PDA

View Full Version : Untouchable Bulldog Players

LostDoggy
21-10-2007, 09:18 PM
Was having a discussion with a mate about who we thought were the 5 most untouchable players at our club that we would never think of delisting or trading. I would be interested in knowing who you guys classed as your 'untouchables'.

1- Daniel Cross
2- Brad Johnson
3- Brian Harris
4- Lindsay Gilbee
5- Shaun Higgins

The Coon Dog
21-10-2007, 09:27 PM
1. Ryan Griffen
2. Adam Cooney
3. Robert Murphy
4. Brian Harris
5. Lindsay Gilbee

LostDoggy
21-10-2007, 09:43 PM
1. Daniel Cross
2. Brad Johnson (I'd like to think he'd never leave :) )
3. Lindsay Gilbee
4. Brian Harris
5. Ryan Griffen

LostDoggy
21-10-2007, 09:46 PM
1. Ryan Griffen
2. Adam Cooney
3. Brian Harris
4. Daniel Cross
5. Lindsay Gilbee

I think Johnno's safe...and just for the record, this is me being over-unbiased, we all know who number 1 really is ;)

LostDoggy
21-10-2007, 09:52 PM
I think just about everyone is an option to be traded if the right offer presented itself although I will grant that Johnson and West are just about untouchable given their age and games played etc.

Not that I see this happening but is anyone seriously saying that they wouldn't trade Cross for Pavlich or Gilbee for a young gun like Travis Cloke? Maybe you wouldn't but you would be mad not to consider it.

At a guess I think Harris, Griffen and Cooney would be safe.

LostDoggy
21-10-2007, 09:58 PM
I think just about everyone is an option to be traded if the right offer presented itself although I will grant that Johnson and West are just about untouchable given their age and games played etc.

Yeah probably so but I think we get attached to our players and can be blind sighted sometimes and would never entertain thoughts of trading even though it might be a good offer. McMahon going to Richmond really upset me because I liked the bloke but now I realise that we can cover him and I was only annoyed because he wanted to leave us. Does that make sense or am I blabbering too much. :)

The Coon Dog
21-10-2007, 10:03 PM
Yeah probably so but I think we get attached to our players and can be blind sighted sometimes and would never entertain thoughts of trading even though it might be a good offer. McMahon going to Richmond really upset me because I liked the bloke but now I realise that we can cover him and I was only annoyed because he wanted to leave us. Does that make sense or am I blabbering too much. :)

As Marty McFly said in 'Back To the Future', it makes perfect sense.

LostDoggy
21-10-2007, 10:34 PM
Could you trade a guy who loves the club so much like Murphy, to get a Pavlich or someone of the like?

LostDoggy
21-10-2007, 10:36 PM
Could you trade a guy who loves the club so much like Murphy, to get a Pavlich or someone of the like?

I'm sorry but I could. Pavlich could make us into a genuine top four team. I might be the only one who thinks so but a trade like that is a win for us by a fair margin. I wouldn't want to lose him for a marginally better player but Pavlich is one of the best in the competition and plays in a position we need a lot of help in.

Dry Rot
22-10-2007, 12:11 AM
Agreed - if say Jon Brown or Pavlich wanted to come here, then most players would be on the trade table.

Having said that, dunno if I'm comfortable with that WCE Kennedy deal.

GVGjr
22-10-2007, 12:21 AM
Agreed - if say Jon Brown or Pavlich wanted to come here, then most players would be on the trade table.

Having said that, dunno if I'm comfortable with that WCE Kennedy deal.

The Kennedy deal is nowhere near the same issue and we shouldn't blur the two of them together. This one is more about would you trade a player like Cross for a Pavlich or a Brown. After losing Nathan and Jordie in recent years for better financial deals I'm leaning towards saying that most players are expendable for the right offer.

Dry Rot
22-10-2007, 12:24 AM
The Kennedy deal is nowhere near the same issue and we shouldn't blur the two of them together. This one is more about would you trade a player like Cross for a Pavlich or a Brown. After losing Nathan and Jordie in recent years for better financial deals I'm leaning towards saying that most players are expendable for the right offer.

Sadly this is modern football. I was shocked that the Swans shopped Jude Bolton around.

BulldogBelle
22-10-2007, 12:36 AM
Sadly this is modern football. I was shocked that the Swans shopped Jude Bolton around.

There is not much loyalty left in football - no one is exempt from being shopped around. Don't think we will hear many more Chris Grant 20c stories in the future - those days are long gone.

Go_Dogs
22-10-2007, 10:05 AM
1. Cooney
2. Griffen
3. Everitt
4. Williams
5. Higgins

Johnno and Westy are 'givens' to me. These would be the five guys that we can build a serious premiership contending side around, imo.

