'.
Senior coach to introduce the entire list, focus on newbies.
Start on time - afternoon might be the best bet.
Offer all players and coaches for autographs/photos etc - don't just send them off when the speeches are done.

AndrewP6
01-02-2014, 06:32 PM
At least with the morning weather can have less of an impact. The other advantage of mornings is the players still get their Saturday afternoon to do what they like. I got the impression today that they couldn't get away quick enough which is understandable when they've given up most of their Saturday afternoon.

If it's hot, yes, but it's not like they're having a full contact training run. I think their haste to get away is really disappointing. Yes, they lose their Saturday arvo, but they have a pretty good job, all in all. They make a good impression, people are going to remember it, and will be more likely to go to games. Win-win for club and supporter/s.

Doc26
01-02-2014, 06:43 PM
Although I agree that today was not as well coordinated this year than previous, the four of us still really enjoyed ourselves. Especially good chats with our president, Peter, down to one of our newest in Mitch Honeychurch, who seems a really good young lad. It so happens that we, along with Alex Greenwood, went to the same secondary college and lived in neighbouring streets along with having similar teachers so it was good to make the connection.

The players in attendance were giving of their time, through their participation in the kids clinics and in their willingness for a general chat. Some of the players I came across in my travels today were Boydy, Gia, Will, Crammers, Big Tom, Jackson Macrae, Tommy Young, Nathan Hrovat, Easton, Redpath, Mitch Honeychurch, Alex Greenwood, Lin Jong. I suspect that there were others.

I would like to pay special tribute to Marcus Bontempelli with the way he handled himself with the kids and the clinic he ended up running by himself. He was thoroughly engaging and obliging with the young ones, who were having an absolute blast taking 'speccies' into and at times over him as he held onto some padding quite feebly to soften the impact. I was joking that it would be one of the rarer ways for a player to go down in a preseason and a harder one to live down. For his first out experience at such an event Marcus shined through.

I do agree that it would have been a good thing to have introduced, as they have previously, the players to the audience and it was a shame that Macca was not there on this occasion. I'm sure there is a good reason as he typically is a good supporter of such outings.

It was damn hot out there today so happy to afford the organisers some slack. What to me is more disappointing is the lack of Western Bulldog Easterners prepared to put in a couple of hours to show our commitment to the players and Club. Why should we expect the players to 'totally' buy into it with what seemed fewer than a couple of hundred supporters in attendance.

For mine, still a great couple of hours spent and thanks again to the East West Club for putting it on.

always right
01-02-2014, 06:47 PM
Certainly no criticism of the players while running the clinic. Agree that all were very approachable with the standouts some of the young blokes like Bonts, Hrovat, Greenwood and Big Tom.

always right
01-02-2014, 06:49 PM
If it's hot, yes, but it's not like they're having a full contact training run. I think their haste to get away is really disappointing. Yes, they lose their Saturday arvo, but they have a pretty good job, all in all. They make a good impression, people are going to remember it, and will be more likely to go to games. Win-win for club and supporter/s.

I'm talking about the heat impacting on the attendance which appeared to be down this year.

AndrewP6
01-02-2014, 06:50 PM
I'm talking about the heat impacting on the attendance which appeared to be down this year.

Ah yes, fair enough.

The Underdog
01-02-2014, 08:13 PM

I've got 3 kids 6yo & under. The heat was a pretty big factor in us not going. Might be lame but having been previously, there ain't much shade and tough to stick the kids in the sun for that long. Morning would definitely be preferable from that perspective.

w3design
01-02-2014, 09:46 PM
Sorry but I don't think it is just down to the heat. Except perhaps for the really young kids sakes, I found last year really disappointing. I had travelled to Melb. for years to attend this event.
If they want to keep the numbers up, and get the most out of this day for Club and membership promotion, I believe they need to return to it being a day with something for ALL supporters, not just a short kindergarten visit by a few players.

In the past this day served as a season opener for lots of supporters, and a chance to get to see and know something about the squad as it would be for the upcoming season. No more sadly.
Heat and afternoon time aside, I had already decided in advance, on the basis of the 2013 version, and the indication that this year would be more of the same, not to bother making the long trek to Melbourne for this day. From descriptions it certainly sounds like I was not alone in taking this position.

If the club wishes to optimise this event's potential to be a regular and ongoing chance to promote the club, I believe they need to seriously rethink their commitment to this event, otherwise within a very short time it is likely to go the way of the dodo.

Eastdog
01-02-2014, 10:06 PM
Sorry but I don't think it is just down to the heat. Except perhaps for the really young kids sakes, I found last year really disappointing. I had travelled to Melb. for years to attend this event.
If they want to keep the numbers up, and get the most out of this day for Club and membership promotion, I believe they need to return to it being a day with something for ALL supporters, not just a short kindergarten visit by a few players.

In the past this day served as a season opener for lots of supporters, and a chance to get to see and know something about the squad as it would be for the upcoming season. No more sadly.
Heat and afternoon time aside, I had already decided in advance, on the basis of the 2013 version, and the indication that this year would be more of the same, not to bother making the long trek to Melbourne for this day. From descriptions it certainly sounds like I was not alone in taking this position.

If the club wishes to optimise this event's potential to be a regular and ongoing chance to promote the club, I believe they need to seriously rethink their commitment to this event, otherwise within a very short time it is likely to go the way of the dodo.

Good post paulv. Maybe you could email the East West Club with your suggestion or if anyone else has any ideas to improve the day in future.

