PDA

View Full Version : Three Things I've Learned in 2013

GVGjr
26-12-2013, 07:53 AM
I thought it might be interesting to hear from the WOOF members the 3 things they learned about the club this year or 3 things they are grateful to the club for?

1) The increased spend on the football department
I think it's fair to without an increased spend within the football department a lot of the members wouldn't be looking forward to the 2014 season with as much hope and positivity. Our own VFL side and the additional coaches will no doubt give players the best chance to become the best players they can. Lets not forgot the positive impact our list manager has made. We have spent a lot more but most importantly we have also spent wisely.

2) The Stuart Crameri deal
I wasn't a huge fan of acquiring Crameri but he has impressed since he has arrived and now I'm right on board. I admire the methodical way that we identified Crameri as our trade target early in the year and the strong willed way that we stuck to the original deal we offered during the trade period when all and sundry were saying we needed to cough up more. Huge positives about the direction we are taking

3) The clubs website
For years I regarded our clubs website as an after thought but I now find that when I log on that our members are privy to some terrific insights. Getting access to the activities and information about the club is something we have never had access to before.
I'm very grateful for the club making our website a legitimate source of information.

I'm sure there are other things our members are encouraged by so I'd enjoy reading your thoughts.

ledge
26-12-2013, 03:28 PM
1 maccas mantra seems to be going along nicely after the improvement at the end of the year.
2 the players are buying into it and re signing early proving they want to be here.
3 the quiet and professional way we are going about things.

Maddog37
26-12-2013, 04:41 PM
Peter Gordon is a very impressive man.

Cooney can be a great player again.

Griff is a leader of men.

Ghost Dog
26-12-2013, 04:48 PM
1. Effort over achievement. I think this is the basis of Brendan's teaching. Really grateful for it.
2. Grateful for Gia staying on another year. I reckon he will have a lot more impact than many think on field.
3. Grateful for Adam Cooney's surgeon. Many fans had written him off.

westdog54
27-12-2013, 09:49 AM
Three Things I've learned:

1. We are starting to become a club of choice for players and coaches. We are seen as an attractive football club and I believe this is largely due to the people we have in key posts in the Football Department.
2. The club is learning the lessons of the past. Our off field operations seem to be at a level never before seen. Management, Communications, Football Department, all seem to be doing a lot right at the moment.
3. Next season will be a roller coaster worth jumping on. The ups and downs will be there but the thrill ride will be worth it.

LostDoggy
03-01-2014, 12:00 PM
1. Jake Stringer is going to be everything I'd hoped he'd be when we drafted him. The swagger, the attitude, I'm excited.
2. The club is finally breaking free of the cocoon. The new VFL team, the increased spend, signing McCartney, even the chant at half time of the Melbourne game, these are all highlights we'll watch the night before a grand final in years to come, when the footy heads discuss how we turned it around. The ship turns slow, but it's turning.
3. Peter Gordon is my hero. Always has been, will continue to be so.

boydogs
03-01-2014, 12:21 PM
these are all highlights we'll watch the night before a grand final in years to come, when the footy heads discuss how we turned it around.

The 2012 draft would surely feature, we cashed in our compensation picks & Lake and had 5 in the top 50, still early days but it looks like we really nailed them. Plus Goodes, Stevens, Young & Lower.

ratsmac
04-01-2014, 02:58 AM
1. Effort over achievement. I think this is the basis of Brendan's teaching. Really grateful for it.
2. Grateful for Gia staying on another year. I reckon he will have a lot more impact than many think on field.
3. Grateful for Adam Cooney's surgeon. Many fans had written him off.

I totally agree. I was keen for Gia retire mid way through last season and I am happy to say I was wrong. I watched the Stkilda replay a few days ago and it was clear that when Gia the super sub came on, our forward line started to function and looked dangerous. His experience is important for our young forwards.

1. Macca is very measured and astute coach with a direction that he is confident that will us a very good team. And I believe.
2. Griffen is captain material. Played like a captain should when he was acting captain.
3. Jarrod Grant can be a very important piece of our forward line puzzle. He showed some real talent with tricks and selfless football. I look forward to seeing his career blossom this year.

Remi Moses
04-01-2014, 03:32 AM
1. The 2012 draft will be looked on as a massive success for our club( going early)
2. The perception of our team from our members and the outside has done a 360.
3. The confidence and direction in B McCartney from the club pleases this poster.

bulldogtragic
05-01-2014, 03:29 PM
1. Jarrad Grant playing to his potential can pay back the pick used on him such is the flexibility and X factor he has.

