PDA

View Full Version : Who's getting caught up with the hype?

Hotdog60
27-01-2014, 12:46 PM
With our finish last year and a lot of positive signs from our players I am increasingly getting more and more excited about the up and coming season.

I know we have a long way to go as the coaches have said but with the recruitment over the last couple of years I see a lot of positives coming our way.

I see a few of the scribes have a positive outlook for us and one journo putting just out of the eight (around 9,10 or 11).

I believe if all the moons align and injury stay away we may make the 8.

I'm fully on board as the optimistic supporter and can't wait for it to start.:D

Eastdog
27-01-2014, 12:59 PM
Yeah I'm looking forward to it as well HD60. We have some exciting youngsters coming through. Don't want to get too far ahead but I'm hoping we finish somewhere between 9th and 11th pushing for a top 8 spot.

Bulldog4life
27-01-2014, 01:20 PM
I'm keen each year to be honest but this year very excited. I love the fact that we have our own VFL team and I am anticipating continued improvement in our younger players too. The game plan Macca has implemented is a tough take no prisoners game plan and I look forward to this becoming more potent. It wouldn't surprise me if we snuck into the bottom part of the 8.

ledge
27-01-2014, 01:24 PM
I am excited too but it seems all teams are flying at this time of year. I think we will get an idea at the NAB cup games.

bulldogtragic
27-01-2014, 02:15 PM
This is always the best part of the year!

We've come off trade weeks where we think we've done well.
We think we've recruited half a dozen gun players.
Training reports are great, including Shaun Higgins updates.
And the only negative news can be an injury (poor Granty).

It's just like Andy Dufresne says, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things.

w3design
27-01-2014, 02:27 PM
I too am excited about the upcoming season. However as BMac regularly points out it takes about 4 preseasons, and 50 plus games before young kids are ready to make a significant contribution. A lot of the guys who are going to become our best 22 are still below both those parameters for 2014.
I can't see us being sufficiently developed to play out an entire season at a sufficiently high level. This will mean breaks out of the seniors, and regular changes in the lineup week to week. This is likely to limit a significantly enough high number of wins to make the finals just yet.

The modern game, and particularly the way BMac wants us to play it is so physically and mentally taxing that kids will find it very difficult to maintain form and condition before 2015 I feel.

Besides the coaches still have quite a few 'wrinkles' to iron out in plenty of player's games, so we become better in maintaining possession. Disposal by both hand and foot, along with knowing where to stand in relation to opponents, and running patterns still need work, along with my old bugbear of players never taking their eye off where the ball is, and who has possession.

The AFL's new rotation limitation policy will also create difficulties for teams with more young players.

All that said, I am still optimistic that we will have our best season since we last played finals. I have thought all along we will likely finish the season between 12-8, on the back of a significantly more competitive, and hopefully consistent season.

always right
27-01-2014, 04:14 PM
I haven't looked forward to a season as much as this one since Eade's second year (after we narrowly missed the finals) and the season we recruited Barry Hall and won the NAB Cup.

I don't expect to make the finals but I think we are going to see some really exciting development amongst our younger guys.

I see 2015 as a year we can look to finals. The key will be whether the likes of Murphy, Morris and Minson are still playing at a high level just as the rest of the team are on the rise as I still see those three as critical to our performance in the short term.

SonofScray
27-01-2014, 05:28 PM
I am really excited about things. Just listened to Coach McCartney talk on the website and while he has been a topic of debate, I have to say I love the bloke. There is a flag that wags in our future. When we find ourselves in that space, we'll be ready. There'll be no excuses.

GVGjr
27-01-2014, 06:14 PM
I'm cautiously optimistic. I understand that we were dismal in the first half of the season in 2013 but we finished the last 7 or 8 games strongly. The draw is tough but if we can sneak a few wins and build some momentum then the hype will be well justified.

Really looking forward to this season.

Eastdog
27-01-2014, 06:59 PM
It's really great to hear the optimism from everyone regarding how will fare in 2014. We are in a better position I reckon compared to clubs like St. Kilda and Melbourne.

