PDA

View Full Version : Rate a team in 2014: North Melbourne

Dry Rot
10-01-2014, 01:38 AM
The third of what I'd call the 2013 disappointment sides.

But unlike WCE and the Crows who had stellar 2012 seasons, the North fans disappointment last year stemmed from so many winnable games they just lost. They could have easily played finals, or perhaps made the top 4. But they didn't.

Was it bad luck? Bad coaching? Or the players choking?

In 2014 they have much the same outfit, plus Del Santo and IIRC Swallow. And their fans will point to the Shinboner Spirit and the Meat Grinder midfield :D

I think they are a good chance to make the 8 in 2014, and from then on it will be a mix of what's between the player's ears and luck.

Thoughts?

The Bulldogs Bite
10-01-2014, 02:29 AM
I have them jumping into the top four. They're ready IMO.

Their list has talent on every line now and adding Dal Santo was a great move. There's obviously questions on their mental strength, but I think 2013 will hold them in good stead.

Petrie, Black, Harvey, Thomas, Hansen/Tarrant is a really dangerous mix and I think they're well equipped in most other areas too.

Remi Moses
10-01-2014, 02:52 AM
Not convinced they're top 4 material.
They have to address their defensive lapses in games and have quite a few down hill Skiers for mine.
Think ability wise they'll make the eight ( good draw as well ) but not top 4.

boydogs
10-01-2014, 03:31 PM
In 2014 they have much the same outfit, plus Del Santo and IIRC Swallow.

David Swallow? They wish :D

jeemak
10-01-2014, 10:32 PM
Not convinced they're top 4 material.
They have to address their defensive lapses in games and have quite a few down hill Skiers for mine.
Think ability wise they'll make the eight ( good draw as well ) but not top 4.

They took a different path in their development than many sides do in that they have left their defensive game to refine until after other areas, much like we did after 2005. Their test is to see if they can tighten up like you say.

If Scott is any good at following through with a plan, this will be the year to see it.

Go_Dogs
11-01-2014, 10:20 AM
I'm not sold on North and think they just lack a few standout guns across most lines on the field. They have some pretty handy players, don't get me wrong - but I think there list still lacks a little of the higher end quality.

No reason why they shouldn't play finals footy though - as their age and experience profile is in the right area and they've shown they can play good H&A footy. Will be interesting to see how they close out the closer games this season and how they handle the step up to finals footy if they make it that far.

boydogs
11-01-2014, 03:37 PM
North remind me of us circa 2007 - made the finals the year before but got smashed in Perth, then missed out whilst showing plenty of promise. Will win plenty of games but are an A grader or two short of really challenging.

Happy Days
11-01-2014, 05:28 PM
North remind me of us circa 2007 - made the finals the year before but got smashed in Perth, then missed out whilst showing plenty of promise. Will win plenty of games but are an A grader or two short of really challenging.

We were brutal in 2007, I don't think a comparison is applicable.

North are obviously going to make some sort of move up the ladder. Commonly sighted as weak defensively but averaged the least points against AND disposals against last year. Their backline is pretty damn good centred around Scott Thompson who is kind of good and not so much just an annoying prick anymore. Lindsay Thomas was sneakily one of the top 25 in the league last year and Petrie is still enormous; coupled with another year of improvement from Aaron Black and I don't think they'll have any trouble kicking winning scores. And I don't think the loss of The Allegedly Good Andrew Swallow will hurt them as much as everyone seems to think.

I've got them pushing top 4, provided they can actually win a clearance in the last 5 minutes of the 4th quarter this year.