2. Jones and Roughy lifting to their potential will strengthen our spine massively.

3. The journey of ups and downs isn't attractive apparently to our dropping off members, but experiencing the lows, doubts, upsets makes the success so much sweeter.

Ghost Dog
06-01-2014, 11:34 AM
I totally agree. I was keen for Gia retire mid way through last season and I am happy to say I was wrong. I watched the Stkilda replay a few days ago and it was clear that when Gia the super sub came on, our forward line started to function and looked dangerous. His experience is important for our young forwards.

1. Macca is very measured and astute coach with a direction that he is confident that will us a very good team. And I believe.
2. Griffen is captain material. Played like a captain should when he was acting captain.
3. Jarrod Grant can be a very important piece of our forward line puzzle. He showed some real talent with tricks and selfless football. I look forward to seeing his career blossom this year.

Good point. With Marcus and Jarrod in our forward line, that poses some difficult match ups for opposition coaches. That combination of speed and height times two is something I'm really excited about.

boydogs
06-01-2014, 03:33 PM
Good point. With Marcus and Jarrod in our forward line, that poses some difficult match ups for opposition coaches. That combination of speed and height times two is something I'm really excited about.

Marcus doesn't strike me as quick.

BornInDroopSt'54
06-01-2014, 04:29 PM
Marcus doesn't strike me as quick.

Quick for his height I would have thought.

GVGjr
06-01-2014, 07:12 PM

Not really. Perhaps when he adds some strength.

BornInDroopSt'54
06-01-2014, 11:34 PM

Well quick ball movement or at least efficient ball movement then.
What good is speed of leg if it doesn't help in scoring?

LostDoggy
07-01-2014, 10:54 PM
1. My early investment in getting the number 27 on my back was well worth it.
2. I never been so excited and confident about the next five years of football. If this build doesn't allude to anything major i'm going to be extremely devastated.
3. The second half of the year was worth enduring the first half.

BornInDroopSt'54
08-01-2014, 09:23 AM

"Top draft pick Marcus Bontempelli also provided the small contingent of Bulldogs fans looking on with something to talk about, impressively leading home his group in the time trial with one of the morning’s better performances."
Great news!!!

Mofra
08-01-2014, 12:27 PM
Bottom 10% or so for acceleration at draft camp, but slightly above average for top line speed.

GVGjr
08-01-2014, 03:20 PM
"Top draft pick Marcus Bontempelli also provided the small contingent of Bulldogs fans looking on with something to talk about, impressively leading home his group in the time trial with one of the morning’s better performances."
Great news!!!

My answer was about his pace off the mark. His endurance is quite good.

Ghost Dog
08-01-2014, 03:58 PM
Bottom 10% or so for acceleration at draft camp, but slightly above average for top line speed.

Relative to height, I would say he's not doing too badly.

Greystache
08-01-2014, 04:08 PM

He tested slower than most ruckmen, relative height has nothing to do with it.

Bontempelli 20m sprint- 3.20 seconds

Liam Jones 20m sprint- 2.80 seconds

Jones after 20m would be nearly 3 metres in front, which equates to about a mile in a game sense. Bontempelli has some good qualities, but pace is a long way from being one of them.

BornInDroopSt'54
08-01-2014, 04:46 PM

Yes It looks like, if he's going to be a midfielder and helping out up forward, that there is potential to work on his speed off the mark so that it's not a liability. I don't expect his lack of speed off the mark to be what stands out most about him. If the club was worried about this why would they have drafted him as a mid?
I'm yet to be convinced about this big mid thing, I just accept that it is seen to have value but not by me yet. I get that being big may be more difficult to tackle and retard, and that height gives a midfielder better marking ability but short legs in tight have a smaller turning circle and better acceleration. It doesn't take size to carry the ball.

Mofra
08-01-2014, 04:51 PM
Yes It looks like, if he's going to be a midfielder and helping out up forward, that there is potential to work on his speed off the mark so that it's not a liability. I don't expect his lack of speed off the mark to be what stands out most about him. If the club was worried about this why would they have drafted him as a mid?
Speed off the mark is one of the most important aspects of being a forward - without separation, every attempt is a contested marking scenmario and they are fairly rare in the modern game.

One of the aspects of his game that was talked up pre draft was his ability by hand and his ability to always have his hands free while being tackled so he can cleanly dispose of the ball. That description screams "inside mid", and with B-Mac publically stating that big mids win finals, his ultimate development goal seems fairly well set - good hands, can take a tackle, good endurance, not initially quick

BornInDroopSt'54
09-01-2014, 11:23 AM
Speed off the mark is one of the most important aspects of being a forward - without separation, every attempt is a contested marking scenmario and they are fairly rare in the modern game.