Scorlibo
22-10-2007, 12:18 PM
1 - Cross
2 - Harris
3 - Griffen
4 - Gilbee
5 - Johnson

LostDoggy
22-10-2007, 05:57 PM
1. Harris- Premier FB of the comp
2. Williams- Future AA CHB
3. Murphy- Our best player
4. Everitt- Young and already something special
5. Cooney- Jet, has all the attributes
6. Gilbee- Best rebounding defender in the comp
7. Cross- Heart of the midfield
8. Griffen- See Cooney

Johnson would attract little interest considering his age and would at best demand a late top 10 pick. But theres no point in even arguing that case, hes going no where.

The rest i would be happy to look at some possible trades.

LostDoggy
22-10-2007, 06:27 PM
Harris the premier full back in the comp? Is that a joke? I'm not a huge fan of Harris (poor disposal, loose, cant contain key forwards, has to many 'bad games', gives away stupid free kicks, gets reported and his field kicking in rnd 21 v Melbourne cost Dogs a place in 2005 finals, ).
What about Darren Glass? Matthew Scarlett? Luke McPharlin?
Brian Harris is a liability!!!

LostDoggy
22-10-2007, 06:51 PM
Harris the premier full back in the comp? Is that a joke? I'm not a huge fan of Harris (poor disposal, loose, cant contain key forwards, has to many 'bad games', gives away stupid free kicks, gets reported and his field kicking in rnd 21 v Melbourne cost Dogs a place in 2005 finals, ).

Jerry, we are a mile apart on this. I can cop that Harris might not be the best fullback in the comptetion and I can also cop that there might actually be a couple of others ahead of him but to say Harris is a liability to our team is just not correct.
He had a very good 2007 and is still getting better. He has cut down substantially on giving away free kicks even though the rules now favour the forwards. His disposal has also improved over the last two years.
I suppose I should respect you opinions but clearly you are making this increasingly harder to.

LostDoggy
22-10-2007, 06:59 PM
He did take some nice marks down back this year. But his job is to limit the full forward. He failed!

LostDoggy
22-10-2007, 07:07 PM
He did take some nice marks down back this year. But his job is to limit the full forward. He failed!

From memory I think he got beaten 3 times this years but you probably have a different view on this.

The Coon Dog
22-10-2007, 07:21 PM

Can't agree either jerry. The bloke just won our Best & Fairest! If he's our best & is such a liability, what does it say about the rest of the team.

I don't recall him being reported this season. Loose! Just ask the G Train how loose he was this season. I would have thought Shaggy probably gives away more 'stupid' free kicks than Brian. I recall Lindsay Gilbee kicking out from full back in that game against Melbourne, straight to Adem Yze 15 metres out from goal, so even the best stuffed up that night.

LostDoggy
22-10-2007, 07:22 PM
I believe it was more. You cannot rely on him. My bum twitches when he gets the ball

LostDoggy
22-10-2007, 07:27 PM
Yes you are right, Gilbee had a bad kick that night. I never said "Shaggy" was a great defender. He's a honest toiler, bit like Brian. No he wasn't reported this year, missed the first two games though.

BulldogBelle
22-10-2007, 08:07 PM
1. Cross
2. Griffen
3. Cooney
4. Harris
5. Gilbee

Crizza
22-10-2007, 08:16 PM
1. Johnson
2. West
3. Cooney
4. Griffin
5. Higgins

This list is very hard to write given how attached we all become to the players.

BulldogBelle
22-10-2007, 08:20 PM
This list is very hard to write given how attached we all become to the players.

I agree Crizza, I purposely didn't put Johnno and West on my list because I thought that those two being in the 30s they will finish their career with the Dogs. (Well I hope so, anyway!)

Crizza
22-10-2007, 08:52 PM
I agree Crizza, I purposely didn't put Johnno and West on my list because I thought that those two being in the 30s they will finish their career with the Dogs. (Well I hope so, anyway!)

I thought about their age, but like you BB and many others, I want to see them both finish with the Dogs, hence they are untouchable.

Bulldogs_6
22-10-2007, 09:55 PM
1- Cooney
2- Griffen
3- Higgins
4- Harris
5- Pick 5 (literally) :)

Sockeye Salmon
22-10-2007, 11:24 PM

Jerry, the time is getting close that you take your miserable arse back to BigFooty.

This board was started up to avoid people like you.

LostDoggy
23-10-2007, 11:33 AM
People like me? Just because I don't like naming my fav bulldogs jumper or wishing Rob Murphy well? I don't think Brian Harris is the 'premier fb' in the comp, whats wrong with a different point of view and a sh*T stir?