Here is the email: east-west@westernbulldogs.com.au

always right
01-02-2014, 10:45 PM

I thought last year was great.....apart from the decision to run the kids clinic. The young kids may love it but I much prefer the old East West morning where the players went through a light training session. Watching the players move, see whose body shape had changed in the off season, marvelling at their skills.......it's a great time of year where you see the players at their best, we haven't lost a game, and we can all enjoy a morning where we all believe that this season is going to be so much better than the last.

Not sure why they stopped the training session.....would love to see it come back.

bornadog
02-02-2014, 01:10 AM
I thought last year was great.....apart from the decision to run the kids clinic. The young kids may love it but I much prefer the old East West morning where the players went through a light training session. Watching the players move, see whose body shape had changed in the off season, marvelling at their skills.......it's a great time of year where you see the players at their best, we haven't lost a game, and we can all enjoy a morning where we all believe that this season is going to be so much better than the last.

Not sure why they stopped the training session.....would love to see it come back.

Interesting the website said there was an open training session on this morning at WO. Strange they couldn't have combined it like you said AR. Also I think the Event should be held closer to round 1.

LostDoggy
03-02-2014, 11:42 PM

Could not agree more Paulv.
I say now I will consider not going next year but come this time again next year I am sure I will turn up again as I cannot help myself.

Cyberdoggie
05-02-2014, 12:19 AM
Although I agree that today was not as well coordinated this year than previous, the four of us still really enjoyed ourselves. Especially good chats with our president, Peter, down to one of our newest in Mitch Honeychurch, who seems a really good young lad. It so happens that we, along with Alex Greenwood, went to the same secondary college and lived in neighbouring streets along with having similar teachers so it was good to make the connection.

The players in attendance were giving of their time, through their participation in the kids clinics and in their willingness for a general chat. Some of the players I came across in my travels today were Boydy, Gia, Will, Crammers, Big Tom, Jackson Macrae, Tommy Young, Nathan Hrovat, Easton, Redpath, Mitch Honeychurch, Alex Greenwood, Lin Jong. I suspect that there were others.

I would like to pay special tribute to Marcus Bontempelli with the way he handled himself with the kids and the clinic he ended up running by himself. He was thoroughly engaging and obliging with the young ones, who were having an absolute blast taking 'speccies' into and at times over him as he held onto some padding quite feebly to soften the impact. I was joking that it would be one of the rarer ways for a player to go down in a preseason and a harder one to live down. For his first out experience at such an event Marcus shined through.

I do agree that it would have been a good thing to have introduced, as they have previously, the players to the audience and it was a shame that Macca was not there on this occasion. I'm sure there is a good reason as he typically is a good supporter of such outings.

It was damn hot out there today so happy to afford the organisers some slack. What to me is more disappointing is the lack of Western Bulldog Easterners prepared to put in a couple of hours to show our commitment to the players and Club. Why should we expect the players to 'totally' buy into it with what seemed fewer than a couple of hundred supporters in attendance.

For mine, still a great couple of hours spent and thanks again to the East West Club for putting it on.

First year i haven't been there and that was because my wife was in hospital giving birth but i thought last year wasn't really of any interest to me without the boys doing any training. I'm not really interested in the kids clinics yet and really getting to know the players. I want to see them run around and see with my own eyes who's looking fit and which of the new kids looks a talent.

Without that it's just the same old routine which i already know too well.

bornadog
05-02-2014, 10:44 AM
First year i haven't been there and that was because my wife was in hospital giving birth but i thought last year wasn't really of any interest to me without the boys doing any training. I'm not really interested in the kids clinics yet and really getting to know the players. I want to see them run around and see with my own eyes who's looking fit and which of the new kids looks a talent.

Congratulations on the new born, another member coming up.:)

Doc26
05-02-2014, 03:29 PM

Congrats also on the birth.

Firstly, I don't disagree with the sentiment coming through.

The East West Club with limited resources, and who volunteer their time, should first be applauded for their endeavor to make this a memorable day for the kids and their parents without the full support of the Club behind them. I'm certain it's no easy feat to pull together. Maybe I'm easily pleased but I'm grateful for anything Bulldogs out East given the dearth of representation over the years out here.

What I would like to see is for the Club to look into the potential of broadening the reach of this event to become a key membership enabler for those in particular that reside out in the Eastern part of Victoria, whether with children or without, and by extension take the planning and execution of the event over from the East West Club.

Isn't Hawthorn big and ugly enough now to give them yet another head start each year in their marketing stronghold in the East of Melbourne ?

BornInDroopSt'54
05-02-2014, 05:17 PM

Congratulations Cyberdog, I hope that your wife is recovering well and that we have another cyberdog on the way.

Eastdog
05-02-2014, 05:36 PM

Congrats also on the birth.

Firstly, I don't disagree with the sentiment coming through.

The East West Club with limited resources, and who volunteer their time, should first be applauded for their endeavor to make this a memorable day for the kids and their parents without the full support of the Club behind them. I'm certain it's no easy feat to pull together. Maybe I'm easily pleased but I'm grateful for anything Bulldogs out East given the dearth of representation over the years out here.

What I would like to see is for the Club to look into the potential of broadening the reach of this event to become a key membership enabler for those in particular that reside out in the Eastern part of Victoria, whether with children or without, and by extension take the planning and execution of the event over from the East West Club.

Isn't Hawthorn big and ugly enough now to give them yet another head start each year in their marketing stronghold in the East of Melbourne ?

Congrats on the newborn Cyberdoggie.

Great post Doc26.

always right
05-02-2014, 06:25 PM
I should say that I am not being critical of the East West group.....I appreciate the effort they go to. I'm just not sure the club is giving them the appropriate support for this even and it is the club afterall who decides what their players will do on the day.