One of the aspects of his game that was talked up pre draft was his ability by hand and his ability to always have his hands free while being tackled so he can cleanly dispose of the ball. That description screams "inside mid", and with B-Mac publically stating that big mids win finals, his ultimate development goal seems fairly well set - good hands, can take a tackle, good endurance, not initially quick

Interesting, so in a way big inside mid means good hands, height is for hands.
Go Octopelli.

Ghost Dog
09-01-2014, 11:49 AM

Jones after 20m would be nearly 3 metres in front, which equates to about a mile in a game sense. Bontempelli has some good qualities, but pace is a long way from being one of them.

How does he compare with Jones in other types of running stats?

LostDoggy
09-01-2014, 02:37 PM
Bontempelli seems an impressive kid, we shall see what his strengths really are as he develops within an AFL environment.

3 Things:
1. The Macca agenda is visible and on track. I like it, it screams long term rather than quick fix. This seems like a different club somehow with a convergence of youth unscarred by history.
2. Our midfield and forward prospects are coming together but our future defence concerns me.
3. 2014 should be enjoyable from a further development perspective with low expectations and no pressure for finals. 2015 should be exciting but the pressure will begin. I learnt this in the last 7 rounds...

Interesting season coming up with a lot of teams hard to nail down form-wise.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-01-2014, 02:59 PM

It'll be interesting to see Marcus move at the top level in game situations. If the rest of his game is excellent and he has good anticipation, then we're unlikely to really notice his lack of pace.

At this stage I am not worried about Bontempelli's lack of pace off the mark, assuming he plays as a mid. I haven't seen enough of him, but he appears to read the game similar to Pendlebury/Macrae which means he's usually a step ahead of his opponents.

bulldogtragic
09-01-2014, 08:44 PM
It'll be interesting to see Marcus move at the top level in game situations. If the rest of his game is excellent and he has good anticipation, then we're unlikely to really notice his lack of pace.

At this stage I am not worried about Bontempelli's lack of pace off the mark, assuming he plays as a mid. I haven't seen enough of him, but he appears to read the game similar to Pendlebury/Macrae which means he's usually a step ahead of his opponents.
That's why I was an advocate of Kelly being 1st after Boyd and then Bonts. Kelly was in the 'considered slow' camp two years back as an underage draft combiner. His sprint work last year saw a rapid improvement and I'm sure a focus in an elite environment will see an improvement for Marcus. From my point of view running to the right areas, reading the play better and elite disposal potential at the next level can cover this initially while opposition teams focus on other players. And that he can do that better for longer than most in his draft, and in his grouping at training shows why we picked him up. The reverse of looking at older players in the AFL who would have slowed to around what Marcus is doing now shows that 20m sprints aren't the be all and end all. Footballer first.

boydogs
09-01-2014, 10:08 PM
2. Our midfield and forward prospects are coming together but our future defence concerns me.

Anyone in particular? Roughead, Talia & Young impressed me in 2013, and we added Fuller & Darley in the off-season

GVGjr
09-01-2014, 11:08 PM
Anyone in particular? Roughead, Talia & Young impressed me in 2013, and we added Fuller & Darley in the off-season

I agree plus there is the developing tall in Roberts and Austin is a fair chance to make it.

Finding a replacement for Murphy is a huge challenge though.

jeemak
10-01-2014, 12:49 AM
I'm a lot more confident in our defensive potential than I was this time last year.

Talia and Roughead look as if they're going to be quite solid for us within two to three years, and I like the look of JJ, and Darley as a recruit for the running ball users. Austin can fill a tall spot if needed, and there's a bloke called Tom Williams (who can't be relied upon entirely) who should be available to fill a tall spot as well.

Injury free, I think Wood has a fair bit to offer still even if his disposal is a bit shonky.

A player like Murphy is always going to be hard to replace, but solid players playing to a good system can be just as if not more effective than one or two highly skilled players dominating a game.

LostDoggy
10-01-2014, 02:53 PM

Likewise impressed with those three, however, Roughhead is the only 'good' player 'in the bank' at this stage. Talia most likely will be 'good' as well, even 'great' and Young should be good too but maybe a depth player.

The rest of the guys are pushing for only the good grading at this stage or completely unknown, question marks over all of them with JJ the stand out likely to be 'good'. The massive positive is that they are still young, with room to improve, but some of these guys will become depth players. Once we lose Murph and Morris (these guys aren't great, they are stars) we will look thin on quality.

We had a 'great' core backline around 2009, a few great players backed up by good players. Morris, Lake, Murph, Gilbee, Hargrave...

The backline is an area I would like to see a quality injection.

I don't think its necessary to bring Tom Williams into the reckoning, he's good for 5 games a year.