GVGjr
23-10-2007, 11:39 AM
People like me? Just because I don't like naming my fav bulldogs jumper or wishing Rob Murphy well? I don't think Brian Harris is the 'premier fb' in the comp, whats wrong with a different point of view and a sh*T stir?

The different point of view is fine as long as you go to the effort of supporting it with some valid reasons. This hasn't been a strong point of yours.

If you are just coming on just to stir and make distasteful comments like you did with Mainwaring then you can ply your trade elsewhere.

The Underdog
23-10-2007, 12:41 PM

Which part of the word supporter don't you understand?
I'm sure we've all got negative opinions of some players on the list and I understand not wanting to contribute to "twee" threads like the Murphy baby one. However to call the player who just won our B&F a liability makes me wonder exactly what you are getting out of "contributing" to this board. I agree he isn't the premier fb in the comp but I thought Harris worked manfully this year often in a backline that was bombarded because of constant midfield and defensive turnovers. Sure he may be a level below Glass, Scarlett and Rutten, but you'll find that those guys have excellent support from their fellow backs and the mids especially in Geelong's case. Harris' marking on the last line was incredibly important this year and saved more goals than he might have been responsible for giving away. Yes he still puts in the occassional shocker but his consistency and discipline have improved out of sight.
I don't understand why you'd want to shit-stir on a board made up purely of other Dogs supporters. I understand putting your thoughts, be they negative or otherwise, into context during a discussion, but to just try and piss people off when we're all part of a common cause seems to make you part of a problem nobody here wants to put up with. The nature of the board means that some people are going to have rosier views of certain players than they probably deserve but that's part of the attachment we all share to our club.

LostDoggy
23-10-2007, 12:50 PM
I agree that Harris isn't helped by fellow backline players and a lack of defensive midfield pressure. Nice post by the way Underdog

Ipaidmy200in89
23-10-2007, 01:58 PM
No one is untouchable.

firstdogonthemoon
23-10-2007, 02:02 PM
I believe it was more. You cannot rely on him. My bum twitches when he gets the ball

This is way more information than I need.

The Underdog
23-10-2007, 02:10 PM
I agree that Harris isn't helped by fellow backline players and a lack of defensive midfield pressure. Nice post by the way Underdog

Hopefully this year we'll have a more cohesive unit and better defensive pressure from our mids so that his job is easier. Also hopefully a full pre-season and some more games into Williams and players hitting targets when they run off their man.
We all know there were problems with the team at the end of the year, we have to have some faith that these will be worked on over the pre-season.
Cheers.

Mantis
23-10-2007, 02:57 PM
Hopefully this year we'll have a more cohesive unit and better defensive pressure from our mids so that his job is easier. Also hopefully a full pre-season and some more games into Williams and players hitting targets when they run off their man.
We all know there were problems with the team at the end of the year, we have to have some faith that these will be worked on over the pre-season.
Cheers.

More importantly is the lack of defensive effort from the forwards, it all snowballs from there.

The forwards as a group must lift there defensive output.

The Underdog
23-10-2007, 03:24 PM
More importantly is the lack of defensive effort from the forwards, it all snowballs from there.

The forwards as a group must lift there defensive output.

I agree and this is a place where Johnno can set a standard as captain. It's never been a strength of his game & if he comes out early in the season and starts chasing hard and putting pressure on it'll send a real positive message to the rest of the team that this is what's required. He doesn't have a lot of deficiencies but this is certainly a way he can improve.

Topdog
23-10-2007, 04:55 PM
I can't believe someone thinks that Harris failed to contain FF's this year. I'd like to know 5 games where he was soundly beaten and have that backed up by facts.

Dry Rot
23-10-2007, 04:57 PM
Should we consider having a "defensive forward"?

Topdog
23-10-2007, 05:26 PM

Robbins part 2?

IMO no but we need to force our players to be more accountable.

LostDoggy
23-10-2007, 07:47 PM
Robbins part 2?

IMO no but we need to force our players to be more accountable.

Was about to say!
Maybe if we moves Shaggy up forward he could do a bit of defensive work?
I dont really see the use in recruiting a specific defensive forward, maybe Higgins or one of the smaller forwards could be used more defensively.

Mantis
23-10-2007, 08:04 PM

It's not just one players responsibility, each and every player no matter what position they play need to improve the defensive aspects of their game.

GVGjr
23-10-2007, 08:07 PM
It's not just one players responsibility, each and every player no matter what position they play need to improve the defensive aspects of their game.

Fully agree but I tend to think that sometime can really set the on field tempo for the others. A couple of years back when Robbo was doing it brilliantly, the others used to lift a bit as well.

