PDA

View Full Version : Crameri a perfect fit for Dogs attack: Mooney

bornadog
20-01-2014, 02:46 PM
link (http://www.sen.com.au/display-article-2013/Crameri-a-perfect-fit-for-Dogs-attack-Mooney/63429)

Listen here (https://soundcloud.com/sen1116/cam-mooney-on-morning-glory)

Western Bulldogs forward coach Cameron Mooney told SEN new recruit Stewart Crameri is just the sort of player the team needed to improve it's attack.

Crameri moved across from Essendon on a big money deal and has been impressing on the training track.

“His workrate is phenomenal,” he said.

“His distance running is on par with most guys, but his high-intensity speed – 18kms, 24kms an hour, it’s a massive workload.

“Its exactly what the Dogs needed. They needed someone who can really push up and down the ground, through the middle of the ground and make that option out of the half back line and then push hard back inside 50.”

On top of Crameri’s inclusion in the front half, Mooney said that the Bulldogs midfield group has great depth and has the potential to be on of the best onball brigades in the competition.

"Led by young Libba [Tom Liberatore], who I just think is exceptional with the way he works around those packs and his clearance work,” he said.

"And then obviously Ryan Griffen, who let's be honest he is elite now but you put him in a side that starts having success and you're talking about one of the great midfielders of the competition.

"Watching him at training, I just sometimes laugh to myself because he just embarrasses everybody with how quick he is and how quickly he can get out of situations.

"I'd love to see him with the captaincy on his shoulders this year and see how he goes. I think he's going to be exceptional with it."

The Bulldogs first round draft pick Marcus Bontempelli has also impressed Mooney over the pre-season but no expectations are being placed on how many games he may play in his first year.

"We drafted him as an onballer, and you don't want to put these big statements on him, but he does move a lot like a (Scott) Pendlebury," Mooney said.

"He's that left footer, he's got a lot of time, he looks classy.

"He's just got a lot of time around the ball and that's just a fantastic thing to have.

"I was talking to [development coach] Joel Corey who's done a little bit of work with him and he's quite impressed with what he's seen ... if 'Smithy's' impressed with him, that must mean he's going to be a pretty good player."

The Bulldogs finished 15th last season and while improvement is expected, Mooney said supporters need to have a realistic expectation of where the side may finish.

"They finished the year off in a really positive note and if they can keep improving, and if they're pushing for the eight at the end of the year, then that would be a fantastic result I would think for that footy club," he said.

"I just hope at the end of the year the Bulldogs supporters are saying 'We're not that far away from playing finals again'."

Go_Dogs
20-01-2014, 09:21 PM
Another good article.

Big wrap on Crameri and great to read that Mooney thinks he'll add a lot to our structure and be an important player helping us out on the transition. It's been an issue for us over the past few years.

bornadog
20-01-2014, 10:01 PM
Another good article.

Big wrap on Crameri and great to read that Mooney thinks he'll add a lot to our structure and be an important player helping us out on the transition. It's been an issue for us over the past few years.

I like Mooney, he is a very positive person. He talks about the strengths of players and the opportunities for improvement. Can't wait to see Crameri in the RWB