PDA

View Full Version : Rate a team in 2014: West Coast Eagles

Dry Rot
10-01-2014, 01:23 AM
The first of three of what I'd call the 2013 disappointment sides.

The Eagles made the prelim in 2012 from nowhere and their fans were expecting at least finals action in 2013. But they failed (to be fair they had a few key injuries NB Nic Nat).

For 2014, they've retired ageing greats like Embley and Kerr and still have one of the best spines in the comp.

But their midfield isn't big or particularly fast or skilful, and lacks size. The faithful will claim that a fit and firing Nic Nat will make the difference.

Fringe 8 at best for me if they can play to their home ground advantage but a mediocre midfield will probably doom them to non-fianls again.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-01-2014, 02:23 AM
Some excellent players (Nic Nat, Darling, Cox, Shuey) but their overall squad looks poor for mine. Home ground advantage aside, I see them in the bottom 5-6.

boydogs
10-01-2014, 03:21 PM
But their midfield isn't big or particularly fast or skilful, and lacks size.

Almost the poster children for the rise of big mids. Compare the expectations and results for West Coast & Fremantle in 2013.

GVGjr
11-01-2014, 09:58 AM
I don't know what to make of West Coast in 2014. They certainly under performed in 2013 and I'm not sure how a new coach will with them. They should improve but it all depends on how their key forwards function. Kennedy and Darling can be a huge handful for opposition defender. A fit and in form Nic Nat makes them that much better.

Go_Dogs
11-01-2014, 10:15 AM
I don't know what to make of West Coast in 2014.

Agreed, really hard side to get a read on.

I think on balance their list is still good enough to play finals and a better run with injuries and continued improvement from a few young, fringe players they should be better this year.

I keep waiting for Shannon Hurn to have his break out season and really stamp himself as an elite player of the competition but it just hasn't happened yet. Hope he has a good year.

bornadog
11-01-2014, 01:01 PM
West Coast need to rethink their forward set up. Going tall like they have really hurt them in 2013 and they were found out. It will be interesting to see what the new coach will do with their game plan as Worsfold had no idea on game day. Cox is getting on now so Nic Nat will have to step up and show consistent form in the ruck for them to be any chance of winning enough to make finals. Middle of the road for mine.

Remi Moses
11-01-2014, 02:54 PM
The coach looked mentally checked out all season .
Rely heavily on Glass and Cox, and they lack midfield pace, class and polish.
Funny they didn't have a key forward in their glory mid 2000's period, but now they've got a team full of them. Need a crumber up forward( all Mark and kick players). Must improve their midfield stocks which will take time. Chance for the eight, if they improve their dreadful home record.