Greystache
27-01-2014, 08:46 PM
I'm cautiously optimistic. We showed some great form towards the end of last season, and we beat some decent teams that had plenty to play for. Logic suggests we should improve considerably and we should be amongst the teams that are competing for a top 8 spot, but at the same time we have a lot of young players and a steady rate of improvement is not always guaranteed. A drop off from our recent good form would be hugely disappointing.

Eastdog
27-01-2014, 09:00 PM
I'm cautiously optimistic. We showed some great form towards the end of last season, and we beat some decent teams that had plenty to play for. Logic suggests we should improve considerably and we should be amongst the teams that are competing for a top 8 spot, but at the same time we have a lot of young players and a steady rate of improvement is not always guaranteed. A drop off from our recent good form would be hugely disappointing.

How many wins for us do you reckon would be considered a good 2014 in your view Greystache?

lemmon
27-01-2014, 09:02 PM
Is there any reason we can't have a Port Adelaide type resurgence and make a more than decent charge at the 8? Another year into some quality youth should do wonders, we added another very good performer in Crameri while Griffen and Minson should have big years. I'm pumped

bornadog
28-01-2014, 12:18 AM
It feels like the whole club is in the best position it has been in its 120 plus year history. More so off the field, however, I am excited we have a VFL team and can't wait to see what improvement we have made in the seniors. I can't wait to see Macrae, Hrovat, JJ, Stringer etc etc etc.

LostDoggy
28-01-2014, 07:38 AM
This is always the best part of the year!

We've come off trade weeks where we think we've done well.
We think we've recruited half a dozen gun players.
Training reports are great, including Shaun Higgins updates.
And the only negative news can be an injury (poor Granty).

It's just like Andy Dufresne says, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things.
Andy only had to wait 19 years for his redemption.

It feels like the whole club is in the best position it has been in its 120 plus year history. More so off the field, however, I am excited we have a VFL team and can't wait to see what improvement we have made in the seniors. I can't wait to see Macrae, Hrovat, JJ, Stringer etc etc etc.
It's exciting!

bulldogtragic
28-01-2014, 12:34 PM
Andy only had to wait 19 years for his redemption.

It's exciting!
Exactly, 19 years is nothing! 60 years for some on this board.

Ozza
28-01-2014, 12:40 PM
On one hand I am very optimistic about the team - in terms of the current group and coach - and where we are headed overall.

But I am also worried about supporter expectations for this year. It is assumed that we will just pick up where we left off last year - but there we are also a chance to lose a couple early, and losing some of that confidence we found last year - which could see our young side hit a tough patch.
We had a great crop of 1st year players last year - but how often do we see 2nd year blues for players - particularly as they adjust to putting on more size, and also get more attention from the opposition.

Overall improvement for the year is all I am expecting at this stage.

In terms of the longer term future - I'm very bullish. I've never been more confident about us having a successful period (ahead), than what I am now. Our list of players between the ages of 18-24, the depth of this group, looks as good as I've seen us have. And I have faith that the current coach is the best person we have ever had at the club, to develop them into a great team.

LostDoggy
29-01-2014, 08:11 AM
If we do make the finals, hopefully they put us on Sunday Afternoon @ Etihad

G-Mo77
29-01-2014, 10:10 AM
But I am also worried about supporter expectations for this year. It is assumed that we will just pick up where we left off last year - but there we are also a chance to lose a couple early, and losing some of that confidence we found last year - which could see our young side hit a tough patch.

I see us dropping our first 3 and think the sack the coach lines will come out shortly after.

Go_Dogs
29-01-2014, 11:31 AM
It's really hard to get a read on where we may end up, but I think as others have pointed out if we see continued improvement and development from our younger players, a more consistently competitive team effort and a few good wins against the better sides we can be happy with the season.

Part of me believes we can shoot up the ladder this year, as we do have some top line players and others emerging who may take that step this year - but the competition will also improve in most cases and other factors, such as injury, will play their part.

Eastdog
29-01-2014, 05:35 PM
I see us dropping our first 3 and think the sack the coach lines will come out shortly after.

They shouldn't really as it is very early in the season. We are a chance against West Coast but will be tough over there. North will beat us and I'm hoping we are much more competitive against Richmond.

LostDoggy
29-01-2014, 09:04 PM
I honestly think we will über close to top 8 this year, we may not go past the first week but still will be an absolute achievement to make it that far. We are looking like we could challenge for the flag next year or the year after