Mantis
23-10-2007, 08:21 PM
Fully agree but I tend to think that sometime can really set the on field tempo for the others. A couple of years back when Robbo was doing it brilliantly, the others used to lift a bit as well.

Fair enough, if you look at the other teams who have this defensive type who sets the tone for the others to follow you invariably find this player to be an aboriginal. Aboriginal seem to like these run downs as they are blessed normally with blistering pace .ie. the Davey boys, Hooper, etc..

By this reckoning I would look to Harbrow and Lynch to fill this role over the coming years.

GVGjr
23-10-2007, 08:27 PM
Fair enough, if you look at the other teams who have this defensive type who sets the tone for the others to follow you invariably find this player to be an aboriginal. Aboriginal seem to like these run downs as they are blessed normally with blistering pace .ie. the Davey boys, Hooper, etc..

By this reckoning I would look to Harbrow and Lynch to fill this role over the coming years.

I hadn't thought of Harbrow as a roving forward but I quite like that idea. The fact that the defensive side of his game is already sound really appeals as a defensive but dangerous forward.

LostDoggy
23-10-2007, 08:30 PM
I dont believe you need a 'defensive' forward. Look at Phil Matera, he would kick his 3 goals a game and would harrass,chase and smother. Thats how every player should play

LostDoggy
23-10-2007, 09:58 PM
Myne are in no particular order but here it goes (and i went for 6)

Scott West - obviously...absolute champion of the game, most deserving player who hasnt won a brownlow
Brad Johnson - best leader of the club, great atittude, would make a brilliant coach in the future.
Lindsay Gilbee - our best kick, great defensive skills, wouldnt trade him for anything

and to the newer ones
Andrejs Everitt - this kid is the future..we should never put him up for trade, i believe once hes got more games and puts some good weight on..his brother has nothing on what he is going to be. So much confidence and skill.
Matthew BoyD - simply going to get better and better, scott wests replacement for sure.
Ryan Griffin - Griff is a freight train and will be such a great asset to our club, no matter what position. He is def the one im most looking forward to watching next year

Go_Dogs
24-10-2007, 12:14 PM
I certainly see guys like Harbrow and Lynch playing defensive forward roles in the future. It was something that we really lacked this year. Another reason why I don't mind Cooney resting forwards.

Mantis
24-10-2007, 12:20 PM
I certainly see guys like Harbrow and Lynch playing defensive forward roles in the future. It was something that we really lacked this year. Another reason why I don't mind Cooney resting forwards.

Yeah the efforts of player's such as Higgins, Johnson and Murphy was prettty ordinary to say the least in applying defensive pressure to the opposition.

It should be a real focus through the pre-season to improve this area of there individual games. Offensively they were/are our best forwards, but they let us down big time with there defensive efforts.

katemeehan
24-10-2007, 07:16 PM
Griffen
Higgins
Everitt

They're the young ones that should never even be considered for trading...in my opinion. Darcy said a little while ago that he thinks Griff will become a Judd, Cousins-type superstar. Cant wait for his full recovery from the knee and bowel issues.

BulldogBelle
24-10-2007, 07:50 PM
Griffen
Higgins
Everitt

What an exciting bunch those three are, I would add Cooney into that group also.

LostDoggy
24-10-2007, 08:21 PM
What an exciting bunch those three are, I would add Cooney into that group also.

When Cooney is playing well, he is incredible! Some games he is on fire and its amazing......whats also amazing is his drastic weekly hair changes ;)

BulldogBelle
24-10-2007, 11:48 PM
..whats also amazing is his drastic weekly hair changes ;)

Yes, it is at times 'pick the hairstyle' with Cooney, there were a few occasions during the season from a distance I couldn't tell Aker and Cooney apart with their hairdo's.

LostDoggy
25-10-2007, 04:07 PM
there were a few occasions during the season from a distance I couldn't tell Aker and Cooney apart with their hairdo's.

Haha I agree with that, especially sometimes when you are squinting from the 3rd level (Damn non-member friends..)
Yeah when Cooneys having a good game, he's unstoppable, but if its a bad one, its a shocker.

katemeehan
25-10-2007, 08:45 PM
Yes, it is at times 'pick the hairstyle' with Cooney, there were a few occasions during the season from a distance I couldn't tell Aker and Cooney apart with their hairdo's.

& I remember there was a couple of games this year when it was ultra-short and he looked like Eags from 3rd level haha

BulldogBelle
25-10-2007, 11:50 PM
& I remember there was a couple of games this year when it was ultra-short and he looked like Eags from 3rd level haha

Yeah he has definitely experimented with a few different looks during the seaon, nevertheless is Cooney is definitely an "untouchable" and I am looking forward to watching him play next season.